News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I have graphs (don't I have graphs for everything? ;)) but, roughly speaking, WDW price increases have outpaced income by about a 2-to-1 margin since 2000.

In the 1990s, the two tracked reasonably close.

Percentage wise, WDW's biggest price increases occurred in the late 1980s when Eisner and Wells first took over.

Some recent price increases are approaching these numbers.

Disney is taking advantage of strong consumer confidence.

We'll see big discounts when the economy takes a tumble, but these discounts will be after years of big price increases. Adjusted for income/inflation, we probably will never see prices comparable to the early 2000s. :(

All those who would like to eventually see these graphs and the accompanying data behind them posted, say 'Aye'.

AYE!! :)

Interested as to where you went for bad QS meals? Almost every one I have is pretty solid.
One of my colleagues is taking his kids to Universal this week, He gave them the choice of Disney or Universal and they are staying in a suite at Portofino Bay. His kids are 6 and 9 They are going 1 day to AK, Hmm, Disney seems to be losing mindshare where it matters most.
My son is 12 and meh about Disney. He was raised on Disney everything and loves Wars and Trek and I'm scared that he's going to hate it. Priced out the coat of tix and rooms for Universal and it was cheaper than Disney. We will discuss our trip in 2019 to see who really wants to go. If no one else besides me and a few other kids want to go, we'll be doing Universal and seaworld. Legoland maybe.

We're going in less than 5 days and I'm hoping I don't become a Disney hater based on a bad trip. It's our first time and the only time we had to do Disney. My youngest is almost 5 and I picked it because there's not much to do at Universal for little kids. Meal planning is cheaper than Disney prices and express passes are free with a deluxe hotel. None of this club level nonsense for three extra fastpasses. And you have to pay for them!

21stamps

My son is 12 and meh about Disney. He was raised on Disney everything and loves Wars and Trek and I'm scared that he's going to hate it. Priced out the coat of tix and rooms for Universal and it was cheaper than Disney. We will discuss our trip in 2019 to see who really wants to go. If no one else besides me and a few other kids want to go, we'll be doing Universal and seaworld. Legoland maybe.

We're going in less than 5 days and I'm hoping I don't become a Disney hater based on a bad trip. It's our first time and the only time we had to do Disney. My youngest is almost 5 and I picked it because there's not much to do at Universal for little kids. Meal planning is cheaper than Disney prices and express passes are free with a deluxe hotel. None of this club level nonsense for three extra fastpasses. And you have to pay for them!

Please ignore what you’ve read here. You’re in charge of a trip being Bad or Good. Just remember that, and everything will be great! :)

Please ignore what you’ve read here. You’re in charge of a trip being Bad or Good. Just remember that, and everything will be great! :)
That's how I feel, but I'm seeing trip veterans say it's bad and I'm like wow, we could have gone on a Legoland or to Universal etc! I read, planned and learned as much as I could about Disney World before paying anything. I have touring plans, useless crowd calendars because everyday is a crowded day, and I made adrs.

Had to cancel some today once I added up costs. I really want to try foods at the Flower and Garden Festival and those plates add up. A stroller is waiting for us, and I'm forgoing a needed ecv out of concerns about maneuvering through the crowded parks and a desire to get things done and move around the way I want. Hoping I don't regret that!

I decided that forgoing the BBB experience was smart to save, plus for boys it's hair gel and a costume. That's not worth the fee.

Touring plans has excellent resources on dining, rooms, touring plans and what I can't find there, many excellent blogs and forums like this saw me through. Is it enough?

There are a finite number of first time guests at any given time. If Disney loses "mind-share" in more and more those who will be generating new first time guests in the future, what does Disney's future look like? That's the question that is never asked in Burbank, and thus never answered, because quarterly financials are all that matter. Little, or even no, long-term thinking seems to go into anything these days, because quarterly financials are all that matter. Tear down the old, stale stuff that we don't want to maintain. Strike while the iron is hot, milk the hot property for all its worth. Lather, rinse, repeat. Wait, repeating costs too much money. What do we do now???

Braving the crowds at WDW is becoming a status symbol, along with being able to give Johnny and Susie their "magical Disney World vacation".
This is a trip of a lifetime for me. As a kid, a Disney DVD was my vacation. Mom would get one every year and we'd watch it. Looked fun and I wanted to go but knew it wasn't in the budget. Especially not for a single mother. Now I can take them and I have so many emotional and nostalgic reasons to go. More than my little ones. This is not just a trip for me. I've lost myself these last few years to disability and other things. Also, I'm trying hard to make this awesome so they'll agree to a few days at Disneyland along with seaworld and Universal Studios!

21stamps

That's how I feel, but I'm seeing trip veterans say it's bad and I'm like wow, we could have gone on a Legoland or to Universal etc! I read, planned and learned as much as I could about Disney World before paying anything. I have touring plans, useless crowd calendars because everyday is a crowded day, and I made adrs.

Had to cancel some today once I added up costs. I really want to try foods at the Flower and Garden Festival and those plates add up. A stroller is waiting for us, and I'm forgoing a needed ecv out of concerns about maneuvering through the crowded parks and a desire to get things done and move around the way I want. Hoping I don't regret that!

I decided that forgoing the BBB experience was smart to save, plus for boys it's hair gel and a costume. That's not worth the fee.

Touring plans has excellent resources on dining, rooms, touring plans and what I can't find there, many excellent blogs and forums like this saw me through. Is it enough?

Yes, as long as you have your fast passes and a general plan—- you’ll be fine!! My best advice- Don’t get too bogged down with an itinerary..(been there, have the meltdown memories to remember it by ;) ) You can continuously book more FPs after your initial 3..take advantage, but no need to zigzag from one side of the park to the otherbin chase of them.
Just remember that you’re there to have fun as a family.. not one attraction or dining reservation can make or break a trip!

You see a ton of negativity on these boards, but the trip report section is a great resource.. and not the same type of negativity. Remember, half of the complaints you read are from people who haven’t even been there lately.. and a good portion of the other half- well, let’s just say that some people probably complain about everything and anything in life. ;)

As far as the ECV, if it gets too bad for you, can you rent one at the park at that time?

Yes, as long as you have your fast passes and a general plan—- you’ll be fine!! My best advice- Don’t get too bogged down with an itinerary..(been there, have the meltdown memories to remember it by ;) ) You can continuously book more FPs after your initial 3..take advantage, but no need to zigzag from one side of the park to the otherbin chase of them.
Just remember that you’re there to have fun as a family.. not one attraction or dining reservation can make or break a trip!

You see a ton of negativity on these boards, but the trip report section is a great resource.. and not the same type of negativity. Remember, half of the complaints you read are from people who haven’t even been there lately.. and a good portion of the other half- well, let’s just say that some people probably complain about everything and anything in life. ;)

As far as the ECV, if it gets too bad for you, can you rent one at the park at that time?
Thanks for giving me some hope. I was really scared of things being terrible or hating it. I'm a huge Disney fan! It's big just to be there and see the small details. My bucket list includes seeing Ready Player One at Disney World, so I'm easy enough to please!

I'm taking 1200 for 3 people to eat for 5 days, and that's with cheaper breakfasts at Starbucks and eating before we go in the morning. For lunch, we have snacks to tide us over and to avoid early crowds for lunch or dinner. There's a lot of snacks and good food to share and the kid's menu is reasonable enough.

Our adrs are for Ohana breakfast and dinner and Tusker House for breakfast. I have to see if we can get BOG for lunch. It's not as expensive. It's not a big deal if we don't! I have a very firm budget of 300 total for souvenirs from the character warehouse or Walmart's. Yes I'm that cheap.

I'm not a pixie duster and I suffer no corporations out of expected loyalty. If a company delivers great, if not I will vote with my dollars.

If it gets too bad, an ecv will have to be rented. I have very bad arthritis and other mobility and health concerns. I really want to walk my kids through the Magic Kingdom. Epcot, I can ecv. It's huge!! But I don't want to hold my family back.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

This is a trip of a lifetime for me. As a kid, a Disney DVD was my vacation. Mom would get one every year and we'd watch it. Looked fun and I wanted to go but knew it wasn't in the budget. Especially not for a single mother. Now I can take them and I have so many emotional and nostalgic reasons to go. More than my little ones. This is not just a trip for me. I've lost myself these last few years to disability and other things. Also, I'm trying hard to make this awesome so they'll agree to a few days at Disneyland along with seaworld and Universal Studios!
First trip is the best, then it opens up. Next time UNI and you will have something to compare it to. If you have a free couple of hours and like seafood head to SW before 4/29 and hit the food fest. Better than the EPCOT thing.

ParentsOf4

All those who would like to eventually see these graphs and the accompanying data behind them posted, say 'Aye'.

AYE!! :)
Aye!! Marie
Already been posted. Very impressive and tells the tale quite well. @ParentsOf4
WE WANTS THE REDHE......AHEM, I MEAN, WE WANTS THE GRAPHS!!
For example, WDW ticket price increases for one-day MK tickets and across all WDW tickets (excluding annual passes) since 1990, compared with household income for those in the middle, the top 20%, and the top 5%:

WDW Ticket Prices.jpg

Really, the only group that's kept up with WDW ticket price increases are those in the top 1%.

First trip is the best, then it opens up. Next time UNI and you will have something to compare it to. If you have a free couple of hours and like seafood head to SW before 4/29 and hit the food fest. Better than the EPCOT thing.
On HS day, we can swing it for a few hours. Is the food really good?

21stamps

Thanks for giving me some hope. I was really scared of things being terrible or hating it. I'm a huge Disney fan! It's big just to be there and see the small details. My bucket list includes seeing Ready Player One at Disney World, so I'm easy enough to please!

I'm taking 1200 for 3 people to eat for 5 days, and that's with cheaper breakfasts at Starbucks and eating before we go in the morning. For lunch, we have snacks to tide us over and to avoid early crowds for lunch or dinner. There's a lot of snacks and good food to share and the kid's menu is reasonable enough.

Our adrs are for Ohana breakfast and dinner and Tusker House for breakfast. I have to see if we can get BOG for lunch. It's not as expensive. It's not a big deal if we don't! I have a very firm budget of 300 total for souvenirs from the character warehouse or Walmart's. Yes I'm that cheap.

I'm not a pixie duster and I suffer no corporations out of expected loyalty. If a company delivers great, if not I will vote with my dollars.

If it gets too bad, an ecv will have to be rented. I have very bad arthritis and other mobility and health concerns. I really want to walk my kids through the Magic Kingdom. Epcot, I can ecv. It's huge!! But I don't want to hold my family back.
On HS day, we can swing it for a few hours. Is the food really good?

No problem!!! The rumors and news boards are full of posts which will make you think that Disney is some horrible-going-out-of-business place. It’s not!! I’ve been going since 1978, minus a 4 year hiatus.. I loved it in the 80s, 90s, and today. I’m not a “pixie duster” Disney never has and never will be my go-to travel destination.. not as a kid or adult.. I’ve never had an obsession, and I don’t look at Disney as some extraterrestrial bubble.. it’s a vacation destination, an Amazing one.

Here’s a link to a trip report of someone who just came back.. there’s another poster who is doing a live one right now..

https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/florida-fresh-spring-march-2018.939246/page-2#post-8137681

Go to that section.. Read, Ask questions from people who have been recently.. and those who don’t keep booking trips whilst complaining about how horrible it is. :hilarious:

The people in that section, and who are currently there or just came back from Flower and Garden.. they can answer a ton of questions. :)

You’ll be fine with food. The qs prices aren’t nearly as bad as people say they are. Especially kids meals! You’re budget sounds fine. $300 is plenty for souvenirs. Here’s my rule- if it’s going to sit and collect dust- we don’t buy it. I’ve made that mistake before. I’d rather spend money on experiences than dust collecting ‘stuff’
Mickey/character hats.. a little trinket..you’ll still be under budget. :).

ParentsOf4

And perhaps my favorite WDW "chart" ever. :D

1983 WDW tickets.jpg

I remember buying the $35 3-day passport ticket in 1983, one of the years in the early 1980s that my brother and friends stayed at an offsite campsite. (Hey, I was a poor undergrad back then!)

Adjusted for inflation, this $35 ticket would be $87.50 today. (This is right before Eisner's/Wells' big 1984-1988 price increases.) As I've suggested before, I believe this represents WDW's high point in terms of "value":

WDW Historical Grade.jpg

(I'll update this for 2018 once Toy Story Land opens.)

I'd gladly dump DHS and DAK if I could return to the outstanding value, quality, and service the Magic Kingdom and the (at the time) newly opened EPCOT offered in 1983. :)

Last edited:

JoeCamel

And perhaps my favorite WDW "chart" ever. :D

View attachment 272750

I remember buying the $35 3-day passport ticket in 1983, one of the years in the early 1980s that my brother and friends stayed at an offsite campsite. (Hey, I was a poor undergrad back then!)

Adjusted for inflation, this $35 ticket would be $87.50 today. (This is right before Eisner's/Wells' big 1984-1988 price increases.) As I've suggested before, I believe this represents WDW's high point in terms of "value":

View attachment 272745

(I'll update this for 2018 once Toy Story Land is opened.)

I'd gladly dump DHS and DAK if I could return to the outstanding value, quality, and service the Magic Kingdom and the (at the time) newly opened EPCOT offered in 1983. :)
That is one I have not seen before. - Thanks! I am with you, take me back to when I came with my new bride. It was magical....

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Nope, The last straw for us was a checkin at GFV which had DW in tears because the only choice was a downgrade of room class. Without a concomitant decrease in per night cost.

That trip started bad and got worse. That was the first time ever we were happy that we were leaving WDW. And why hell will freeze over before we return.

matt9112

Good lord that’s crazy. That’s what we paid for a week at AKL back in 2005 with empty parks to ride attractions over and over. This summer and early fall will be interesting. When does the gondola system open up? Just think of the price hikes when we get close to opening SW:GE????:eek::eek:

that's a very valid point the prices keep going up but the actual resort park experience is on the down turn....unless there's a bunch of people who like feeling like cattle. honestly think I'm going toet APs lapse and keep uni for a little at least.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom