WDW ticket price increases coming June 3rd

Skyway

MisterID---

Your observations, although possibly accurate, have no relevance.

It costs the same for someone to go to UNI or DL instead of WDW. The exact same. So you can't accuse WDW of chasing those people away because of cost. If they're trading a day at WDW to go to UNI instead, that visitor is actually paying more because they're not benefitting from multi-day savings, and hence not being chased away by price. And if they're going to DL instead, or taking a Disney cruise, guess who is still getting their money?

Bob is dead right. A die hard Disney fan will spend whatever it takes to go somewhere they consider "priceless" (These message board comments are IDENTICAL to the ones made 10 years ago when Disney raised their prices over $50. In hindsight, those predicting WDW's bankruptcy were a bit over-dramatic)

Those truly deterred from a Disney vacation because the ticket price increases $5 or $20 are not the type of big-spending tourists the company hopes to attract. They are truly not going to lose that person who claims "I spend hundreds on souvenirs, hotels, and food" over a price hike the equivalent of an appetizer at dinner or a Hitchhiking Ghost t-shirt (and to those who say "I'll just have less money to buy those things", guess who's now got your money upfront instead of waiting for you to go into a restaurant or gift shop?)

Even if Disney sees the a slight drop in attendance (due to chasing off those few visitors right on the economic fringe who can't tolerate the slight price increase) the company has certainly made up for the loss by the higher revenue being brought in by the countless others who paid their price hike.

Quite frankly, if you are someone who is on that economic fringe that is truly hurt by these price increases, then you shouldn't be spending your last pennies on robotic pirates and sweaty dudes dressed up as mice. Your financial priorities need to be elsewhere.

For others who are not a churro away from the poor house but are still upset by the price increases (but not so upset to give up WDW for a cheaper destination), it's OK to be frustrated. But don't accuse Disney of being "greedy". Disney is being American, benefiting from the free-market capitalism that made this nation great. YOU are being the "greedy" one if you think Disney should give away its valuable product. They don't owe you anything.

If you feel Disney is making itself out-of-reach of the average customer, what's your suggestion? Keep prices exactly as they are for the next decade? They are many who find it unaffordable now. So should Disney drop its admission to 1980's prices, making itself accessible to a wider audience? I'm not quite sure you want to be standing in that 5 hour Space Mountain line next to the group of foul-mouthed teens whose parents bought them cheap AP's to use as babysitters, while Crackhead Bill from the rehab clinic picks through the overflowing trash can looking for cigarette butts to smoke, all the while trying to listen to the queue music over the chanting from that enormous group of Brazillian tourists who can not only afford to have a cheap vacation thanks to the exchange rate, but can now bring all their other relatives now that it's even cheaper to visit WDW?????????????

I'd love to go to Hawaii. I can't afford it right now. I'm not angry at the airlines and the hotel operators for being "greedy" and making the trip out of my price range (even though they're obviously doing well with the tourists who can afford a Hawaiian vacation). Hopefully when I do get a chance to go (after my other financial priorities are taken care of) I know the price of a Luau feast on Waikikii Beach will be outrageously expensive. But I'm going to pay it because they've got a product that has value to me.

misterID

MisterID---

Your observations, although possibly accurate, have no relevance.

It costs the same for someone to go to UNI or DL instead of WDW. The exact same. So you can't accuse WDW of chasing those people away because of cost. If they're trading a day at WDW to go to UNI instead, that visitor is actually paying more because they're not benefitting from multi-day savings, and hence not being chased away by price. And if they're going to DL instead, or taking a Disney cruise, guess who is still getting their money?

Bob is dead right. A die hard Disney fan will spend whatever it takes to go somewhere they consider "priceless" (These message board comments are IDENTICAL to the ones made 10 years ago when Disney raised their prices over $50. In hindsight, those predicting WDW's bankruptcy were a bit over-dramatic)

Those truly deterred from a Disney vacation because the ticket price increases $5 or $20 are not the type of big-spending tourists the company hopes to attract. They are truly not going to lose that person who claims "I spend hundreds on souvenirs, hotels, and food" over a price hike the equivalent of an appetizer at dinner or a Hitchhiking Ghost t-shirt (and to those who say "I'll just have less money to buy those things", guess who's now got your money upfront instead of waiting for you to go into a restaurant or gift shop?)

Even if Disney sees the a slight drop in attendance (due to chasing off those few visitors right on the economic fringe who can't tolerate the slight price increase) the company has certainly made up for the loss by the higher revenue being brought in by the countless others who paid their price hike.

Quite frankly, if you are someone who is on that economic fringe that is truly hurt by these price increases, then you shouldn't be spending your last pennies on robotic pirates and sweaty dudes dressed up as mice. Your financial priorities need to be elsewhere.

For others who are not a churro away from the poor house but are still upset by the price increases (but not so upset to give up WDW for a cheaper destination), it's OK to be frustrated. But don't accuse Disney of being "greedy". Disney is being American, benefiting from the free-market capitalism that made this nation great. YOU are being the "greedy" one if you think Disney should give away its valuable product. They don't owe you anything.

If you feel Disney is making itself out-of-reach of the average customer, what's your suggestion? Keep prices exactly as they are for the next decade? They are many who find it unaffordable now. So should Disney drop its admission to 1980's prices, making itself accessible to a wider audience? I'm not quite sure you want to be standing in that 5 hour Space Mountain line next to the group of foul-mouthed teens whose parents bought them cheap AP's to use as babysitters, while Crackhead Bill from the rehab clinic picks through the overflowing trash can looking for cigarette butts to smoke, all the while trying to listen to the queue music over the chanting from that enormous group of Brazillian tourists who can not only afford to have a cheap vacation thanks to the exchange rate, but can now bring all their other relatives now that it's even cheaper to visit WDW?????????????

I'd love to go to Hawaii. I can't afford it right now. I'm not angry at the airlines and the hotel operators for being "greedy" and making the trip out of my price range (even though they're obviously doing well with the tourists who can afford a Hawaiian vacation). Hopefully when I do get a chance to go (after my other financial priorities are taken care of) I know the price of a Luau feast on Waikikii Beach will be outrageously expensive. But I'm going to pay it because they've got a product that has value to me.

Did you take a breath while writing that out? :cool:

misterID said:
I have the money to go. WDW is not worth the money they're asking for.

Paying the same price for a ticket to AK and DHS as MK? I don't think so.

I never said they owed me or anyone else anything. They have the right to be greedy. It is the American way... Just like Freedom of speech, you're allowed to voice your opinion about anything you want.

My suggestion? Make your parks worth the price increase, then talk to me.

Oh, and I hope that post was a "red-stater" parody, because that's exactly what you come off as, Jimmy.

Lucky

MisterID---

YOU are being the "greedy" one if you think Disney should give away its valuable product.

I don't see anyone calling for WDW to cut their prices, never mind giving things away. The consensus here seems to be that it should raise its prices more slowly, maybe at a rate that is closer to the general inflation rate. I don't think that would fill the parks up with these undesirables you're so worried about.

nyfrenchy

I will be downgrading to a seasonal pass, and I know six different ways to park for free, and I won't feel guilty about it because this time the increase is too steep.

captainkidd

The Orlando Sentinel has a pretty good history of not questoning Disney and their business decisions. Today, they seem to feel the need to address it...

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/the-daily-disney/os-beth-kassab-disney-ticket-prices-060312-20120603,0,7241802.column

This is it right here:

A hundred bucks is a lot of money. Like $4-per-gallon gas, it's a psychological milestone.

"The moment you get to three digits, it has an emotional impact," says Eli Portnoy, CEO of CultureRanch, which studies consumer behavior. "It's a barrier no one wants to cross, and Disney is going to have to be careful about crossing it."

Jimmy Thick

Watching the people posting in this thread squirm is down-right hiliarious.

Seriously, the ticket increase is very, very modest. The single day went from 85 dollars to 89 dollars, that will hardly break anyones wallet. A Universal ticket is 88 dollars and you don't even get half of what Disney offers.

As for the annual pass, annual passes are for people who go so often they can afford the value of such a ticket. Now if they go that often, chances are they can afford the increase.

/end.

If this price increase is so alarmingly drastic, I suggest you find another place to vacation at. It's not really, but it appears thats what people want others to notice.

Jimmy Thick-Disney won't notice though.

DisneyFan 2000

You're, once again Jimmy Thick, missing the point. If management found a way to justify the price increase then this wouldn't nearly be the problem that it is. Hell, I'd pay those $89 and maybe more for an entrance to TDR or DLR but I'm finding myself hard-pressed to come up with a reason to visit WDW any time soon.

Jimmy Thick

You're, once again Jimmy Thick, missing the point. If management found a way to justify the price increase then this wouldn't nearly be the problem that it is. Hell, I'd pay those $89 and maybe more for an entrance to TDR or DLR but I'm finding myself hard-pressed to come up with a reason to visit WDW any time soon.

You're hard pressed, Iam not. I have no issues paying it, and Iam quite fearless to predict millions will pay it as well without complaining about it, and will find the parks worth every penny.

Face it, the only people complaining about it are the doom and gloomers. Its the new flavour of the month.

Jimmy Thick-My flavour of the month? Dole Whip.

G00fyDad

Watching the people posting in this thread squirm is down-right hiliarious.

Seriously, the ticket increase is very, very modest. The single day went from 85 dollars to 89 dollars, that will hardly break anyones wallet. A Universal ticket is 88 dollars and you don't even get half of what Disney offers.

As for the annual pass, annual passes are for people who go so often they can afford the value of such a ticket. Now if they go that often, chances are they can afford the increase.

/end.

If this price increase is so alarmingly drastic, I suggest you find another place to vacation at. It's not really, but it appears thats what people want others to notice.

Jimmy Thick-Disney won't notice though.

That's it folks!! Not one, but two zombie acts in 5 days, and now I am actually agreeing with Jimmy Thick! The end of the world is nigh!! :eek:

If people are really freaked out over this then they should probably stop vacationing at WDW, after all, that is the sentiment I keep hearing from everyone losing it over this increase. The average family of four, going for a week, will experience only $112 extra paid for the entire trip. Keep this in mind, Disney could be making you actually pay the full ticket amount when you buy a package instead of giving you discounts for the longer you stay. Really, if $112 more is going to push the line for many people, then they should just stay home.

flynnibus

Premium Member

The ticket increases are not 'modest' for FL residents. FL ticket prices jumped 10-19% and child prices jumped in the same range due to making child passes the same cost as adult passes.

Wesleyjohn

Mayan Calendar

Nice to see that it only took 12 pages of thread to get to some on the non-doom and gloom. gee wiz.

Fortunately I will only have to work 1 week at my new McDonald's job or 3-4 hours of overtime this year at current gig to pay for this massive increase that Disney has so crazily burdened me with.:ROFLOL:

For those doom and gloomers, fyi, they found an extension to the Mayan calendar. The world isn't ending

misterID

That's it folks!! Not one, but two zombie acts in 5 days, and now I am actually agreeing with Jimmy Thick! The end of the world is nigh!! :eek:

If people are really freaked out over this then they should probably stop vacationing at WDW, after all, that is the sentiment I keep hearing from everyone losing it over this increase. The average family of four, going for a week, will experience only $112 extra paid for the entire trip. Keep this in mind, Disney could be making you actually pay the full ticket amount when you buy a package instead of giving you discounts for the longer you stay. Really, if $112 more is going to push the line for many people, then they should just stay home.

Why don't you guys stop telling people how they should react to the price increase and how substantial it is to them? How about that.

Jimmy Thick

The ticket increases are not 'modest' for FL residents. FL ticket prices jumped 10-19% and child prices jumped in the same range due to making child passes the same cost as adult passes.

And how much of an increase is a child's price compared to an adult price? Thousands like people posting will make you believe? If the prices are so outrageous, yet people will pay 88 dollars per day to go to Universal, LOLZ, then don't go. Its as simple as that. When all is said and done, Disney is a better value, but people just have to complain about something.

As for the Florida residents, they still have it cheaper than anyone else, a above modest increase is justified.

You know, Iam beginng to soften my stance about Disney reading these forums, I think they do things like raise prices just to see what the same handfull of people have to cry about. It would be funny if Meg Crofton was the greatest internet troll ever.

Jimmy Thick-Someone should start a rumor about charging for using the toilet...

Jimmy Thick

For those doom and gloomers, fyi, they found an extension to the Mayan calendar. The world isn't ending

The world is ending for some people over this though, maybe the Mayan calander has nothing to do with it.

Wait a second, didn't the Mayan people sacrifice human beings to statues of eggplants?

Jimmy Thick-AmI missing something?

G00fyDad

Why don't you guys stop telling people how they should react to the price increase and how substantial it is to them? How about that.

Thanks for the suggestion. :rolleyes:

I'm not telling anyone how they should react to the price increase. I am saying that the negative reaction to the increase is ridiculous. I don't really care if they jump for joy, or curl up into the fetal position s__________g their thumb over it. But is it really that substantial? This is like someone driving a Mustang (WDW) around and griping about how much it costs them each month. Drive a Taurus (Six Flags). :wave:

Did you take a breath while writing that out? :cool:

Paying the same price for a ticket to AK and DHS as MK? I don't think so.

I never said they owed me or anyone else anything. They have the right to be greedy. It is the American way... Just like Freedom of speech, you're allowed to voice your opinion about anything you want.

My suggestion? Make your parks worth the price increase, then talk to me.

Oh, and I hope that post was a "red-stater" parody, because that's exactly what you come off as, Jimmy.

well said .. you just trumped the long boring employess like writing article by the other poster. im taking my money elsewhere and as will many others, and if i go to disney ill be looking to buy tickets from those little booths on side of road and take my chances, ive done in before with no probs, ecspecially water park tix for 25 - 30 dollars.

Jimmy Thick

What is substantial? Define substantial?

What is substantial to you could be nothing to me. Could be nothing to miliions. Check that, will be nothing to millions.

But it will be substantial to a handfull of people who need something to complain about. This is all this thread is. Nothing more. People will still go to Disney World.

Jimmy Thick-People complain about Disney at 89 dollars but not Universal at 88? Something wrong there....

misterID

Thanks for the suggestion. :rolleyes:

I'm not telling anyone how they should react to the price increase. I am saying that the negative reaction to the increase is ridiculous. I don't really care if they jump for joy, or curl up into the fetal position s__________g their thumb over it. But is it really that substantial? This is like someone driving a Mustang (WDW) around and griping about how much it costs them each month. Drive a Taurus (Six Flags). :wave:

It is really that substantial to some people, who save their money to vacation there. The real question, is it worth saving that much more?

When you agree with a troll, that says everything.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom