WDW Permits Part 3

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
AoA Construction Begins

The official "permit" for the new Art of Animation Resort was filed today.

It includes a total of 18 buildings, as follows:

Bldg 1
Bldg 2
Bldg 3
Bldg 4
Bldg 5
Bldg 6
Bldg 7
Bldg 8
Bldg 9
Bldg 10
Bldg 11: Laundry & Restrooms
Bldg 12: Pool Equipment
Bldg 13: Laundry & Restrooms
Bldg 14: Pool Equipment
Bldg 15: Laundry & Restrooms
Bldg 16: Pool Equipment
Bldg 17: Commercial Building
Bldg 18: Linen Building

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
05/25/10 Update

It appears that they have yet again filed permits for work in Soundstage 1 at DHS. These are the same permits they have filed a couple of times before, but these are noted to specifically expire on June 30, 2010.

Work includes "structural work for truss & curtains" and "electrical".

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
06/01/10 Update

Busy start to June.

There were 3 permits filed containing multiple locations, which is odd.

Two of them were electrical, filed by two different electrical contractors. Each consisted of "electrical upgrades" to several very specific locations throughout the parks.

Another combo was for several restroom refurbs around the GF property.

Some structural work being done at the RnRC unload platform and Animation Tour "Masking Screen".

SeaCastle

Two permits filed yesterday by Imagineering for a TTA signage package. The nomenclature on the permit listed it as "PeopleMover", so either it's getting a name change or no one bothered to update the name (more likely).

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
Two permits filed yesterday by Imagineering for a TTA signage package. The nomenclature on the permit listed it as "PeopleMover", so either it's getting a name change or no one bothered to update the name (more likely).

Often times on these permits they'll use the original name of a ride, attraction or land. They pull the legal descriptions form the master land survey files, which all reflect the name first given to something, since it (almost literally) takes an act of congress to change the Recorded name of a legal piece of property or structure.

So, while they are indeed putting up some new signs, they'll still be for TTA and not for WedWay, unfortunately.

SeaCastle

Often times on these permits they'll use the original name of a ride, attraction or land. They pull the legal descriptions form the master land survey files, which all reflect the name first given to something, since it (almost literally) takes an act of congress to change the Recorded name of a legal piece of property or structure.

So, while they are indeed putting up some new signs, they'll still be for TTA and not for WedWay, unfortunately.

I've seen this happen before, but in the case of this permit "Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin" was used instead of "If You Could Fly" or "Dreamflight" as I've seen it refer to. I'm not disagreeing with you, just pointing it out. :wave:

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
I've seen this happen before, but in the case of this permit "Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin" was used instead of "If You Could Fly" or "Dreamflight" as I've seen it refer to. I'm not disagreeing with you, just pointing it out. :wave:

It also depends on who files the permit and where they got their map data.

For example, the Buzz permit was filed by Stephen Murphy at the Magic Kingdom. His application included a survey prepared by Reedy Creek, which shows the current names of some things (TTA and Buzz), but old names for others (Hub Restaurant 2 & Timekeeper).

Likewise, Lance Hansen at Imagineering filed the one for the Peoplemover Signs, and did not include a survey, just an address.

I've seen surveys that do actually have correct information, but many others that refer to the original names (i.e. Land of the Living Seas, Communicore, Enchanted Tiki Room, etc).

I love seeing the ones with old names - it takes me back to the "good ol days".

SeaCastle

It also depends on who files the permit and where they got their map data.

For example, the Buzz permit was filed by Stephen Murphy at the Magic Kingdom. His application included a survey prepared by Reedy Creek, which shows the current names of some things (TTA and Buzz), but old names for others (Hub Restaurant 2 & Timekeeper).

Likewise, Lance Hansen at Imagineering filed the one for the Peoplemover Signs, and did not include a survey, just an address.

I've seen surveys that do actually have correct information, but many others that refer to the original names (i.e. Land of the Living Seas, Communicore, Enchanted Tiki Room, etc).

I love seeing the ones with old names - it takes me back to the "good ol days".

Thanks for pointing that out. (My mistake, again.) I forgot that Imagineering never includes surveys with their permits. :lol:

I must say, though, it is nice to see the older names. But most of all I want to master CAD files in my possession. :cool:

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
Thanks for pointing that out. (My mistake, again.) I forgot that Imagineering never includes surveys with their permits. :lol:

I must say, though, it is nice to see the older names. But most of all I want to master CAD files in my possession. :cool:

For a few brief moments, when I had a lapse in sanity, I thought about starting an AutoCAD drawing and plopping buildings into it as they came across on permits.

The process would be mind-numbing, but it would be possible since they give a text description of property and building corners, referenced from Section corners (which are fixed in the world). It would be time consuming and would require setting up the entire Orange and Osceola County survey grids in the drawing first.

Plus, since they don't attach a survey to every permit, it would take years to actually assemble something useful. But it would be darn cool.

But then I regained sanity and realized it's hard enough keeping this thread updated. The last thing I need to do is start yet another project I can't finish :lol:

SeaCastle

For a few brief moments, when I had a lapse in sanity, I thought about starting an AutoCAD drawing and plopping buildings into it as they came across on permits.

The process would be mind-numbing, but it would be possible since they give a text description of property and building corners, referenced from Section corners (which are fixed in the world). It would be time consuming and would require setting up the entire Orange and Osceola County survey grids in the drawing first.

Plus, since they don't attach a survey to every permit, it would take years to actually assemble something useful. But it would be darn cool.

But then I regained sanity and realized it's hard enough keeping this thread updated. The last thing I need to do is start yet another project I can't finish :lol:

Oddly enough, when sorting through permits today I had the exact same thought. One could make a new plate for each park, then trace over the survey maps in a new layer. Or, like you said, one could hypothetically make a grid with corners representing the sections.

Another difficulty, though, would be that each map is on a different scale from the other...while one (like The Land pavilion) was on a scale of 1-60, the Buzz one (I believe) is 1-30.

I think I found a weekend project. :lol:

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
Oddly enough, when sorting through permits today I had the exact same thought. One could make a new plate for each park, then trace over the survey maps in a new layer. Or, like you said, one could hypothetically make a grid with corners representing the sections.

Another difficulty, though, would be that each map is on a different scale from the other...while one (like The Land pavilion) was on a scale of 1-60, the Buzz one (I believe) is 1-30.

I think I found a weekend project. :lol:

The way I was going to do it was to actually use the legal description from the surveys. They give you a starting point (point of beginning) and it's referenced from a section corner. Then they show the directions and lengths of each side of the polygon, which you can type right into CAD.

Or, you could just import them as raster images, scale them up accordingly, and trace. Much faster, but less accurate.

Either way, would make for a very long weekend (or weekends)! :p

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The address from this permit is 1458 Magic Kingdom Dr. Looking at previous permits, Ariel's Grotto is/was 1456 Magic Kingdom Dr, and Pinocchio's Village house is 1454. So this could be one of the bridges between the Beauty and the Beast and Cinderella areas.

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
The address from this permit is 1458 Magic Kingdom Dr. Looking at previous permits, Ariel's Grotto is/was 1456 Magic Kingdom Dr, and Pinocchio's Village house is 1454. So this could be one of the bridges between the Beauty and the Beast and Cinderella areas.

I think you're right. There are 2 bridges near each other. As you head NE from the castle, you'd cross one to get to mermaid, or turn left and cross one to get to B&B.

Since they've pulled permits specifically for the B&B area, I imagine it's that bridge.

kashmir

The way I was going to do it was to actually use the legal description from the surveys. They give you a starting point (point of beginning) and it's referenced from a section corner. Then they show the directions and lengths of each side of the polygon, which you can type right into CAD.

Or, you could just import them as raster images, scale them up accordingly, and trace. Much faster, but less accurate.

Either way, would make for a very long weekend (or weekends)! :p

I'd love to see this in a book...Then and Now! I'd buy that book, too!

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
07/14/10 Update

Several permits filed by Buena Vista Construction Company (aka, Disney's own forces). Descriptions and locations are vague as usual, but the MK ones got my attention....

One for 1394 Magic Kingdom Drive in Fantasyland. As usual, it's just for "construction", with no specific description of the work. However, the address corresponds to the address for Dumbo (refer to information two paragraphs down).

Another is for "NGE Work" at Space Mountain. Immediately my mind went to "Next Generation [Something]" but that's probably wishful thinking, since nothing that starts with "E" fits the bill. Probably stands for something else...something boring :p

The last MK one is for "Dumbo: Fastpass Clock" and the address given is 1394 MK Drive (refer to two paragraphs up). What confuses me the most is that Dumbo isn't a Fastpass attraction. And I can't imagine that they're adding Fastpass to Dumbo...and even if they are, why would they invest the money before it gets moved west during FLE?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom