Trip Report We Kept Genie in the Lamp *COMPLETED*

50 years later, what goes around comes around.

Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom opened in 1971 with an admission charge and an attraction ticket system. Admission got you into the park (and onto the free If You Had Wings, sponsored by Eastern Airlines) but every ride required a separate ticket (A,B,C,D,E) which varied in price based on the attraction’s “value.” E-tickets were the most expensive (this is where the expression “it’s an E-ticket ride!” originated) and cost 90 cents apiece. Ticket books bundled A-E together for a reduced cost, but there were never enough E’s (and always leftover A’s and B’s.) Not to worry though ~ each land had its own ticket booth (think tiny kiosk) where individual attraction tickets could be purchased (assuming your parents said yes. 😉)

This was the system for over a decade. The introduction of all-day Passports (and eventual Park Hoppers) was a welcome relief for guests ~ ride what you want as many times as you want for no additional cost. Yes, you had to wait in line. Lines that often were very long. But it was a SIMPLE system.

When Fastpass was introduced at the turn of the century, it required some strategic planning and lots of extra walking to obtain the paper FPs in order to “skip” a line. Fastpass+ exacerbated strategic planning to a whole ‘nother level. But it was a FREE system.

Genie, Genie+, Lightning Lane and Individual Lightning Lane have thrown SIMPLE and FREE out the window. And now in 2021, we’re back to admission and paying for attractions.

But not us.

At least not this trip.

This vacation was a respite for me as I grieve the recent loss of my father. It was a time for memories and nostalgia. A time for keeping things simple.

I’m ready to share if you’re ready to read.

Who: Tuvalu and Woody
When: October 22-29, 2021
Where: Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort

E56222A6-3666-4F9B-91B8-9CA5F00EB7BD.jpeg

If you’d like to read about my very first trip to Walt Disney World:

93boomer

Premium Member
We got seated at “our” table.

The one that feels part backstage and part dining room.

(Maybe Genie’s strength lies in picking things the guest hates.)

You know where we are, right?

View attachment 599610

For as often as we eat at Liberty Tree Tavern, we’ve had more table “misses” than “hits”. There just aren’t any two-tops which aren’t in an awkward location. I suppose tonight’s was still better than sitting next to a pole. (Okay, support beam….which is a fancy way of saying pole!)

We had an ADR at The Diamond Horseshoe for later in the trip, which I canceled when I booked LTT today. (Yes, we've been known to eat the same menu twice while on vacation but not this time.) Our server arrived quickly to take our drink order and then he brought out the salad and rolls. No picture because neither the rolls (hard as hockey pucks) and salad (bitter greens) were worthy of being remembered in print.

The meats and veggies were comfort food at its finest. (Except I forgot to ask for garlic-free green beans, @dryerlintfan.)

View attachment 599611

Woody and I were members of the clean plate club. We did not ask for seconds because we needed room for Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake!

View attachment 599612

This one happened to be REALLY GOOD. It took great restraint not to ask for another one (our stomachs would thank us later.) I did comment to Woody that parties of 2 get the shaft with the initial Ooey Gooey serving ~ only one is brought to the table to share. Parties of 3 get two cakes; the party of 4 near us got three cakes! Fractions matter, people! :joyfull:

Before leaving I checked wait times on the app. Peoplemover ~ the attraction I really wanted to ride ~ was down. Haunted Mansion was an hour, as were most headliners. It was a Boo Bash night and the park was already slammed. We decided to stroll off our dinner with a walk around the park.

What happened to Mickey’s Philharmagic?

View attachment 599613

I panicked a little until I remembered that Coco is being added to the film and the theater getting is a refresh.

We headed towards Storybook Circus. I wanted to check out the 50th merchandise in Big Top Souvenirs. I’d read that store and the Emporium were the two MK locations for 50th stuff.

Big Top was a Big Fat Lie. Not only was there no 50th merchandise, there were NO SOUVENIRS AT ALL. Only sweet treats for purchase and tables to sit at. Might I suggest a name change for this venue to Big Top Tables and Treats? (What do you think, @LAKid53?)

Off to the Emporium we went. Em had requested a 50th Spirit Jersey and (happily) they were in stock. As we exited into Town Square, we overheard a woman exclaim, “I haven‘t seen a train all day!”

Woody leaned over and whispered into my ear, “Lady, you could stand here for months and not see a train!”

WE MISS THE MPB!!! :arghh: :cry:
That’s why we need to eat there our next meet-up! We can get 3!! We’ve, dare I say it, never had ooey gooey toffee cake.🤔
We miss the MPB too!!😢

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Friday, con’t

We did not get our room ready text until 5 pm! (And the room number did not appear in MDE until several minutes after that.)

I really didn't want our first impression to be in the dark, but sunset was quickly approaching so Woody and I hopped on the monorail to the Polynesian. We unloaded the car and hauled our belongings to Raratonga. When I saw we'd been given a second floor room I was disappointed. Second floor rooms don't have balconies.

Determined not to let that cloud our trip, I pressed my MagicBand against the door lock and......nothing. Woody tried his band. Red flashing light, same as me. I pulled out the spare MagicBands I'd brought and none of them worked to unlock the door. The fact that we were unable to unlock the pool gate earlier should have served as a warning for us! Woody managed to unlock the door with his phone. While I appreciate the ability to open the door via phone, tapping a band is so much faster. (Something I would prove over the course of our stay.)

Once inside we set aside our luggage so I could take room pics!

FD24F239-FA6C-44E4-9542-289A6BD16007.jpeg

47FAB336-C9E0-443A-8FB9-F5C3C49643F8.jpeg

The Moana touches are very subtle (note the wallpaper above.)

A299C296-E290-4E36-9812-B1B32391EF28.jpeg

Lampshade:

D8524BF4-C155-4BC2-AD9B-F86BB7F38CEE.jpeg

79024EFD-E693-4E50-A087-2BAE4CEDB68D.jpeg

Wall art:

B674B8F9-9201-4731-BE10-C0A173B3FB79.jpeg

Notice anything in the picture below? (Don't worry, there won't be a quiz later.)

377C9E91-9AFE-406C-819C-5C637111F279.jpeg

Our immediate reaction to the room? We liked the modern decor. Liked the bright colors (the former rooms were dark). Liked the practical features ~ lots of USB ports, large dresser drawers, under-bed storage, small shelves next to the bed. We miss carpet (the floor was slick and I nearly fell while walking in socks) and a ceiling fan ~ but we know those design choices are no longer popular. (And I suspected there would be no clock @MinnieM123 so I came prepared with my own!)

Last edited:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
The kitchenette and closet area are very similar to those in the refurbished Wilderness Lodge rooms.

CC4F0BB7-D040-4EDA-981F-3D3C3E847393.jpeg

302A3B26-2126-48B3-9E23-E71468A9720E.jpeg

E2A39853-DD07-45F8-97BF-C424BE596FEA.jpeg

918768A2-4F53-44F4-A114-AFD6D335EB5D.jpeg

An important item missing from the closet was an iron/ironing board or clothes steamer. I had to get creative when trying to de-wrinkle a couple clothing items that did not travel well.

Practical sinks for the win, but very small storage space underneath.

A2D433D5-A224-484E-8E0C-91CD88A3979C.jpeg

Clear shower doors on a tub. Sigh. Body wash, shampoo and conditioner in wall dispensers. Double sigh.

1D8A0D07-408E-45CD-A36A-C808C909B114.jpeg

The toilet is in a separate area with a pocket door for privacy.

58A2432A-F9EC-463C-85BE-A7733303E3B7.jpeg

This bathroom is bright, another win. There was even a nightlight (not one bright enough to land a plane. ;))

We had a garden view room (it was the only category available) with a bonus view of the monorail. It was fun to watch the trains glide by. The glowing red light in the next picture is the new underlighting on a monorail.

36DFFBCD-C834-4604-812D-BC8E2C4C803F.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Did you discover anything in this picture?

F8D18AB3-34CB-41E8-BFA2-E78C0C34C079.jpeg

I'll make it easy for you.

F5ABFC05-5DEE-4A62-B306-BF606DFABFC7.jpeg

That would be a sharp piece of wood laminate, my friends. And damage I would not want to be held accountable for. Scooping my non-working MagicBands into my hand, I went to visit the Front Desk.

The CM assisting me was wearing a wooden bead necklace, which is Poly code for a manager. He asked how I was doing. Politely I explained that none of our bands worked to unlock our door, which was especially frustrating since our room was not ready until two hours past official check in time.

"What time was your room ready?" he asked.

"Five o'clock," I answered.

"That's within range," he said curtly.

"Really? I selected a 1 pm arrival time during my online check-in. We actually arrived a little later hoping our room would be ready. When it wasn't, we hung around the resort expecting to get the text by 3 pm. We waited over an hour past that and then had to leave so we could make our dinner reservation."

He wasn't sympathetic as he worked to re-code our bands. As he handed them to me, I showed him the picture of the damaged table.

"I'll put a call in to maintenance. They will fix it tomorrow. Have a nice night."

I was dumbfounded as I walked away. This was not the caring conduct I expect from a manager.

Would you like to see how maintenance fixed the table?

29536906-DB08-4DCC-AC9F-86F2BCF7FF9A.jpeg

Pretty, ain't it?

Woody and I walked down to the beach a few minutes prior to the start of the fireworks. The beach was packed with non-guest riff-raff, which did not help my mood. The show began and I was not Enchanted.

5E3DDF04-DEB4-4F58-935F-0E2EF948CEB1.jpeg

6F2B09A7-67AC-4097-A634-E8D08C5BB6B8.jpeg

15D18BA6-177E-40B8-AA2A-20326F898AF3.jpeg

It doesn't take much to impress this fireworks lover yet this show let me down. I felt no emotional impact. There was nothing special celebrating WDW's 50th anniversary. Just the same 21st century Disney movie songs, used in the far-superior Happily Ever After. (And don't dare blink or you'll miss Tink!)

Upon our return to the room Woody noticed the blinking red message light on the phone. It was a voicemail from the Front Desk CM, saying he had given us a (small) credit for our "inconveniences." I didn't have the energy to walk over and thank him.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Thanks for sharing the photos of your room. Can't say that I like the style, etc., of the bedroom area though. However, the lighting in the bedroom is pleasant --not too bright, nor too dull -- just right. Incidentally, I really liked the bathroom/kitchen area design.

Glad you brought your own clock, Tuvalu, as usual! :joyfull:

(Also, nice to see that they have qualified carpenters to fix damage to the furniture?! ;) )

amjt660

Premium Member
I suppose tonight’s was still better than sitting next to a pole. (Okay, support beam….which is a fancy way of saying pole!)
How about "load bearing vertical structural support member"?

nly one is brought to the table to share. Parties of 3 get two cakes; the party of 4 near us got three cakes! Fractions matter, people! :joyfull:

New uniform option for LTT
1636552646928.png

jerry no GIF by HULU

We unloaded the car and hauled our belongings to Raratonga.

I am glad you got to stay at the exclusive area - the Commonatonga house is overused and run down!!

Max

lindawdw

I finally logged in and was sooo excited to see that you started a TR!!! It was definitely not a magical start with the room check-in situation but I'm glad the manager reconsidered and provided you with a credit for your inconvenience. I love hearing all the details about the new Poly look outside which I was impressed with also. I will say that I miss the waterfall inside the lobby but I know that will never return so I need to let it go... Your meal at LTT looks excellent as our lunch there was outstanding this trip too! Can't wait to read more. 🥰

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
The kitchenette and closet area are very similar to those in the refurbished Wilderness Lodge rooms.

View attachment 599678

View attachment 599682

View attachment 599683

View attachment 599677

An important item missing from the closet was an iron/ironing board or clothes steamer. I had to get creative when trying to de-wrinkle a couple clothing items that did not travel well.

Practical sinks for the win, but very small storage space underneath.

View attachment 599681

Clear shower doors on a tub. Sigh. Body wash, shampoo and conditioner in wall dispensers. Double sigh.

View attachment 599679

The toilet is in a separate area with a pocket door for privacy.

View attachment 599680

This bathroom is bright, another win. There was even a nightlight (not one bright enough to land a plane. ;))

We had a garden view room (it was the only category available) with a bonus view of the monorail. It was fun to watch the trains glide by. The glowing red light in the next picture is the new underlighting on a monorail.

View attachment 599684

Soooo if I were showering, and my boys were still young.....it would be open to the rest of the room!?!?!? :oops: :oops: :oops: It is across from sinks correct? WL had shower and toilet in separate closed door room, like the past.....:cautious:. Otherwise great view! I wondered what garden view looked like! YIKES on your CM experience and the blue painters tape fix.....but it was good to report so they didn't charge you later......did your magicbands work after all that!?!?!?😁

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
However, the lighting in the bedroom is pleasant --not too bright, nor too dull -- just right.

(Also, nice to see that they have qualified carpenters to fix damage to the furniture?! ;) )
The room lighting was perfect. :happy:

And Ray Barone would have been a better choice to repair the table! :hilarious:
Everybodylovesraymond Fix It GIF by TV Land

I finally logged in and was sooo excited to see that you started a TR!!! It was definitely not a magical start with the room check-in situation but I'm glad the manager reconsidered and provided you with a credit for your inconvenience. I love hearing all the details about the new Poly look outside which I was impressed with also. I will say that I miss the waterfall inside the lobby but I know that will never return so I need to let it go... Your meal at LTT looks excellent as our lunch there was outstanding this trip too! Can't wait to read more. 🥰
The trip gets better. ;)

I completely agree with you about the lobby waterfall ~ so pretty, welcoming and relaxing ~ just as a tropical resort should be!

Soooo if I were showering, and my boys were still young.....it would be open to the rest of the room!?!?!? :oops: :oops: :oops: It is across from sinks correct? WL had shower and toilet in separate closed door room, like the past.....:cautious:. Otherwise great view! I wondered what garden view looked like! YIKES on your CM experience and the blue painters tape fix.....but it was good to report so they didn't charge you later......did your magicbands work after all that!?!?!?😁
Yes ~ if you want privacy while showering, you need to close the sliding bathroom door. Otherwise, you will be seen by anyone using the sink! The setup at WL is so much better, having the sink area outside the toilet/shower area.

Two of our 4 MagicBands did not work even after the re-coding. So we just used the two that did.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
The room lighting was perfect. :happy:

And Ray Barone would have been a better choice to repair the table! :hilarious:
Everybodylovesraymond Fix It GIF by TV Land

The trip gets better. ;)

I completely agree with you about the lobby waterfall ~ so pretty, welcoming and relaxing ~ just as a tropical resort should be!

Yes ~ if you want privacy while showering, you need to close the sliding bathroom door. Otherwise, you will be seen by anyone using the sink! The setup at WL is so much better, having the sink area outside the toilet/shower area.

Two of our 4 MagicBands did not work even after the re-coding. So we just used the two that did.
Note to self continue to stay at the WL but still ponder the Polynesian..... :p The whole idea I liked is someone else can shave or use sink while someone else is using toilet or shower.....how odd.

Last edited:

danyoung56

Hey Ms. Tuvalu - do you ever try to check in before getting a check in message? I've had this scenario happen many times at many different WDW hotels - arrive at noon, check in at the desk, I'm told that my room isn't ready yet, I ask if I can get a room anyway, and after some computer work they find a great room for me, available now. Beats waiting till 5pm for a check in text!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Saturday, October 23

We awakened refreshed ~ the new mattresses were quite comfortable. After a quick breakfast we were on our way to Disney's Hollywood Studios....sort of. Transportation issues prevented us from arriving in time to take advantage of early entry. We had to wait with everyone else.

6546BCC6-9445-4F5B-B348-AA946255743B.jpeg

I was actually surprised there weren't more people in this area shortly after 9 am!

76CEB699-FBF3-4F14-BFAA-B5FA9B5E286A.jpeg

I asked Woody what he wanted to do first. His quick reply (in our 3 year old granddaughter's voice): "I want to do Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway!" (It is Tuvaleen's favorite WDW attraction. :inlove:)

I couldn't possibly say no.

We joined the outdoor line, which moved steadily. As we approached the covered part of the outdoor queue, a senior-aged cast member let loose his humor on Woody.

"Good thing it's not hot today, otherwise you'd be Baked Alaska!"

Note Woody's shirt.
B9432C76-36E5-41DE-9590-FC682D7A205B.jpeg

What a clever CM. :hilarious:

The line never stopped moving and soon we were inside.

F1B2DB02-D9C8-4AEC-AC50-A9F525E6248D.jpeg

The Dapper Dans Dawgs are my favorite!

3AFAECDF-681E-4C32-9AC8-ED61182876A9.jpeg

Twenty minutes after getting on line we were headed for Runnamuck Park.

001B7593-72C1-4DF2-86C0-26296244ED83.jpeg

The train began to move as I attempted this selfie! :facepalm:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Note to self continue to stay at the WL but still ponder the Polynesian..... :p The whole idea I liked is someone else can shave or use sink while someone else is using toilet or shower.....how odd.
You could try a Poly DVC room....it has two bathrooms (but only one has a toilet.)

Hey Ms. Tuvalu - do you ever try to check in before getting a check in message? I've had this scenario happen many times at many different WDW hotels - arrive at noon, check in at the desk, I'm told that my room isn't ready yet, I ask if I can get a room anyway, and after some computer work they find a great room for me, available now. Beats waiting till 5pm for a check in text!
What a great idea!
Save For Later To Do List GIF

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Where is everybody?

66DC10A6-9D33-45B5-A41F-4CCA977C3E7A.jpeg

Woody had chosen his attraction and now it was my turn. Since Rise of the Resistance no longer required a Boarding Group, I wanted the standby experience. The sign at the entrance said 70 minutes but we all know that wait times are inflated, right?

CD79646E-9965-4AE6-95D3-E410C6768752.jpeg

We waited 15 minutes before entering the cave. The weather was pleasant and the line moved frequently so time passed quickly.

Then we began winding our way through the caves....very slowly. And when we'd reached the deepest part of the interior (in other words, the furthest point from entrance and exit) we had to stop.

77105346-1708-4A37-BCDA-5F5D8A784EA7.jpeg

With no line movement for several minutes, I opened the app to find this:

E0C555A3-9BA9-4217-845A-324591C52398.jpeg

Fabulous. We were trapped!

Twenty minutes later a CM appeared, said the ride was down, and asked if anyone needed to use the restroom. Apparently they weren't going to dump the queue and since we were now invested in riding, we opted to stay put.

And we stayed put for an additional 25 minutes. It had now been 70 minutes since we'd entered queue and we hadn't made it to the first preshow. (See, the entrance sign was wrong! :joyfull: )

However, once the line began to move forward we never stopped walking. I was never so happy to see BB-8 in my life!

1362712B-72E6-4B66-AD3D-C98EE54B301D.jpeg

Stormtroopers captured us....again.

13DAFDB1-F040-40FE-B451-DBEDA7445AF3.jpeg

B30F2854-7C2A-44B4-8C4F-1B83D5CCE05E.jpeg

1C7D9F22-F56C-43B2-9933-883BE86D63A1.jpeg

356DB0F9-731E-4854-8AFB-EDA5BB2F8CD8.jpeg

Time to make our getaway!

CEE91640-8196-4EA4-95B0-8CCE75454456.jpeg

Was it worth the 90 minute wait? If we had never ridden before, my answer would be a resounding YES. But that long stretch of standing in place about did us in. However once we were immersed in the experience we enjoyed it as always. And we got to see the final Kylo in B-mode, a first for me! (Although A-mode is better.)

lindawdw

Glad you got to ride M&MRT first off and with little to no wait! That's tough waiting in one spot that long for Rise but happy for you that they got it going again! Without the virtual boarding passes for Rise, I doubt that we will be doing it all that often anymore.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Loving your report. Looking forward to more.
More coming soon. Thanks for :bookworm:

That's tough waiting in one spot that long for Rise but happy for you that they got it going again! Without the virtual boarding passes for Rise, I doubt that we will be doing it all that often anymore.
Not sure I’ll get in line if the posted wait is greater than 45 minutes.

I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I never noticed the Dapper Dogs in the attraction poster, and you know how much Brad and I enjoy the Dappers!
Shocked Friends GIF

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom