WDW Permits Part 3

WDW Vacationer

Well, these linked documents are actually called "Notice of Commencement" in Florida (as opposed to Building Permits in other states). This means that these documents are filed when Disney is planning to start the work, as opposed to asking for permission.

That means the refurb is probably starting now-ish, and will take a week or two - my guess.

I hope it is done in November.

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
10-20-09 Update

Sorry for my tardiness. I'm in the world right now. I'm sitting here in our MK-view 2-BR Villa at BLT....it's a little distracting! Plus, I'm on a laptop, so there are probably plenty of type-os.

They're replacing a lot of air handlers (blowers for Air Conditioning) in the MK.

Some painting at POFQ, and some sidewalk replacement at POR.

And, they're repairing the CO2 sensors at Fountain of Nations. Any idea why you need to monitor CO2 in a fountain? I've never heard of that.

BigB911

Sorry for my tardiness. I'm in the world right now. I'm sitting here in our MK-view 2-BR Villa at BLT....it's a little distracting! Plus, I'm on a laptop, so there are probably plenty of type-os.

They're replacing a lot of air handlers (blowers for Air Conditioning) in the MK.

Some painting at POFQ, and some sidewalk replacement at POR.

And, they're repairing the CO2 sensors at Fountain of Nations. Any idea why you need to monitor CO2 in a fountain? I've never heard of that.

Could the CO2 be used to shoot the blasts of water into the air? If that's the case, then a monitor would be needed to control the pressure of the blasts. Just my uneducated guess. Enjoy your stay!

Figment1986

...and some "truss, curtain and electrical" work at Soundstage 1. Hmmm.

considering how they currently like to use it as a seasonal store for select events.. perhaps they are installing new curtain rods to cover up some stuff to make it look nicer till they make up their minds on what to put in there... Right now it looks exactly like a empty and gutted sound stage, that cannot be used for production anymore.

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
Could the CO2 be used to shoot the blasts of water into the air? If that's the case, then a monitor would be needed to control the pressure of the blasts. Just my uneducated guess. Enjoy your stay!

Yup! I thought of this first thing this AM when we walked past FoN at Epcot. "Of course! CO2 to shoot the water!"

PhilharMagician

Yup! I thought of this first thing this AM when we walked past FoN at Epcot. "Of course! CO2 to shoot the water!"

I guess they could, but if they are not using just compressed air then I would think they would just plain nitrogen. Nitrogen is much cheaper than CO2 and the air you breath is approx 79% nitrogen.

LCO2 is used for fogging areas. Think of PI when they used to have the fog effects they just use cryogenic CO2.

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
I guess they could, but if they are not using just compressed air then I would think they would just plain nitrogen. Nitrogen is much cheaper than CO2 and the air you breath is approx 79% nitrogen.

LCO2 is used for fogging areas. Think of PI when they used to have the fog effects they just use cryogenic CO2.

Hmmm, another excellent point. Other jumping fountains (Bellagio) use compressed air - just regular air pumped into a tank and compressed. I guess it would be silly to pay for air when they make machines that collect it for free.

I wonder what they use CO2 for then. Hmmm...

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
10/22/09 Update

Permits pulled for a few obscure locations today, including work at Mickey's Retreat (the Cast recreation area) and roof work at Centra Care, near Downtown Disney.

More work at Typhoon Lagoon and Pop Century's pool.

Some demolition at the PI Live Bridge and Mannequins at Pleasure Island.

Lastly, they're replacing three water valves in Tomorrowland. They're indicated as being in the Bench Coatings area of the land, which is a strange way of saying "the open space between CoP and Fantasyland," I think.

vonpluto

Permits pulled for a few obscure locations today, including work at Mickey's Retreat (the Cast recreation area) and roof work at Centra Care, near Downtown Disney.

More work at Typhoon Lagoon and Pop Century's pool.

Some demolition at the PI Live Bridge and Mannequins at Pleasure Island.

Lastly, they're replacing three water valves in Tomorrowland. They're indicated as being in the Bench Coatings area of the land, which is a strange way of saying "the open space between CoP and Fantasyland," I think.

Notice that on the drawing the project name is hand written, while all other info is typed or printed. Also the drawing is dated 3/05 while the NOC is dated 10/09. The water valve locations are not shown which is strange. It could be this has something to do with the possible water feature at the Skyway Station.:shrug:

Googling the contractor listed on the PI Live permit shows involvement in the following:
DTD
Fuego Cigar bar
Basin
Magic Masters
Wetzel Pretzel
Lego
Puck's Express

Other
Enclosing Theater in the Wild
Cast Members Wardrobe Facility
Sports & Music Room Reno
The Wave

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
Notice that on the drawing the project name is hand written, while all other info is typed or printed. Also the drawing is dated 3/05 while the NOC is dated 10/09. The water valve locations are not shown which is strange. It could be this has something to do with the possible water feature at the Skyway Station.:shrug:

Googling the contractor listed on the PI Live permit shows involvement in the following:
DTD
Fuego Cigar bar
Basin
Magic Masters
Wetzel Pretzel
Lego
Puck's Express

Other
Enclosing Theater in the Wild
Cast Members Wardrobe Facility
Sports & Music Room Reno
The Wave

They probably had used this exact drawing before and were just able to white-out the project name and write it in to save time. Those drawings are very time consuming to produce.

They only show the "work area" on these drawings. That's all they're required to do. They don't ever indicate specific work.

Adler Mechanical does a lot of work for Disney. Seems as though they do plumbing and mechanical piping. Perhaps even HVAC.

They are more than likely replacing old water valves that have always been under concrete in the common area in TL, and which will be going right back to being buried under concrete. You can see where all of their hundreds of water valves are as you walk through the parks because they have rectangular metal lids that way WATER or WATER VALVE.

This work may or may not have anything to do with the possible new fountain - it could just be coincidence. We'll see!

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
10/27/09 Update

After a few days without any new permits filed, they posted some today. Just a bit of maintenance at POFQ.

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
10/29/09 Update

Replacing caulking in sidewalk control joints in World Showcase.

Working on erosion control at Magnolia Golf Course.

mrerk

Premium Member
Hmmm, another excellent point. Other jumping fountains (Bellagio) use compressed air - just regular air pumped into a tank and compressed. I guess it would be silly to pay for air when they make machines that collect it for free.

I wonder what they use CO2 for then. Hmmm...

I think the CO2 is for the "fog" you sometimes see on the water.

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
11/02/09 Update

Post 1 hit its maximum characters, perfectly at the end of 2 months. November begins in Post #2.

A couple new HVAC units in one of the electronics rooms at SSE & relocating a hot water pipe in Italy.

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
11/06/09 Update

Another busy day in the world. Mostly electrical work. Also went back and added an entry on 11/05 for a DWWS Sign Foundation that was just posted.

I need some help on the 2nd item added today, which I've called "Pluto Parking Lot". On the actual permit it's called NSA PLUTO PARK, and the address gets pinned near the AAA Car Center on Google Maps. Did I guess right, or is there a secret park just for the NSA?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom