WDW's non-MK parks' identities fading?

EPCOT Explorer

Exactly, the pavilion was DEAD. The had to use something that would get people back in there. Nemo was a perfect fit.

You're right Nemo isn't futuristic, but above all the pavilion still fills the requirements of, inspiring, entertaining, and educating.

Evan, quite honestly, I think you're taking EPCOT a little to deep for it's meaning.

Nemo is a fit for the Seas, yes, but where is the Future?! It's Future World...I've been saying this!:lol::brick:

Taking it too deep?:shrug: What do you mean? We are looking at the park philosophy, that's all...

(You make it sound like I am in a EPCOT Cult.:lookaroun:lol:)

Without quoting everything above, a vision or theme is only good if people like it and flock to it.

If you have a great themed experience that people think is so boring they have an option to pass by that section, then you know it is time for a change.

You could even apply this to a place like the sci-fi drive in. Great theme, but I'd take a little less immersiveness (I might have made that word up) for food that was better than bad diner quality.

Nemo brought people back into the pavilion, and there is still plenty to be learned there if you check out all of the CM's and exhibits. The pavilion still takes the life in the sea and presents it to kids in a package they recognize. Isn't this the basis of edutainment?

If you want to rename Future World, go for it. It may not apply anymore. But I see kids going aroud that pavilion more than ever, and picking up things along the way they might not have from an 80's style undersea base idea that no one bothered to experience half the time.
Yes, but they could have made something that fit EPCOT that people WOULD flock to. Something Futuristic. Something that entertains, informs and inspires. Something new and original...That's what the problem is, I believe. Nemo works for the IEE, but isn't original, nor is it futuristic. If it was futuristic, but didn't tackle the IEE, it might be less of a problem.

I think that renaming FW would only deepen the depart from what EPCOT is supposed to thematically do. While one Nemo Pavilion might sufice a certain demographic, having all 8 of the FW Pavilions depart from this wouldn't be EPCOT. They need to find a balance...much like they did with SSE and even M:S. And the Land (as a whole pavilion)

It seems to me like using Nemo was just the laziest, easiest solution, a cheap, quick fix that would sell a lot of merchandise. This is Imagineering we're talking about, they certainly have the capability of doing something much more creative that would be probably even more popular than Nemo. I'd like to point out that while the pavilion has seen a good boost in attendance since it changed, Nemo has never seen anywhere near the long lines that The Living Seas had in its first few years.

That's a stretch, I never saw anything to indicate that people weren't buying into the illusion anymore. You always had to use the hydrolators, there was no way of bypassing them.
Hit it on the HEAD! :D

Can you explain this? What does it market? The small pin store it holds?
No, using the Hat as a icon on TONS of Merch.:rolleyes:

The Empress Lilly

what was so futuristic about the Seas anyway!? :shrug:
Future World is about the world we can create, and how we shape it.

FW West shows the resources we have available to shape our world. These are the land, the seas and our imagination.

Or, hangliding, Eric Idle and cartoon fish. :lookaroun

The futurism of the Living Seas can be experienced over at FW East's Horizons, where is show how the Seas are used to improve the lives of future families.
All we need is imagination to use our resources, applying our tools of communication, energy and means of motion. And then...if we can dream it, we can do it...

FW West shows the resources we have available to shape our world. These are the land, the seas and our imagination.

The futurism of the Living Seas can be experienced over at FW East's Horizons, where is show how the Seas are used to improve the lives of future families.
All we need is imagination to use our resources, applying our tools of communication, energy and means of motion. And then...if we can dream it, we can do it...

Thanks Walt, :ROFLOL:

I get what you're saying, I just mean I wouldn't say that The Seas doesn't really seem to fit in with the rest of Futureworld, so I don't see why there's a big uproar about having Nemo on it.

EPCOT Explorer

They could've used Atlantis instead of Nemo...:lookaroun
The style? Or the actual movie? Both are retro futurist...whixch *kinda* works.:lol:

:sohappy:

As usual. You get it perfectly. Future World is a realistic Tomorrowland. It's OUR future there, our story, and the presentation is meant to entertain, inspire and inform. That's how you get something to fit.

And what of the older generation? What of teens? Adults? :shrug:

We have Sea Base Alpha or what's left of it....

Fact is, Disney, as much as I love it, is not really all that much like it was when I first started going when I was 5 years old. Then we had this new wonderment for everything, now it's all HSM, Jonas etc, so I guess what i'm trying to say is next year, Spaceship Earth is going to be narrated by Zac Effron...:eek:

EPCOT Explorer

We have Sea Base Alpha or what's left of it....

Fact is, Disney, as much as I love it, is not really all that much like it was when I first started going when I was 5 years old. Then we had this new wonderment for everything, now it's all HSM, Jonas etc, so I guess what i'm trying to say is next year, Spaceship Earth is going to be narrated by Zac Effron...:eek:
Not a whole lot, thematically.:lol: (On a dark day/at night, it feels like the 90's in there....:eek:)

And I agree with you in full. Everything is too synergistic and generic. granted, there's a place for that in Disney. (DHS:lookaroun) but Disney's unique parks like EPCOT and DAK need to be treated as such.

Luckily, DAK is fine in that respect. Though....I do wonder why Nemo is in Dinoland from time to time.

Sheesh. 2006= Year Plancing Nemo in the Wrong Places.:lookaroun:lol:

Epcot should always be looking to the future and in a way I feel that's been totally pushed to the side.

Maybe we could have Nemo swimming about with 'giant frickin lasers!'. :ROFLOL:

I've never met someone who has had such a disdain for Finding Nemo. It's just a crowd pleaser for all ages (sort of like Up). It's not a boys movie or a girls movie or a teen or adult movie.

I can see it now...we can re-theme Soarin into UP! Replace the gliders with ho..squirrel! :ROFLOL:

EPCOT Explorer

Epcot should always be looking to the future and in a way I feel that's been totally pushed to the side.

Maybe we could have Nemo swimming about with 'giant frickin lasers!'. :ROFLOL:
One could say they have abandoned it, but SSE and M:S say otherwise, but in a new respect. It's hodge podge right now.

:lol::lol::lol: at the lasers, though. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom