WDW Permits 2013

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Any idea of the usual timing of these things? Do they expire or is there an open window to use them? They seemed to have filed these in bulk, but does that typically mean they will start construction work pretty soon or could the permits sit for 6 months or so? I guess I'm just curious since the removal of legacy FP would have to happen after all guests are moved to FP+ which is so far only at AK, but these permits are all 4 parks. Legacy FP could be gone a lot quicker than some people thought.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Any idea of the usual timing of these things? Do they expire or is there an open window to use them? They seemed to have filed these in bulk, but does that typically mean they will start construction work pretty soon or could the permits sit for 6 months or so? I guess I'm just curious since the removal of legacy FP would have to happen after all guests are moved to FP+ which is so far only at AK, but these permits are all 4 parks. Legacy FP could be gone a lot quicker than some people thought.

These are Notices of Commencement which means work is about to start, usually within days. None of these have explicit expiration dates which means they just default to one year.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
These are Notices of Commencement which means work is about to start, usually within days. None of these have explicit expiration dates which means they just default to one year.
Wow. I would then assume that the AK test is likely a permanent change and not really a test and it's likely to expand to the other parks within the next month or so. Potential big news. Thanks for the update.

Tom

Beta Return

The work is likely imminent.

Keep in mind, the notice about doing away with Legacy FP at DAK was pretty short. We could begin hearing about it rolling up to the other parks at any moment....and it sounds like that's probably the case.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
The work is likely imminent.

Keep in mind, the notice about doing away with Legacy FP at DAK was pretty short. We could begin hearing about it rolling up to the other parks at any moment....and it sounds like that's probably the case.
We all pretty much knew this was coming....but I, for one, was shocked at how quickly they accelerated the program.

I suspect, though, that legacy FP is messing with the FP+ system, and they need to get it offline quickly so they can start fleshing out the proper mix / volume in the FP+ system.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Here is a summary of the permits for 2013:

Total Permits: 1582

Top permit counts by location:

Magic Kingdom 275
Epcot 172
Disney Hollywood Studio 170
Animal Kingdom 158
Downtown Disney 123
Admin 50
Grand Floridian 45
Port Orleans 42
Blizzard Beach 41
Lake Buena Vista 41
North Service Area 40
Boardwalk 39
Typhoon Lagoon 39
Saratoga Springs Resort 36
Contemporary 25
Yatch and Beach Club 25
Animal Kingdom Lodge 23
Carribean Beach Resort 23
Polynesian 23
Coronado Springs 22
Old Key West 22
Pop Century 17
Art of Animation Resort 15
Fort Wilderness 15
Wilderness Lodge 13
Ticket and Transporation Center 12

Top Contractors:

Buena Vista Construction 427
PCL Construction Serivces, Inc 70 (NOTE: PCL ranks so high because of all the permits that are being filed for Disney Springs)
Maddox Electrical Co Inc 61
CEC General Contractors Inc 55
Faden Builders 42
Ferran Services & Contracting Inc 38
Goff Communications, Inc 31
Grunau Company Inc 30
Vanson Enterprises Inc 30
Ermco of Florida 28
Mechanical Services of Central Florida 25
VEA Creative 24
Southeastern Construction and Maint 24
APAC Florida Southeast Inc 22
Communication Technology Services 21
Design Communications, Ltd 20
Lo-Temp Engineering 19
Kelly Electric Inc 19
Commercial Companies Inc 18
Haines City Fire Extinguisher 18
Mivan Florida 18

Permits by Month:

January 150
February 123
March 124
April 117
May 153
June 102
July 157
August 231
September 105
October 96
November 90
December 134

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Excellent work. Looking forward to what you uncover in 2014. :)

Me too. I'm hoping to see a large uptick at both AK and DHS. AK should be a given, DHS may be more wishful thinking, but if something from a galaxy far, far away gets greenlit I'm hoping they at least start some demo or clearing of backstage areas in 2014.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Here is a comparison of 2012 and 2013:

Total permits: 1421 (2012), 1582 (2013)
Numbers are pretty close when you factor out all the Disney Springs permits from 2013

The change in the numbers for the parks is interesting:

Magic Kingdom, 321 to 275
Epcot, 200 to 172
DHS, 160 to 170
AK, 121 to 158

For contractors, Buena Vista Construction jumped from 325 to 427

Here is a comparison of the permits per month. It's interesting to note the big spike in permits in August both years.

PermitTrend.jpg

Tom

Beta Return
Here is a comparison of 2012 and 2013:

Total permits: 1421 (2012), 1582 (2013)
Numbers are pretty close when you factor out all the Disney Springs permits from 2013

The change in the numbers for the parks is interesting:

Magic Kingdom, 321 to 275
Epcot, 200 to 172
DHS, 160 to 170
AK, 121 to 158

For contractors, Buena Vista Construction jumped from 325 to 427

Here is a comparison of the permits per month. It's interesting to note the big spike in permits in August both years.

View attachment 42035

Wow, very interesting. Thanks for the nerdy analysis....I love this stuff!

Looks like they must do a bunch of filings so they're ready to start working as soon as the kids go back to school and crowds drop.

And in all seriousness, it's amazing how much maintenance they actually do, contrary to what many think. A lot of money is spent on all this work that takes place behind the scenes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom