WDW Taking a Hit Over Gator and Massacre ...

PhotoDave219

I'm not saying it couldn't have contributed, but there are some who tried to blame the whole problem on the bungalows. The bungalows are really close to the ferries (as you said was commented on by the unofficial guide writers). Large moving boats and loud noises are not the ideal environment for gators. There is no actual evidence that the gator in question or any of the ones caught and destroyed were being fed by guests at the Poly. In the wild gators can travel large distances to find food so it's possible the gator in question was not even a frequent visitor of the 7 seas lagoon. I've personally witnessed people feeding gators at other WDW resorts too. Some Reedy Creek Fire Department workers admitting to feeding gators by their station. It was/is rampant around the whole property, not just at those 20 bungalows.

No, its a contributing factor. It attracted alligators to that side of the lagoon. There's not any one thing that caused this to occur and there's not any one thing you can do to fix it.

Although.... there's three easy things that can be done immediately. 1- Stop feeding the gators (you idiots). 2 - Hotel management & staff taking reports of alligators very seriously and calling in pest management. 3 - Stop feeding the gators, you bloody simple peasant idiots!

kelknight84

No, its a contributing factor. It attracted alligators to that side of the lagoon. There's not any one thing that caused this to occur and there's not any one thing you can do to fix it.

Although.... there's three easy things that can be done immediately. 1- Stop feeding the gators (you idiots). 2 - Hotel management & staff taking reports of alligators very seriously and calling in pest management. 3 - Stop feeding the gators, you bloody simple peasant idiots!
As a former watercraft cm, alligators loved to hang out by the wedding pavilion in 2005/2006 when I worked there. It was quiet and away from most boat traffic. So them being near the GF isn't new.

Also just because a guest reported a gator, unless it was a nuisance and over 4 feet then Disney can't do squat per FL law.

JohnD

Also just because a guest reported a gator, unless it was a nuisance and over 4 feet then Disney can't do squat per FL law.

Maybe not to get the alligator moved but in an abundance of caution they could get guests to move away from the water. Of course that was then. Now they have put up barriers to keep guests away from the water.

betty rose

What a mess. That's still going to be litigation dynamite if another guest is attacked and chooses to sue.
I'm afraid of the snakes. We were chased off by a water moccasin, hiding in the plants, along the concrete path near the adult pool, at Saratoga Springs resort. We were walking along and this snake came out of nowhere, and started after grandson thrashing around, then grandson went to the side, with dd quick thinking, then it came after me, a ran backward's as fast as I could, yelling snake. It was still thrashing around and going after hubby, he moved away. I lived on a farm, and knew my snakes from the eastern and mid western US. This happened in June, I will now carry something to see at night, and something to repel snakes. Once is enough for us!

betty rose

I think it's WDW price that is more creating a down year. It's getting quite pricey to stay at a delixe for a week with s family. Also it's summer. And a hot one at that. People aren't as intrigued to sit in lines when it's 95 degrees with 90% humidity. I don't think the gator incident made too much of a difference. Atleast not significant enough to point to that.
I'm not so sure. I don't want to visit the Grand Floridian. Too many bad memories for me. I will for ever see the sweet face of this innocent little boy, for ever. I'm a grandmother of two boy's and we watched the fireworks on the sand when they were little. We didn't let them in the water, but I would not be able to go there without that memory.

Aqueeta

Gosh, how is WDW gonna survive without gouging their loyal patrons $60 a head at CRT or $500 a night at the Poly!! What thieves and I hope the gator, the radical and the mosquito make them pay for this extortion.

TeriofTerror

I'm afraid of the snakes. We were chased off by a water moccasin, hiding in the plants, along the concrete path near the adult pool, at Saratoga Springs resort. We were walking along and this snake came out of nowhere, and started after grandson thrashing around, then grandson went to the side, with dd quick thinking, then it came after me, a ran backward's as fast as I could, yelling snake. It was still thrashing around and going after hubby, he moved away. I lived on a farm, and knew my snakes from the eastern and mid western US. This happened in June, I will now carry something to see at night, and something to repel snakes. Once is enough for us!
I am with you 100%. The statistics I've found state that 7,000–8,000 people per year receive venomous snake bites in the United States. The number of alligator attacks isn't even remotely close.

21stamps

The CDC has already declared the outbreak the "most difficult" public health emergency in the administration's history.

I'm curious why you see things differently.
Because it's not in Orlando. Also, it's only a serious concern if you're pregnant/trying to become pregnant. People, plenty of people, are still cruising.. To actual places that have Zika, they're taking the necessary precautions.. Or one of them anyway. Wear repellent. The thing is, you should already be doing this, there are plenty of other mosquito carrying diseases that are worse- to non pregnant/family planning people.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
The CDC has already declared the outbreak the "most difficult" public health emergency in the administration's history.

I'm curious why you see things differently.
There is a difference between giving people the facts to make an informed decision on what precautions/action to take and screaming YOU WILL GET ZIKA AT DISNEYWORLD every five minutes like some people on here.
Yes its a serious issue but so are a load of other diseases spread by mossies so yoi should already be taking precautions.

AEfx

Good post. I think a contibuting factor was also complacency or a false sense of security. The conditions have been roughly the same for many years and there were very infrequent issues. Because of that, CMs, management and guests failed to respect the danger that these animals can pose. It wasn't that long ago that WDW allowed swimming in the lakes. I don't think the company viewed these gators as a real threat to guests. Obviously, that is now changed and they will take plenty of steps to make the areas more safe. Your point about generations of gators getting more comfortable with humans is a really good one. The only way to really keep the gators out is to stop feeding them. They go where the food is and those lakes by WDW are not the ideal setting for natural hunting.

You know, the more I think about it - the more I shake my head at what they did all those decades ago.

Nothing really went right with the Lagoon, when you look at the original intentions. They really did think that by flooding that swamp they would be able to create their own artificial paradise that would seamlessly connect to actual naturally occurring and existing eco-systems.

You are right - originally, they allowed swimming. Until they discovered the deadly brain-eating bacteria. They also intended it for fishing - they stocked it with fish, and at different times allowed fishing (though I don't know why this was scratched - anyone?). Then we can't forget the nearly mythical (but very real) wave machine, intended for surfing and such, which they had to shut down because apparently no one heard of beach erosion (or didn't realize how a fake beach would be especially susceptible to it).

So all of this just so the MK can now have a 14' deep moat around the front of it.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if long term planning is looking at somehow enclosing at least parts of it and making a real fake waterway, or something else which seems unthinkable (drain and pave?) but really, long term, is probably going to have to be done sooner or later.

AEfx

The Statewide Nuisance Alligator Program (SNAP) is administered by the FWC's Division of Hunting and Game Management. SNAP is one of five components of Florida’s comprehensive Alligator Management Program. Its mission is to address complaints concerning alligators.

Persons with concerns about an alligator may call our toll-free Nuisance Alligator Hotline at 866-FWC-GATOR (866-392-4286). Generally, an alligator may be deemed a nuisance if it is at least four feet in length and the caller believes it poses a threat to people, pets or property.

SNAP uses contracted nuisance alligator trappers throughout the state to remove alligators from locations where they are unwanted or unwelcome. If a complaint meets the qualifying criteria, SNAP will issue a permit to a contracted nuisance alligator trapper authorizing the removal of the animal.

Complainants must be able to grant legal access to the property on which the alligator is located. SNAP does not permit the removal of nuisance alligators from private or publicly managed property without first obtaining permission from the property owner or management authority.

What is a nuisance alligator?

Generally, an alligator may be considered a nuisance if it is at least four feet in length and is believed to pose a threat to people, pets or property.

Why aren’t small alligators removed?
Alligators less than 4 feet in length are not large enough to be dangerous unless handled. They eat fish, frogs and other small animals. Typically, they are not large enough to be a threat even to small pets. The mere presence of a small alligator is not cause for concern.

Something tells me they may need to update that, since apparently it was a small gator that was involved - the supposedly "safe" 4' who won't attack was the lower end of the estimate scale of the one that attacked. Unless they expect folks to go up to it with a measuring stick, they best think about that dismissive wording.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom