WDW Permits 2015

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
The third one is also interesting, it would connect Flamingo Crossing to 545.

Capture.JPG

Tink28

I apologise if this question has been asked before but why does Disney have to apply for permits to build on their own property?

jt04

I apologise if this question has been asked before but why does Disney have to apply for permits to build on their own property?

Science.

Actually it is the same reason anyone needs a permit to build anything. And science.

wdw71fan

Hope it's okay I post a quick update in this thread, as I came across a somewhat interesting permit filed with the SFWMD today for "Exploratory Geotechnical Borings" at three locations around WDW's property. From the permit's description, the borings are for new potential roadways throughout the resort:

Of the three boring locations, two of them are particularly interesting. The first location follows the path of the rumored Floridian Way extension, which has been previously discussed as becoming a new North entrance to property, connecting to the new road/intersection behind the Cast Member parking lot alleviating traffic on Center Dr. and allowing for traffic flow during the nightly fireworks:

To hopefully put this to bed as a rumor.. This is absolutely happening.. With a traffic signal being installed at the new Floridian/Reams intersection, it was confirmed to Orange county nearly 2 years ago and the Orange county board of county commissioners voted to pay for the orange county portion of the roadway improvements (mostly revolving around the intersection itself)

Jahona

Not sure if there is any point in my continuing to check the SFWMD permits since more often then not lately someone else beats me to it. :(

I appreciate the work you are doing.

Mainly politics. You can read up on the history of Reedy Creek here: http://www.rcid.org/About.aspx

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster

I assume you question actually is, why does Disney need to file permits when they have their owner government (RCID), that is a question someone else will probably be able to answer better then I can, maybe @Tom.

As for the documents I post in this thread, these are actually notices of commencement even though we call them permits. NOC's are required by the state of Florida and mainly have to do with assuring that the contractor get's paid when the work is complete. The other permits that get posted here are from the South Florida Water Management District which also at more of a state level. The permits are to be sure a property owner isn't doing something that would disrupt the larger storm water control system in the state.

Tink28

Thanks for the info, I guess I just thought you could just build on property you owned but as a Brit I don't know anything about American planning/building regulations etc, I have learnt something today!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the info, I guess I just thought you could just build on property you owned but as a Brit I don't know anything about American planning/building regulations etc, I have learnt something today!

Yes, in the US you have to have a construction permit to build something even on property you own. This also ties in with inspections that have to happen on the work.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
The US Army Corps of Engineers is sending out notices to Golden Oak homeowners about the proposed expansion of roads throughout WDW. Here's the notice, with maps. Part of the notice concerns wetlands impacts. I'm also surprised to see another 28-acre expansion of Flamingo Crossing.

This isn't specifically about roads but is related to the permit Disney filed with the South Florida Water Management District last year. There is a thread about it here:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/wetland-use-expansion-permit.888031/

The permit is to add some land Disney already owns to the water management master plan as well as the new Mira Lago site. They are also asking to increase the amount of allowable wetland impacts across the property. This permit still hasn't been approved because they are still waiting for more information from Disney.

Not sure where you saw the 28-acre expansion of Flamingo Crossing? There are some lands out there that are being included in the master plan, but they aren't specifically associated with Flamingo Crossing.

lentesta

Premium Member
This isn't specifically about roads but is related to the permit Disney filed with the South Florida Water Management District last year. There is a thread about it here:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/wetland-use-expansion-permit.888031/

The permit is to add some land Disney already owns to the water management master plan as well as the new Mira Lago site. They are also asking to increase the amount of allowable wetland impacts across the property. This permit still hasn't been approved because they are still waiting for more information from Disney.

Not sure where you saw the 28-acre expansion of Flamingo Crossing? There are some lands out there that are being included in the master plan, but they aren't specifically associated with Flamingo Crossing.

It's the 7th page of the images - a note about 28 acres being impacted when 0 are approved. I could be completely wrong.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom