WDW Taking a Hit Over Gator and Massacre ...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
(emphasis added). It doesn't mean that Disney had 'intent' to put people in harm's way (surely they do not)....it's that Disney was creating a set of conditions (including offering the movie) that put people at risk, without warning of that risk via signs or verbal warnings. There were reports of alligators in the vicinity preceding the movie time...if it's alligator mating season, then it is a dangerous time compared to other times of the year.

ETA: I understand your point of view, I have to move on to other things and it's probably better if I let it go at this point.
I think we are mostly saying the same thing. I agree that Disney created an "unsafe" environment for its guests by not properly warning people of the dangers. Those dangers were even greater in the early evening or at night when gators are more active and harder to spot (they are pretty darn hard to spot during the day, near impossible at dusk or in the dark). I believe Disney addressed these issues with the added signs and barriers. The gators and lack of warning was the issue, not having guests lured to the lakefront area at night for a movie and campfire. There is no reason to stop having the movies at night at those resorts.

21stamps

OK. I consider the term "lure" to mean something that is offered to get you to do something else that usually results in a profit. Free dining gets me to book a trip to WDW where I pay for park tickets and a full rack rate hotel room. I don't see the free movie on the beach as a lure because it's just a free movie, unless you think the free movie was a primary reason that people come to WDW and/or stayed at GF. For me it's more like getting chocolates on my pillow at turn down. A nice little bonus, but not at all a reason to pick a certain hotel or destination. I guess it doesn't really matter either way. Just clarifying my way of looking at it.
There is a "simple definition" and then there is how the word is actually used. Anyway, just wanted to copy and paste this, don't want to disrupt the convo though...
Synonym Discussion of lure
lure, entice, inveigle, decoy, tempt, seduce mean to lead astray from one's true course. lure implies a drawing into danger, evil, or difficulty through attracting and deceiving <lured naive investors with get-rich-quick schemes>. entice suggests drawing by artful or adroit means <advertising designed to entice new customers>. inveigle implies enticing by cajoling or flattering <fund-raisers inveigling wealthy alumni>. decoy implies a luring into entrapment by artifice <attempting to decoy the enemy into an ambush>. tempt implies the presenting of an attraction so strong that it overcomes the restraints of conscience or better judgment <tempted by the offer of money>.seduce implies a leading astray by persuasion or false promises <seduced by assurances of assistance>.

SorcererMC

I think we are mostly saying the same thing. I agree that Disney created an "unsafe" environment for its guests by not properly warning people of the dangers. Those dangers were even greater in the early evening or at night when gators are more active and harder to spot (they are pretty darn hard to spot during the day, near impossible at dusk or in the dark). I believe Disney addressed these issues with the added signs and barriers. The gators and lack of warning was the issue, not having guests lured to the lakefront area at night for a movie and campfire. There is no reason to stop having the movies at night at those resorts.
Agreed. Thank you for clarifying. I'm starting to feel like I'm repeating myself with this subject (which is tiresome for everyone, including me) and I was trying to be polite about exiting the conversation.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom