WDW Permits Part 3

WDW Monorail

Another busy day in the world. Mostly electrical work. Also went back and added an entry on 11/05 for a DWWS Sign Foundation that was just posted.

I need some help on the 2nd item added today, which I've called "Pluto Parking Lot". On the actual permit it's called NSA PLUTO PARK, and the address gets pinned near the AAA Car Center on Google Maps. Did I guess right, or is there a secret park just for the NSA?

NSA stands for North Service Area, unless you're talking about the guys from Quantico...

Pluto Parking lot is located just North of Space Mountain and was used as parking for CMs. A large portion of it is basically a junkyard. There are old watercraft and ride vehicles there like Small World boats.

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
NSA stands for North Service Area, unless you're talking about the guys from Quantico...

Pluto Parking lot is located just North of Space Mountain and was used as parking for CMs. A large portion of it is basically a junkyard. There are old watercraft and ride vehicles there like Small World boats.

Ah, yes! That's it.

I've updated the Nov 6 listings accordingly.

Thanks for the info.

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
11/17/09 Update

8 permits filed today.

Most are for the milling of existing asphalt and application of new surface asphalt. This is happening at the DHS bus entrance lane, AK's north bus stop area and gust parking exit road, and at Fort Wilderness' bus stop and kennel area.

One permit is for the capping of the gas piping for the tiki torches around the Poly property. Thoughts?

Lastly, they're replacing the floating dock at the Poly/GF boat dock at the MK. This could be quite an undertaking.

DisneyParksFan1

Thank you!

Out of curiosity, when they build the FYL expansion, will they have to file permits for that construction as well? For example, when they begin to build the castle walls, or the new Dumbo attraction, etc. Will they have to file permits?

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
Thank you!

Out of curiosity, when they build the FYL expansion, will they have to file permits for that construction as well? For example, when they begin to build the castle walls, or the new Dumbo attraction, etc. Will they have to file permits?

Yes. However, I'm not sure how broad or specific they have to be when filing these permits. Most of them, as we've seen, are VERY specific. However, they may get away with filing a permit for "Beast Castle" which could cover a large area of the expansion.

Heck, if they bid it all out and commence with construction as one giant project, they may just file one permit for "Fantasyland Expansion." Who knows.

DisneyParksFan1

Yes. However, I'm not sure how broad or specific they have to be when filing these permits. Most of them, as we've seen, are VERY specific. However, they may get away with filing a permit for "Beast Castle" which could cover a large area of the expansion.

Heck, if they bid it all out and commence with construction as one giant project, they may just file one permit for "Fantasyland Expansion." Who knows.

Ohh, so even for the new Ariel's Adventure ride, or any ride coming on that expansion for that matter will have permits filed?

Yes indeed, there is that possibility as well, for it to be built as one giant project. I don't think so though. It will be in done in Phases.

PhilharMagician

I was wondering this myself, are they removing the torches?

There were other threads talking about the torches going away a while back and it looks to be true. This would be a shame since the torches really add to the ambiance of the resort. I will make a complaint the next time I am there if this turns out to be true.

It is true the torches add a nice touch, but at the same time that’s a large quantity of natural gas (or propane not sure which they use) being burned for light. I wonder if they may be looking into an alternative like paraffin, citronella or even an isopropyl alcohol based fuel. This wouldn't require direct gas lines to the torches; however the set back would be manual lighting and filling of the torches. Do the current torches light themselves or do they have to be hand lit?

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
It is true the torches add a nice touch, but at the same time that’s a large quantity of natural gas (or propane not sure which they use) being burned for light. I wonder if they may be looking into an alternative like paraffin, citronella or even an isopropyl alcohol based fuel. This wouldn't require direct gas lines to the torches; however the set back would be manual lighting and filling of the torches. Do the current torches light themselves or do they have to be hand lit?

They're just like the Illuminations torches - they're self-igniting and are fueled by a system of natural gas piping.

I would be surprised if they went to a system that required a CM to refill them or manually light them. It sounds as if they're just doing away with them completely.

officeboy

Tiki, Tiki, Tiki, Tiki..... torches

That's how many I saw burning last night at Poly from the Express Monorail. I would guess it will take a while to get to them all. I would assume they would remove the entire fixture including the base and cap off underground.

Though they did leave River Country above ground to rot.... :mad: So I guess I should not assume.

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
11/24/09 Update

Some tile work outside Tiki, at Sunshine Tree Terrace.

A new wheelchair ramp at an office trailer behind CoP.

New deck railing at Restaurantasaurus.

Replacement of some canopy roofing at the TTC Monorail Stations.

Paving work at AS Sports.

Some HVAC work at OKW.

And....a new pet care center....somewhere. The description only gave the Township/Section information, and I'm not sure where to look up that data. Any ideas?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Some tile work outside Tiki, at Sunshine Tree Terrace.

A new wheelchair ramp at an office trailer behind CoP.

New deck railing at Restaurantasaurus.

Replacement of some canopy roofing at the TTC Monorail Stations.

Paving work at AS Sports.

Some HVAC work at OKW.

And....a new pet care center....somewhere. The description only gave the Township/Section information, and I'm not sure where to look up that data. Any ideas?
I think I have a link on my work PC for locating places via those ever so weird township codes. I'll post it first thing in the morning if it is still there.

nepalostparks

Not sure if this is the link Master Yoda is talking about, but it gives lat/long for townships/ranges/sections: http://www.earthpoint.us/Townships.aspx

Plugging in the data, and looking at the points on the line between Section 19 and 20, the line runs from about the intersection of Bonnet Creek Parkway and Vista Boulevard due south to a point in the trees between the Epcot parking lot, Epcot Center Drive, and Backstage Lane.

If the numbers and lat/long are right, that would put the new pet care center either off the extreme east side of the Epcot parking lot, somewhere along Bonnet Creek Parkway opposite Port Orleans Riverside, or right near the intersection of Bonnet Creek Parkway and Vista Boulevard (part of the development there perhaps?).

Someone check my calculations and see if you come up with the same points!

Edit: Best Friends Pet Care, the listed owner on the paperwork, is the company that operates the kennels in WDW already. http://www.bestfriendspetcare.com Nothing on their site about a new location.

nepalostparks

Oooh... that link is even better with all the details :)

Still puts the line between Section 19 and 20 in about the same place... the parcel east of the Epcot parking lot and the parcel along Bonnet Creek Blvd across the street from Port Orleans. It does rule out the parcel north of the intersection of Vista Blvd and Bonnet Creek Parkway - the details for that property place it in a different section (not 19 or 20).

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
11/30/09 Update

After a long Thanksgiving weekend, and on the last day of the month, WDW filed a whopping 3 permits today.

They're replacing the exterior windows at the Stage 1 Company Store outside Muppets.

They're replacing a heat exchanger at a Coronado pool.

And, they're beginning a guest room refurb at Pop, Building 1.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom