WDW website update features Test Track concept art!

I still remain optimistic about this refresh--and honestly, the concept art still seems a bit "vague" to me about what exactly to expect. The presentation that was given by WDI (I believe) emphasized that the theme is switching to an emphasis on the computer design element of new car manufacturing. Hence, it's supposedly supposed to feel like you're inside of a computer (a la TRON) experiencing all of these virtual tests given to concept cars. I'm sure there has to be more to what's going on around you than just screens, because why not just make it all a simulator, then?

I think my biggest hope for the refresh is a return to "future" and "progress" and "vision" ... vs. "here's what we do right now". Whether they achieve that with screens or with AA's, I don't really care at this point. There is such a disconnect of theme in "Future World" right now it's pathetic. UoE is so outdated as far as it's portrayal of energy technologies. The Seas has nothing to do with ... well, anything other than the movie. We all know about the pathetic excuse currently housed in the Imagination pavilion (which actually had a wait yesterday, no doubt thanks to TT). Living with the Land hasn't changed much, particularly with the space program now almost non-existent; Soar'n and whether it belongs in EPCOT at all is an ongoing debate. And Mission:Space ... a fun ride, but again, with no vision or creativity ... they could've done a lot more with it to turn it into the original concept conceived before the park was built.

I mean, what exists now behind the walls at the character spot? While walking by yesterday, I realized that that is a huge building and the meet/greet barely occupies a fraction of it. The rest is just a walkway and obviously walled off areas.

Ugh, I could keep going but I'd just depress myself further before bed!

misterID

I think this can be something really cool, even without AA's. It's about atmosphere, too. One of the coolest moments in Horizons was the screen segments. Think about the light tunnels in SM.

janoimagine

Because it was stuck in the 90s and needed to be pushed into the 21st century. Had Disney decided not to renovate it, people would be and complaining that the ride is old and outdated.

~ FD

TDO had nothing to do with this refit aside from booking the travel for WDI to meet with Design in Warren and the Suits in Detroit. This refit is 100% GM pushed. If it were left to TDO you likely would not have seen a refit until the next major refit of Epcot which could be anybody's guess if or when that would even happen.

It will be more than screens and projectors, it will be lighting, set and show pieces, new music and some really incredible tech that has been developed by GM specifically for this attraction. This one is being done right, and should set the benchmark for how these things should be done going forward.

Tom Morrow

Since this is Tron inspired, it would be awesome if Daft Punk does the new score. Anything but something like the generic techno track used at Space Mountain. So happy to hear all the optimism from knowledgable posters.

baymenxpac

Well said, Brava. Bravo! :D

let me second that. well said indeed!

brava hit the main point to me: the evolution of test track will go from "here's what the cars that you buy TODAY go through on the test track" (to paraphrase the actual script) to "with a continuing eye towards innovation and new technology, here's what cars may go through IN THE FUTURE." and THAT is exciting, because like brava said, it's back to the original theme of future world.

if done properly, i think this could put the future back in future world. hopefully, that will have some kind of trickle down effect to the other flailing attractions brava mentioned.

Captain Neo

Original Poster
Dreamflight had no Animatronics. Trust me on this one :wave:

Maybe not "AA's" but it did have figures:

dreamflight.jpg

I also recall some moving figures that were similar to the moving figures in Buzz Lightyear's Spaceranger spin.

Captain Neo

Original Poster
Just so I'm clear on this...you are passing judgement and 'writing off' an attraction that, not only have you not experienced yet, but is one week into a 7 month refurb. Do I have that right?

I complained about Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage before it was officially announced....it was exactly as I expected

I complained when it was announced Stitch was replacing Alien Encounter...turned out even WORSE than I imagined

I was very suspicious of the Spaceship Earth 2007 refurb at a time when I saw people, including people on this very forum, getting all excited that this would be the return to greatness for the attraction and how Tomorrows child was coming back and it was gonna be "like horizons" and blahblahblah and it turned out underwhelming.

My batting average with predicting the quality of upcoming Disney attractions is pretty good and every single time I raise concerns about a project I always have a couple people who say "You haven't rode it yet! how do you know???" I don't have an answer to that other than I've been visiting Disney parks for my entire life, know about how projects get put together behind the scenes, and know Disney's track record in recent years.

Incredible tech from GM?

That would be a first.

LOL also this

Uncle Lupe

let me second that. well said indeed!

brava hit the main point to me: the evolution of test track will go from "here's what the cars that you buy TODAY go through on the test track" (to paraphrase the actual script) to "with a continuing eye towards innovation and new technology, here's what cars may go through IN THE FUTURE." and THAT is exciting, because like brava said, it's back to the original theme of future world.if done properly, i think this could put the future back in future world. hopefully, that will have some kind of trickle down effect to the other flailing attractions brava mentioned.

Unless this is going to be about Jetson type cars I don't see this as a huge step forward. I hope I am wrong.

I could see them putting in a hybrid battery fire test. Here a Chevy Volt sits parked, never mind just move along.

Tom Morrow

Regarding Mission: Space and as to how it fits in with the theme and message of Future World, well, that depends on how you look at it.

You could say, "well, its space travel, we already do that. Or did - the shuttle program is over so that makes it outdated."

OR,

You could see it as an inspiration for mankind to keep reaching further. After all, we never made it to Mars. The attraction gives positive hope that there will be space exploration again and we will one day have the technology to fly actual humans to Mars.

janoimagine

Incredible tech from GM?

That would be a first.

?? Really ... :rolleyes: ??

The Lunar Rover ... Robonaut2 ... The First Air Bag in an Automobile ... The Hydrogen Fuel Cell ... the Front Center Airbag ... those are just a few. Do your homework before you slam a company that innovated a lot of the products that you take for granted today. People are unreal.

SleepingMonk

...First Air Bag in an Automobile .. ... the Front Center Airbag ... those are just a few. Do your homework before you slam a company that innovated a lot of the products that you take for granted today. People are unreal.

About that homework....

"Ford built an experimental fleet of cars with airbags in 1971, followed by General Motors in 1973 on Chevrolet vehicles. The early fleet of experimental GM vehicles equipped with airbags experienced seven fatalities, one of which was later suspected to have been caused by the airbag."

misterID

About that homework....

"Ford built an experimental fleet of cars with airbags in 1971, followed by General Motors in 1973 on Chevrolet vehicles. The early fleet of experimental GM vehicles equipped with airbags experienced seven fatalities, one of which was later suspected to have been caused by the airbag."

Out of all the innovative things in his post, you can have the airbag.

And Mission:SPACE is a training mission. That's the ride. The ride is a simulation of a simulation. I don't even need to say anymore.

SleepingMonk

Out of all the innovative things in his post, you can have the airbag..

Eh, they didn't invent Robonaut or the fuel cell.

They partnered with NASA after the fact and they attempted to add an already existing fuel cell technology with a van.

To say they invented or innovated in either field is being rather generous.

Tom Morrow

Out of all the innovative things in his post, you can have the airbag.

And Mission:SPACE is a training mission. That's the ride. The ride is a simulation of a simulation. I don't even need to say anymore.
Yes, you assume the role of an astronaut who is training to actually fly to Mars, which is something that is happening soon in the ride's storyline.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom