WDW Permits Part 3

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
here is an article about pigeon release

Tuesday, 31 May 2005

Disney ends pigeon release program

Call it the circle of life -- hungry hawks swooping in and devouring the pigeons released in a flourish at shows and weddings throughout Disney World.

The pigeons, used in shows such as Cinderella's Surprise Celebration at the Magic Kingdom and Beauty and the Beast at Disney-MGM Studios, became sitting ducks when red-tailed hawks figured out they could count on an easy meal at the same time every day.

But disturbed by the thought of sending the birds to almost certain death, Disney this week stopped releasing the homing pigeons -- ending a tradition that began about 30 years ago.

During the shows, the birds soared over the parks before returning to nearby roosts. It was during these flights that the defenseless birds were grabbed by the hawks' sharp talons, Disney spokeswoman Diane Ledder said.

It was only recently that the savvy hawks began snatching the birds, Ledder said. No visitors complained about seeing the midair attacks, she added.

Red-tailed hawks, with their wingspread of about 50 inches, thrive in the undisturbed wilderness around the Disney parks, said Geri Hylander, education and volunteer program coordinator at the Audubon Center for Birds of Prey in Maitland.

Hylander said the hawks aren't especially aggressive, but "they're opportunistic."

"When you release a group of birds like that," she said of Disney's pigeons, "it's an invitation to a meal."

Facing an enemy that large and determined, the comparatively frail pigeons, with their wingspreads of about 15 inches, didn't stand a chance. Disney wouldn't say how many birds were killed.

Red-tailed hawks, the largest found in Central Florida, are a protected species, meaning it's illegal to disturb them without the permission of state wildlife officials.

Disney didn't consider trying to move the hawks, Ledder said. "If you looked at trapping and relocating them, they'd probably be back."

So, this week, Disney officials decided "it wasn't fair to the pigeons to keep releasing them," Ledder said.

Disney is now trying to find homes for about 200 surviving pigeons. Ledder said it will reassign the five employees who had been in charge of the birds.

Red-tailed hawks typically eat smaller birds, snakes and rodents. No word on whether Mickey is in any danger

Ha! Very nice!

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
After the 3rd day of permits, i gave up reading this. any work that isn't routine maintenance?

Currently....not really.

If it makes it easier for you, I try to update this daily, and I only add a new post to the end of the thread if there are permits that actually sound interesting. So, you could just look on the News & Rumors board and see if it shows new posts.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No

Thanks much...but forgive...for some reason I still cannot find it manually on the boards....I take it this new permit thread NOT a sticky....looked under News and Rumors and the Fantasyland Expansion subforum.....

Tom is this new one replacing this one....as your official permit thread #4? Sorry for the confusion on my part....looking for shortcut other than reverting back to this thread to find new one.....thank you!:king:

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
Thanks much...but forgive...for some reason I still cannot find it manually on the boards....I take it this new permit thread NOT a sticky....looked under News and Rumors and the Fantasyland Expansion subforum.....

Tom is this new one replacing this one....as your official permit thread #4? Sorry for the confusion on my part....looking for shortcut other than reverting back to this thread to find new one.....thank you!:king:

It's in the News and Rumors Board, but it's last post was on Feb 28, so you may have to scroll back several pages to find it. The title of the Thread is "Fantasyland Expansion Officially Begins".

And no, the link/the thread I just mentioned, are merely discussions on the actual permits filed for the new FL project. This thread, where you are reading this post, is still the active Permit thread for ALL WDW permits.

I'm currently updating Post #4 with March permits (due to the 30,000 character limit on posts). Just bookmark this thread and scroll to Post #4 http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=497833

:wave:

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Ah now I see the method to your madness...:lol:....:D. Will remember to watch reserved areas for future developments...thanks for clarifying!:animwink: Carry on....nothing to see here just a formerly confused fairy....:lookaroun.

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
Ah now I see the method to your madness...:lol:....:D. Will remember to watch reserved areas for future developments...thanks for clarifying!:animwink: Carry on....nothing to see here just a formerly confused fairy....:lookaroun.

Don't worry, confusion is never-ending in life :)

Also, you can look at the sticky for this thread at the top of the board listing and see if there are new posts. If there are permit that I think are actually exciting, I'll add a post just to bump it.

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
03/30/10 Update

Well, it seems as if they're preparing to make the upgrades to ToT.

They filed this notice today: ToT: Electrical work

It was filed by Ermco, which is Disney's primary electrical contractor. I can only assume this is the beginning of their lighting upgrades.

Also, they're planning to renovate the 3rd floor of American Adventure. I guess this won't affect the attraction.

SeaCastle

Space Mountain (4950 N. World Drive) just had minor construction work done on it. I guess they're not finished with it yet.

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
that electric and "carpentry" work at PI has me intrigued. THey didn't provide a location like they have in other permits. Even the mannequins stair removal had location documentation.

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
04/06/10 Update

Apparently they're doing some "site development" at the old StolPort air strip.

And, lots of guest room refurbs at OKW.

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
Contractor on that one is Construction, same one that is on other Fantasyland Expansion permits. I wonder if they will be using a part of the old airstrip for staging and what not.

Good catch. You're probably right. WDI was working on the office trailers at the north end of StolPort back in January, so I bet they use that area for the major offices and staging/lay-down area.

RSoxNo1

Apparently they're doing some "site development" at the old StolPort air strip.

And, lots of guest room refurbs at OKW.

Lou Mongello will be excited. The last time he put out a real rumor was saying that they're building a hotel on the old StolPort air strip. This turned out to be Bay Lake Tower

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
Beginning of May

The first day of a new month (and onto reserved post #5), but nothing too exciting. A new sign at Backlot Express and some work at a Disney Visa photo location in Epcot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom