WDW Spirited Quickees

M.rudolf

That's about the juiciest crumb dropped here in a long while. Must have more details!
Igers meeting to the pres. to begin relations for filming in New Zealand, they have the largest of all tax breaks and they have a built in trained community that won't be in use much after the hobbit filming, now if he was meeting with the Tolkien estate we might be on to something. If the estate honors JRR's wishes Disney won't have anything to do with LOTR, but new line was technically a Disney subsidiary when the LOTR was filmed

nytimez

I'm not a fan of Iger as Disney CEO and certainly no fan of how the parks have languished under his rule -- but I worked in TV long enough to cross paths with many of the people who worked with him at ABC and never heard any horror stories. Most seemed to like him well enough and get along fairly well with him.

Willow is another story.

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
Eisner had a chance to take the LOTR films and turned it down because he didn't want anymore blockbuster flops. Would be interesting if it turned around and Iger repositioned LOTR with Disney.

djlaosc

It's a separate legislation, created by the Disney Lobbyists (which they were allowed to do via the state legislators), and they are trying to get the public to subsidize the plans for the Splitsville on Disney property.

The article posted above doesn't name the Bowling Complex as Splitsville at DTD (which would probably be funded by Splitsville themselves) - could this be for the long awaited 100 lane bowling complex at ESPN WWOS that would be used for both professional tournaments, as well as for vacationers?

janoimagine

The article posted above doesn't name the Bowling Complex as Splitsville at DTD (which would probably be funded by Splitsville themselves) - could this be for the long awaited 100 lane bowling complex at ESPN WWOS that would be used for both professional tournaments, as well as for vacationers?
I doubt they would call out the establishment by name in the legislation ... but the timing is very curious and the length of time it has taken to build the place only adds more ... speculation.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Why would that be? My point was that if people hear "100 dollars every day per person" (many do) rather than the actual "100 dollars for one day" admission...that's telling a family of four you are going to have to fork over 400 dollars per day for admission alone. I fail to see how they would see that as a better deal if they assume they are paying the same price everyday. Obviously how the pricing structure really is, it does turn out to be better to stay longer. It's just that many people don't know it...I can't tell you how many people have asked me why I'd pay that price every day when there are cheaper alternatives
Most people that I know who visit WDW do so with a package deal. I'm not talking about the people on this board, but the families who go one time or occasionally. They get a package that includes free dining in some cases and park tickets along with their room. They have no idea how much a single day park ticket went up from last year. When Disney sells them the package they say if you book 7 nights in a room with us and buy a magic your way park ticket we will throw in free meals. They will tell you that your 7 day ticket averages a cost of $41 per day which is over a 50% savings from the regular price of $89. Then they will tell you that free dining would cost your family of 4 over $1,000 for the week. Most people feel like they are getting a great deal when booking this way since the park tickets are half price and the meals are free. They don't realize that the room rate is much higher to make up for it.

My point is when tickets go over $100 a day the 7 day ticket will still be a significant discount and people will feel like they are getting an even better deal. This is similar to how a department store will mark up their jewelry 300% and then put it on sale for 50% off. That $100 pair of earrings is marked up to $300 and then on sale for 50% off at $150. If they jack the original price up to $450 and then put the earrings on sale for $150 people think they are getting an even better deal.

djlaosc

I doubt they would call out the establishment by name in the legislation ... but the timing is very curious and the length of time it has taken to build the place only adds more ... speculation.

I agree that they wouldn't name Splitsville in the legislation, and it does seem like it is taking longer for them to build than they thought, but I would think that they would have more success getting funded for a bowling complex for ESPN WWOS than for Splitsville at DTD, due to it being used for professional tournaments, etc. And this article from January states that they were looking for tax breaks to help fund it.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/the-daily-disney/os-disney-isc-tax-breaks-20120114,0,528973.story

Orlando Sentinel said:
Representatives for Disney and ISC called the proposal an economic-development tool that would give them and other companies added incentive to build sports-tourism facilities, which ultimately could draw more visitors to Florida. Both companies noted that the legislation they have written obligates them to spend millions of dollars on construction before they realize any tax savings.

Disney said the incentives would help revive plans for a 100-lane bowling stadium on its property that were first announced nearly four years ago but which stalled when the developer was unable to obtain financing.

c-one

I think that it may have been me that brought up the potential closure of Astro Orbiter.

First of all, that was just a guess responding to Lee's post about saying that a building near the former site of the Tomorrowland Theater would possibly be demolished for this possible (but unlikely) expansion. It is most likely not going anywhere - and I would hope that it is going nowhere.

When I was suggesting that the Astro Orbiter could go, I wasn't meaning that something new would be going up there - I was thinking that Astro Orbiter/TTAP/The Lunching Pad would all be going (although I guess that they could create a tunnel to walk through if they built from the former theater site, over the pathway and continued building on to of The Lunching Pad.
Okay, that makes a bit more sense ... the placement of Rocket Tower Plaza makes it seem an unlikely candidate for demolition, though. That would really alter/congest traffic patterns in an already congested part of the park.

Huh, wasn't aware that the WWOS bowling lanes would be for vacationers too. Two competing bowling alleys on property seems... odd. I'm a Walter Sobchak-level bowler here but I didn't see that demand coming.

Cosmic Commando

It's a separate legislation, created by the Disney Lobbyists (which they were allowed to do via the state legislators), and they are trying to get the public to subsidize the plans for the Splitsville on Disney property.
Do you know specifically that this is Splitsville? I believe the exact quote was "giant bowling complex", which sounds more like the one for WWoS that was supposed to bring in tournaments. That's the kind of thing you get tax breaks for, not a nightclub/bowling alley that's already under construction. I think one of the requirements for many tax breaks around here is that the project wouldn't be financially viable without them, which is harder to argue when you've already started construction. I could be wrong, of course.

Edit: Just realized my post is superfluous. That's what I get for responding before reading the whole thread! :oops:

RandySavage

but new line was technically a Disney subsidiary when the LOTR was filmed
New Line was a TimeWarner, as opposed to Dis, subsid at LotR filming and is now folded into Warner Bros.. I saw site plan for Universal Studios Asia (proposed, never-built park) which had a LOTR show. Not to say Disney couldn't buy the rights.

M.rudolf

New Line was a TimeWarner, as opposed to Dis, subsid at LotR filming and is now folded into Warner Bros.. Universal Studios Shanghai (proposed, cancelled park) had a LOTR show as part of the plan. Not to say Disney couldn't buy the rights.
Sorry I was originally thinking of miramax

RandySavage

^ I thought you may have. I think I recall reading that at one point the Weinsteins(Miramax) entertained the idea of a 2-film LotR by Peter Jackson before New Line took him up.

M.rudolf

^ I thought you may have. I think I recall reading that at one point the Weinsteins(Miramax) entertained the idea of a 2-film LotR by Peter Jackson before New Line took him up.
You are correct and then new line bought the rights when they went into turn around

bubbles1812

You are correct and then new line bought the rights when they went into turn around

And I am so thankful it did end up in turn around... can you imagine what the story would have been like if they'd done it in 2 movies :eek::eek::eek:. If you think that enough was changed from the books to the movies with the ones made by New Line, you should have seen the story outlines for the 2 movies. They axed out so many characters and places it wasn't even funny.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
New Line was a TimeWarner, as opposed to Dis, subsid at LotR filming and is now folded into Warner Bros.. I saw site plan for Universal Studios Asia (proposed, never-built park) which had a LOTR show. Not to say Disney couldn't buy the rights.

Where was this "Universal Studios Asia" park supposed to be? I mean they have Osaka, Singapore and then Korea being built currently...what else screams "Asia" unless it would be in China?

djlaosc

Okay, that makes a bit more sense ... the placement of Rocket Tower Plaza makes it seem an unlikely candidate for demolition, though. That would really alter/congest traffic patterns in an already congested part of the park.

Yeah, I was just listing it to try to cover all of the buildings that were in the area - I wasn't seriously expecting that it would be the building that would be removed, for the reason that we have both stated - it removes a pathway, and would hide CoP

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom