WDW Permits Part 3

DisneyParksFan1

After a long Thanksgiving weekend, and on the last day of the month, WDW filed a whopping 3 permits today.

They're replacing the exterior windows at the Stage 1 Company Store outside Muppets.

They're replacing a heat exchanger at a Coronado pool.

And, they're beginning a guest room refurb at Pop, Building 1.

Replacing? Do you mean like a totally new one? Or the same one just in a new condition?

Brian_WDW74

Not sure if this is the link Master Yoda is talking about, but it gives lat/long for townships/ranges/sections: http://www.earthpoint.us/Townships.aspx

Plugging in the data, and looking at the points on the line between Section 19 and 20, the line runs from about the intersection of Bonnet Creek Parkway and Vista Boulevard due south to a point in the trees between the Epcot parking lot, Epcot Center Drive, and Backstage Lane.

If the numbers and lat/long are right, that would put the new pet care center either off the extreme east side of the Epcot parking lot, somewhere along Bonnet Creek Parkway opposite Port Orleans Riverside, or right near the intersection of Bonnet Creek Parkway and Vista Boulevard (part of the development there perhaps?).

Someone check my calculations and see if you come up with the same points!

Edit: Best Friends Pet Care, the listed owner on the paperwork, is the company that operates the kennels in WDW already. http://www.bestfriendspetcare.com Nothing on their site about a new location.

I believe this is the new "luxury pet resort" that was announced when Best Friends Pet Care took over the kennels:
Pet guests will enjoy such amenities as luxury suites with television and raised bedding, activities such as nature walks and playgroups, and pampering services ranging from ice cream treats to bedtime stories. The state-of-the-art facility will be located on Bonnett Creek Parkway in Walt Disney World Resort and is expected to open in 2010.
The full press release is here: http://www.wdwnews.com/ViewPressRelease.aspx?PressReleaseID=109151

nepalostparks

I believe this is the new "luxury pet resort" that was announced when Best Friends Pet Care took over the kennels:
Pet guests will enjoy such amenities as luxury suites with television and raised bedding, activities such as nature walks and playgroups, and pampering services ranging from ice cream treats to bedtime stories. The state-of-the-art facility will be located on Bonnett Creek Parkway in Walt Disney World Resort and is expected to open in 2010.
The full press release is here: http://www.wdwnews.com/ViewPressRelease.aspx?PressReleaseID=109151

That's gotta be it then, the placement along Bonnet Creek Parkway across from Port Orleans Riverside is the right spot then. Thanks for providing the info!

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
Actually, if you look through that one, they listed all 10 guest room buildings. (The filing is 11 pages long, one building per page)

-Rob

Ack! Nice catch. It was late and I...er...:lookaroun Anyway, I updated the link to say Buildings 1-10. Thanks!

That's gotta be it then, the placement along Bonnet Creek Parkway across from Port Orleans Riverside is the right spot then. Thanks for providing the info!

I updated the location to BONNET CREEK PKWY, so at least it's better than "Somewhere" :)

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
12/01/09 Update

Busy day....

Lots of paving at the MK and Wild Lodge. I foresee a LOT of night work since they're re-paving the MK entrance/exit roads and a tram lane.

Also, they're re-paving something called "Park 3 Canal Road". I couldn't find it on any maps. From the faint outlines on the survey, I hypothesize that it's behind Splash and Pirates. Anyone know?

A security improvement in France.

Some new loading dock doors at the Contemp.

Lastly, I can't put my finger on some work at the MK. It's described as "North Site Development: D/B Facility Package." The address listed comes up on Bing near the Fire Station behind the MK, while it comes up a but further south (near turn in road, toward tunnel entrance) on Google. Any idea what D/B stands for?

nepalostparks

Also, they're re-paving something called "Park 3 Canal Road". I couldn't find it on any maps. From the faint outlines on the survey, I hypothesize that it's behind Splash and Pirates. Anyone know?

Looking at the lines and checking it against the maps, you're spot on.

Lastly, I can't put my finger on some work at the MK. It's described as "North Site Development: D/B Facility Package." The address listed comes up on Bing near the Fire Station behind the MK, while it comes up a but further south (near turn in road, toward tunnel entrance) on Google. Any idea what D/B stands for?

I think D/B stands for Design & Build. Construction, the company on the permit, does design, contracting and building work. Looks like they do some big projects too.

Couple other things I noticed:

The owner info is listed as "Walt Disney Imagineering", not just "Walt Disney World Resort". Looking back at other permits, it looks like the Imagineering Dept corresponds with attraction based permits (like the recent ones for additions to Innoventions in Epcot.) "Walt Disney World Resort" as the owner usually corresponds to more mundane things - carpentry, electrical, paving, etc.

Also, the expiration date for the permit is August 31, 2011... thats 21 months... pretty long time. So this "Design and Build Facilities Package" is probably not some quick refurb or other project.

I'd be willing to bet this is the first permit for the Fantasyland expansion.

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
Looking at the lines and checking it against the maps, you're spot on.

Yeah, the survey shows buildings to the right and a fencerow to the left - similar to that NW corner of property behind MK West.

I think D/B stands for Design & Build. Construction, the company on the permit, does design, contracting and building work. Looks like they do some big projects too.

Couple other things I noticed:

The owner info is listed as "Walt Disney Imagineering", not just "Walt Disney World Resort". Looking back at other permits, it looks like the Imagineering Dept corresponds with attraction based permits (like the recent ones for additions to Innoventions in Epcot.) "Walt Disney World Resort" as the owner usually corresponds to more mundane things - carpentry, electrical, paving, etc.

Also, the expiration date for the permit is August 31, 2011... thats 21 months... pretty long time. So this "Design and Build Facilities Package" is probably not some quick refurb or other project.

I'd be willing to bet this is the first permit for the Fantasyland expansion.

I thought of D/B as Design-Build also (we do a lot of that here at my company too)...but then I wondered why they'd identify it as such on a permit. That's "method of delivery" and not "description of project" but whoever filled it out may have just seen the working title of the design or in-house project name and just put it on there. Or, they're trying to be vague for those of us who snoop too much.

Good catch on the WDI vs WDW thing. I guess we'll see if anything follow suit in the near future.

DisneyParksFan1

I think that's the first permit for the Fantasyland Expansion as well. Could be that they are "Designing and Building" the things for the Expansion. The props, etc.

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
I think that's the first permit for the Fantasyland Expansion as well. Could be that they are "Designing and Building" the things for the Expansion. The props, etc.

The more I think about it, the more I agree that it sounds like an actual building. They use the term "package" a lot in their permits when they want to lump a lot of stuff together without getting specific.

This one probably means "D/B Facility" package - as in, a permit for the entire package including everything necessary for a "D/B Facility". Aug 2011 would put us at or close to the completion time for Mermaid and much of New FL.

I'm straining my little brain trying to think of any other terms for D/B other than "Design-Build". I wouldn't think they'd actually design anything in this facility, since that will all be done (or is already close to done) at WDI.

Maybe they're building a permanent or temporary construction office that will remain there throughout the project. It would be a handy location.

DisneyParksFan1

The more I think about it, the more I agree that it sounds like an actual building. They use the term "package" a lot in their permits when they want to lump a lot of stuff together without getting specific.

This one probably means "D/B Facility" package - as in, a permit for the entire package including everything necessary for a "D/B Facility". Aug 2011 would put us at or close to the completion time for Mermaid and much of New FL.

I'm straining my little brain trying to think of any other terms for D/B other than "Design-Build". I wouldn't think they'd actually design anything in this facility, since that will all be done (or is already close to done) at WDI.

Maybe they're building a permanent or temporary construction office that will remain there throughout the project. It would be a handy location.

I was thinking that as well. Maybe a place where they can meet up to discuss this, or actually design things like the facades, etc.

The more I look into this, the more excited I get. I also agree with Aug. 2011 to be the tentative date when much of the Fantasyland Expansion will be nearing completion.

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
I was thinking that as well. Maybe a place where they can meet up to discuss this, or actually design things like the facades, etc.

The more I look into this, the more excited I get. I also agree with Aug. 2011 to be the tentative date when much of the Fantasyland Expansion will be nearing completion.

Well, we're going to have to rely on some insiders (MK CM's) to let us know if something starts back there. I imagine it will go closer to the Fire Station, since the bend in the road is awfully close to Beast Mountain.

nepalostparks

I was thinking this as well. The address it gives would put it around the security checkpoint there by the fire station - they could easily throw up a trailer or two on the grass opposite the fire station.

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
Yeah will most likely have to rely on CMs. And what do you mean by "Beast Mountain" and it being close to the curve?

By "Beast Mountain" I meant the new Beauty and the Beast area, which is supposed to have a Beast Castle up on a hill/mountain. But my placement was off - that's going to be more behind Pinnochio's, near the tunnel entrance.

The curve in the road is where Center Drive turns west and becomes Magic Kingdom Drive behind ToonTown. Google placed the posted address down by that turn, but Bing put it more up by the Fire Station. I was just saying that I predict it would be more toward the FS to allow for staging area and a buffer zone behind the construction.

Exprcoofto

That certainly looks like a permit for the FL Expansion. I'm wondering if they will try to get Phase 1 open for WDW's 40th, 10/1/11. :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom