WDW website update features Test Track concept art!

dreamscometrue

This looks more like a Space Mountain refurb than a Haunted Mansion one.

MORE VIDEO SCREENS!!!!

Less imagination.

The video screens might lend themselves more to the 'inside the computer design/tron' environment for this make over compared to some other attractions where they were more 'forced'. Anyway, the make over may include much more than simply screens.

Btw, as others have stated, video screen technology has been part of attractions in the past (World of Motion, Delta Dreamflight, etc.) and is not a bad thing in and of itself. I think it comes down to budget too. This could be awesome, or not so much. The concept art looks great to me, but now it's a matter of creativity and money. :)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
^ indeed. Dreamflight had 3 large format screens. And no Animatronics. And was a favourite for a lot of people. It was greater than the sum of its parts. It worked. It clicked. The overall package as a whole was a success, when if looked at closely is shouldn't have had been.

Horizons and World of Motion both had dozens of projection screens. In addition to other formats (physical sets, AAs and the like). Screens can work in the right place, even replacing a physical space, so long as they aren't the sole focus when they needn't be.

Captain Neo

Original Poster
^ indeed. Dreamflight had 3 large format screens. And no Animatronics. And was a favourite for a lot of people. It was greater than the sum of its parts. It worked. It clicked. The overall package as a whole was a success, when if looked at closely is shouldn't have had been.

Horizons and World of Motion both had dozens of projection screens. In addition to other formats (physical sets, AAs and the like). Screens can work in the right place, even replacing a physical space, so long as they aren't the sole focus when they needn't be.

Dreamflight had actual show scenes though like a real dark ride and I believe it did have some animatronics. There was a casablanca style scene with 2 AA's standing next to a plane and I think there were a few other scenes like that.

What is upsetting with Test Track is that we went from originally having TONS of AA's, lavish sets, lots of effects, and a good soundtrack to an empty warehouse with props and a few set pieces to a new TT that is still an empty warehouse with even less props/sets replaced with a couple of cardboard cutouts and video projections. Talk about declining by degrees.

Captain Chaos

Looks like Dreamflight was mostly show scenes with two scene that was screen, in the middle with the bi-plane and then in the tunnel where you are preparing for supersonic flight and it takes you into the future and the ride ends with a large show scene... But the key is, the screen portions worked well..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ-9ILjukzk

Tigger1988

Remember people, Dreamflight/Take Flight was the last version of that ride. Pretty sure the original version was extremely screen heavy.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Dreamflight had actual show scenes though like a real dark ride and I believe it did have some animatronics. There was a casablanca style scene with 2 AA's standing next to a plane and I think there were a few other scenes like that.
Dreamflight had no Animatronics. Trust me on this one :wave:

Remember people, Dreamflight/Take Flight was the last version of that ride. Pretty sure the original version was extremely screen heavy.
Indeed. If You Had Wings (and If You Could Fly) was pure projection screens set into physical sets. For todays kids, think of Gran Fiesta Tour (or for teens, El Rio :D )

If You Had Wings had 45 film projectors. Yep. 45. And no Animatronics.

Strangely, If You Had Wings is often mourned as a loss. For an attraction that was almost pure screen technology.

Same for Dreamflight, an on-the-cheap, rushed project that made use of its 3 main screens (70mm barnstormer, Speedroom and single side concave CGI projection) to add motion to an otherwise very static, painted flats ride. Aside from simple basic animated painted flats (which were planned as part of the story mind)

And should anyone question my opinion of these screen rides, I loved them both ;)

disnyfan89

What is upsetting with Test Track is that we went from originally having TONS of AA's, lavish sets, lots of effects, and a good soundtrack to an empty warehouse with props and a few set pieces to a new TT that is still an empty warehouse with even less props/sets replaced with a couple of cardboard cutouts and video projections. Talk about declining by degrees.

And can you prove that as fact? :wave:

mergatroid

Dreamflight had no Animatronics. Trust me on this one :wave:

Indeed. If You Had Wings (and If You Could Fly) was pure projection screens set into physical sets. For todays kids, think of Gran Fiesta Tour (or for teens, El Rio :D )

If You Had Wings had 45 film projectors. Yep. 45. And no Animatronics.

Strangely, If You Had Wings is often mourned as a loss. For an attraction that was almost pure screen technology.

Same for Dreamflight, an on-the-cheap, rushed project that made use of its 3 main screens (70mm barnstormer, Speedroom and single side concave CGI projection) to add motion to an otherwise very static, painted flats ride. Aside from simple basic animated painted flats (which were planned as part of the story mind)

And should anyone question my opinion of these screen rides, I loved them both ;)

Indeed and I loved it as a kid :cool:

For those younger here's a video of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Vmfc8aVW-U

misterID

I loved Dreamflight, too. But I hated If You Had Wings. Blahhh.

There were a few models of people (and some cardboard cut outs) that I think people were mistaking as AA's in DF.

Japan and Paris were my favorite show scenes.

dreamscometrue

Just so I'm clear on this...you are passing judgement and 'writing off' an attraction that, not only have you not experienced yet, but is one week into a 7 month refurb. Do I have that right?

Tom

Beta Return

Just so I'm clear on this...you are passing judgement and 'writing off' an attraction that, not only have you not experienced yet, but is one week into a 7 month refurb. Do I have that right?

In a nutshell, yes. We've seen what? A few renderings. And that tells us that they're replacing all the props with cardboard cutouts and screens.

If anything, the definition of "News and Rumors," and the general pleasantness around here is declining by degrees.

disnyfan89

In a nutshell, yes. We've seen what? A few renderings. And that tells us that they're replacing all the props with cardboard cutouts and screens.

If anything, the definition of "News and Rumors," and the general pleasantness around here is declining by degrees.

Winning

aladdin2007

I loved Dreamflight, those Paris and Tokyo scenes were amazing yet simply charming. This was a little jewel from WDI, something they dont do anymore. (the rotating beams of light effect before you enter the caved screen room, doesnt work anymore on Buzz, last week it wasnt even running, all you could see was a lightbulb...ick!!)
Okay Im about to break out into singing the Delta Dreamflight themesong here so I'll stop while ahead lol.

As for Test Track, it just goes to show what having a good sponsor can achieve. Imagine if Imagination and Energy and Life had sponsors. Doesnt look like Disney is going to spend any amount of big money on them.

TalkingHead

I loved Dreamflight, those Paris and Tokyo scenes were amazing yet simply charming. This was a little jewel from WDI, something they dont do anymore. (the rotating beams of light effect before you enter the caved screen room, doesnt work anymore on Buzz, last week it wasnt even running, all you could see was a lightbulb...ick!!)
Okay Im about to break out into singing the Delta Dreamflight themesong here so I'll stop while ahead lol.

I think the song was more memorable than the attraction. It's too bad they rarely incorporate original songs into the new attractions anymore.

Dreamflight was never a favorite of mine, but it was relaxing, rarely had a line, and was distinctly Disney. It was the type of attraction you wouldn't find anywhere else.

It's been said before, but because everything new has to be hyped and promoted to death, a ride like Dreamflight would be an immense disappointment if it opened this year. But as a quiet, unheralded attraction tucked away in the corner, it was a pleasant place to get out of the sun during the afternoon. They don't make 'em like that anymore.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom