WDW ticket price increases coming June 3rd

captainkidd

As the owner of a travel agency, I see many people spending money on Disney as well as non-Disney vacations - if Disney is "out of whack", then so are many other vacation destinations.

Never said they didn't. I do as well. Doesn't mean I don't find it insulting.

Horizons1

When is it going to end? Soon it'll be $100 dollars for a day ticket to a theme park. There has to be some sort of cap. Whoever is calling these price hikes needs to be removed.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
A side note on this, but at Wide World of Sports they allow no private cameras with Mickey when a sports team meets him. The area is even blacked out so parents can not even see their kids meeting Mickey, but are gladly told the photopass prices afterwards.

I can totally see Meet n' Greets becoming "No Personal Photographic Devices, Please" areas in a few years, if not sooner. I'd put money on Disney already thinking about this is some way.

This price increase means that even as DVC members we aren't going to WDW this year. As a family of 6, airfare is probably going to cost us $2000. Park passes would now add another $2000. Food... at least $1500. When we had AP's, we could go 2-3 times per year, but airfare and food costs have risen so much that we simply can't afford to continue that. And now that children's AP's cost the same as adults.... well, all I can say is that I have a single finger on my hand raised to Disney for that bone-headed, bean-counters-run-the-show decision. Some people were buying a child's AP to get the discounts? Require an adult with a valid ID and any/all children be present when redeeming AP vouchers and you eliminate the problem, plus you don't screw the 98% of AP's that do play by the rules.

This price increase leads me down a couple of paths. They are focusing/counting a LOT on overseas visitors. They think they are going to be pulling in a lot more people once the FLE opens. And, most importantly - TWDC thinks most US guests are just going to continue to flock to the parks, spend money, overpay for mediocre food, and buy lots of cheap, overpriced, bland merchandise. Are they expecting a few AP holders to not renew? Yes. Are they expecting a few regulars to cut back? I'm sure. But the greatest, most get-their-attention response guests can give is by voting with their wallets. Don't renew your AP, and don't buy park hoppers and go to the parks. If you do go, don't go as often as you would, and don't stay on-site if you can. Go to UNI/IOA more, Sea World more, Busch Gardens more. Spend less on food. Spend less on merchandise. Yes, Disney is a business and is looking to make money. And if enough people can actually follow thru and not take that vacation, don't renew their AP's, and generally hit them where it hurts, someone will notice. If they don't, well, then that should tell you more than enough about where their true priorities are.

And Disney doesn't give a damn about DVC owners once they buy in. Most of the perks are focused on niche's and specific, narrow demographics. No discount on non-AP park passes. No discount on the dining plan (DVC guests couldn't even get the dining plan until a few years ago). Few merchandise discounts. Few restaurant discounts. You can golf for a discounted rate (before 8am and after 6pm). Whee....

Maybe I'm just still more than a bit pi--ed off at this price increase coming on top of the Iger/Rasulo statements that domestic spending is going to be "significantly" reduced when DCA, FLE, Aulani, and the 4th cruise ship are done, so you can take my comments with a few grains of salt if you wish. So basically, FLE, the Test Track refurb, and the Star Tours refurb are it for WDW as far as attraction-based spending goes for the foreseeable future. Congratulations, powers-that-be - you actually have succeeded in making me believe that you in fact could care less about WDW than you have in the past 4-6 years.

joe80x86

It is not like money comes easy but as a season pass holder if I just go 8 days a year I am still only paying $38 a day. Gate admission and an unlimited ride armband at the local fair on a Saturday is $35 (10+25) for an adult. So yeah it is still a great deal.

Wesleyjohn

But using your points elsewhere ends up costing you more. Disney wins either way. It's also interesting to note that the DVC resale market is choked with contracts that are not selling. :wave:

Yet as a DVC member, if I don't book at the maximum amount of time available to me. I tend to not get what I want or where I want to be when it comes to location. DVC points are getting used up quick. Seems to me they need to build more resorts. With additions to GF and AofA coming online should only be putting more money into Disney pockets.

Trying to put a positive spin on things would be - more people and higher rates will mean more money for investments (5th gate or expansions) but I'll let others poo-poo that thought. I can dream.

Also, how does it cost us more? Disney gets our money either way but DVC members can go where they feel there money is spent best per the destination.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think it's a mentality thing. As an AP holder, I can't see myself spending $3,000 on 5 AP's per year. Not when I was spending about $2,200 about 5 years ago.

It's insulting (to me anyways) to see Disney so out of whack with the rest of the economy's inflation rates.
When you put it that way it brings in a whole different perspective. $3,000 for the family to have annual passes is pretty tough to rationalize. Since you are paying the non-Florida rate I assume you would need gas or airfare plus hotel rooms, meals and incidentals for at least 2 weeks to make the annual pass worth it. That has to be close to $10,000 a year on WDW vacations. I can see the psychological impact of tickets going over $3,000 for you. I was really looking at it from my perspective of going every other year or maybe every year for a week. For me it is not a big deal, but I am not investing anywhere near as much. They really do seem to be catering to the "casual" guest at the expense of the more frequent visitors. That really makes no sense for the company to do.

sweetpee_1993

Feelin' even better about our family's decision to change up the travel patterns.... We stayed at Pop 2 nights and went to Typhoon Lagoon for 1 day last month. Then we left to go on a Disney cruise. Normally, WDW would get 9 nights worth of deluxe $$, 4 FL resident seasonals, & $3k+ in food/incidentals. This year they got a fraction of that. Want to get the full bang for your expensive Disney vacation? Go check out the cruises! Not only have we started to look beyond WDW's boundaries, we're also moving on. Disney isn't the end-all be-all folks. In the next 2 years we have 3 cruise vacations booked, only 1 of which is with the mouse.

Like I said, feelin' goooooood that I'm not getting the beating on the price increases. Feelin' even better that the few times we were close to pulling the trigger on DVC we didn't do it. I'd be seriously miffed if I was tied to that place. :wave:

Jimmy Thick

Looks like more rides for Jimmy and family, :)

Even with the price increase, watch Magic Kingdom hit 18 million.

Jimmy Thick-Its goooooooooood to be Jimmy!!!

jeff59rt

As DVC owners we went over spring break this year and stayed at SS. we had to drive as air fair was 3 times what it was 3 years ago. We went to universal and sea world only no WDW parks. Our room cost us 2 years in points to stay that week, here's the kicker they changed the same week next year to the same as Christmas as being the most expensive week of the year. This would cost us more than 3 years of pionts for the same week. Tickets,food, air fair , car....it all adds up to less vacations at WDW and using our points at 1000s of other places with a better value.

wow ticket prices and 3 and 4 day blackouts

DISNEY RAISING TICKET PRICES..... BUT THEY ARE GOING TO CHARGE KIDS 3 - 9 THE SAME AS ADULTS O.M G thats just WRONG !!! so a 3 year old that probably wont remember much is going to pay THE SAME AS ADULTS... REALLY!!! HEARTLESS JUST HEARTLESS... AND WAIT TILL YOU SEE WHAT THEY RAISED 3 AND 4 DAY PASSES WITH THE PARK HOPPER,and added blackout dates so you CANT go in summer when kids are outta school YOUR EYES WILL POP OUTTA YOUR HEAD!!!! I AM DONE WITH DISNEY!!! and how convienent of them to raise the prices(JUNE 3) before people can GET THEIR KIDS OUTTA SCHOOL ON THE 7TH ALL THOSE PEOPLE WHO MADE PLANS TO GO FOR SUMMER ARE IN FOR A RUDE SURPRISE
O MG KIDS ANNUAL SEASON PASS IS GOING UP 20 PERCENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ADULTS 3 PERCENT OK FINE, BUT 20 PERCENT .. PLEASE SOMEBODY FIX THIS!!!!!!!!!!!! ADULT FLORIDA RES SEASONAL WAS 286 AND KIDS 236 NOW ADULTS 299 AND KIDS ALSO 299....... sad very sad

Wrong, Cruel, and Blindsided

I think we are saying the same thing. A Disney vacation is very, very expensive and not everyone can afford it. The Europe analogy is pretty much right on. I like to do other things for vacation too, but we visit WDW at least every other year and sometimes every year. That being said, I still fail to see how a ticket hike of less than $100 for a 1 week trip for a family of 4 makes that much difference if you already planned on spending all that money. I guess Disney is banking on people thinking like me. We will see if attendance suffers from the hike.

im taking my money elsewhere, i have had annual passes for 3 years plus now.. i have spent 150 days at disney in last three years..( i live in fort lauderdale) but this is the end for me. how rude of them to hurt the florida residents so they are blacked out from going in summer unless they pay for annual passes, 3 and 4 day passes will NOW have same blackout dates as seasonal passes, and to make matters worse. they are going to charge KIDS the same PRICE as adults.. went from 236 seasonal for kids to now 299 ADULTS PRICE.. do the math.. and look at the timing.. this feels like you spouse just came home and asked for a Divorce. and you thought everything was good, :drevil: so long disney , hope your happy counting all that CASH

Wesleyjohn

As DVC owners we went over spring break this year and stayed at SS. we had to drive as air fair was 3 times what it was 3 years ago. We went to universal and sea world only no WDW parks. Our room cost us 2 years in points to stay that week, here's the kicker they changed the same week next year to the same as Christmas as being the most expensive week of the year. This would cost us more than 3 years of pionts for the same week. Tickets,food, air fair , car....it all adds up to less vacations at WDW and using our points at 1000s of other places with a better value.

Based on DVC rules, somewhere in the calendar year the points are less then they were the year before since that week increased. If possible look into going at another time. We go during one of the cheapest times of the year every time and get way better return. Just a thought if doable

Of course they realize this.
And they're perfectly willing to sacrifice many of the lesser spending passholders to improve the overall experience for the less-often visitors who spend more money on their trips.

And this will be a non-issue for many regulars.
The vast majority of the passholders who stay at the Disney Resorts aren't gonna pull out over a small $55 increase.
It's the cheap ones who don't spend money at the shops, restaurants, or stay on property that may pull away.
And Disney's fine with that. :cool:

you couldnt be more wrong!! as a annual pass holder i go to disney so many times and out spend the people flying over.. HOTEL STAYS, MERCH, FOOD.. ETC..

Pixiedustmaker

There definetly seems to be a push to thin out the passholders. I am most shocked that children's prices on annual passes are the same as adults. That will make it near impossible for many families to afford.

And I truly believe this is Disney pushing back at the fanbase for the constant complaining and "status watches" on effects and maintenance. I think they have finally decided that they prefer the clueless tourist to the constant flow of income from passholders. Tourists don't know any different. Passholders notice when a lightbulb is out...

Eh, any press is good press. Thousands, if not tens of thousands, of APers and fans love to nit-pick on the parks. All the additions, such as FLE and Carsland are covered pretty heavily on this board and others.

I also don't think that Disney wants to get rid of the APers.

I'd like to know how many APers WDW has, as it is reported that Disneyland has about a million APers. If the AP pass cost about $600, times one million, you can see that Annual Passes are big time cash for DLR. If the parks aren't at capacity, it doesn't cost much to give out annual passes to bring in revenue.

At some point, the APs will cost so much that TDO will lose money, same thing with Anaheim. I find it hard to believe that APers are so hated as they are paying customers, and they do buy food in the parks. Maybe they aren't hoarding up merchandise on each trip, but over a year I'd guess APers buy a lot of merchandise, especially the special event stuff.

I do think Disney overeached with the price increase and they might have to backtrack. Seriously, ticket prices are up something like 100% over the last half decade.

Am I the only one who doesn't understand why the child ap would be the same price as the adult ap? Some kids aren't even tall enough to enjoy all the rides. Why should we have to pay the same price for them?

EXCELLENT POINT, i also called and complained that charging a 3 year old the same as a adult is just wrong.. the kid wont even remember.. so cold and heartless.. i was a annual passholder for 3 plus years,, NO MORE!!

I thought they took care of that by taking away any significant discounts in recent years. Passholders really don't get that much of a break on anything anymore. Our offers are often almost identical to that of the general public.

agreed in the 3 years i am a annual pass holder i compared hotel discounts to JOE SMOE without a A>P and he gets a better deal? im sad i wont be able to help the people from out of town making big mercandise purchases buy showing the clerk my pass so they save money, i did that to fight back at disney nickel and diming and LOOK AT THEM NOW...:brick:

Pixiedustmaker

. . .

They already know that they have the domestic market wrapped up.

Not by a long-shot. TDO is nervous about Potterland, when the second phase opens, just another reason for guests to stay off property. Yes, Disney was the industry leader, but its more of a horse race now. The best rides opened in the past couple years have been Potterland and Transformers.

Overall, the mouse is betting that FLE and Carsland justifies raising the prices on both coasts . . . some believe that they may be in for a rude awakening.

When you've got the majority market share, the only place to go is down.

Freshee61

Yep,:mad:
I hope all the ap go on strike for a lil bit. I for one after ten consecutive years will give universal and sea world my ap money... PLUS :mad: with all this x pass, no late arrival for fast pass, etc the regular lines even in regular season will be tough.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
The price change will have absolutely no impact on the way or frequency I visit WDW. :shrug:

In the grand scheme of things it's negligible at best.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom