WDW to Raise All Buffet Prices By Almost 50%?

Rteetz

This is asinine. And I thought $60 or whatever absurd amount they charge at Chef Mickey's now was absurd...now $90? LOL

$50 for Mickey Waffles with a Donald covered in snot and maple syrup?
The talk is that one October-ish all character buffets at least will be $60 a person or more. Some character buffets are currently in the 30-40 range per person. This would be quite the jump for those restaurants.

yaksplat

The only one that I hit is Trail's End. Tasty and out of the way. Although there are some interesting people coming out of the campground. If the price went up 50% i'd just skip it. As it is, I refuse to hit any character breakfasts. My kids get excited that they can eat donuts everyday from the box at a rate of $5 per dozen.

hopemax

I don't pay that now. Last WDW buffet I had was Boma a few years ago with a CM pal's 40% off holiday coupon. It was well worth that.

Probably, about five years ago, my Mom wanted to eat at 1900 Park Fare for her birthday, because we hadn't had gone to a character meal in awhile. She had a 50% off coupon, we made a late reservation so we could use it. It was still $80 for 3 people. And we all decided it wasn't worth it. The food quality was less, the characters tried to rush by our table (no kids), and the server was running around like she had too many tables. So that was the last time we were at a buffet.

If it goes to 2-credits, the price will have to go up to "justify" the using of 2-credits that way. I can't imagine spending that kind of money on such a mediocre experience.

JustInTime

Be very careful folks.....the thread police are in full effect. Is that your job? Seriously.
I mean, it's a similar conversation. It was a valid question. My knee jerk was to link that thread here as well because the glitch in the system is what seemed to start this rumor in the first place. I see the logic in the original comment and why the member would post that.

Last edited:

dennis-in-ct

Just got back from a short visit to WDW. We had not been in three years. I expected food prices to be high but we were a little more than shocked. The price gouging was off the charts - even for this seasoned Disney fanatic. The only food value left at WDW seems to be the buffets. We had have a nice meal in the Germany pavilion at World Showcase and Monday night at BOMA. If the buffet prices increase to 60.00 a person versus 40 a person I am way beyond shocked.

The 32.00 we spent on a hot dog and a chicken sandwich and a side of beans (3.99 for less than a 1/4 cup) and two drinks. And the food was not good. In contrast, we ate at the SIMPSONS food court in Universal for much less and better food quality AND better service. Universal had people guiding you in line, and lead us (while helping to carry our food) to a table that was clean and reserved for us. As I stood to leave and reached for my tray, there was another team member telling us that they would take care of it and being as happy, helpful and polite as possible.

Did I mention the 72.00 we spent for two on one salad, one soup and two pasta dishes at Tony's on Saturday? (Gay Days). I understand you pay more but this was over the top.

Did I mention the 40.00 counter service at Animal Kingdom (next to YAK and YETI) ???
I can have a nice sit-down meal at OUTBACK steakhouse for what this shy portion of average food we received at this counter service.

I am not sure who Disney thinks their customer is but I have been saying for a while and it was reconfirmed this visit, it is NOT us. My husband and I both are blessed to have nice jobs and live comfortably in Connecticut (not a cheap state to live) and we kept shaking our heads at the prices.

JustInTime

I have no idea. I placed this RUMOR out because it is picking up steam and I'd like to know ... I suppose you could always call or email Disney execs and social media's Cupcake. Disney loved it when they got called on the Guardians of the Galaxy to ToT deal.

Oh, speaking of that ... did I hear that plans for the bar near the shop were canceled?
The bar was a really bad idea. Or for that location at least. Any updates on the TOT conversion? Still for sure in the west with a slight possibility in Orlando?

Biff215

My understanding is that there was a glitch with some character meals showing up as two table service credits. It's possible there's nothing to this.
Tusker House specifically. Somehow hard to believe it's just a glitch. Either someone jumped the gun or Disney was trying to measure the response IMO. From what I'm hearing this will at minimum affect the most popular character meals. Guess we'll see.

NearTheEars

Amazing how quickly people get angry over an unsubstantiated rumor that even our fearless leader can't confirm.
My two cents: this originated from the DDP credit glitch from the other day.
But hey, contacting Disney with your concerns over the crazy high prices for food is never a bad thing.
And in the end, likely why @WDW1974 brought it up anyway.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The talk is that one October-ish all character buffets at least will be $60 a person or more. Some character buffets are currently in the 30-40 range per person. This would be quite the jump for those restaurants.

I was at AKL during one of the peak seasons and Boma was $52.99 for Dinner that day, Ate at the Mara instead where 3 of us ate for about the same price. We wanted to eat at Boma but no way could we justify a nearly $200 dinner tab for a buffet.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
My understanding is that there was a glitch with some character meals showing up as two table service credits. It's possible there's nothing to this.

It's possible but unlikely as those changes need to be applied using Disney's content management system, So somewhere there is a template and data with those prices loaded, My thought is this was an Oopsie where the template was pushed to production accidentally (on purpose ? perhaps) and this is something coming in the next few months. Some have said October which makes sense as that would be in the first quarter of Disney's FY.

BrerJon

I am not sure who Disney thinks their customer is but I have been saying for a while and it was reconfirmed this visit, it is NOT us. My husband and I both are blessed to have nice jobs and live comfortably in Connecticut (not a cheap state to live) and we kept shaking our heads at the prices.

Disney has realised that if you have less guests but they're spending more, you make the same profits but you can save even more on your wage bill - less guests means less Cast Members required. At the moment they're testing to see how high they can raise prices and cut services before profits dip, and if they find that the only customers left are those with huge wallets, they'll be fine with that.

You may have balked at the prices but you still paid them, and that's what Disney is relying on. Raise them just enough that people will still pay... like boiling frogs in a pot.

threvester

Just got back from a short visit to WDW. We had not been in three years. I expected food prices to be high but we were a little more than shocked. The price gouging was off the charts - even for this seasoned Disney fanatic. The only food value left at WDW seems to be the buffets. We had have a nice meal in the Germany pavilion at World Showcase and Monday night at BOMA. If the buffet prices increase to 60.00 a person versus 40 a person I am way beyond shocked.

The 32.00 we spent on a hot dog and a chicken sandwich and a side of beans (3.99 for less than a 1/4 cup) and two drinks. And the food was not good. In contrast, we ate at the SIMPSONS food court in Universal for much less and better food quality AND better service. Universal had people guiding you in line, and lead us (while helping to carry our food) to a table that was clean and reserved for us. As I stood to leave and reached for my tray, there was another team member telling us that they would take care of it and being as happy, helpful and polite as possible.

Did I mention the 72.00 we spent for two on one salad, one soup and two pasta dishes at Tony's on Saturday? (Gay Days). I understand you pay more but this was over the top.

Did I mention the 40.00 counter service at Animal Kingdom (next to YAK and YETI) ???
I can have a nice sit-down meal at OUTBACK steakhouse for what this shy portion of average food we received at this counter service.

I feel the same way...We just got back and could not believe how much the food prices increased in the 9 months since our last trip..2 burgers and 1 coke at Cosmic Ray's was over $30 ...Flame tree ribs were $20 etc.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I have no idea. I placed this RUMOR out because it is picking up steam and I'd like to know ... I suppose you could always call or email Disney execs and social media's Cupcake. Disney loved it when they got called on the Guardians of the Galaxy to ToT deal.

Oh, speaking of that ... did I hear that plans for the bar near the shop were canceled?

Celebration Place must really hate this thread. Where's Soup-n-Salad Sandra on this even a rumor of this massive a price hike is worth a few inches I think....

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Disney has realised that if you have less guests but they're spending more, you make the same profits but you can save even more on your wage bill - less guests means less Cast Members required. At the moment they're testing to see how high they can raise prices and cut services before profits dip, and if they find that the only customers left are those with huge wallets, they'll be fine with that.

You may have balked at the prices but you still paid them, and that's what Disney is relying on. Raise them just enough that people will still pay... like boiling frogs in a pot.

Here's the deal though many of us REFUSE to pay these insane prices, I'd love to eat in my favorite park restaurants I can even AFFORD to pay todays prices yet I REFUSE to pay them because they are obscene. I just eat in room (DVC) and offsite. Makes me sad but I'm not stupid and paying today's prices at Disney is just stupid.

How many of us can Disney afford to lose? I'm in their currently targeted demographic but they need to provide a great deal more VALUE if they want the 'Wall St Dad' demographic because we demand quality and service, Both of which are currently in short supply at WDW recently.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom