WDW Picture of the Day (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiidrone

spectromagic
img_0122.jpg

HeySuburbia

Joe, another great picture. Have you taken any WDW pictures with the D300 yet (I haven't checked out your Flickr page lately, so forgive me if the answer to this is readily available there...)? I'd love to make the jump to it, but I just got the D40 this summer, and I already spent a lot on the 18-200 VR, so I've been told I have to wait at least another year until I upgrade again. Rats.

I apologize to the thread for getting off the topic, but I wanted to ask WDWFigment (Great PS threads by the way) about the reason you wish to upgrade from your D40. I have been mulling over a new DSLR, and am considering the D40 over the D80 based on recommendations to save money for lenses rather than spending it on a more expensive body. I know the learning curve for a first time SLR is high, and that for now, the D40 will be more than sufficient for my skill level. However, I am eager and willing to learn the craft and do not want to be bumping a low ceiling after only a few months.

I am also curious to hear how you like the 18-200 VR (I've heard mixed reviews, but mostly tipping towards very favorable). Thanks in advance. Since I don't mean to hijack the thread, please feel free to answer in a PM if you'd like.

WDWFigment

I apologize to the thread for getting off the topic, but I wanted to ask WDWFigment (Great PS threads by the way) about the reason you wish to upgrade from your D40. I have been mulling over a new DSLR, and am considering the D40 over the D80 based on recommendations to save money for lenses rather than spending it on a more expensive body. I know the learning curve for a first time SLR is high, and that for now, the D40 will be more than sufficient for my skill level. However, I am eager and willing to learn the craft and do not want to be bumping a low ceiling after only a few months.

I am also curious to hear how you like the 18-200 VR (I've heard mixed reviews, but mostly tipping towards very favorable). Thanks in advance. Since I don't mean to hijack the thread, please feel free to answer in a PM if you'd like.

I don't think this thread can really be hijacked, but I'll try to keep this short--basically, the only reason I want to upgrade already is because I am impatient and unsatisfiable. I'd like a camera that can perform really well at a little higher ISO (which would require an upgrade to the D300 if staying with Nikon, whereas a lower Canon could accomplish as much). Additionally, I want to get the 50mm f/1.4 (maybe f/1.8?) lens, but it's not AF-S, which is what the D40 requires, since it doesn't have an AF motor in the body. Getting a comparable lens with the D40 is about $300 more. I figure if I'm going to upgrade to the D300 later anyway, I should wait to get that lens until later in order to save money. There are other performance improvements I wouldn't mind.

But all those nitpicky things aside, your friend is right. Buy the D40, and save the extra money for lenses. If I were to upgrade, it probably wouldn't be to the D80 (after doing some research, I don't think the performance/features justify the increase in price) and it DEFINITELY WOULD NOT be the D60. The D40 really is an awesome little camera, but unfortunately so many people overlook it because they subscribe to this faulty belief that 6 MP isn't enough.

As for the 18-200 VR, it is what it is. It will never get a great review from the online camera snobs because it doesn't do everything perfectly. The bottom line is that it does a lot more than any other single lens, and for the most part, does all of those things well. I got it for circumstances such as WDW, so I wouldn't spend the entire trip constantly changing lenses. Then again, I didn't pay anywhere near the retail price (and if I had to, I'm not sure that I would), but for me it was a "must have" given the circumstances.

Hope that helped. Now back to your regularly scheduled pictures. :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom