WDW Picture of the Day (Part 6)

YunaB17

100_1791.jpg

WDWFigment

WDWFigment, I love your pics. You and JeffB and a few others on here, and a few people I've met on Flickr, you guys do fantastic shots.

Your colors are so vivid and lively, absolutely gorgeous. How far in depth do you go with your editing in Photoshop? I've got 7.0 and just started to mess around with saturation and the like, but I would love to be on par with your pictures for color.

And for your night shots, they're very smooth. Is that your camera or is it editing? I've noticed in a lot of my night shots, even with my tripod, I get a very grainy look in the night sky. It's very frustrating and I'm wondering if you know of anything I could do to improve the picture or edit the grain out. Thanks much. :wave:

And Studios Fan, thank you. Glad you like it.

I know from talking to Jeff that he and I use similar processing techniques (most of which I learned from him!), so that might explain a similar look color-wise to our shots. Most of my editing in Photoshop is through a couple of programmed Actions. One is LAB coloring, one is LAB sharpening. You should be able to find tutorials on Google to accomplish both. They are somewhat involved processes the first time, but once you set up an Action, it is a click of a button.

Other tweaks I make are more involved, and are just matters of tinkering with settings. It rarely takes me more than 10 minutes to edit a picture. I would say 5 minutes is the norm. If you look at the images in my Trip Report, most of those were edited in 2 minutes each. However, the quality does suffer a bit as a result.

As for the grain in your images, are you using the lowest ISO you possibly can? I use ISO 100-200 for most night shots. Of course, if you're not using a DSLR, ISO 100-200 is going to look grainy due to the P&S camera's sensor. With a P&S, you are limited in your options to reduce grain. There are some tutorials you can find to help with it in Photoshop.

Hope that helps.

WDWFigment

Clicking the image takes you to its Flickr page, where there is commentary, camera settings, and where you can navigate to my other WDW pictures.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom