WDW Reopening Estimates

When will WDW theme parks reopen to guests?

• May

Votes: 34 3.0%
  • June

Votes: 424 37.3%
  • July

Votes: 287 25.2%
  • August

Votes: 124 10.9%
  • September or even later in 2020

Votes: 269 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Meg4theMouse

In the Parks
No
The sad thing when hear all these doctors speaking about this virus is they seem to not know really how this virus is going to react or if it will return or not. They all keep saying that this virus is so new and we just don't have all the information on it and that is telling me that they really don't have a full grasp on what is going to happen in the next several months. So with that unfortunately, I am going to have to say WDW won't be opened until September or later.

carolina_yankee

Even with some points being lost - that seems to be a relatively small number if I understand correctly what they are doing - there seems to be an impending problems of too many points and not enough room availability to use them in. And, of course, the longer closures persist the worse the issue becomes.

I'm curious to see how Disney deals with it. Having unsold inventory available to be used by current DVC points holder will provide some flexibility - not sure how much Riveria has unsold, but that's something there. Opening up non-DVC rooms as potential extra booking options (as studios) would help with the inventory for DVC while cushioning some of the (potential) decreased demand from cash guests. I wonder if they will offer cruises at a significant points discount as an incentive to provide an option for DVC members and to help fill ships when/if that type of tourism returns.

There are two pools of points: Those that expire before the resorts re-open and those that don't expire but were used for reservations during the closed period.

Obviously, the unexpired points are saved and can be used for reservations going forward (once open again). Disney has made the decision that those with April and June use years who used expiring points for reservations during the closure period will also get those points back and be able to use them within 6-12 months, depending on what year the points are from.

This means that at least 2+ and probably 3+ months of full occupancy are suddenly shifted forward into future months, also generally at full occupancy (since the DVC system is designed to have resorts at full occupancy). In order to free up availability for the increased demand, they have cut in half the number of points that could be borrowed from future Use Years for bookings during the 2020 Use Years (which runs through calendar 2021).

This means that people who rely on borrowed points for the vacations won't be able to do that, so they're not happy. However, they aren't losing their points (because they can either alter their plans to use less points or delay their trips and bank their points into the future).

Each day, week, month a DVC resort is closed compounds the point pressure on future availability.

I still don't understand why Disney can't make cash rooms available for the cost of studio points to alleviate some of that pressure, but others say it can't be done "because two different departments" or "real estate/timeshare laws" but nobody has pointed to a policy or law to back that up. I would think somebody in charge of both departments could say "do it" but I'm just a guy on the internet, so what do I know.

It's generally not a good use of points to cruise, but they could adjust point charts there, too. Or, as could be the case in our situation, if it's a "Use 'em or lose 'em" scenario, I'd use my points on a cruise. But then again, I didn't buy DVC as a financial investment. I bought it as a pre-paid vacation. Presumably if I'm happy with my points usage, I'm good. Some in the DVC community think that's a stupid approach, but again, I'm just a guy on the internet. And so are they (or gals).

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
It will not take a month to get Disney back open. Cast members being recalled will happen 1-2 weeks prior.the vast majority of cast members will not be notified more than 1 week before being needed.
What will take longer is food orders for all the restaurants. Disney has a lot of restocking to do and they can't just run to the local Publix or Costco. Who know, maybe that has already started happening....😉

Getachew

Hydraulic fluid was drained from certain elements not from everything. Most attractions have still been cycled as necessary. It will not take that long to get attractions up and running. Again. If they decided today it was safe they could open in 1-2 weeks.

You keep saying this, and it's based on nothing.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
You keep saying this, and it's based on nothing.
You guys just keep talking past each other. @peter11435 is 100% correct that they can get back labor and run attractions within 1-2 weeks. That's the simple part and also the last phase of reopening.

The hard part is getting the logistics in place to support getting CM in place to safely open the park and resorts back up. Ordering Food, Supplies, implementing safety modifications for social distancing, training, etc. If June 1 is their opening date, they have already started started the initial phases of opening.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What will take longer is food orders for all the restaurants. Disney has a lot of restocking to do and they can't just run to the local Publix or Costco. Who know, maybe that has already started happening....😉
Disney runs a rather large number of food venues per capita...

I don’t think supply and operation will be a problem in the parks...though I’m sure it will be limited locations at this point...

What about the hotels? They don’t seem to want to offer enough there as is...the concept of not having some food 24/7 at hotels priced that much has been ridiculous for years as is...

What exactly are they gonna be willing to staff with higher care/overhead there?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You guys just keep talking past each other. @peter11435 is 100% correct that they can get back labor and run attractions within 1-2 weeks. That's the simple part and also the last phase of reopening.

The hard part is getting the logistics in place to support getting CM in place to safely open the park and resorts back up. Ordering Food, Supplies, implementing safety modifications for social distancing, training, etc. If June 1 is their opening date, they have already started started the initial phases of opening.
I think the truth is in the middle...are some things “easy” to do?...yes.

But the balance and logistical hurdles are huge in the aggregate.

I can’t buy “Disney knows what they’re doing...” on this...

They don’t in fact know anything...big challenge even for them. And I don’t question their logistics skill much.

Mav

Just received an official cancellation from Delta Airlines. All flight are cancelled until September 1st. We would fly from The Netherlands on July 7th. We would be resort guests with free dining plan :cry:

Harsh. Are they giving you the possibility to rebook on KLM? They have an Atlanta and JFK route aswell.
I'm flying out on August 13th from Brussels with Lufthansa. Fingers crossed.

Herdman

Eventually, you are going to have to know there are risks, and what risks are you willing to take, short of a vaccine, which won't be until at least 12 months from now. If you're elderly, you should probably stay home. If you have pre-existing conditions, you should probably not come. There are risks every time you step out of the house, including many viruses, and over 80% of the people that acquire this virus have either no symptoms or very mild symptoms. That being said, I still think we're looking at July as a best case scenario for a gradual re-opening with limited resorts, parks, restaurants, etc. Disney is a publicly traded company, and their first responsibilty is to the shareholders. They are going to do what they need to do to best serve them.

ImperfectPixie

Eventually, you are going to have to know there are risks, and what risks are you willing to take, short of a vaccine, which won't be until at least 12 months from now. If you're elderly, you should probably stay home. If you have pre-existing conditions, you should probably not come. There are risks every time you step out of the house, including many viruses, and over 80% of the people that acquire this virus have either no symptoms or very mild symptoms. That being said, I still think we're looking at July as a best case scenario for a gradual re-opening with limited resorts, parks, restaurants, etc. Disney is a publicly traded company, and their first responsibilty is to the shareholders. They are going to do what they need to do to best serve them.
Until a vaccine or effective treatment is found, people taking "acceptable risks" are basically playing Russian roulette. We've seen that health is no guarantee against severe symptoms, and "recovery" is no guarantee against long-term health consequences due to the virus.

JoshQuillin

If I had to guess I would say June especially because a friend of mine told me that one of her friends who is an entertainment cast member at WDW was told that rehearsals will begin mid-May. I would guess that there are going to be a ton of restrictions including lowered attendance levels etc. but who knows for sure. Universal sent out a very interesting survey asking what types of things people would want to see restriction wise. It included 25% park max capacity, fever screenings, masks required, no 3-D glasses etc. Who knows what Disney will do, but I'm sure it's going to be a slow re-opening process.

Tom P.

Until a vaccine or effective treatment is found, people taking "acceptable risks" are basically playing Russian roulette. We've seen that health is no guarantee against severe symptoms, and "recovery" is no guarantee against long-term health consequences due to the virus.
Assume that no vaccine or effective treatment is found until sometime in 2021. Are you advocating that the entire country remain closed down and under stay-at-home orders for a year? I do not see how that is possible. I am not one advocating for a quick rush to re-open the economy, but I also acknowledge that at some point it has to happen.

Last edited:

ImperfectPixie

Assume that no vaccine or effective treatment is found until sometime in 2021. Are you advocating that the entire country remain closed down and under stay-at-home orders for a year? I do not see how that is possible. I am not one advocating for a quick rush to re-open the economy, but I also acknowledge that at some point it has to happen.
No. But schools in particular are a hot-bed for germs, and with asymptomatic spread, unless we come up with some miracle cure before September, I think sending kids back to public school settings is going to be disastrous. Adults are able to self-regulate with more reliance, but as we've all seen, even adults can't always be depended upon to do what they should.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom