WDW to Raise All Buffet Prices By Almost 50%?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Sorry...I mean...Disney's food is reasonably and fairly priced and they are not jacking up prices at all. They are in no way taking advantage of their guests.
Look, I mean, it's not like they tied you up and made you pay these prices. You have the choice to not eat $45 Mickey Waffles. WDW has a responsibilty to push the absolute limits when it comes to removing money from "guests" pockets. Don't like it, don't go. Can't afford it, don't go. Can afford it, but think it's ridiculous to pay $45 for Waffles and eggs? Suck it. Keep yo mouth shut.

Disneyhead'71

Look, I mean, it's not like they tied you up and made you pay these prices. You have the choice to not eat $45 Mickey Waffles. WDW has a responsibilty to push the absolute limits when it comes to removing money from "guests" pockets. Don't like it, don't go. Can't afford it, don't go. Can afford it, but think it's ridiculous to pay $45 for Waffles and eggs? Suck it. Keep yo mouth shut.
No, fortunately we aren't being forced to pay these prices. And I won't. Period.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
I could see jacking up the prices on the character buffets. I mean, when you go to those buffets, not only are you getting all you can eat food/drinks, but you are also getting essentially exclusive one-on-one time with a large number of characters that you would wait hours in line for if you had to see each individually throughout the park. In such a case, you're not only paying for the food, but you're also paying for the convenience/experience. If I was going with my daughters (which I plan to in the next year or two) and they were dead set on seeing ALL of the princesses, I might consider paying a little extra for breakfast at Akershus if it meant I wouldn't have to spend hours waiting to otherwise see each of those princesses individually in their respective meet-and-great. Now, for non-character/non-entertainment buffets, that's a different story. I've never been one for buffets simply because I do not feel I can eat enough food in one sitting to justify the cost of a buffet. I'd likely never go to a buffet at Disney if it was a non-character buffet and I had to either pay out of pocket (regardless of the cost) or use more meal points than I would for any other non-signature meal.

pax_65

Here's the deal though many of us REFUSE to pay these insane prices, I'd love to eat in my favorite park restaurants I can even AFFORD to pay todays prices yet I REFUSE to pay them because they are obscene. I just eat in room (DVC) and offsite.

^THIS. On our trip in May, we had a breakfast at Boma with family (which was awesome, and quite possibly the most expensive breakfast I've ever eaten) and then went to the grocery store and loaded our DVC villa with food. Years ago, we would have eaten 2-3 character breakfasts, a bunch of table-service lunches in the parks, and 4-5 table service or buffet dinners on property. Those days are GONE. It has become a matter of PRINCIPLE, not economics. It's not whether I can afford it, it's that I recognize I'm being GOUGED and I'm not going to accept it. I compared it to living inside a professional sports stadium - they have you and they know it. For a 3-hour game that's one thing, but for a 7-10-day vacation? Not cool.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I could see jacking up the prices on the character buffets. I mean, when you go to those buffets, not only are you getting all you can eat food/drinks, but you are also getting essentially exclusive one-on-one time with a large number of characters that you would wait hours in line for if you had to see each individually throughout the park. In such a case, you're not only paying for the food, but you're also paying for the convenience/experience. If I was going with my daughters (which I plan to in the next year or two) and they were dead set on seeing ALL of the princesses, I might consider paying a little extra for breakfast at Akershus if it meant I wouldn't have to spend hours waiting to otherwise see each of those princesses individually in their respective meet-and-great.
Not an attack on you....

This line of reasoning is the exact reason why these character buffets are going to move to 2 credits. Even me, who is already ticked about buffet prices was going to do 1 in April for my son's 1st real trip(we went on a family reunion type trip when he was 7 months) but if it's $60pp and $40 for him, I can make myself spend $200 on breakfast. I just can't.

rioriz

That 50% sounds suspiciously too high and far fetched...I wouldn't pay for more than a $5- $10 increase at this time. That is also depending on the buffet.

DougK

Plus the float dollars on those prepaid DDP plans, That has to be in the high millions at the minimum

Along with the float let's also not forget Disney profits from unused DDP credits too. I would love to know how many Dining Plan credits go unused in any given day, month or year at WDW. Unused Dining Plan credits are pure profit for Disney. So between the float that @ford91exploder mentioned and the money made of off unused credits they make a fortune, and that's not even counting the profit they make when you actually USE the credits! I really think Disney management laughs at us every day.

bhg469

Is it true WDW will require a credit check to gain access to the property? It seems they do not want any middle or low class families at the resort.
That sounds like a bad rumor. Not because I think Disney would be too kind for that, its just that anyone with a credit card can over extend themselves in order to get a Disney vacation. Disney would never miss an opportunity to allow someone to go bankrupt for their fix or pixie dust.

mgpan

Does Papa Johns or other local pizzeria deliver to the TTC lot? You can even pay the parking charge for the delivery driver's car and come out ahead! Think i smell a business opportunity......

We like to hit 1 or 2 character breakfasts/buffets on our trips but the prices are getting crazy. I've gotten to the point now where I let my children pick anything off the buffet (whether they eat it or not) and whatever quantity they want. Let me state I do NOT like wasting food and have a completely different attitude at home. However, if Disney is going to charge my 4 year old $20-$30 to eat at a buffet then I'm going to make darn sure that he consumes (or wastes) that amount of food... and don't get me started on my 14 year old (who is an adult in disney's eyes)... trying to justify $40-$60 for her meal when she barely eats... it kills me. She'll say, "hey dad can you grab me a dessert while you're up there?".... sure honey... here are 10... i grabbed one of everything...."dad can you grab me another roll?"... sure honey... i grabbed a few and here is some roasted beast and mashed potatoes in-case you're hungry! Seriously I'm like the food monitor at home and make sure the kids don't overload their plates and eat what they grab. Fly me to orlando and bring me to a WDW buffet and show me the prices... I lose it.... Take whatever you want kids! You want some strawberries... grab 5.... chicken nuggets... how about a dozen... no you don't have to finish.... it's food-a-palooza kids... go nuts guys.... I know I have!

Diznyfan

My understanding is that there was a glitch with some character meals showing up as two table service credits. It's possible there's nothing to this.
This is the only thing I've heard about this too, which I believe affected Tusker House, Akershus (Norway) and another restaurant. Looking ahead though, I would not be surprised to see another price increase, especially to the character buffets, but I would also imagine it would drive the price of other sit down dining restaurants up too. I'm not sure if it would be 50%, but more than likely some amount of increase.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
We like to hit 1 or 2 character breakfasts/buffets on our trips but the prices are getting crazy. I've gotten to the point now where I let my children pick anything off the buffet (whether they eat it or not) and whatever quantity they want. Let me state I do NOT like wasting food and have a completely different attitude at home. However, if Disney is going to charge my 4 year old $20-$30 to eat at a buffet then I'm going to make darn sure that he consumes (or wastes) that amount of food... and don't get me started on my 14 year old (who is an adult in disney's eyes)... trying to justify $40-$60 for her meal when she barely eats... it kills me. She'll say, "hey dad can you grab me a dessert while you're up there?".... sure honey... here are 10... i grabbed one of everything...."dad can you grab me another roll?"... sure honey... i grabbed a few and here is some roasted beast and mashed potatoes in-case you're hungry! Seriously I'm like the food monitor at home and make sure the kids don't overload their plates and eat what they grab. Fly me to orlando and bring me to a WDW buffet and show me the prices... I lose it.... Take whatever you want kids! You want some strawberries... grab 5.... chicken nuggets... how about a dozen... no you don't have to finish.... it's food-a-palooza kids... go nuts guys.... I know I have!
Someone, not sure who yet, is going to come in here and tell you that you're the reason that Disney HAS TO raise buffet prices. Watch and see. It's coming.

lebeau

This is not true. There's more to running a business than memorizing Profit Motive. The customer experience is critically important. Disney made it a priority for decades which is why it has a customer base that is willing to pay whatever they charge today. But if they continue picking their guests pockets with impunity, they will find that short-term thinking has cost them in the long run.

mgpan

This is the only thing I've heard about this too, which I believe affected Tusker House, Akershus (Norway) and another restaurant. Looking ahead though, I would not be surprised to see another price increase, especially to the character buffets, but I would also imagine it would drive the price of other sit down dining restaurants up too. I'm not sure if it would be 50%, but more than likely some amount of increase.

Correct me if i'm off base or this has already been brought up, but it is interesting to me that with the exception of Chef Mickey's in the discussion, each of the "glitched" restaurants are associated with recently (or soon to be?) early entry opportunities for new attractions/meet and greets or reserved seating for new shows. I know we are paying more than we should for early entry on an an upcoming trip to eliminate the need to use a FP+ for a certain attraction. Think BOG could consistently sell out and pull in $24 for a single plate (non-buffet) breakfast if it didn't get you a leg up on 7DMT? How may will pay $$$ for Akershus to get a jump on the frozen chicks grab and grin? H&V gets consistently rated as one of the worst buffets on property, but is very hard to get now that it helps you get an early sign up for JTA.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom