WDW Vacationer Uses iPhone to Catch a Crook

MickeyPeace

The real loss here is that the guy probably just wanted to promote his album which he does in a completely unrelated last paragraph.

Instead what he ended up promoting was the iPhone and Find My Phone app.

Hey by the way Apple Tv is really great, just got rid of cable and replaced it with that.

New thread? Let's tie it into the fact that I'm now saving money on a cable bill that I could put toward my next WDW vacation.

Mikester71

The real loss here is that the guy probably just wanted to promote his album which he does in a completely unrelated last paragraph.

Hey by the way Apple Tv is really great, just got rid of cable and replaced it with that.

New thread? Let's tie it into the fact that I'm now saving money on a cable bill that I could put toward my next WDW vacation.

Yeah, I noticed that too. I was surprised someone didn't bring this point up earlier in the thread honestly. Don't get me wrong...it is an incredible story and I am not trying to take anything away from it. I just thought people would notice his plug at the bottom for his new album and assume it was more personal publicity over trying to advertise an app for one of the most recognizable items in pop culture today that doesn't need people advertising for it. :shrug::lookaroun

zimmer-man

Original Poster
Yeah, I noticed that too. I was surprised someone didn't bring this point up earlier in the thread honestly. Don't get me wrong...it is an incredible story and I am not trying to take anything away from it. I just thought people would notice his plug at the bottom for his new album and assume it was more personal publicity over trying to advertise an app for one of the most recognizable items in pop culture today that doesn't need people advertising for it. :shrug::lookaroun

I agree with you - I don't think that he is trying to promote the iphone although that's what happened. I also don't think that his reason for putting his story on the Internet was just to promote his music - at least I hope not.. I actually downloaded his music two days ago. its actually pretty good. I've been listening to it.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showpost.php?p=4490381&postcount=1

disneybonbon

Sorry, label me a cynic...but I don't believe this was not all staged. Too long winded and story book like to ever happen in real life.

Look at the trail:

OP – has 1 post to bring this incredible story to this board, really?
Said victim was not smart enough to leave valuables locked safely in room but thought enough to purchase a $100 app and LOCKED both his and wife’s expensive iPhones, really? Hey honey, let's lock our phones with the warning message IN CASE WE GET RIPPED OFF... Really?

I feel a bit dumber for even reading the whole story...

Someone posted that you no longer have to buy the app. And the stolen message and locked phone was done from a computer after the phone was stolen.

And as far as using the card, the sooner you use the card the less likely someone has reported it stolen. I bet the arcade is a great place to for a non-guest to hang out in the hotel without getting noticed.

Who knows? I didn't know I could lock my phone remotely if it was lost until this story. So at least people can benefit from it, even if it's fiction.

I don't care where in the world you are, you don't leave a bag with your wallets and expensive phones alone anywhere in public.

:brick:Ditto! When I saw the story on facebook I was like seriously? Who takes all their valuables to the pool? Really now, that's what the hotel room is for. All I take to disney pools are my own towel and a bag with changing clothes. That's it!

UrbanDonovan

That was my first thought, was he staying at the hotel and if he wasn't a resort guest in any of the properties why was he allowed to get into the property?

My family and I ate at Cape May Cafe for my birthday a couple weeks back. We just drove up to the gatehouse at the Beach Club and the security person just looked at my ID and then waved us through.

sublimesting

Sorry, label me a cynic...but I don't believe this was not all staged. Too long winded and story book like to ever happen in real life.

Look at the trail:

OP – has 1 post to bring this incredible story to this board, really?
Said victim was not smart enough to leave valuables locked safely in room but thought enough to purchase a $100 app and LOCKED both his and wife’s expensive iPhones, really? Hey honey, let's lock our phones with the warning message IN CASE WE GET RIPPED OFF... Really?

I feel a bit dumber for even reading the whole story...

First of all, the OP is not the person that this incident happened to. This story was reported on our local news stations here, so someone didn't just bring it to WDWmagic.com to troll. The person it happened to was from Pittsburgh. Secondly you didn't read the story well enough apparently, because he locked the phones and sent the message and alarm after they got to the MK. You shouldn't feel dumber for having read the story just for misinterpreting it.

minniemickeyfan

The article toward the end states: "We received hundreds of dollars worth of clothes, toys and food from the kind people at Disney." Anyone know why they would receive clothes? I would assume their clothes would still be back at the room. I could see toys maybe to keep the kids occupied during the investigation and food maybe because if they were out of cash. Just thinking too something doesn''t add up in this article especially when I got to the end and there's a free download to the new album.:shrug:

sublimesting

The article toward the end states: "We received hundreds of dollars worth of clothes, toys and food from the kind people at Disney." Anyone know why they would receive clothes? I would assume their clothes would still be back at the room. I could see toys maybe to keep the kids occupied during the investigation and food maybe because if they were out of cash. Just thinking too something doesn''t add up in this article especially when I got to the end and there's a free download to the new album.:shrug:

I would assume they got clothes because they were in wet swimsuits in an airconditioned building for hours. Not only will you be cold, you will start to look kind of foolish sitting there dealing with security and police for hours in a swimsuit. Again, this isn't just an article he wrote and tagged his download to. It is an actual news report too (at least locally), he just goes into more detail on his blog.

goofntink

They were given clothes because when they were brought over from WL the family was still in their swimsuits. The husband was just in his shirt and wet shorts as well.

hrcollectibles

The 2-3 minutes was just how long it took him to run from his room to the boat docks AFTER he had located the phone online.

It may have been 10-15 minutes to do everything else and the thief during that time was probably playing in the arcade, thinking there was no reason to be in a hurry and he might as well blend in...

They guys booking information is online with the Orange County Sheriff's Department and is online... I do not think the story is "just a story".

Seems like it would be a lot of work to write the blog, create a fake news story on YouTube and arresst record...

http://www.wpxi.com/news/27312126/detail.html

Here is the arrest record
http://apps.ocfl.net/bailbond/default.asp?BookNumber=11010547&ID=7470111434211

herc

I don't know, but this story seems a bit improbable to me. There are just some details that make me think, really?

I would think a criminal wants to get away ASAP and is not going to take the time to use the debit card to purchase an arcade card.

It is a male criminal...why would the bag be found in the womens room? Unless, I guess, if he had a partner.

Why would the criminal head into the Magic Kingdom instead of the parking lot?

Can someone really get to the front desk to get a new key printed and back to their room in time to catch the criminal on the dock? Again, the crook would want to leave as quick as he could.

It is a great story... but I think it might be just that; a story. What a great advertisement for that app though!

Alot of great questions, but yes it all can be done. I've left my key in my room and was able to get another pretty quickly. I just had to answer some pretty personal questions including the credit card I put on file, how many people were in my room, ages of children, etc.

About putting stuff in women's room, was the bad actually in the room or in the trash can by the women's room?

Also, the man was local. He probably knew about where to park. I think he parked at DD. He was probably going to the MK to get on one of the buses either to another resort or DD. And why head to the MK? Crowds. Doubt he was going to go in with the all the goods. He probably didn't know about tracking devices on the iPhones.
As for the message on the iPhones, I believe they can show a message when you use MobileMe. Unfortunately this may mean that the guy would probably throw it away and just use the cash.

Using card at the arcade? Well these professionals know what they are doing. My wife had her wallet stolen at Kohl's. By the time we found out which was literally only 15-20 minutes later, they had already used some of the cards. They went into a Staples and bought a $5 item using the card. Then they headed right across the parking lot to Toys R Us and bought $1500 worth of electronics. Each card that was used had a small charge in front of it to see if it was still valid.

This whole situation, real or not, has changed how my wife and I will take stuff down to the pool. I usually take my card, but put it in my bathing suit. We always take our phones with us as we text with family that may still be in the parks or it is a great time to call home. Maybe tring just one of the phones. We don't usually carry our wallets or cash though. We have thought of a lock that we can put on and attach it to the lounge chair so if this person just tried to take the bag, it would it would draw attention.
I think we should all get into the mind set that even though you are surrounded by the magic, crime is everywhere.

zimmer-man

Original Poster
Using card at the arcade? Well these professionals know what they are doing. My wife had her wallet stolen at Kohl's. By the time we found out which was literally only 15-20 minutes later, they had already used some of the cards. They went into a Staples and bought a $5 item using the card. Then they headed right across the parking lot to Toys R Us and bought $1500 worth of electronics. Each card that was used had a small charge in front of it to see if it was still valid.

But still, an arcade?! This guy has to be the dumbest criminal living in Orlando.

GMRO

First of all, the OP is not the person that this incident happened to. This story was reported on our local news stations here, so someone didn't just bring it to WDWmagic.com to troll. The person it happened to was from Pittsburgh. Secondly you didn't read the story well enough apparently, because he locked the phones and sent the message and alarm after they got to the MK. You shouldn't feel dumber for having read the story just for misinterpreting it.

Maybe a re-read of my post is necessary. Did I say the OP was the victim of said story? No. Yea I got where the family was from n'at... So? Only honest folks reside in the burgh? Maybe you should watch your favorite news channel more often and see what goes on day to day.

Believe what you want. Far as PXI - really? Those new anchors are the best! :rolleyes: Heck if they say it happened well he## it's gotta be true. But first, let's talk about snow, 1 to 2 - 2 to 3 - 4 to 6 some more...and the flooded warf again. Giving this story any fame is just typical of their constant mis-reporting of things that get blown out of proportion. Maybe someone should contact them and ask them to do a story on the SAFE WAY to travel with money while on vacation in WDW?

Thanks David and Peggy.......................all's well that ends well! Be sure to check out our "face page" for full details and updates.

Sooo over this. True or not - it is nice to see that WDW stepped up and tried to make the family comfortable. Not surprised in the least with that fact.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom