WDW's non-MK parks' identities fading?

mharrington

Original Poster
You know something that Koenig's testimonial does not explain? That even the MK is having an identity crisis of its own. Its own lands' themes are slipping and turning into one big Fantasyland.

mcjaco

While IMO Nemo doesn't fit in FW you can argue that he was needed.

Exactly, the pavilion was DEAD. The had to use something that would get people back in there. Nemo was a perfect fit.

And that's what makes Nemo stand out in a bad way, IMHO. Where is this relevant to the future?

You're right Nemo isn't futuristic, but above all the pavilion still fills the requirements of, inspiring, entertaining, and educating.

That's what's so interesting about EPCOT. It's a VERY delicate balance.

Evan, quite honestly, I think you're taking EPCOT a little to deep for it's meaning.

Evan we are waisting our breath, if after all this they still don't get that Nemo Doesnt belong in FUTURE WORLD they never will!

You're right Nemo isn't futuristic, but above all the pavilion still fills the requirements of, inspiring, entertaining, and educating. I feel like I've posted this before. :lookaroun

Ok,so based off of your argument,JII does not fit into FW. Isn't that one of the most beloved attractions of yesteryear?

See, I don't think we'd be having this argument if WDI used movie characters in FW from the get go.

I won't argue that the Seas are not Immersive . Immersible...That involves water, ironically enough.:lol: However, the illusion of being under water is gone, a shame. It would have helped.

The only problem with this is, no one was falling for the underwater seabase protion of it anymore. They were bypassing the Hydrolators, etc, to get in and out faster.

Back in 1982, Nemo would have never happened.:wave:

Only because then, they had decided Disney characters would not be part of EPCOT. That changed years ago, so it's all moot.

DisneyMusician2

Without quoting everything above, a vision or theme is only good if people like it and flock to it.

If you have a great themed experience that people think is so boring they have an option to pass by that section, then you know it is time for a change.

You could even apply this to a place like the sci-fi drive in. Great theme, but I'd take a little less immersiveness (I might have made that word up) for food that was better than bad diner quality.

Nemo brought people back into the pavilion, and there is still plenty to be learned there if you check out all of the CM's and exhibits. The pavilion still takes the life in the sea and presents it to kids in a package they recognize. Isn't this the basis of edutainment?

If you want to rename Future World, go for it. It may not apply anymore. But I see kids going aroud that pavilion more than ever, and picking up things along the way they might not have from an 80's style undersea base idea that no one bothered to experience half the time.

Many changes in FW have been a little odd, and I am nostalgic about many of the tings that have gone, but I think many of the changes have kept FW up-to-date from a technological aspect and the rides and experiences are frequently on the cutting edge of technology, at least when they are built.

This is certainly true for the oft-maligned M:S and TT. Perhaps the showcasing of technology and knowledge are what the new FW is all about, and if it is, that is a theme that I can identify with the "vision of Epcot".

Mr.EPCOT

Exactly, the pavilion was DEAD. The had to use something that would get people back in there. Nemo was a perfect fit.

It seems to me like using Nemo was just the laziest, easiest solution, a cheap, quick fix that would sell a lot of merchandise. This is Imagineering we're talking about, they certainly have the capability of doing something much more creative that would be probably even more popular than Nemo. I'd like to point out that while the pavilion has seen a good boost in attendance since it changed, Nemo has never seen anywhere near the long lines that The Living Seas had in its first few years.

The only problem with this is, no one was falling for the underwater seabase protion of it anymore. They were bypassing the Hydrolators, etc, to get in and out faster.

That's a stretch, I never saw anything to indicate that people weren't buying into the illusion anymore. You always had to use the hydrolators, there was no way of bypassing them.

DisneyMusician2

It seems to me like using Nemo was just the laziest, easiest solution, a cheap, quick fix that would sell a lot of merchandise. This is Imagineering we're talking about, they certainly have the capability of doing something much more creative that would be probably even more popular than Nemo. I'd like to point out that while the pavilion has seen a good boost in attendance since it changed, Nemo has never seen anywhere near the long lines that The Living Seas had in its first few years.

That's a stretch, I never saw anything to indicate that people weren't buying into the illusion anymore. You always had to use the hydrolators, there was no way of bypassing them.

I seem to remember being able to bypass the hydrolators years ago, but I could be mistaken.

Figment632

/QUOTE]

Agreed!

mcjaco

It's all about marketing now. You might as well complain about dumping all the guests into stores at the end of each ride. It's everywhere, why wouldn't they follow that model at TLS? As for TLS being popular, it was. When it opened, and a few years after that. Then is was pretty desolate. The sea base was old, showing it's age, and no one wanted to stick around through the movie, then the hydrolators, then the sea cabs. They just wanted to get straight to the aquarium.

I'd say they weren't buying into the illusion. And you are incorrect about the hydrolators. You could bypass them if you wanted too. You could even ask a CM which door to take to avoid them.

tirian

I'll let the Epcot fans touch on Epcot.

DHS had a rumored copyright claim, and an identity crisis when it came to park icons. That mainly explains the hat, and I hope it goes. Cinderella's Castle is a cartoon reality. That really could be a castle. The hat is a giant cartoon structure. I can't compare the two.

That's just an internet myth. Architecture cannot be copyrighted, and the hat exists mostly as a marketing ploy.

Not at all. They are all Disney parks despite the theme. That has by definition to include some `magic`. The examples given are very poor; Mexico was updated since the 15 year old attraction was beginning to appear very dated, and didn`t appeal to todays average dumbed down guest since they had to think and learn a little. DHS has its own issues with theme and direction; nothing to do with the MK. DAK has had thrill rides and stage shows planned since day one; Dragon Tower, Tiger River and The Excavator were real E Ticket thrill rides as was the original premise for CTX.

I would add that DHS/MGM has always had an identity crisis. The idea of combining a gorgeous 1930s/40s idea of Hollywood with a "real working backlot" (aka unthemed buildings), combined with no apparent civil engineering, was doomed from the start.

Nemo was clearly introduced to bring in more interest from guests. Sorry, I don't buy the 'it was to sell more merchandise' argument.

What's wrong with the argument, that the attraction was to be updated, so they used a character that was based in the sea! :brick:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom