WDW Picture of the Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattBoom

im not sure i get the joke about this? it is photoshopped isnt it. or something as theres no way the castle is that big and in that perspective, it would be huge close up about 30 floors!

There's no joke and it isn't Photoshopped or manipulated in any way.
I stood by where you get on the boat that takes you from the Transportation and ticket center to the Magic Kingdom and zoomed in.

MattBoom

Downtown Disney

P8180097.jpg

I love this one and the blue fairy one. I need to look up more often. I'm guessing these were taken at Downtown Disney somewhere?

ssymes

I love this one and the blue fairy one. I need to look up more often. I'm guessing these were taken at Downtown Disney somewhere?

Yes, I looked up and asked my wife to take this picture of the ceiling at the World of Disney shop at Downtown Disney. If you look up in the center of the store you will see this. I have more pictures that I will put up later tonight :)

MrsGracey

I really like your pictures MattBoom, I just don't understand how the Castle always looks so large in your pictures. Do you use a special zoom lens?
This is how it looks in my pictures.

castle.jpg

MattBoom

I really like your pictures MattBoom, I just don't understand how the Castle always looks so large in your pictures. Do you use a special zoom lens?
This is how it looks in my pictures.

castle.jpg

The trick is to stand back further and zoom in. You took this photo from the middle of Main Street and probably no zoom.
I took the one with the flag pole in it from up by the train station, zoomed in.

Flower'sChild

Is this one of Cinderella's wicked step sisters? I have never seen them out..

Yes this is one of Cinderelly's step sisters :) Her name is Drizella and I gave her a rose :wave: They step sisters might be at the 1900 Park Fare character dinner when the 1900 Park Fare opens back up :) If the step sisters are at the 1900 Park Fare character dinner on my birthday I will ask if they can sing " Happy Birthday " to little me :sohappy:

Flower'sChild

Great pic FlowersChild! Was this recent? We saw Lady Tremaine & the Stepsisters our last trip but I did not get a pic :hammer: was hoping to see them in a few days. :wave:

Thank you for your kind words about my photo :sohappy: This photo was taken on the 15th :wave: This was the first thing that I did at the party :) I love the step sisters :sohappy:

mattjs

im not sure i get the joke about this? it is photoshopped isnt it. or something as theres no way the castle is that big and in that perspective, it would be huge close up about 30 floors!

Not photoshopped. Here's a shot at explaining it (ridiculously oversimplified at best, and littered with errors at worst - I'm no pro :) ). Your eyes see the world at a focal length of about 50mm. Whereas, the focal length range of a typical point & shoot lens (when converted to 35mm equivalent) might be 35mm-200mm or more.

Take three pictures of the same subject (from the same distance and angle). At 50mm things appear more or less how your eyes would see them. Zoom out to 35mm and things appear a little smaller/farther away than how your eyes would see them. Zoom in to 100mm and they appear larger/closer. "Objects in mirror..." :D Then if you add "angle" to the mix:
565726174_633d9de614_b.jpg

When you go out and buy a digital camera, most point & shoots list the specifications for the focal length in 35mm equivalent. For my camera, the spec for the zoom(wide) is listed as 35mm, and the spec for zoom(tele) as 210mm. When I take a picture and look at the EXIF data though (the picture data) I get an "actual" focal length (rather than the 35mm equivalent). So, that Storm Trooper picture shows up in the shooting data as 25mm -- http://www.flickr.com/photo_exif.gne?id=565726174&context=set-72157600393152364

To convert to 35mm equivalent, I just take a picture at zoom(wide) --zoomed all the way out-- and see what focal length is listed in EXIF (in my case it shows up as 7.4mm). I know from the camera specs that the 35mm equivalent for that focal length --zoom(wide)-- is exactly 35mm. Divide the 35mm equivalent (in this case 35) by the actual (in this case 7.4) = 4.73. Now just multiply whatever EXIF lists as focal length by 4.73 to get any 35mm equivalent. So, 25mm (in the storm trooper pic) times 4.73 = 118mm.

I think there's actually a more exact way to convert it but I hate math, and this seems close enough. Maybe somebody with a little more expertise can explain it better though, and/or correct me if I'm wrong anywhere/everywhere :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom