WDW - Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated. – My August 2011 Trip Report

WDW - Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated. – An August 2011 Trip Report

Welcome to my trip report! First, about the title. Reading the WDW boards lately one would think that Disney World was coming apart at the seams; Overrun by vicious gangs of Brazilian tour groups, Pop Warner boys and cheerleaders. Filled with broken down, outdated rides run by snarly cast members. The resorts infested by bedbugs, nasty housekeepers, and moldy shower curtains. The Restaurants serving up Dogfood burgers and steaks served with the leather hides still attached. The fireworks shows reduced to open fire pits and a few boxes of sparklers.

To be totally honest and sarcasm aside (kinda), I was really getting concerned about this trip. I had gone to great lengths and compromise ( see my Pre-trip report) to make this trip a reality. Now I was worried that once my family would see first hand the crumbling vestige that was once our favorite place on earth; this would seal this trip’s fate as our last one to the World. Well, I’m happy to say, with photos as proof – the rumors of Walt Disney World’s demise have been greatly exaggerated.

First Day and intro to our family;

Our countdown was over. The paper chain in Toni’s room that started at day 178 was now down to day zero. It was 4 in the morning on August 6th and I woke up Toni and we tore up that last chain and started to get ready for our trip. By 4:30, Toni and her brother Sterg, were ready and waiting.

001-XL.jpg

I have a good friend that happens to own a limo business, so we hired him to drive us to Philadelphia International. The limo came at 5:00am. This is my wife Val and my oldest child, Alexandra, getting spoiled in the limo.

DSC01283-XL.jpg

Sterg and I on the other seat…

DSC01284-XL.jpg

While Toni caught a few z’s.

DSC01282-XL.jpg

Everything was going fine. We were making great time on the Turnpike until we were detoured off of it an exit too soon. Unfortunately, this was only the first of our several delays that morning.

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
Pumba,Timba and Simba arrived and the show was on!

DSC02368-XL.jpg

813-XL.jpg

Festival of the Lion King is the best show on property. Toni loved it and so did I (again).

How can you go wrong with monkey tumblers, flame dancers and acrobats dressed as beautiful birds?

DSC02373-XL.jpg

816-L.jpg

DSC02378-XL.jpg

DSC02379-XL.jpg

This was Toni's favorite part. It is so well done and impressive.

824-XL.jpg

DSC02383-XL.jpg

DSC02384-XL.jpg

Last edited:

cfry06

SO sad it's your last full day in the World! Your report has been so entertaining. Have found myself laughing out loud multiple times. :lol:

Now onto Cali Grill...we ate there last trip and I was so disappointed. Even more so B/C I had been looking forward to the meal more than anything. We ran into a case of bad service (and I'm really not picky on vacay!!), s l o w service, and cold food!! But your report has convinced me to go back. Happy your fam-o had a great time. :sohappy:

ProjectGemini

Loving the TR so far....especially the California Grill, Bloody heel story. That one hits home, as I recently spent a day at Disneyland trying with 100% futility to try and stick band-aids to my feet to ease the wrath of new shoes.

mickeysshoes

I just love the tumble monkeys!! Well love the entire show and very sad I did not get the chance to see this past trip...guess that just means I will have to go back!!!:D

PolynesianPrincess

FOTLK is my favorite show on property as well. There's always just so much to look at.. I love to look and see Simba's reaction because it always goes right with whatever is taking place. It's great!!

So glad you guys liked Cali Grill. That is the one place I want to eat in the spring (that and Le Cellier of course) so I'm glad to hear y'all had a positive experience there! That makes me look forward to it even more!! :)

fractal

Original Poster
I always debate bringing my camera to the water parks. I am perfectly comfortable hiding it under a towel on our chairs, but my dh is, shall we say, not as comfortable with that. :lol:

I do enjoy having the waterproof camera with me. The pictures aren't anywhere near as good, but it's still fun to use. I bought it for snorkeling on a cruise a few years ago and I definitely use it!

Can't wait for more!

I did bring a disposable water proof camera that day and took two terrible pictures.

That's too bad you couldn't get their as a family. Thank goodness for your youngest. Can't wait for more. Hoping your malfunction wasn't too bad.

Thanks. Hopefully we do a family water park day next time. :) Another reason to go again!

Too funny! I was thinking the same thing as I was reading! Loving the report and can't wait for more.

I was a carpenter without his tools, as well as a cluless father. :)

Oh no! :( Not of to a good start but I hope dinner and cocktails eased the stress of rushing to the Cali Grill and the pain of your blisters!

Drinks helped ease the pain from the missing chunks of skin. :)

:lol: You threw your shoes away! That cracks me up! I guess I understand though. I have been tempted to walk barefoot through the parks before when my shoes weren't cooperating. It's that feeling that cutting your feet off may actually feel better than leaving them on.

I'm glad you had fun at California Grill! However it happened!:)

Val was yelling at me when I threw them away. I told her she could take them out of the trash but I will never wear them again.

Thanks!

Totally enjoying your report - I keep laughing out loud in my office and people are starting to wonder! :ROFLOL:

Love your positive spin on the trip...sometimes reports get bogged down in all the complaints and negativity. Your kids crack me up...the commentary is priceless!

Looking forward to the rest...thanks for sharing!

Thanks! When life gives you lemons make lemonade. Or drink heavily. :)

fractal

Original Poster
Great pictures of FotLK... One of my favorite shows in WDW and one I never miss.. along with Finding Nemo: The Musical...

Thanks! I have yet to see Nemo. Next trip! :)

SO sad it's your last full day in the World! Your report has been so entertaining. Have found myself laughing out loud multiple times. :lol:

Now onto Cali Grill...we ate there last trip and I was so disappointed. Even more so B/C I had been looking forward to the meal more than anything. We ran into a case of bad service (and I'm really not picky on vacay!!), s l o w service, and cold food!! But your report has convinced me to go back. Happy your fam-o had a great time. :sohappy:

Thanks! I would have definitely sent the cold food back - no excuse for that. I hope you have a better time. If not, just have more drinks! :)

Loving the TR so far....especially the California Grill, Bloody heel story. That one hits home, as I recently spent a day at Disneyland trying with 100% futility to try and stick band-aids to my feet to ease the wrath of new shoes.

The nice thing about my Croc flip flops is they don't remove chunks of skin from my feet! Thanks for following along.

I just love the tumble monkeys!! Well love the entire show and very sad I did not get the chance to see this past trip...guess that just means I will have to go back!!!:D

I think that's a reasonable justification for another trip!

FOTLK is my favorite show on property as well. There's always just so much to look at.. I love to look and see Simba's reaction because it always goes right with whatever is taking place. It's great!!

So glad you guys liked Cali Grill. That is the one place I want to eat in the spring (that and Le Cellier of course) so I'm glad to hear y'all had a positive experience there! That makes me look forward to it even more!! :)

We loved it - and I'm glad I took Toni to see it ahead of us going to see Lion King 3D yesterday.

Disclaimer - My family loved Cali Grill - I honestly can't tell you how good or bad my food was. :)

TheMouseFan

I also love Festival of the Lion King. I can't wait to take the kids and my parents to see it for the first time in 22 days!!

I have really enjoyed reading your report and am sad that it is coming to an end.

fractal

Original Poster
The performance of the music in FoTLK is inspiring in a way that makes you keep humming the songs after the show.

The Circle of Life...

834-XL.jpg

After the show, we strolled into Pizzafari singing Hakuna Matata. It was almost empty and a nice break from the heat.

DSC02394-XL.jpg

I ordered the chicken caesar salad and Toni had the kid's pizza. I've heard mixed review of Pizzari but we enjoyed our food. We decided to call the other part of the family to see when they were going to meet up with us.

"We are going to Typhoon Lagoon" Sterg said.

"Really?" I answered disappointingly.

"Yeah, it's really hot out so we wanted to go to a water park". he added.

"and you can spend more time with the little princess"

That last comment bothered me. Sterg has recently become jealous of Toni and her relationship with me. Sterg and I have always been close and spent a lot of time together when he was younger. Now that he is getting older, he isn't as interested in hanging out with Dad as he was before. I also no longer coach him in sports, which is less time together. Deep down he realizes I spend as much time with Toni ( maybe less ) than I did with him when he was 9. I try to tell myself his jealous comments reflect the fact that he misses our time together.

Toni and I now had a few more hours on our own. After lunch we made our way over to the "dark continent".

DSC02397-XL.jpg

Will we embark on another Safari adventure...

844-XL.jpg

or explore the mysterious Pangani Forest?

DSC02405-XL.jpg

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
We decided to take the path less traveled. In our case, this was the first time down Pangani Forest trail. This ominous looking sign greeted us.

DSC02410-XL.jpg

As we journeyed into the forest we caught glimpses of monkeys and the shy Okapi. We then entered a small research building. A large cross section of a naked mole rat community covered the far wall ( I thought all rats were naked?). These hairless, blind creatures were fun to watch. Toads, snakes, lizards and other smaller animals filled the various tanks in the room, accompanied by Cast Members eager to teach and answer questions.

On a themed desk was a computer monitor made to look like an old radio one may expect to find on a vintage Safari trip. You wore headphones and could choose to hear the sounds of various animals. Here Toni was listening to an Africa fly - which sounds very much like the flies in Pennsylvania. We held up the line a bit on this one.

DSC02412-XL.jpg

Leaving the research building we entered a large "bird room". Various birds flew overhead, skipped on the ground or "chilled" in the trees. There were also small fish viewable in ponds and tanks. It was very cool.

I just missed this little guy bathing in the water.

DSC02413-XL.jpg

Strange looking "duck". I wonder what kind.

DSC02421-XL.jpg

"I know!" Toni said.

DSC02423-XL.jpg

Now this is a fish tank!

855-XL.jpg

More "fishies".

DSC02419-XL.jpg

I got this guy on the way out...

DSC02417-XL.jpg

Last edited:

erstwo

I totally agree! I hope your job requires you to do some form of writing, because you have a gift for narration!

That part about your skinny pants and nearly falling over to get to your son when he mocked you? Hysterical! :D

ETA - Oh! And thanks for the detailed report about the Living Seas tour. It's really something my family would enjoy and it's nice to read an account of someone who's been there/ done that!

fractal

Original Poster
Another area with a huge water tank was next. The tank was home to hippos, but they did a good job of hiding. Not much to take a picture of - we moved on looking for something more exciting.

Another observation area over-looking a savanna type area. I liked the ceiling.

DSC02425-XL.jpg

Toni enjoyed the "telescope". She claims to have seen some antelopes and "timons" - but I didn't see any with my eyes or the camera's.

DSC02431-XL.jpg

Deeper we traveled down the trail, still looking for something more exciting.
We entered another "research" building to find this.

A family of gorillas!

Mama -

DSC02435-XL.jpg

1 year-old "baby" Lilly.

DSC02438-XL.jpg

and their version of "Big Pops"

DSC02441-XL.jpg

Here's a neat story on Lilly's birth and some early struggles...

http://www.yourhighwayinthesky.com/2011/08/baby-gorilla-lilly-meeting-developmental-marks/

We left the research center, heading for the outside "observation" area.

DSC02443-XL.jpg

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
Now outside, we made our way through the gorilla viewing area and found ourselves on a suspended bridge with some great views!

More gorillas!

DSC02448-XL.jpg

Mr. Silverback...

DSC02449-XL.jpg

This was certainly exciting! As we made our way out of the trail Toni said to me " That was more fun than I thought it would be. Disney has everything; even gorillas!"

"Yep. Even gorillas!" I replied.

We headed back towards the Tree of Life.

A shot of Everest and after some "processing".

841-XL.jpg

Making our way through Animal Kingdom -

DSC02395-XL.jpg

We kept going until we hit Dinoland. Toni wanted to challenge Dinosaur again - this time with eyes open the entire ride. :eek:

879-XL.jpg

Last edited:

vhuseman

Wonderful pictures.
I know you wanted more family time. But you made some wonderful memories with Toni she'll remember this trip forever.

fractal

Original Poster
I also love Festival of the Lion King. I can't wait to take the kids and my parents to see it for the first time in 22 days!!

I have really enjoyed reading your report and am sad that it is coming to an end.

It will be here before you know it. October seems like a great time to go.

Thanks! Yep, almost done. Now I can sit back and enjoy everybody else's! :)

Just another reason to go back... Shhh, don't tell your wife I said that... :)

I'll buy that! :)

I totally agree! I hope your job requires you to do some form of writing, because you have a gift for narration!

That part about your skinny pants and nearly falling over to get to your son when he mocked you? Hysterical! :D

ETA - Oh! And thanks for the detailed report about the Living Seas tour. It's really something my family would enjoy and it's nice to read an account of someone who's been there/ done that!

Thanks! Not much writing here - a lot of talking though. :) I appreciate the compliment. Seas Aqua Tour was well worth it for us - I highly recommend it.

fractal

Original Poster
*sigh* I love me some lion king:)

I took the kids to see LK3D on Wednesday. Toni wants to see it again!

Wonderful pictures.
I know you wanted more family time. But you made some wonderful memories with Toni she'll remember this trip forever.

Thanks! I think you're right. Toni keeps talking about the trip and can't wait to go back. The teenagers also want to go back and are excited about the Avatar news.

WDW_Princess24

You got some really great pics in AK!! I've never seen FOTLK before but I always say I want to..I should really go huh?

Pizzafari is always a good choice! Even when it's crowded they move the lines very quickly in there!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom