Trip Report We Kept Genie in the Lamp *COMPLETED*

50 years later, what goes around comes around.

Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom opened in 1971 with an admission charge and an attraction ticket system. Admission got you into the park (and onto the free If You Had Wings, sponsored by Eastern Airlines) but every ride required a separate ticket (A,B,C,D,E) which varied in price based on the attraction’s “value.” E-tickets were the most expensive (this is where the expression “it’s an E-ticket ride!” originated) and cost 90 cents apiece. Ticket books bundled A-E together for a reduced cost, but there were never enough E’s (and always leftover A’s and B’s.) Not to worry though ~ each land had its own ticket booth (think tiny kiosk) where individual attraction tickets could be purchased (assuming your parents said yes. 😉)

This was the system for over a decade. The introduction of all-day Passports (and eventual Park Hoppers) was a welcome relief for guests ~ ride what you want as many times as you want for no additional cost. Yes, you had to wait in line. Lines that often were very long. But it was a SIMPLE system.

When Fastpass was introduced at the turn of the century, it required some strategic planning and lots of extra walking to obtain the paper FPs in order to “skip” a line. Fastpass+ exacerbated strategic planning to a whole ‘nother level. But it was a FREE system.

Genie, Genie+, Lightning Lane and Individual Lightning Lane have thrown SIMPLE and FREE out the window. And now in 2021, we’re back to admission and paying for attractions.

But not us.

At least not this trip.

This vacation was a respite for me as I grieve the recent loss of my father. It was a time for memories and nostalgia. A time for keeping things simple.

I’m ready to share if you’re ready to read.

Who: Tuvalu and Woody
When: October 22-29, 2021
Where: Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort

E56222A6-3666-4F9B-91B8-9CA5F00EB7BD.jpeg

If you’d like to read about my very first trip to Walt Disney World:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Saturday, con’t

Woody opted to rest in the room upon our return to the Poly.

But I had a different plan in mind.

9F1A6CA8-AE15-4B2C-A3BE-8E4C360775A2.jpeg

Sure that’s an entrance to the Oasis pool bar, but I wasn’t drinking. I was lounging!

Apparently mine was not a unique idea, as I snagged the last available pool lounger. What a change from April when there were only a handful of guests at each pool. With the resort now fully open, it became clear to us over the week that the Poly was fully booked.

I settled in my chair and called Em. When our chat was over I did something I never expected I’d do at the end of October ~ I went in the pool!

F9AF5E49-0258-4732-8505-C2A7F7AAAC68.jpeg

It felt like summer. I love summer. My “bonus summer” of 2021 will forever be a fond memory.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Saturday, con’t

Woody booked us dinner at Trail’s End and we headed over around 6 pm. Two relaxing boat rides got us there.

CCD98108-B01B-43E4-AA03-97A5A0010B97.jpeg

Florida sunsets are AH.MAY.ZING!!

49800E38-059E-459D-9E6C-A260CCC5D9E7.jpeg

(Almost as pretty as Guernsey’s, @Mr Ferret 88.)

There has been much grumbling on these boards that WDW isn’t celebrating the 50th anniversary in enough ways.

Construction tarps at the Contemporary beg to differ! :joyfull:

CE71BF69-EBE5-4997-B6D5-C5470474D6E8.jpeg

Honey, I Shrunk Cruella DeVil was awaiting us at the campground dock.

3B6271D3-F1E8-4364-AE96-11AC5D04056A.jpeg

3D74BC9B-C2C1-4108-8D1C-515BBEA061F1.jpeg

We’ve arrived.

BA6A02A5-90EA-4C34-A338-8817600033AB.jpeg

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
Saturday, con’t

Since I had spent my entire lunch overlooking the attraction a visit was a must.

View attachment 600581

A Muppets Haunted Mansion overlay? Yes, please!

View attachment 600582

We went straight inside but guests were being held a short distance from the preshow room. Since we were stopped I had the opportunity to test something I hadn’t in a while.

View attachment 600583

TRUTH! The key is still under the mat.

View attachment 600584

While we were waiting an older man in a wheelchair arrived at the entrance wearing a gaiter mask. The CM turned him away. He asked if there were any disposable masks and she told him no, “you need to bring your own.”

While I appreciate the CM upholding the mask rule, I admit to being surprised that there were no disposables available (even for a price.) But I was more surprised that this man had gotten so far into the park wearing a gaiter around his neck….why hadn’t someone told him that gaiters were not allowed? (Never mind the fact that he should have known the mask policy before arriving!)

A few minutes later we began to move as guests were allowed into the preshow. A different CM began to loudly instruct: “Cover ALL available carpet. Move ALL the way down.”

Yep, Covid protocols were gone!

The preshow preview was about to begin.

View attachment 600585

Unlike the preshow that incorporated Muppets Most Wanted a few years ago, I really liked this Haunted Mansion version. But then I really liked Muppets Haunted Mansion, so I may be biased.

Pepe makes me laugh every time.

View attachment 600586

I’m glad Woody and I were able to see this temporary change. I believe the preshow is back to usual now.
Following along!!

Not going to see Muppets was one of my very FEW regrets from last trip.
We have not been in, MANY, MANY years, and I had it on my list as a 'to do'.

My son and I got in line and got as far as the key under the mat (which I showed him for the first time, he can remember)
but then my wife called me with some issue that I can't recall now and we got out of line and never returned.

The look on my grown son's face when he saw the key REALLY was under the mat was a good memory though.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Saturday, con’t

Ahhh, Trail’s End.

A fave go-to where we’ve never had a bad meal. Food is always yummy, satisfying and plentiful.

Only a few times have we had less than stellar service, but those have drifted from my memory.

Tonight I will never forget.

Woody and I were seated immediately upon check-in. Our table was in Crockett’s Tavern, which no longer has bar seating. It would be a long trek to the buffet from there ~ but that wasn’t an issue, since the buffet had not reopened. Trail’s End was serving a family-style meal, all you can eat. (The space that the buffet occupies was cordoned off by those fake moving planters that Disney is fond of using.)

DF105F1D-7CEA-4860-B595-9005AE5260E3.jpeg

(Woody did not intentionally coordinate his shirt with dinner.)

There were several tables around us that belonged to server one (whom I’ll call SO.) Though obviously busy, SO was smiling, bringing drink refills and inquiring of each table if anything was needed. We assumed SO was our server, thus we waited patiently for more than 10 minutes for him to greet us and take our drink order.

But SO never came to our table.

Five more minutes passed and a second server (whom I’ll call SLOW) arrived in our section. There were two tables behind me (that I couldn’t see) that belonged to him. Woody watched as SLOW dropped off a check and a couple drink refills. Finally he came over to us.

He was pleasant enough as he explained the family-style menu and asked what we’d like to drink. There was no apology for his delay, but it became clear soon enough that he probably did not know care that we’d been waiting over a quarter of an hour for him.

He did bring our drinks and bread promptly. But the salad and main platter were brought by a food runner.

Look at the paper in the bread basket. 😍 (Take that, 50th grumblers!)

1853A189-92A6-4253-8949-B03C50B65158.jpeg

The cornbread and goat cheese chive biscuits were very good. We don’t eat hush puppies so I can’t comment on those.

The chopped salad came with a warm room temperature bacon vinaigrette.

0E753BD4-1537-4BBF-8A96-D63935E43849.jpeg

I’m certain it was SLOW’s responsibility to notify the kitchen when we were ready for the main course. But since SLOW had disappeared (which he would do for long stretches at a time and he had no tables in any other section but ours), we waited quite awhile for our Smokehouse Skillet.

424801F7-30B3-4B0E-B167-9E33AD0FFED1.jpeg

The standout here was the pecan-smoked brisket ~ fork-tender, moist and smoky. And literally only two slices, so of course we wanted more! Therein lay the challenge…..we’d have to track down SLOW.

As the minutes ticked by, I knew we’d never make it back to the boat dock in time to watch fireworks. Under normal circumstances we would have had plenty of time to eat, settle the bill and make that short walk. Despite my being Disenchanted by MK’s new show, it was still fireworks!

Eventually a runner brought us more brisket, as we heard the BOOM of skyrockets in the distance.

Our water glasses were now empty and I managed to grab SLOW’s attention as he was cleaning the table behind me. “Could we have some more water?” I asked while holding up my glass.

Seeing that we were right next to the bar I thought SLOW could walk over and just grab the water pitcher.

A22E50F1-DD82-4E97-8E5F-0AB9DAE199D3.jpeg

Silly me. Don’t know where he went, but we did not see him again for 15 minutes.

When he returned with water he asked if we were ready for dessert. (DESSERT?! You mean this meal isn’t over yet?)

“It’s a giant sundae that comes in a cowboy hat!” SLOW said a little too enthusiastically. “And it’s got chocolate covered bacon!”

Yeah, chocolate covered bacon wasn’t exactly a selling point for us. :depressed:

But as was typical, he disappeared before we could say, “hold the bacon.”

Two pictures of the Covered Wagon Sundae.

5977EB27-5661-4133-A841-87CA95B5804E.jpeg

E74DB638-CB57-48BF-A1D8-110D563974F9.jpeg

It was a mish-mash. Cool if you’re with kids, not so much for us. A few spoonfuls and we called it quits.

I was smart enough to ask SLOW for the check when he brought out dessert. I did tip an amount commensurate with the (lack of) service he provided.

As we exited the restaurant Woody remarked, “You wouldn’t expect a family-style meal to take an hour and 45 minutes.”

Indeed.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
One good thing that came from our super-long dinner was the opportunity to admire nearby RV sites that were all decked out for Halloween!

76F63716-C201-4258-A828-DF9E0BE95ABD.jpeg

I could see the bright orange illumination as we left Trail’s End. “Oooh, let’s go look!” I said to Woody.

E8301AA9-8C7A-43BD-BB27-E2D17AFB58BB.jpeg

In the past we’ve enjoyed touring the campground during the holiday season to see the lights and displays. I never expected the same would be done for Halloween!

4CB49D7E-C103-495F-B3A2-C86AA97F0D2F.jpeg

8E25178F-B97A-4484-8D37-A8877848BCE1.jpeg

The headless horseman inflatable was certainly unique!

D10043DF-46DC-4182-A72C-421F76F705B5.jpeg

But I found Cinderella’s pumpkin coach most impressive.

5A8CFE96-1102-4007-A806-0387431F85AE.jpeg

Our stroll through the Halloween wonderland was definitely better than watching fireworks from the dock. Speaking of which, Woody and I ended up being the only ones on that dock waiting for a boat. We knew the MK had closed but hoped there would still be boats running to get us back to MK….and (worse case scenario) we could always walk to Poly from MK.

We (nervously) waited a good 20 minutes for a boat to arrive and were able to board. Phew!

Nighttime beauty on Bay Lake.

43DA896B-BE51-4316-B48F-100137D87542.jpeg

Guests were waiting to board the GF/Poly boat when we got to MK. No long walk back necessary!

lindawdw

Well, that service at Trail's End was definitely not magical but the food looked pretty good. Sorry you missed the fireworks but getting the chance to see the RV decorations was a great substitute!!! We did the carriage ride at the Christmas holiday season one time and loved how all the campers decorated their sites!!! It is magical taking that boat ride to the resort day or night. 🥰

amjt660

Premium Member
As we exited the restaurant Woody remarked, “You wouldn’t expect a family-style meal to take an hour and 45 minutes.”
Gotta love Woody's comment - a simple observation that has a bite to it!

Our stroll through the Halloween wonderland was definitely better than watching fireworks from the dock.
Sometimes things happen for a reason....

Max

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom