WDW ticket price increases coming June 3rd

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Personally - No.

However, my step-father was a contractor (Carpentry, Painting, Plastering), and my best friend works for one of the largest construction companies in the country.

Neither which matter at all. This isn't rocket science we're talking about. It's basic paint and carpentry work. You don't need to be in the construction business to know when a job is taking longer than is necessary. They're not building a new high-tech ride from the ground up. Even the employees at the Bakery have said it - They're repainting and fixing some unsightly parts of the outside.
Well if a bakery CM says it, it must be true.:brick:

First of all none of us have any idea what the actual scope of work is. What might look like paint and repairs to your average novice, is very often much more involved. Building remodels and repairs are constantly harder and more time consuming than new construction. In 17 years in the business I can count the easy ones on one hand. Even if the initial scope of work was patching and painting, there is always the chance that it can expand when new problems are found. All it takes is an unknown leak, and unexpected discovery of asbestos, or a necessary code update to make a 4 week project turn into 6 months.

devoy1701

Several weeks ago as we were leaving after closing time (it was either an 11 p.m. or midnight closing time) they were most certainly using electric saws and hammers on the Chapeau behind the scrims. Obviously, I can't confirm how extensive their use is, but it indicates to me it's more than just paint and touch up.

I've also heard from a few people that it may be as extensive as ripping it down to the supports and completely rebuilding the facades.

I've heard this was the case too. This could be an exaggeration, but years of neglect in the humid Florida weather has all but deteriorated some of the facades, so the refurbs that have been happening over the past 24 months is due to the need to completely strip down and rebuild some/all of the facades.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Yeah, I'm rushing to judgement, questioning why a scrim has been up outside of the Bakery now for 6 months.

Look, we all know you've snorted enough pixie dust to fill up Spaceship Earth, but newsflash - We ALL have a right to question anything we want to question in this country. And as someone who spends A LOT of money every year at WDW, I feel I'm well within my right to ask questions. I might not get an answer, but this is a message board, in which people are free to discuss both the good AND bad of WDW. Deal with it. I love WDW as much as anyone, but I don't wear the blinders that you do. I call it like I see it.

You sure do like to throw around the word all a lot.

captainkidd

Well if a bakery CM says it, it must be true.:brick:

First of all none of us have any idea what the actual scope of work is. What might look like paint and repairs to your average novice, is very often much more involved. Building remodels and repairs are constantly harder and more time consuming than new construction. In 17 years in the business I can count the easy ones on one hand. Even if the initial scope of work was patching and painting, there is always the chance that it can expand when new problems are found. All it takes is an unknown leak, and unexpected discovery of asbestos, or a necessary code update to make a 4 week project turn into 6 months.

OK - Maybe that's the case. Maybe that was the case with the Ice Cream Plaza and Town Hall as well. I just find it odd that 20 years ago, work like this was done so much faster than today. Could all the buildings on Main Street truly be in that bad a shape?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
OK - Maybe that's the case. Maybe that was the case with the Ice Cream Plaza and Town Hall as well. I just find it odd that 20 years ago, work like this was done so much faster than today. Could all the buildings on Main Street truly be in that bad a shape?
Yes.

devoy1701

And do you know that as fact?

It's really not that far fetched. TDO from the early 2000s has a track record of neglecting basic maintenance on most areas of the parks. Because of this neglect, things have been allowed to rot/rust/deteriorate beyond being able to simply, sand, refinish, reseal, power wash, or whatever basic maintenance is normally needed. So by the time these refurbs were finally greenlit, basic clean and touch up jobs have turned into complete restore jobs.

See??? You can still hate TDO for it. :cool:

:lookaroun

:lol:

John

I think my comments may support both sides of this debate. I have been in one faze or another of the construction industry for the better part of thirty five years.
It is true that you can build something quicker from the ground up and it is also true that you really never know what scope of the job will be until you open it up.
Asbestos would probably not be a problem because the Asbestos regulations came before WDW was built ( pretty sure). There is also a lot of constraints doing a project like this because of where it is taking place and the limited access. When you see them build a house on Home Extreme Makeover, why do you think they tear the whole thing down? Much easier to start from scratch.

That said, As those who are in the industry know all it takes is money, anything can be done with enough money. Also you would need the disire to put the resources into getting it done. I personally think that what is happening at the bakery is probably a little of both. There might be some issues with the refurb and that Disney has a beauacracy (sp*) that dosnt allow the job to be expedited quicky.

I think Kidds frustration is warranted, if directed toward mangement. His experience as far as he is concerned effected greatly because of the prolonged construction ongoing with the bakery. SOme of you might not be bothered. I havnt seen it yet myself. Going in January.

captainkidd

It's really not that far fetched. TDO from the early 2000s has a track record of neglecting basic maintenance on most areas of the parks. Because of this neglect, things have been allowed to rot/rust/deteriorate beyond being able to simply, sand, refinish, reseal, power wash, or whatever basic maintenance is normally needed. So by the time these refurbs were finally greenlit, basic clean and touch up jobs have turned into complete restore jobs.

See??? You can still hate TDO for it. :cool:

:lookaroun

:lol:

I don't hate TDO, and I'm not denying that's it a possibility. My point was basically this: None of us know EXACTLY what is going on. We're all just taking guesses. The only difference is in how we see things. I'm the first to admit, I'm a pessimist when it comes to this type of work. I'm glad it's being done, but it's taken far too long, which is I'll admit, a good possibility as to why it's taking so long to complete.

There's no right or wrong, because none of us knows. I just can't stand people who think they are right simply because they decide to give Disney the benefit of the doubt. That's all fine and good, and I wish I hadn't been so jaded in recent years, but it is what it is. The whole "if you don't love everything about WDW, you must hate it" mentality is ridiculous to me. There are many of us who have seen WDW at it's very best, working almost as a flawless entertainment machine. And to see it not running as such, it hardens the heart a bit.

devoy1701

I don't hate TDO, and I'm not denying that's it a possibility. My point was basically this: None of us know EXACTLY what is going on. We're all just taking guesses. The only difference is in how we see things. I'm the first to admit, I'm a pessimist when it comes to this type of work. I'm glad it's being done, but it's taken far too long, which is I'll admit, a good possibility as to why it's taking so long to complete.

There's no right or wrong, because none of us knows. I just can't stand people who think they are right simply because they decide to give Disney the benefit of the doubt. That's all fine and good, and I wish I hadn't been so jaded in recent years, but it is what it is. The whole "if you don't love everything about WDW, you must hate it" mentality is ridiculous to me. There are many of us who have seen WDW at it's very best, working almost as a flawless entertainment machine. And to see it not running as such, it hardens the heart a bit.

hey..you're talking to someone who managed to get Steve to yell at them for not giving Disney enough "benefit of the doubt"! It's all good! :wave:

I still get bothered sometimes by the fact that it took less than 18 months to build Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom, yet it takes them 6 months to a year to do a refurb on 1 attraction, or 3 years to build a new one. I am constantly reminded of new labor laws that are in place that weren't there in the past AND, as someone else mentioned already....money. These refurbs could easily be done on 30 days if they put the money in to have 3 shifts of 30 guys in each shift working around the clock on them...but there really isn't a point in doing that.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
And do you know that as fact?
Of course not. I am not involved in the construction , nor have I inspected the other buildings.

But that was not your question. You question was, and I quote.

Could all the buildings on Main Street truly be in that bad a shape?
Yes. It is quite possible that they are in that bad of shape. I have seen much newer construction in Florida in such poor condition that a full demolition was needed. I have seen houses that look great from the street revealed to be on the verge of collapse once the siding was stripped off. Given all that, it does not surprise me one bit that a reface and repaint could take that long as you rarely know what you are going to find once you strip that skin back.

To take matters further Disney does not have to go to the lengths that they do to conceal construction. Doing so preserves as much of the magic as possible, but it takes more time and money to do it. I seriously doubt that those huge details scrims come cheep and neither does night labor. If they were to forgo all of that I am sure it would shave some time off the project, but you would then have the Dapper Dan's competing with the sounds of power tools and you would be treated to such sights as this...

4uHarlemScaffolding98e33ec9-f89f-4c07-8618-00f55443d632.jpg

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Of course not. I am not involved in the construction , nor have I inspected the other buildings.

But that was not your question. You question was, and I quote.

Yes. It is quite possible that they are in that bad of shape. I have seen much newer construction in Florida in such poor condition that a full demolition was needed. I have seen houses that look great from the street revealed to be on the verge of collapse once the siding was stripped off. Given all that, it does not surprise me one bit that a reface and repaint could take that long as you rarely know what you are going to find once you strip that skin back.

To take matters further Disney does not have to go to the lengths that they do to conceal construction. Doing so preserves as much of the magic as possible, but it takes more time and money to do it. I seriously doubt that those huge details scrims come cheep and neither does night labor. If they were to forgo all of that I am sure it would shave some time off the project, but you would then have the Dapper Dan's competing with the sounds of power tools and you would be treated to such sights as this...

4uHarlemScaffolding98e33ec9-f89f-4c07-8618-00f55443d632.jpg

But you don't understand. It's much easier to deal in irrational generalizations and call people names when you get frustrated with those who have any indication of a different opinion.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I think my comments may support both sides of this debate. I have been in one faze or another of the construction industry for the better part of thirty five years.
It is true that you can build something quicker from the ground up and it is also true that you really never know what scope of the job will be until you open it up.
Asbestos would probably not be a problem because the Asbestos regulations came before WDW was built ( pretty sure). There is also a lot of constraints doing a project like this because of where it is taking place and the limited access. When you see them build a house on Home Extreme Makeover, why do you think they tear the whole thing down? Much easier to start from scratch.

That said, As those who are in the industry know all it takes is money, anything can be done with enough money. Also you would need the disire to put the resources into getting it done. I personally think that what is happening at the bakery is probably a little of both. There might be some issues with the refurb and that Disney has a beauacracy (sp*) that dosnt allow the job to be expedited quicky.

I think Kidds frustration is warranted, if directed toward mangement. His experience as far as he is concerned effected greatly because of the prolonged construction ongoing with the bakery. SOme of you might not be bothered. I havnt seen it yet myself. Going in January.
Yes and no. The biggest problem with Main St in particular is guests and what you are willing to expose them to. If this was an attraction in a far off corner you could simply wall it off and work 24/7. That option really is not there on Main St. Now if Disney did not care, they could shut the shop down, wall it off and just tell guests to suck it up and deal with it but we know that is not really an option.

captainkidd

But you don't understand. It's much easier to deal in irrational generalizations and call people names when you get frustrated with those who have any indication of a different opinion.

I didn't call anyone any names.
You really can't see the hypocrisy of your post?

Wow.

captainkidd

Yes and no. The biggest problem with Main St in particular is guests and what you are willing to expose them to. If this was an attraction in a far off corner you could simply wall it off and work 24/7. That option really is not there on Main St. Now if Disney did not care, they could shut the shop down, wall it off and just tell guests to suck it up and deal with it but we know that is not really an option.

I'll be the 1st to say, as a fan of the Bakery, I'd much prefer it walled off and open, then walled off and closed.

I get what you are saying, but I also tend to agree with what the previous poster is saying. With money, you can do anything. No one said this is a job they need to do during park hours. They could do the work overnight if they really wanted to. In fact, for years, that's when projects were done, and they got done much faster. The only reason I can guess at for the change is that it is cheaper to pay workers during the day as opposed to overnight.

Buried20KLeague

I mentioned this much earlier in the thread, but it's been lost in the shuffle, so I'm gonna post it again. Dangit.

I don't think it's coincidence we're seeing this big jump with the roll-out of FP+. I think they've decided that rather than offering it to people as a pay service, they're mandating that EVERYONE pay for it, with no other option.

That would make sense... It's the fastest way to recoup a big portion of the 2 billion investment... It would take a whole heck of a lot longer to get that back if it was optional, or only offered to certain guests.

To me, it's the only thing that makes sense. The hike isn't tied to new attractions and experiences (obviously), but rather to new costs that WDW is about to incur due to FP+.

Then next year, there will be ANOTHER large jump to coincide with the FL opening.

If Great Adventure is considered "top tier" they're doing it wrong. That park is a mess, no matter how many rides they try to shove in it every year.

just saying they consider it because of attendance and the money they put in. Obviously its not in the league of Disney, Universal, Busch, Seaworld, or even cedar fair parks when it comes layout, ambiance etc. but those are the 2 parks they see as their "flagships". Sorry for the thread drift.

Back on topic. I dont get why some people cant accept when others have reached their limit on the value they get. Mine was reached a few years ago when I moved down to the orlando area and couldn't for the life me figure out why I would want to go to disney. I used to go 2-3 weeks a year since '87 and am just bored with what Disney currently offers. I still love to go when I can get in for free. But to me, and to those who visit sooo many times i suspect, without anything new its just no longer worth it.

sorry marni 1971 IMHO

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom