WDW Permits 2013

Tom

Beta Return
A lot of permits today and some interesting ones.

- Bunch of paving permits for various locations around the property including around AK Lodge, Vista Way, Osecola Parkway Extension, and Blizzard Beach.
- Permit for some work on the Fantasmic Stage

- This permit for electrical in computer networking rooms at a building over by Universal. MM+ number crunchers?

7100 Municipal Drive - Install electrical panels and outlets in Lan Rooms 1-5

- Couple permits for the Poly Rehab. These are all for Balfour Beatty Construction and expire in April of 2015.

1460,1462,1464,1466,1468,1470,1472,1474,1476,1478,1480,1482,1484,1486,1488,1490,1492,1494,1496,1498 Seven Seas Dr - Structures for the Poly Rehab
1500 Seven Seas Dr - Maintenance Bldg for the Poly Rehab
1520 Seven Seas Dr - Room Rehab in Building 10
1530 Seven Seas Dr - Room Rehab in Building 11

7100 Municipal Drive is the "secret location" of the primary Disney Reservation Center. They could very well have one of their MM+ data centers there, but this is likely just standard electrical upgrades.

Who was the contractor for the first rounds of Poly room refurbs? Was it Balfour Beatty?

PeterAlt

A lot of permits today and some interesting ones.

- Bunch of paving permits for various locations around the property including around AK Lodge, Vista Way, Osecola Parkway Extension, and Blizzard Beach.
- Permit for some work on the Fantasmic Stage

- This permit for electrical in computer networking rooms at a building over by Universal. MM+ number crunchers?

7100 Municipal Drive - Install electrical panels and outlets in Lan Rooms 1-5

- Couple permits for the Poly Rehab. These are all for Balfour Beatty Construction and expire in April of 2015.

1460,1462,1464,1466,1468,1470,1472,1474,1476,1478,1480,1482,1484,1486,1488,1490,1492,1494,1496,1498 Seven Seas Dr - Structures for the Poly Rehab
1500 Seven Seas Dr - Maintenance Bldg for the Poly Rehab
1520 Seven Seas Dr - Room Rehab in Building 10
1530 Seven Seas Dr - Room Rehab in Building 11
I looked up 7100 Municipal Dr and sure enough it's a small peice of undeveloped property right next too Universal. Is this one of many loose non-continuous properties that Disney owns scattered throughout metro-Orlando? I always wondered about these properties: (1) if Disney still owned them, and (2) where they were exactly. I asked about it here a while ago and the answer I got was that they remained undeveloped parcels and count towards the State's nature reserve requirement imposed on Disney. I see now that Disney can develop these. Interesting. Also interesting is how the RCID seems to still have juristication over them, while they are clearly islands outside of the RCID and inside metropolitan Orlando.

The fact that they own land literally almost touching the Universal properties and the heart of I-Drive means that, if someone at Disney wanted to get creative, they can start a little trouble by putting a Disney-something right at the heart of Universal country!

Tom

Beta Return
This is not that property, but almost borders it. It's way too small to put an attraction there.

I looked it up and it shows that Walt Disney Travel has a long-term lease on it from what I'm assuming is a Disney real estate holding company subsidiary. Disney may have sold it but remains it's only lease?

Scroll up four posts! I clearly stated that the address is the Disney Rservation Center. If you call 407-WDISNEY it goes there. If you book any land-based Disney vacation, its booked there. Its a huge building and they occupy most, if not all of it.

The end.

PeterAlt

Scroll up four posts! I clearly stated that the address is the Disney Rservation Center. If you call 407-WDISNEY it goes there. If you book any land-based Disney vacation, its booked there. Its a huge building and they occupy most, if not all of it.

The end.
I was talking about the land. I already mentioned Disney was the lessee of the property. The question is if the company that owns the land is a Disney subsidiary, or if Disney sold the land and now just leases office space, like they did in Celebrations? This permit raises a lot of questions, like where are the real boundaries of the RCID? Is it authorized to have jurisdiction of these island properties? If Disney no longer owns the land, is the RCID jurisdiction extended because Disney has a leased interest? Does it need to be annexed? Would annexation be illegal because of the State's territory contiguity rule? This is far from 'The End'.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I looked up 7100 Municipal Dr and sure enough it's a small peice of undeveloped property right next too Universal. Is this one of many loose non-continuous properties that Disney owns scattered throughout metro-Orlando? I always wondered about these properties: (1) if Disney still owned them, and (2) where they were exactly. I asked about it here a while ago and the answer I got was that they remained undeveloped parcels and count towards the State's nature reserve requirement imposed on Disney. I see now that Disney can develop these. Interesting. Also interesting is how the RCID seems to still have juristication over them, while they are clearly islands outside of the RCID and inside metropolitan Orlando.

The fact that they own land literally almost touching the Universal properties and the heart of I-Drive means that, if someone at Disney wanted to get creative, they can start a little trouble by putting a Disney-something right at the heart of Universal country!

I am not sure what piece of property you are looking at, but if you search for it on Google maps you can see that it isn't undeveloped property, just a small single story office building and it is not "right next to Universal", it's about 1/2 mile away from the nearest spot on the Uni property. The property is owned by AAA Global Investment Inc out of Passadena California. Here is the tax record for this property:

http://www.ocpafl.org/searches/ParcelSearch.aspx?pid=292330278900010

Besides this one they own another commercial property in the area and two residential properties, one of which appears to have been a foreclosure. So I am guessing that they are just a real-estate investment company.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I was talking about the land. I already mentioned Disney was the lessee of the property. The question is if the company that owns the land is a Disney subsidiary, or if Disney sold the land and now just leases office space, like they did in Celebrations? This permit raises a lot of questions, like where are the real boundaries of the RCID? Is it authorized to have jurisdiction of these island properties? If Disney no longer owns the land, is the RCID jurisdiction extended because Disney has a leased interest? Does it need to be annexed? Would annexation be illegal because of the State's territory contiguity rule? This is far from 'The End'.

I think you are reading far to much into this. It's no unusual to see permits for properties outside of RCID. There are not a lot of them but they pop up from time to time. @Tom can correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think RCID enters into this since the Notice of Commencement are filed with Orange County, not RCID and are part of Florida state law.

PeterAlt

I think you are reading far to much into this. It's no unusual to see permits for properties outside of RCID. There are not a lot of them but they pop up from time to time. @Tom can correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think RCID enters into this since the Notice of Commencement are filed with Orange County, not RCID and are part of Florida state law.
I was trying to determine if this was one of the many little properties Disney owns in Orange outside of RCID. It was sold to the company you mentioned earlier this year by a company named after that address, which could have been a Disney holding company.

Tom

Beta Return

Correct. RCID has no jurisdiction beyond it's taxing district boundaries. It's a governmental entity, and doesn't automatically have control over property that The Walt Disney Company owns, or on which TWDC does business.

NoCs are county-based, and the DRC building is located in Orange County. I believe it's located in the city of Orlando, so again, no RCID involvement.

Disney owns and leases property all around the country, through their various marketing, DVC and other offices. Their secondary DRC call center is in Tampa, but they have no governmental authority there.

PeterAlt

Okay, I feel like I'm talking to deaf ears. Look at the map below. See how there are many properties outside of RCID proper, specifically the ones in Bay Hill or Orange Center. I was simply asking if this "call center" is located at one of these. Disney could have sold the property we're discussing and still has an office lease, like they do within Celebrations. If not, I would still like to know where these properties are and what's on them, and why they are leasing on land they don't own when all those off-site properties are out there!

image.jpg

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Okay, I feel like I'm talking to deaf ears. Look at the map below. See how there are many properties outside of RCID proper, specifically the ones in Bay Hill or Orange Center. I was simply asking if this "call center" is located at one of these. Disney could have sold the property we're discussing and still has an office lease, like they do within Celebrations. If not, I would still like to know where these properties are and what's on them, and why they are leasing on land they don't own when all those off-site properties are out there!

View attachment 40369

That map is only showing land that is close to RCID, the building we are talking about is much further away, so no, it is not on that map. As to why they are using that off site property as a call center it's hard to say. Maybe they wanted to get up an running quickly when it first opened and they just looked for an existing building the suited their needs instead of building a new one.

PeterAlt

That map is only showing land that is close to RCID, the building we are talking about is much further away, so no, it is not on that map. As to why they are using that off site property as a call center it's hard to say. Maybe they wanted to get up an running quickly when it first opened and they just looked for an existing building the suited their needs instead of building a new one.
That makes sense for a short term solution, but it doesn't make much financial sense for a longer term solution when there's no shortage of developable land that they own. Other possible reasons for this could be that they wanted it closer to population centers for human resources, or maybe because this has no effect on the percentage of land they are required not to touch. I don't mean to give you a hard time, but a company this large with so much power needs to be watched very carefully. It's not that I don't trust them; but, if they think no one is watching, I don't trust them.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
That makes sense for a short term solution, but it doesn't make much financial sense for a longer term solution when there's no shortage of developable land that they own. Other possible reasons for this could be that they wanted it closer to population centers for human resources, or maybe because this has no effect on the percentage of land they are required not to touch. I don't mean to give you a hard time, but a company this large with so much power needs to be watched very carefully. It's not that I don't trust them; but, if they think no one is watching, I don't trust them.

I understand that you don't trust them, which is a wise position to take with large companies, but why does it really matter in this case? What is the big deal about them having some off site property?

PeterAlt

I understand that you don't trust them, which is a wise position to take with large companies, but why does it really matter in this case? What is the big deal about them having some off site property?
It's really no big deal. Every little thing needs to be questioned, especially when they do something unncecessarily unconventional business as usual for them.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
It's really no big deal. Every little thing needs to be questioned, especially when they do something unncecessarily unconventional business as usual for them.

You would have a ball going through the Disney public records, the permits I post about just scratch the surface.

PeterAlt

You would have a ball going through the Disney public records, the permits I post about just scratch the surface.
I wouldn't have a ball. Too much work. I'd rather cherry pick the "unusual"-looking ones.

I was going through the RCID future land use map, looking for odd stuff, earlier today, and found a lot of very odd things in it. I was thinking if starting a new thread with zoomed in graphics and overlay arrows and text descriptions, but that's way too much work for me.

Examples of what I found:

- Land west of Typhoon Lagoon is zoned for attractions
- Two hotels are zoned north of the EPCOT resorts and west of EC
- There is an attraction zoned for just west of Imagination, on the resort side of the canal
- Running parallel to the World Showcase service road, on the LBV Boulevard side of the canal, is a long stretch zoned "attraction".
- The monorail to EC from the TTC is zoned attraction for the entire stretch.
- Parallel to the canal east of DHS, on the east side, the entire stretch is zoned as an attraction.
- At DHS, the plot just west of Fantasmic! and north of the water tower is zoned for an attraction.
- Just north of the Blizzard Beach parking lot is a plot zoned for attraction.
- There are high density plots zoned for hotels/resorts all around the Art of Animation Resort.

There's more, but I'll stop there for now. If anyone reading this wants me to start a new thread, where I will list each one I found and provide graphics, like this post to encourage me to get to work and post it!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I wouldn't have a ball. Too much work. I'd rather cherry pick the "unusual"-looking ones.

I was going through the RCID future land use map, looking for odd stuff, earlier today, and found a lot of very odd things in it. I was thinking if starting a new thread with zoomed in graphics and overlay arrows and text descriptions, but that's way too much work for me.

Examples of what I found:

- Land west of Typhoon Lagoon is zoned for attractions
- Two hotels are zoned north of the EPCOT resorts and west of EC
- There is an attraction zoned for just west of Imagination, on the resort side of the canal
- Running parallel to the World Showcase service road, on the LBV Boulevard side of the canal, is a long stretch zoned "attraction".
- The monorail to EC from the TTC is zoned attraction for the entire stretch.
- Parallel to the canal east of DHS, on the east side, the entire stretch is zoned as an attraction.
- At DHS, the plot just west of Fantasmic! and north of the water tower is zoned for an attraction.
- Just north of the Blizzard Beach parking lot is a plot zoned for attraction.
- There are high density plots zoned for hotels/resorts all around the Art of Animation Resort.

There's more, but I'll stop there for now. If anyone reading this wants me to start a new thread, where I will list each one I found and provide graphics, like this post to encourage me to get to work and post it!

Remember that the future land use map is not show zoning, it just shows recommendations on how each piece of land is best used based on the overall land use goals. None of this is set in stone. I also think you are reading things wrong. The areas you are saying are for attractions are light green on the map which is Resource Management/Recreation. New attractions would go in the pink areas which are designated for Entertainment.

Tom

Beta Return
Remember that the future land use map is not show zoning, it just shows recommendations on how each piece of land is best used based on the overall land use goals. None of this is set in stone. I also think you are reading things wrong. The areas you are saying are for attractions are light green on the map which is Resource Management/Recreation. New attractions would go in the pink areas which are designated for Entertainment.

Right. Everything has to be zoned for something. Each time any jurisdiction re-works their master plan, they'll apply zoning classifications to best suit any possible future needs, regardless of if there are plans or not. For RCID to zone an area for "Entertainment" or "Lodging" is no different than my home town appropriating land along our highway for "General Business" and land along the county roads as "Residential" or "Agriculture". You do whatever it takes to eliminate as much future re-zoning as possible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom