WDW Reopening Estimates

When will WDW theme parks reopen to guests?

• May

Votes: 34 3.0%
  • June

Votes: 424 37.3%
  • July

Votes: 287 25.2%
  • August

Votes: 124 10.9%
  • September or even later in 2020

Votes: 269 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Polkadotdress

Aside from all of this debate about social distancing and the economy and risk in regards to opening WDW, yet ANOTHER thing that needs to be factored in, is this growing concern about the food supply chain. Without a viable option to source meat, most/all of the restaurants will be adversely effected. Can't imagine the resort opening like that.

DisneyCane

Aside from all of this debate about social distancing and the economy and risk in regards to opening WDW, yet ANOTHER thing that needs to be factored in, is this growing concern about the food supply chain. Without a viable option to source meat, most/all of the restaurants will be adversely effected. Can't imagine the resort opening like that.
I don't think they'll be opening all the restaurants at the beginning anyway. If there are temporary issues with certain meats they can adjust the menu. I don't think that is a big factor in the reopening decision. We are talking at minimum over a month from now. I think the packing plant outbreaks will be resolved by then.

mgf

Can I ask: is it in their best interests?

^^^ This. They are not going to risk a false start (or worse a second shutdown) and will likely trail other re-openings in the state. I do not see them rushing. Also, the potential cost impacts of mitigation could be substantial and would likely shift nearly every break even point.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The governor is going to encourage theme parks and tourism to resume as soon as it’s even remotely viable. The state can’t function without tourism money rolling in and needs the tourism related service jobs to open back up and get out of the unemployment queue.
That’s a given.

The unanswerable question at the moment is “when is it remotely viable?”

mgf

My understanding is it is the household supply chain that is at greatest risk. Commercial food supplies are abundant but not able to be moved and/or diverted easily.

doctornick

However, this scenario illustrates why DVC resorts will have to be among the first to open, or else the shutdown continues to compound the problem. DVC are the only guests that have non-refundable contracts for use of the resorts, so they absolutely should be at the head of the line for resort openings.

Even with some points being lost - that seems to be a relatively small number if I understand correctly what they are doing - there seems to be an impending problems of too many points and not enough room availability to use them in. And, of course, the longer closures persist the worse the issue becomes.

I'm curious to see how Disney deals with it. Having unsold inventory available to be used by current DVC points holder will provide some flexibility - not sure how much Riveria has unsold, but that's something there. Opening up non-DVC rooms as potential extra booking options (as studios) would help with the inventory for DVC while cushioning some of the (potential) decreased demand from cash guests. I wonder if they will offer cruises at a significant points discount as an incentive to provide an option for DVC members and to help fill ships when/if that type of tourism returns.

havoc315

Well.... For those with June 1 reservations, final payment is due later this week. Now, certainly, Disney could take their money... and cancel and refund later. But I strongly suspect we will be getting some guidance from Disney this week. As people finalize payment and prospective travel arrangements, Disney's communication team doesn't want to be a villain keeping people guessing till the last minute.

Now, the reality is -- Disney probably doesn't have an answer yet. But I think they will still provide some guidance... Maybe even push back the open reservation dates further.
Something like, "At this juncture, we are continuing to watch the infection rate and working with the state to develop a plan. We are targeting a date of ______ for re-opening to on-site guest reservations. This date is not certain and we will provide more information in the future."

PREMiERdrum

Well.... For those with June 1 reservations, final payment is due later this week. Now, certainly, Disney could take their money... and cancel and refund later. But I strongly suspect we will be getting some guidance from Disney this week. As people finalize payment and prospective travel arrangements, Disney's communication team doesn't want to be a villain keeping people guessing till the last minute.

Now, the reality is -- Disney probably doesn't have an answer yet. But I think they will still provide some guidance... Maybe even push back the open reservation dates further.
Something like, "At this juncture, we are continuing to watch the infection rate and working with the state to develop a plan. We are targeting a date of ______ for re-opening to on-site guest reservations. This date is not certain and we will provide more information in the future."

Final Payments now aren't due until 7 days prior to arrival. They still have a few weeks to plot things out and cancel as needed.

Jrb1979

I wonder how much lead time WDW needs to prepare to open. For example, how much time to re-hire or train new hires, how much time to test all attractions for operational status and safety check, how much time to complete the "final cleaning" that makes the parks ready to be opened, how much time to purchase the inventory of goods and foods to be ready to open? If we knew an approximate for the aforementioned examples, we could determine the earliest opening date as of the current date. Thus, if we estimated it would take WDW 30 days from the day an opening decision is made, then the soonest WDW could open is 30 days from the current date. Of course, that would assume that Disney would not already be in the early days of preparing when the opening date is announced...
From what I have heard it will take awhile. Most of the rides have had their hydraulic fluid drained. If that's the case it will take time to get the rides back up to normal.

Jrb1979

Does anyone think WDW could open in June to FL residents only?

I was just looking at the weekend virus statistics and FL reported just 28 deaths combined Sat/Sun, down from 40ish the past two weekends. Those are encouraging numbers in a state of 22 million people.
Not likely and that's cause they haven't called and CM'S back yet. Its going to at least a month to get Disney ready to open.

peter11435

Not likely and that's cause they haven't called and CM'S back yet. Its going to at least a month to get Disney ready to open.
It will not take a month to get Disney back open. Cast members being recalled will happen 1-2 weeks prior.the vast majority of cast members will not be notified more than 1 week before being needed.

csmat99

The state can’t function without tourism money rolling in and needs the tourism related service jobs to open back up and get out of the unemployment queue.
The issue is you can't have people flying in from all parts of the country especially areas that still are having outbreaks. Would be logistical nightmare to say ok we will allow residents from these states to come but not others. The problem is you don't know where those people have been. I used to work in NYC and commute everyday for 5 years but lived in Philadelphia as an example. I truly feel Disney will only open to florida residents initially and see how things go. My biggest concern is all the experts are pretty much saying we will get hit with second wave in fall and also have normal flu season. How can Disney be open then?

Shouldigo12

Does anyone think WDW could open in June to FL residents only?

I was just looking at the weekend virus statistics and FL reported just 28 deaths combined Sat/Sun, down from 40ish the past two weekends. Those are encouraging numbers in a state of 22 million people.
I don't think it'll be June, but I do think only being open to Florida residents for a period of time would be a good idea.

Jrb1979

It will not take a month to get Disney back open. Cast members being recalled will happen 1-2 weeks prior.the vast majority of cast members will not be notified more than 1 week before being needed.
How long do you they it will take to attractions back up and running since the hydraulic fluid has been drained? They will need to run a certain amount of cycles to be operational again.

peter11435

How long do you they it will take to attractions back up and running since the hydraulic fluid has been drained? They will need to run a certain amount of cycles to be operational again.
Hydraulic fluid was drained from certain elements not from everything. Most attractions have still been cycled as necessary. It will not take that long to get attractions up and running. Again. If they decided today it was safe they could open in 1-2 weeks.

Reactions: CJR

Lilofan

Hydraulic fluid was drained from certain elements not from everything. Most attractions have still been cycled as necessary. It will not take that long to get attractions up and running. Again. If they decided today it was safe they could open in 1-2 weeks.
I would hope there is some sort of AC running in the buildings that house animatronics. If the AC is turned off in these closed off buildings, mold and mildew will be prevalent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom