WDW ticket price increases coming June 3rd

Captain Chaos

Haven't seen that, but it wouldn't surprise me. Disney seems absolutely determined to make everyone a DVC member. Problem I see is, I can't fathom dedicating myself to WDW on a long term basis right now. At least not from I've seen over the past decade. I still go (and love to), but would not want to be tied into going there.

Stupid me... I should have done this from the star instead of listening to people online... I called member services... Yes, the DVC AP will be $425...

Oddysey

I am not convinced that they are trying to reduce the number of passholders. It is more likely that when the pay per month plan was initiated last year that there was a significant increase in AP purchases because it is perceived to be more affordable. After the increase in AP purchases they likely adjusted the prices to a level they felt the market could bear because of the new monthly payment plan. In other words, people may pay more than before because of the month to month benefit rather than paying an initial lump sum.

Although it does feel like a giant kick in the gut, and especially when I have to pay the same price for my tiny child who does not have the benefit of experiencing all of the attractions. All being said, as an 8 year passholder who just renewed a couple of months ago, I am not sure if I will pay the new rate next year or not. Time will tell.

Oddysey

New resorts are supposed to pay for themselves--if not they wouldn't be built. They aren't for housing previously homeless people.

Updates and such should also draw new customers. The cost of maintenance should be included in the current ticket price.

Here's a fun fact. In 2005, a single-day base MYW ticket was $59.75. Inflation since then has been quite small, so that should be $70.39 here in 2012 if they just needed to keep up with general inflation. Instead it is $89.

More: in 2005, a 5-day base MYW was $193. In 2012, adjusted for inflation, that would be $227.38. Actual new price: $278.

Premium annual pass (non-renewal). In 2005, was $515. In 2012, would be $606.73 with inflation. New cost is $699.

Using the average of the CPI for adjustments and applying them to a Theme Park that consumes an enormous amount of energy, and pays an enormous amount in employment benefits especially health benefits is a poor indicator for what prices should reflect. If anything park operating cost are exceeding the average CPI percentage increase because sectors such as energy and health care have grown significantely over the average rate of inflation.

Not saying that I am a fan of the increases. In fact I hate them, but the average rate of inflation as reflected by the CPI is a really poor indicator for making an arguement that Disney is gouging above the rate of inflation. Especially when considering their expense inflation is likely greater than the average rate.

All being said, it was at least interesting to see how the prices have increased along with the average rate, and I thank you for putting the work in. :wave:

dreamfinder

IMHO, it seems that Disney's encouraging people to buy tickets with both the park hopper and water parks & more options while punishing those who purchase any other type of ticket.

Which makes sense to me from their point of view. I still view most hopping as a waste of park time. By the time you get to the entrance, and then get to the other park, and then get onto an attraction, you have often wasted an hour. When the parks are only open for 12 hours a day (9-9 not uncommon), thats a chunk of time you could have been doing something in park. But instead they offload you to the transportation system instead of an in park attraction, helping to reduce load. And the same applies with the WP&M. If you truly plan on doing a 10 day trip with a 5 day+WP&M, then you win if you use all 5 WP&M days. But not everyone does, and many people choose to do both a More day and a Park day. So WDW gets you out of park for at least half a day, keeping you on property and offloading some of the in park traffic.

Stupid me... I should have done this from the star instead of listening to people online... I called member services... Yes, the DVC AP will be $425...

Well, that is good news to me. Helps justify my purchase.

LuvsTheMouse

So here's my problem. Trying to buy son's annual pass this morning. He's two and a half. He won't need it this summer, but he will at Christmas. The only option I'm being given is will call. I can't the get the option for a will ship voucher. I'm on hold with tickets. The wait is 30 minutes.

Anyone else having problems this AM?

I just called Disney, was on hold for 45minutes. To have a voucher mailed to you there is a $5.00 charge. I told her that option was not available online (only willcall) which she was suprised. You have one year to redeem the voucher for a pass.

Hope this helps :wave:

flynnibus

Premium Member
$55 multiplied by X number of passes is a pretty big YoY increase. While small in the grand scheme of things, Walt Disnet World has lost from me and my wife alone $750-$800 in tickets, $1500-2000 in annual lodging, and easily $2000-$3000 in annual food and merchandise purchases. And we are only a family of two! And the fact that it really doesnt matter to them is very disheartening. They will keep toting it as no big deal though and say things like "you can get annual pass for only $30/month!"

There should be low barriers of entry to reoccuring revenue streams. I really do think they are pricing many people out with this increase.

And where do you think the break-even point for AP pricing should be? The AP pass for FL residents is less than 9 day break-even. The old pricing the break-even was over 7 days. The break-even for non-FL residents is more than double that.

I think you are looking at the price jump and missing the bigger picture. You still have the best pricing by far. The price jump for the FL Annual was the biggest of them all... more than 3x the average price jump of the others.

The biggest increases across the board were FL resident passes, tickets, children APs, and no expiration options.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Base Ticket Add-Ons
Adult (10+) Child (3-9) Park Hopper Water Park & More No Expiration
Days on Ticket Change New Price Change New Price Change New Price Change New Price Change New Price
1 4.5% $89.00 4.8% $83.00 0.0% $35.00 3.5% $57.00 na na
2 4.5% $176.00 5.5% $164.00 3.5% $57.00 3.5% $57.00 16.7% $30.00
3 4.1% $242.00 5.3% $226.00 3.5% $57.00 3.5% $57.00 12.5% $40.00
4 4.3% $256.00 6.3% $239.00 3.5% $57.00 3.5% $57.00 11.8% $85.00
5 6.3% $268.00 7.2% $250.00 3.5% $57.00 3.5% $57.00 11.5% $130.00
6 6.8% $278.00 7.7% $260.00 3.5% $57.00 3.5% $57.00 21.2% $165.00
7 7.3% $288.00 8.1% $270.00 3.5% $57.00 3.5% $57.00 15.8% $190.00
8 7.7% $298.00 8.6% $280.00 3.5% $57.00 3.5% $57.00 9.3% $215.00
9 8.1% $308.00 9.0% $290.00 3.5% $57.00 3.5% $57.00 12.0% $250.00
10 8.5% $318.00 9.3% $300.00 3.5% $57.00 3.5% $57.00 18.2% $275.00

Adult (10+) Child (3-9) Park Hopper Water Park & More
FL Resident Tickets Change New Price Change New Price Change New Price Change New Price
1 14.0% $89.00 14.3% $83.00 0.0% $17.50 3.5% $28.50
3 18.3% $169.00 19.1% $157.00 3.5% $28.50 3.5% $28.50
4 10.4% $192.00 11.2% $178.00 3.5% $28.50 3.5% $28.50

Adult (10+) Child (3-9)
Annual Passes Change New Price Change New Price
Annual Pass 9.6% $574.00 16.7% $574.00
FL Annual Pass 32.0% $425.00 15.8% $425.00
Premium Pass 7.2% $699.00 14.4% $699.00
FL Premium Pass 8.9% $559.00 16.1% $559.00
FL Seasonal Pass 10.0% $299.00 17.1% $299.00

1 Day Annual Pass
Adult Child Adult Child
Outside Attractions Change New Price Change New Price Change New Price Change New Price
Water Park 5.8% $52.00 6.8% $44.00 0.0% $99.95 0.0% $80.50
DisneyQuest 2.3% $44.00 2.6% $38.00 0.0% $89.00 0.0% $71.00
DisneyQuest + Water Parks na na na na 0.0% $129.00 0.0% $99.00
ESPN WWOS 9.4% $14.95 9.1% $10.28 na na na na

Services Change New Price
Parking 0.0% $14.00
Stroller 0.0% $15.00
Stroller (LoS) 0.0% $13.00
Double Stroller 0.0% $31.00
Double Stroller (LoS) 0.0% $27.00
Theme Park Locker (S) 0.0% $7.00
Theme Park Locker (L) 0.0% $9.00
Water Park Locker (S) 0.0% $8.00
Water Park Locker (L) 0.0% $10.00
Wheelchair 0.0% $12.00
Wheelchair (LoS) 0.0% $10.00
ECV 0.0% $50.00

maxairmike

I don't believe anyone has mentioned this, but perhaps they noticed that a lot of FL APs were visiting just to or below the break-even point, and that it wasn't translating into long term spending? Being a local, I often visit with the mindset of "Oh, I'll do/get that on another trip." Living a stone's throw away from the park, I can do that and actually follow through, but a lot of Florida APs are probably held by people an hour or more away and use it more like a 3 day ticket for a weekend, and if they're thinking like that because they have an AP, they might not spend, and might not spend in the future with that mind-set. Pushing some of those weekend vacation folks to once or twice a year families with actual 3 day tickets through the AP price increases may actually increase their spending because they now know they'll only be there maybe once more that year and so will buy that item instead of continually putting it off.

Probably not huge in the bigger picture, but being a local and also being a pass holder for another chain when I lived up north and 3 hours from two of the chain parks, I know that's how I thought (and still think) about purchases all the time. Just something to think about.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The FL resident AP jump is still less than the Premium AP jump at DL that has the locals in a tizzy that someone had the nerve to deny THEM unlimited, 365 day a year access to DL instead of buying a lesser pass.

And WDW parkhopper is cheaper than DL now! crazy thought..

captainkidd

The FL resident AP jump is still less than the Premium AP jump at DL that has the locals in a tizzy that someone had the nerve to deny THEM unlimited, 365 day a year access to DL instead of buying a lesser pass.

And WDW parkhopper is cheaper than DL now! crazy thought..

I read somewhere that DL might do away with the 6 day park hopper.I guess that's their way of forcing more people to buy AP's.

Lately, I'm not sure who is worse - Disney or Exxon.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I read somewhere that DL might do away with the 6 day park hopper.I guess that's their way of forcing more people to buy AP's.

They already did. 5 day is the largest they sell now. Break-even on a deluxe AP is only 7 days for DL.. and the disney lifestyler's out there are still in a tizzy that they raised the price on the premium.

For DL it's because the premium represent a crowd they can not control at all.. they can't exclude them except for ticketed events. So they start making the premium richer.. and try to shuffle people down to the lower passes.

alphac2005

New resorts are supposed to pay for themselves--if not they wouldn't be built. They aren't for housing previously homeless people.

Updates and such should also draw new customers. The cost of maintenance should be included in the current ticket price.

Wonderfully said. As a business, you are to invest money to have a greater return. My company has been doing this for a decade and a half. The Walt Disney Company now builds to make more money by double-dipping by essentially getting the public to pay for their new revenue generators.

It's disgusting.

My wife and I were paying around $300 a year for an AP back in 1999 and it's more than doubled and at far higher than the rate of inflation all the while the company has absolutely gutted quality, shuttered attractions, and all around had a much lower quality product. We're done. Between my family and my parents, we're the households that have spent five digits in a calendar year with them. I've thought for some time that people need to realize that this is a full fledged corporation and the day of the company caring about their "guests" is long gone and the bottom line is all that matters.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Well... i thought this would be the year i returned to WDW but dont think thats going to happen hmmmm lets see mortgage or save on this trip hmmmm well need a roof over my head sorry Mickey! Seriously its every year you can set your watch to the increases in tickets. I really feel bad for the family that absolutly cannot afford it. I just hope there is a good reason the increases are coming 95$ a day? food prices are expensive and of course the souviners :brick:
the 95$ should come with a meal plan or 1 meal and should have park hopper abilities..just sayin!!
I know the mortgage comment was a joke, but anyone who is struggling to make ends meet and can't pay their bills should probably not go to Disney world. I really don't see how the annual price increase which is slightly higher than last year suddenly makes a trip to Disney too expensive. If you have the cash to pay for airfare or gas, hotel rooms, meals, and park tickets at 2011 prices you probably have the extra cash to pay the increase.

I can see why people are upset on principle that the increase is high and there is a perception that Disney is not reinvesting in the parks. I agree with that, but I am not buying the argument that this increase will push people over the limit where they can longer afford it. That is my opinion anyway

menamechris

I know the mortgage comment was a joke, but anyone who is struggling to make ends meet and can't pay their bills should probably not go to Disney world. I really don't see how the annual price increase which is slightly higher than last year suddenly makes a trip to Disney too expensive. If you have the cash to pay for airfare or gas, hotel rooms, meals, and park tickets at 2011 prices you probably have the extra cash to pay the increase.

I can see why people are upset on principle that the increase is high and there is a perception that Disney is not reinvesting in the parks. I agree with that, but I am not buying the argument that this increase will push people over the limit where they can longer afford it. That is my opinion anyway

It's not about an extra few (many) dollars. It is about value. Is the value of the product still worth the price tag? As said before, if JUST tickets were increasing at the resort, that would be one thing. But EVERYTHING is increasing - dining, snacks, souveniors, hotels. Add that to non-Disney price increases that you mentioned, such as travel and/or gas, rental cars...How is it inconceivable that a combination of all of these things will keep a rational family from a vacation to Orlando? I am sure many people will begin to realize soon that they could take their family on a very nice vacation to Europe for the same price, or cheaper. I suppose we can hope Disney has smarter MBA's working for them than Netflix...

captainkidd

They already did. 5 day is the largest they sell now. Break-even on a deluxe AP is only 7 days for DL.. and the disney lifestyler's out there are still in a tizzy that they raised the price on the premium.

For DL it's because the premium represent a crowd they can not control at all.. they can't exclude them except for ticketed events. So they start making the premium richer.. and try to shuffle people down to the lower passes.

I think this is stupid. I know it sounds crazy, but I don't see us flying all the way out to California for just 5 days at Disneyland. I know there's TONS of other stuff to do out there, but between flights, hotel and Disney tickets, I didn't want to spend any more money.

So does this mean the maximum package they sell to the DLR is just 5 nights?

Just locked in my annual passes for my August and October trips! I didn't want to order them today but for a savings of $100 pr $150 bucks I can live with it!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It's not about an extra few (many) dollars. It is about value. Is the value of the product still worth the price tag? As said before, if JUST tickets were increasing at the resort, that would be one thing. But EVERYTHING is increasing - dining, snacks, souveniors, hotels. Add that to non-Disney price increases that you mentioned, such as travel and/or gas, rental cars...How is it inconceivable that a combination of all of these things will keep a rational family from a vacation to Orlando? I am sure many people will begin to realize soon that they could take their family on a very nice vacation to Europe for the same price, or cheaper. I suppose we can hope Disney has smarter MBA's working for them than Netflix...
I think we are saying the same thing. A Disney vacation is very, very expensive and not everyone can afford it. The Europe analogy is pretty much right on. I like to do other things for vacation too, but we visit WDW at least every other year and sometimes every year. That being said, I still fail to see how a ticket hike of less than $100 for a 1 week trip for a family of 4 makes that much difference if you already planned on spending all that money. I guess Disney is banking on people thinking like me. We will see if attendance suffers from the hike.

captainkidd

I think we are saying the same thing. A Disney vacation is very, very expensive and not everyone can afford it. The Europe analogy is pretty much right on. I like to do other things for vacation too, but we visit WDW at least every other year and sometimes every year. That being said, I still fail to see how a ticket hike of less than $100 for a 1 week trip for a family of 4 makes that much difference if you already planned on spending all that money. I guess Disney is banking on people thinking like me. We will see if attendance suffers from the hike.

I think it's a mentality thing. As an AP holder, I can't see myself spending $3,000 on 5 AP's per year. Not when I was spending about $2,200 about 5 years ago.

It's insulting (to me anyways) to see Disney so out of whack with the rest of the economy's inflation rates.

DisneyJoe

It's insulting (to me anyways) to see Disney so out of whack with the rest of the economy's inflation rates.

As the owner of a travel agency, I see many people spending money on Disney as well as non-Disney vacations - if Disney is "out of whack", then so are many other vacation destinations.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom