WDW Permits 2013

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Could the AT&T permits actually be cover for the monorail upgrades?

EDIT - Meaning that AT&T may actually be involved in the upgrade with fiber optics and/or communications and/or control systems the project might require?

I think what Tom is saying is that the cable work being done along the monorail route may not even be for the monorail, it's just a convenient place to run cables the same way cables are often run along highway shoulders or medians.

Tom

Beta Return
I think what Tom is saying is that the cable work being done along the monorail route may not even be for the monorail, it's just a convenient place to run cables the same way cables are often run along highway shoulders or medians.

That would be a good way to summarize my rant from last night. There are huge utility easements/right-of-ways along WDW's roads.

What I'd be anxious to see is where the installation of these conduits starts and stops. If they don't follow all of the monorail track, we'll have our answer. I firmly believe it's for telecommunications infrastructure.

Tom

Beta Return
For what it's worth - I do know that WDW's facilities engineering group has to go through the regular permitting process for all permanent structures that aren't considered ride systems. That's why most of the engineers they hire for that department have to be licensed. The ride systems, however, are proprietary and obviously don't go through the permitting process. I can tell you they are very careful to comply with all building code provisions. @Tom will know *how* I know all of this...;)

I'm just going to have to take your word on it, even though I'm quite suspicious that you're "one of them".

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Question:

The monorail upgrades being discussed on another thread... Did Disney pull permits for them, or are they working without a permit? If they did pull a permit, I don't recall seeing it here...

On that thread, I confused another figment as you and asked that person the same question. I apologize for that. I guess not all figments are the same... Lol

I was just updating the October permits and it turns out I missed one, and it might actually be the one for this work:

Monorail Beamway and all Stations and TTC West Gate - Electrical Modifications

PeterAlt

I was just updating the October permits and it turns out I missed one, and it might actually be the one for this work:

Well , there we go then! Wow, that is vague. It could even cover expansion projects if they wanted to since it doesn't specify specific locations. The word monorail legally could cover all areas designated with easements as well, could it? Any way, someone needs to also post this on the monorail upgrade thread. I posted there last night saying upgrades were proven to be in doubt (based on what I learned on this thread). I was wrong.

EDIT - It can't cover expansions. I just took a close look at it. It is very specific.

Last edited:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Well , there we go then! Wow, that is vague. It could even cover expansion projects if they wanted to since it doesn't specify specific locations. The word monorail legally could cover all areas designated with easements as well, could it? Any way, someone needs to also post this on the monorail upgrade thread. I posted there last night saying upgrades were proven to be in doubt (based on what I learned on this thread). I was wrong.
No it could not. Locations are specifically shown in the attached site plans which only show existing monorail track and stations.

PeterAlt

No it could not. Locations are specifically shown in the attached site plans which only show existing monorail track and stations.
Yeah, I spoke too soon. I went back and edited my post. It goes on for pages and pages with specifics. I've never seen any of these permits so specific!

PeterAlt

An interesting note from the diagrams is that the Magic Kingdom monorail piers are all named "MK" following a number, the Magic Kingdom backstage spur have piers labeled "MS" and a number. The EPCOT Center piers have a "EC" name following a number. So, the naming convention of the piers is a two letter sign designating the spur, followed by a number. Any new piers on new spurs would have a new two letter sign followed by a number. All numbers would start at "1" at each letter sign designation.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster

EDIT - It can't cover expansions. I just took a close look at it. It is very specific.

I posted it in the Monorail thread.

Tom

Beta Return
What is a monorail pier piling? I found this term mentioned in a work document for World Showcase. Problem is there's no monorail piers at WS!

http://pooleyplanroom.com/fountain_div2.pdf

A pier is the form of footing used. A piling is a steel or concrete structure that's driven into the earth until it hits a stable substrate. WDW has hundreds of pilings in use, since you can't build things on swampland.

The specifications you found are only telling a demolition contractors to protect the existing monorail footings when they're doing underground utility work. It does not imply that there are unused pylons or piers.

Tom

Beta Return

Now that I'm on my computer, I've noticed that Thales is the contractor. They don't mess around with mere "electrical upgrades". WDW would hire an electrician, like ERMCO, for that. So, given this new information, I definitely need to retract my previous statements.

PeterAlt

A pier is the form of footing used. A piling is a steel or concrete structure that's driven into the earth until it hits a stable substrate. WDW has hundreds of pilings in use, since you can't build things on swampland.

The specifications you found are only telling a demolition contractors to protect the existing monorail footings when they're doing underground utility work. It does not imply that there are unused pylons or piers.
Okay. Thanks!

Last edited:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
This would be the first official documentation of the existence of unused footings reserved for possible future use. This is almost as big as proving the existence of Big Foot as a new species!
Did you read the second paragraph at all?

Tom

Beta Return
This would be the first official documentation of the existence of unused footings reserved for possible future use. This is almost as big as proving the existence of Big Foot as a new species!

Read what I wrote again. You obviously skipped the important part.

That document is a generic project specification, which provides catch-all verbiage intended to cover all possible situations. The text is ONLY telling contractors to avoid damaging the subsurface portion of the existing monorail pylons.

Let me try again, not that it's going to do any good: In no way, shape or form does that document indicate the existence of undocumented or buried monorail footings.

If it will keep you occupied for a while, go find the blueprints that go along with that spec book. Your answer will be on them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom