WDW Taking a Hit Over Gator and Massacre ...

Donaldfan1934

So in the thread devoted to tracking changes being made in the wake of this, it looks like the crocs have been removed from Living With the Land now. I'm sorry, this is absurd. In all seriousness, is Alligator Bayou at Riverside going to be overhauled? Gator-themed signs all over the place.
Does anyone in the know here have any idea when they'll comw back? I assume it'll be most of the summer now.

Last edited:

tirian

So in the thread devoted to tracking changes being made in the wake of this, it looks like the crocs have been removed from Living With the Land now. I'm sorry, this is absurd. In all seriousness, is Alligator Bayou at Riverside going to be overhauled? Gator-themed signs all over the place.
They've been gone for a couple of months for refurb.

techgeek

Interesting to note the mention of drownings. I have been to River Country, and the water at the landing area of Whoop n' Holler Slide was over my head (or my nose) - I definitely had to swim at the bottom. I had to tread water while waiting for my daughter - she knew how to swim, but I was concerned that she might have a moment of panic when she realized it was way over her head. The water in that area was lake water - the typical dark brown of Florida water - so it would be hard to see anyone under the water.

I don't recall if there was a lifeguard at the bottom of the slide.

In 1983, at least, there was a lifeguard.

I remember quite clearly because it was my first visit to the World, and as a 8yo boy I was all about water slides. I could swim and had no problems, but my mother who came down behind me quickly found herself in deep water and couldn't touch the bottom. Even though she could swim, she had a moment of panic that knocked the breath out of her because she was expecting it to be much shallower (the story goes that it was marked on a sign somewhere the depth of 5ft which was clearly in error, but who knows now.) As a kid it was a little un-nerving to watch your mother get rescued from water she shouldn't have had a problem with.

Of course, we never knew or heard anything about deaths at River Country back in those days. I remember first hearing about the amoebas sometime in the 90s from a death in an un-related Central FL lake, but even then the story was never linked to RC's history. It wasn't till the park closed for good that all of a sudden the Internet seemingly decided it was the main threat in that water, 20 years of operation after the incident.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So he does know that Gators are not social animals and don't "work" in teams for food? How can he now say, oh it was 2 alligators? Wouldn't that have been a small detail that would have come out at the beginning of this?
It did come out in the beginning. We are just hearing about it now because they released more info to the public, but the father told authorities his story on the way to the hospital. He hasn't spoken about the incident publiclily since it happened so as far as I know his story has not changed. I really don't see what incentive he would have to make that up either. I guess it is possible that in his shock and confusion that he perceived that there was more than 1 gator when it was just the 1 who attacked his son.

The Mom

Premium Member
So he does know that Gators are not social animals and don't "work" in teams for food? How can he now say, oh it was 2 alligators? Wouldn't that have been a small detail that would have come out at the beginning of this?

If they have been fed by humans it can change their normal behavior. And although they may not hunt in packs, it is not uncommon for gators to gather at a food source to join in.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It did come out in the beginning. We are just hearing about it now because they released more info to the public, but the father told authorities his story on the way to the hospital. He hasn't spoken about the incident publiclily since it happened so as far as I know his story has not changed. I really don't see what incentive he would have to make that up either. I guess it is possible that in his shock and confusion that he perceived that there was more than 1 gator when it was just the 1 who attacked his son.

Or he told the police that... And they determined it was not credible enough. Why would the police know that, and the fwc, and then sit on that ONE detail? They would have interviewed him many times. It's not a detail that could have been missed if he was consistent with his story.

Just because the father says it... Doesn't make it true. It's just his interpretation of what he thought happened.

And afaik the father was never bit, he was just injured in struggling with the gator

The Mom

Premium Member
Thats more disturbing than anything else thats occurred.
Sorry Dave, I've got to disagree. I would much prefer a live son who was groped (or worse) by someone than a dead son killed by a gator. Both are terrible, but a son (or daughter) can be returned to you over time with love and counseling, even if damaged. The other is a permanent loss that will leave you with pain forever.

I hope you mean disturbing in the sense that humans can purposely do such a things to a child, rather than a wild animal with no reasoning capacity - not in how it affects a parent.

Filby61

I guess it is possible that in his shock and confusion that he perceived that there was more than 1 gator when it was just the 1 who attacked his son.

Given the hundreds of posts in the days after the attack that attempted to diminish Disney's responsibility for the death of the boy, it's no surprise that people predisposed to defending Disney are likely to think the father was so "shocked and confused" that he hallucinated a 2nd gator -- ignoring the fact that the report states:

Sheriff's Office spokesman Angelo Nieves told the Orlando Sentinel Sunday that during initial interviews, a witness also said "he saw a second gator attack the father" as he was fighting with the first one that had his son.

But by all means, please, do continue. It'll be fascinating to see the rationales put forward to discount the witness. (Hint: shouldn't be too difficult, the pro-Disney folks at the Sentinel opened a door in that direction for you in the story.)

Last edited:

natatomic

Honestly, what does it matter if it was one gator or two? This isn't the JFK assassination. There's not gonna be any gators to stand trial. And between the fences and signs, even if that particular gator (or two) is still alive and free, what are the odds it could even attack a person on Disney property now? I know they can climb fences, but that's not exactly their preferred method of hunting.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Given the hundreds of posts in the days after the attack that attempted to diminish Disney's responsibility for the death of the boy, it's no surprise that people pre-disposed to defending Disney are likely to think the father was so "shocked and confused" that he hallucinated a 2nd gator -- ignoring the fact that the report states:

Sheriff's Office spokesman Angelo Nieves told the Orlando Sentinel Sunday that during initial interviews, a witness also said "he saw a second gator attack the father" as he was fighting with the first one that had his son.

But by all means, please, do continue. It'll be fascinating to see the rationales put forward to discount the witness. (Hint: shouldn't be too difficult, the pro-Disney folks at the Sentinel opened a door in that direction for you in the story.)
Relax. Nothing in what I posted was pre-disposed to defending Disney. Instead of picking one sentence from my post and attempting to put words in my mouth read the whole post.
I stand by every word of what I said. There's no reason for me to believe the father's story has changed or that he would make anything up. It is still possible that he was confused and thought there were 2 gators when it was just 1. I don't really see how it makes any difference.

PhotoDave219

Sorry Dave, I've got to disagree. I would much prefer a live son who was groped (or worse) by someone than a dead son killed by a gator. Both are terrible, but a son (or daughter) can be returned to you over time with love and counseling, even if damaged. The other is a permanent loss that will leave you with pain forever.

I hope you mean disturbing in the sense that humans can purposely do such a things to a child, rather than a wild animal with no reasoning capacity - not in how it affects a parent.

Yes, thats what i meant. People can make the conscious choice to not do these things whereas a jurassic creature that survived a mass extinction just does what he wants.

SorcererMC

Boy, when it rains, it pours. More bad news from the WDW resort. :(

I do not want to minimize this story...but at the same time, I could swear that an incident like this occurs and is in the news at least once every summer. If anything, I hope there is more awareness on the part of parents w/ their kids, to not let down their guard just b/c they are at Disney, and good on these parents for reporting it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom