Trip Report We Kept Genie in the Lamp *COMPLETED*

50 years later, what goes around comes around.

Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom opened in 1971 with an admission charge and an attraction ticket system. Admission got you into the park (and onto the free If You Had Wings, sponsored by Eastern Airlines) but every ride required a separate ticket (A,B,C,D,E) which varied in price based on the attraction’s “value.” E-tickets were the most expensive (this is where the expression “it’s an E-ticket ride!” originated) and cost 90 cents apiece. Ticket books bundled A-E together for a reduced cost, but there were never enough E’s (and always leftover A’s and B’s.) Not to worry though ~ each land had its own ticket booth (think tiny kiosk) where individual attraction tickets could be purchased (assuming your parents said yes. 😉)

This was the system for over a decade. The introduction of all-day Passports (and eventual Park Hoppers) was a welcome relief for guests ~ ride what you want as many times as you want for no additional cost. Yes, you had to wait in line. Lines that often were very long. But it was a SIMPLE system.

When Fastpass was introduced at the turn of the century, it required some strategic planning and lots of extra walking to obtain the paper FPs in order to “skip” a line. Fastpass+ exacerbated strategic planning to a whole ‘nother level. But it was a FREE system.

Genie, Genie+, Lightning Lane and Individual Lightning Lane have thrown SIMPLE and FREE out the window. And now in 2021, we’re back to admission and paying for attractions.

But not us.

At least not this trip.

This vacation was a respite for me as I grieve the recent loss of my father. It was a time for memories and nostalgia. A time for keeping things simple.

I’m ready to share if you’re ready to read.

Who: Tuvalu and Woody
When: October 22-29, 2021
Where: Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort

E56222A6-3666-4F9B-91B8-9CA5F00EB7BD.jpeg

If you’d like to read about my very first trip to Walt Disney World:

slipperalwaysfits

I played around with arrival dates to increase resort selections. There wasn’t a lot from which to choose. When the Poly appeared on my screen for this Friday arrival I nearly cried. It was a sign. Tuvalu was going home!
I agree, it was a happy sign!!
“This is not a trip for aggravation,” I replied. Little did I know then how much aggravation (thanks to the MDE update) was in store for me.
Hmmmmmmmmmm.....this sounds like foreshadowing....not how you wanted the trip to go...all I need to know is if you ArtyPoohed?;)

LisaBelle

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your father! My sister and I traveled to WDW after we lost our Dad and it was good for our souls. I hope your trip helped you find some peace. I am looking forward to hearing all about your trip with your wonderful Woody!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Hi @Tuvalu Your epilouge to your father is lovely. I'm so sorry to hear about his passing but I am so happy he had so many wonderful memories with you and your family, especially at DisneyWorld! 🤩 We have plans for a "hibachi lunch" and a few days in AK, I'll say a prayer for him (and you) when I'm there.
That’s very kind of you.

Hmmmmmmmmmm.....this sounds like foreshadowing....not how you wanted the trip to go...all I need to know is if you ArtyPoohed?;)
Be Patient Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your father! My sister and I traveled to WDW after we lost our Dad and it was good for our souls. I hope your trip helped you find some peace. I am looking forward to hearing all about your trip with your wonderful Woody!
Thanks, Lisa. I’m looking forward to sharing.

O.k. That's not a good sign from Woody, for the "rest" of us! ;)
smart the challenge GIF by 1st Look

I am late but I am looking forward to hearing about the rest of your trip! And once again sorry to hear about your father.
Nice to have you along. :happy:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Friday, con’t

I’d followed the construction progress of the front entrance and monorail station in a thread on this site. (A Poly gal needs to stay informed!) The negative, Debby-downer comments….mid-construction, mind you….were unbelievable. Everyone seemed to be an expert on Polynesian culture, authentic materials, aesthetics, yada yada. And worst was THE PANIC that “the water features have been eliminated!”

So many times I wanted to scream, Could you wait until the project is FINISHED??!!

(I actually tried to post a positive refurbishment comment after a stay in April, and was promptly flogged.)

Maybe it’s just me, but I see plenty of water at the resort entrance.

B182BB89-C7AA-4AF1-AF3C-1BE77E44A9D5.jpeg

862A3808-4393-40DB-A4ED-CE33AA08D28A.jpeg

FC55CD10-2376-492D-AFC9-C938B8ECF49D.jpeg

43F7A443-2093-4712-A750-B86835E3DA5B.jpeg

So there’s less wood….and more concrete….at the monorail station. Not an issue for me, since my foot almost went through the rotted wood decking in August 2020. My feet can now rest securely.

A568AFE4-AEED-4CE8-87D2-9192A18A82D1.jpeg

8415B109-40F2-4A41-8433-87FEAA349922.jpeg

Honestly how many guests will even notice that the platform is now concrete? Grand Floridian’s monorail platform has been concrete since day one. Does that ruin its Victorian theme? I think it’s time to put away the pitchforks and flaming arrows.

C99B38A0-903C-439C-B6B1-E06B489E15E0.jpeg

One last (non-water 😉) pic from above ~

6957BD41-593D-42DB-A802-ED921C0846C0.jpeg

93boomer

Premium Member
Friday, con’t

I’d followed the construction progress of the front entrance and monorail station in a thread on this site. (A Poly gal needs to stay informed!) The negative, Debby-downer comments….mid-construction, mind you….were unbelievable. Everyone seemed to be an expert on Polynesian culture, authentic materials, aesthetics, yada yada. And worst was THE PANIC that “the water features have been eliminated!”

So many times I wanted to scream, Could you wait until the project is FINISHED??!!

(I actually tried to post a positive refurbishment comment after a stay in April, and was promptly flogged.)

View attachment 599431

View attachment 599432

View attachment 599433

View attachment 599434

So there’s less wood….and more concrete….at the monorail station. Not an issue for me, since my foot almost went through the rotted wood decking in August 2020. My feet can now rest securely.

View attachment 599448

View attachment 599449

Honestly how many guests will even notice that the platform is now concrete? Grand Floridian’s monorail platform has been concrete since day one. Does that ruin its Victorian theme? I think it’s time to put away the pitchforks and flaming arrows.

View attachment 599452

View attachment 599450
Looks like water to me but what do I know?!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Friday, con’t

(Foolishly) thinking our room would be ready by 3 pm check in, Woody and I decided to hang around the resort. After browsing in Boutiki (no $300 lamp purchase this time!) we still had time to kill. It was a gorgeous day so I suggested drinks at the Barefoot Pool Bar.

The bar sits inside the fenced pool area. Both of us had MagicBands and since I had done online check in, I (foolishly) assumed we could unlock the pool gate. My band did not work. Neither did Woody’s. A pool-bound family witnessed our dilemma and opened the gate for us.

**FYI** It’s important to know that resort pool gates can only be unlocked by a MagicBand or key card. Though guests can use a phone to unlock their room door, this technology does not work at a pool gate.

What shall I have?

A9447B51-BB48-41C9-9C45-1130131E6B27.jpeg

One libation caught my eye right away.

04B2D19D-4FC6-4D05-940F-18A5BE9E4844.png

Coconut (like cilantro) is either love it or hate it. There’s no middle ground.

Of course someone with the name of Tuvalu has to coconut!

AA325354-0262-4129-9019-68A8765BAF6A.jpeg

This drink was perfection. The view was perfection.

C6E8B718-0506-49C3-8AC8-B32291760F2A.jpeg

The company was perfection.

736F211B-87B4-4D35-AEBF-DA0C378C24CF.jpeg

For those with inquiring minds, Woody had a Kona Longboard. He can never say no to a Kona. :cat:

Three o’clock came and went without a room text. I even checked the app every few minutes to see if our room number was listed there. It wasn’t.

It didn’t bother me at first. After many days of fall rain, we were relaxing in sunny paradise. But I had hoped to get settled into our room before heading off to Magic Kingdom, where I’d booked a same-day ADR.

Eventually I needed to use the restroom. Thankfully it was right behind us.

While washing my hands I noticed these complimentary sunscreen packets.

C5CC0BB2-4D99-424E-A02A-0DF5AAC02F56.jpeg

I took one just because I could. Disney “freebies” are rare these days.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Woody and I could tarry no longer. Even if our room text arrived immediately, there would not be enough time to get settled into our room and also make it to dinner.

We opted for a scenic boat ride to the MK.

Workers were in the process of refurbishing the dock. Looks like OSHA has tightened the regulations for safety rails on the water.

AAF8667F-4FCD-478D-9CE7-FC0A8E4E52B5.jpeg

19B88DF2-857D-4DDA-8DA0-BA65050DACF1.jpeg

(White netting is the former safety rail.)
DD73E9E4-730E-4053-9D55-55F123D4E5B2.jpeg

Woody pointed out a slew of new speakers along the Poly beach.

25BC1688-6F88-4E28-9C42-4A4CE028F1AA.jpeg

If anyone asks if fireworks music is piped onto the beach, the evidence above should be sufficient!

I was happy that a small boat arrived to pick us up. We could be mask-free! (Masks are required the larger boats.)

E8ED78DE-4151-4240-ACB7-ED0C5669743F.jpeg

4DB7B588-6DE7-4A74-8C5F-24650AA607DB.jpeg

Almost there!

A633C2A7-80FC-4A75-8567-6550409B083C.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster

donaldtoo

Friday, con’t

View attachment 599431

View attachment 599432

View attachment 599433

View attachment 599434

View attachment 599448

View attachment 599449

View attachment 599452

View attachment 599450

FAKE WATER…!!!!!!! :bored::D:hilarious:

Sorry, couldn’t resist…!!! 🤭;)

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
The AP entrance sported the new Passholder branding. It still perplexes me why the words “annual” or “seasonal” are omitted. Many guests assume their tickets are “passes” (though they’re not) and use this entrance, not only lengthening the line but often causing a backlog when a problem with their ticket arises (which in my experience is frequent! :banghead:)

EAFE9F39-7170-4C0A-93A7-F1D4BE75B241.jpeg

First world problem, I know! But Disney advertises this as an exclusive perk which it clearly isn’t. Thankfully our late-in-the-day arrival made using this entrance a breeze.

Woody and I stopped for the pic in front of the train station before entering Town Square. The flag was at half-staff to honor General Colin Powell.

D451C9B9-667D-4B76-8C6C-897F8634E79B.jpeg

It was at this point that Woody glanced at his phone and saw Disney Genie’s first ride recommendation for him ~ Astro Orbiter! Clearly Genie does not know Woody at all. We had a good laugh and made our way down Main Street.

D2597BF4-C480-414C-A950-6CA0F84CEEFB.jpeg

Could these 50th banners BE any more blah?!!

The castle hub wasn’t too crowded….

8FB9A847-9895-4B0A-BC53-C6C232488F78.jpeg

….until the Princess cavalcade appeared.

C5F4969D-E35A-4721-93ED-6E2AE61C9BFC.jpeg

597029FF-2300-484A-8D49-946A5C65534A.jpeg

3C77A9AE-3229-4A95-B137-3BC9824C138C.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
We got seated at “our” table.

The one that feels part backstage and part dining room.

(Maybe Genie’s strength lies in picking things the guest hates.)

You know where we are, right?

DF097800-3294-4B54-96B5-E67262E4B068.jpeg

For as often as we eat at Liberty Tree Tavern, we’ve had more table “misses” than “hits”. There just aren’t any two-tops which aren’t in an awkward location. I suppose tonight’s was still better than sitting next to a pole. (Okay, support beam….which is a fancy way of saying pole!)

We had an ADR at The Diamond Horseshoe for later in the trip, which I canceled when I booked LTT today. (Yes, we've been known to eat the same menu twice while on vacation but not this time.) Our server arrived quickly to take our drink order and then he brought out the salad and rolls. No picture because neither the rolls (hard as hockey pucks) and salad (bitter greens) were worthy of being remembered in print.

The meats and veggies were comfort food at its finest. (Except I forgot to ask for garlic-free green beans, @dryerlintfan.)

464588F2-8E95-46AD-9228-9AD8E3338D44.jpeg

Woody and I were members of the clean plate club. We did not ask for seconds because we needed room for Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake!

1531C48D-2581-4652-84D2-A000BE2EDE7E.jpeg

This one happened to be REALLY GOOD. It took great restraint not to ask for another one (our stomachs would thank us later.) I did comment to Woody that parties of 2 get the shaft with the initial Ooey Gooey serving ~ only one is brought to the table to share. Parties of 3 get two cakes; the party of 4 near us got three cakes! Fractions matter, people! :joyfull:

Before leaving I checked wait times on the app. Peoplemover ~ the attraction I really wanted to ride ~ was down. Haunted Mansion was an hour, as were most headliners. It was a Boo Bash night and the park was already slammed. We decided to stroll off our dinner with a walk around the park.

What happened to Mickey’s Philharmagic?

FD3DA4C9-A56D-4127-87AD-D83763C83C87.jpeg

I panicked a little until I remembered that Coco is being added to the film and the theater getting is a refresh.

We headed towards Storybook Circus. I wanted to check out the 50th merchandise in Big Top Souvenirs. I’d read that store and the Emporium were the two MK locations for 50th stuff.

Big Top was a Big Fat Lie. Not only was there no 50th merchandise, there were NO SOUVENIRS AT ALL. Only sweet treats for purchase and tables to sit at. Might I suggest a name change for this venue to Big Top Tables and Treats? (What do you think, @LAKid53?)

Off to the Emporium we went. Em had requested a 50th Spirit Jersey and (happily) they were in stock. As we exited into Town Square, we overheard a woman exclaim, “I haven‘t seen a train all day!”

Woody leaned over and whispered into my ear, “Lady, you could stand here for months and not see a train!”

WE MISS THE MPB!!! :arghh: :cry:

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
We got seated at “our” table.

The one that feels part backstage and part dining room.

(Maybe Genie’s strength lies in picking things the guest hates.)

You know where we are, right?

View attachment 599610

For as often as we eat at Liberty Tree Tavern, we’ve had more table “misses” than “hits”. There just aren’t any two-tops which aren’t in an awkward location. I suppose tonight’s was still better than sitting next to a pole. (Okay, support beam….which is a fancy way of saying pole!)

We had an ADR at The Diamond Horseshoe for later in the trip, which I canceled when I booked LTT today. (Yes, we've been known to eat the same menu twice while on vacation but not this time.) Our server arrived quickly to take our drink order and then he brought out the salad and rolls. No picture because neither the rolls (hard as hockey pucks) and salad (bitter greens) were worthy of being remembered in print.

The meats and veggies were comfort food at its finest. (Except I forgot to ask for garlic-free green beans, @dryerlintfan.)

View attachment 599611

Woody and I were members of the clean plate club. We did not ask for seconds because we needed room for Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake!

View attachment 599612

This one happened to be REALLY GOOD. It took great restraint not to ask for another one (our stomachs would thank us later.) I did comment to Woody that parties of 2 get the shaft with the initial Ooey Gooey serving ~ only one is brought to the table to share. Parties of 3 get two cakes; the party of 4 near us got three cakes! Fractions matter, people! :joyfull:

Before leaving I checked wait times on the app. Peoplemover ~ the attraction I really wanted to ride ~ was down. Haunted Mansion was an hour, as were most headliners. It was a Boo Bash night and the park was already slammed. We decided to stroll off our dinner with a walk around the park.

What happened to Mickey’s Philharmagic?

View attachment 599613

I panicked a little until I remembered that Coco is being added to the film and the theater getting is a refresh.

We headed towards Storybook Circus. I wanted to check out the 50th merchandise in Big Top Souvenirs. I’d read that store and the Emporium were the two MK locations for 50th stuff.

Big Top was a Big Fat Lie. Not only was there no 50th merchandise, there were NO SOUVENIRS AT ALL. Only sweet treats for purchase and tables to sit at. Might I suggest a name change for this venue to Big Top Tables and Treats? (What do you think, @LAKid53?)

Off to the Emporium we went. Em had requested a 50th Spirit Jersey and (happily) they were in stock. As we exited into Town Square, we overheard a woman exclaim, “I haven‘t seen a train all day!”

Woody leaned over and whispered into my ear, “Lady, you could stand here for months and not see a train!”

WE MISS THE MPB!!! :arghh: :cry:

I think your name suggestion is perfect. Sadly. ☹️

Is Disney really having supply chain issues?

Big Top was my favorite shop in MK. Especially if I was lucky enough to score a bag of the freshly made caramel popcorn. 🥰

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom