WDW Reopening Estimates

When will WDW theme parks reopen to guests?

• May

Votes: 34 3.0%
  • June

Votes: 424 37.3%
  • July

Votes: 287 25.2%
  • August

Votes: 124 10.9%
  • September or even later in 2020

Votes: 269 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
It looks like Disney will be involved as Orange County starts to make preliminary plans for opening up the central Florida economy. I assume this means that we may be closer to them being open than we previously thought. The mayor has said TWDC will be a "heavy hitter" in these discussions:

Getachew

It looks like Disney will be involved as Orange County starts to make preliminary plans for opening up the central Florida economy. I assume this means that we may be closer to them being open than we previously thought. The mayor has said TWDC will be a "heavy hitter" in these discussions:

Why would you assume this? Nothing in that article indicates anything close to that.

Mouse Trap

Everyone here needs to stop fooling themselves into believing as the economy drops like a rock over the next month that politics won’t have huge influence on when the parks reopen.

When is it safe to reopen WDW? When the virus is eradicated.

When will it really open? Much, much sooner. DeSantis would open it tomorrow.

themarchhare

Everyone here needs to stop fooling themselves into believing as the economy drops like a rock over the next month that politics won’t have huge influence on when the parks reopen.

Of course the economy is opening up before we have a vaccine; but the problem is that we don't have adequate testing for non-essential folks to go back into work, opening up stuff, etc.

techgeek

Closer to being open then previously thought? By assembling an ‘economic exploration team’ of 40-45 business leaders?

I’m pretty sure you don’t expedite decisions by involving 45 person committees in the process. This says exactly the opposite to me... that “we’re going to take our time and consider input from everyone before we start.“

jpeden

In the Parks
No
It’s hard to imagine someone creating a Wegmans today. It’s a super-premium grocer...with typically the lowest prices in the market. People compare to Publix or HEB but no one is doing anything like the volume per store that Wegmans does. A typical grocer might sell 3 of something per store per week and Wegmans does 30, no exaggeration. Only Meijer and Winco are even in the ballpark. It’s an incredible business.
Why would you assume this? Nothing in that article indicates anything close to that.

Closer to being open then previously thought? By assembling an ‘economic exploration team’ of 40-45 business leaders?

I’m pretty sure you don’t expedite decisions by involving 45 person committees in the process. This says exactly the opposite to me... that “we’re going to take our time and consider input from everyone before we start.“

Last week we were being told we couldn't even begin to discuss what re-opening the economy would look like until May or possibly June, setting up for re-openings in July and onward. Suddenly, there are taskforces and emerging plans to reopen the economy - which we were told was unthinkable just a week ago so yes, I think people are going to be re-opening their cities faster than expected. There was a large-scale protest at the Michigan state capitol and the mayor of Las Vegas has said they can no longer wait to re-open the city. Local and state politicians are starting to get too much pressure from their constituents about keeping the economy locked down and people in their homes - that is not in the DNA of a western democracy.

Something that is not getting a lot of traction on any news group is that European countries are slowly starting to re-open their economies, while working on ways to keep people somewhat distant. There have been openings starting again in Switzerland, Spain, Italy, and some of the Nordic countries (excluding Sweden, which never shut down.

I know people say it isn't happening, but if countries like that are going to start opening up, I don't see why America wouldn't be following relatively shortly if their results don't show a resurgence in cases.

Last edited:

themarchhare

Last week we were being told we couldn't even begin to discuss what re-opening the economy would look like until May or possibly June, setting up for re-openings in July and onward. Suddenly, there are taskforces and emerging plans to reopen the economy - which we were told was unthinkable just a week ago so yes, I think people are going to be re-opening their cities faster than expected. There was a large-scale protest at the Michigan state capitol and the mayor of Las Vegas has said they can no longer wait to re-open the city. Local and state politicians are starting to get too much pressure from their constituents about keeping the economy locked down and people in their homes - that is not in the DNA of a western democracy.

Something that is not getting a lot of traction on any news group is that European countries are slowly starting to re-open their economies, while working on ways to keep people somewhat distant. There have been openings starting again in Switzerland, Spain, Italy, and some of the Nordic countries (excluding Sweden, which never shut down.

I know people say it isn't happening, but if countries like that are going to start opening up, I don't see why America wouldn't be following relatively shortly if their results don't show a resurgence in cases.
They have adequate testing and contact tracing ready.

We don't.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Something that is not getting a lot of traction on any news group is that European countries are slowly starting to re-open their economies, while working on ways to keep people somewhat distant. There have been openings starting again in Switzerland, Spain, Italy, and some of the Nordic countries (excluding Sweden, which never shut down..
What European reopening rules there are would not include a theme park.

Here in the UK we just got another 3 weeks of lockdown until the next decision.

Getachew

Again, what's in your article that indicates Disney is planning to open sooner rather than later?

Last edited by a moderator:

jpeden

In the Parks
No
They have adequate testing and contact tracing ready.

We don't.

Most European countries do not have adequate contact tracing - the only country that has anything like that has been South Korea. If Italy, Spain, the UK, and France had adequate contact tracing in place they wouldn't be in the situation they are in now.

What European reopening rules there are would not include a theme park.

Here in the UK we just got another 3 weeks of lockdown until the next decision.

I understand that, but my point was if there are not huge resurgences based on these openings, Disney will be looking at opening sooner rather than later. I don't know why people are surprised by this, but there is massive political pressure to restart the economy on every level and when theme parks are the economic engine of a region, regardless of what a lot of people think they are going to have to be part of the re-opening. You can't reopen the central Florida economy without reopening the theme parks - they are the main economic hub.

Again, what's in your article that indicates Disney is planning to open sooner rather than later?

My point was they aren't assembling a task force to re-open the central Florida economy without Disney and Universal's input - and they aren't convening a task force in April to discuss something that's not going to happen until September. The central Florida economy will collapse upon itself if the tourism sector isn't allowed to operate in some fashion this summer. That is basic economics.

Getachew

My point was they aren't assembling a task force to re-open the central Florida economy without Disney and Universal's input - and they aren't convening a task force in April to discuss something that's not going to happen until September. The central Florida economy will collapse upon itself if the tourism sector isn't allowed to operate in some fashion this summer. That is basic economics.

Again, a tough situation. Opening up in summer with very strict restrictions may not be feasible for companies as large as WDW and UO. Also, if a breakout happens in one or both of those places, that causes workers and guests to get sick, all hell will break loose. I'm in no way convinced Disney will open up in June, and I'm really doubting even July at this point. Opening some things back up in May or June doesn't mean such large places like WDW and UO will be opening as well. They may sit back and wait to see how everything unfolds first, to see if it is safe for them to re-open. But who knows, maybe I'm way off.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
People will grow restless, sure, but one could argue that if we ignore experts and "go back to normal" right away, and a second worse wave happens, those same leaders who opened everything back up too quickly will face an even bigger backlash. It's a tough situation for sure.

Again, a tough situation. Opening up in summer with very strict restrictions may not be feasible for companies as large as WDW and UO. Also, if a breakout happens in one or both of those places, that causes workers and guests to get sick, all hell will break loose. I'm in no way convinced Disney will open up in June, and I'm really doubting even July at this point. Opening some things back up in May or June doesn't mean such large places like WDW and UO will be opening as well. They may sit back and wait to see how everything unfolds first, to see if it is safe for them to re-open. But who knows, maybe I'm way off.

And I may be way off as well - I'm not an epidemiologist. I do think that it's helpful that many of the experts have said a second wave would not be as serious or as devastating and could quickly be contained based on what we now know works and what doesn't (I think even Dr. Faucci said that).

But we now have people asking us to consider burning the village to save it when we talk about shelter in place and social distancing into the fall and 2021 and 2022 - and that is unreasonable, panic inducing, and asking for world-wide economic collapse. I just don't see how central Florida's economic sector survives a summer without tourists in any capacity.

Getachew

And I may be way off as well - I'm not an epidemiologist. I do think that it's helpful that many of the experts have said a second wave would not be as serious or as devastating and could quickly be contained based on what we now know works and what doesn't (I think even Dr. Faucci said that).

But we now have people asking us to consider burning the village to save it when we talk about shelter in place and social distancing into the fall and 2021 and 2022 - and that is unreasonable, panic inducing, and asking for world-wide economic collapse. I just don't see how central Florida's economic sector survives a summer without tourists in any capacity.

I don't think WDW or UO will be closed till 2021, and definitely not 2022, but people wanting to open the doors back open right away and go back to normal, or develop a "herd immunity" are going to cause a much worse second wave to happen. Disney has to proceed with caution, so no matter what the politicians in power say, I personally believe (hope) they will go by what the health experts say.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I understand that, but my point was if there are not huge resurgences based on these openings, Disney will be looking at opening sooner rather than later. I don't know why people are surprised by this..
It’s not surprise.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I understand that, but my point was if there are not huge resurgences based on these openings, Disney will be looking at opening sooner rather than later. I don't know why people are surprised by this, but there is massive political pressure to restart the economy on every level and when theme parks are the economic engine of a region, regardless of what a lot of people think they are going to have to be part of the re-opening. You can't reopen the central Florida economy without reopening the theme parks - they are the main economic hub.

Huh?
It’s not surprise.
Yeah...”surprise” isn’t the right word.

UNCgolf

Thankfully it isn't a hydroxychloroquine situation. Remdesivir is a promising drug that was specifically created as an antiviral, and the current clinical trials are very promising. It's not going to be a miracle cure, but it has the potential to be a significant help if the trials continue to go well.

If it does continue to perform well, it would likely only be used in hospitals for relatively severe cases, though. It's an intravenous drug; not something where someone can just pop a pill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom