WDW Permits 2013

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm curious, when they built that really small monorail spur a couple of years ago, how was its permit worded?

I looked through some of the permits from that period, but I don't see the one for the spur. Tom was doing permits at that point, maybe he remembers something.

PeterAlt

I looked through some of the permits from that period, but I don't see the one for the spur. Tom was doing permits at that point, maybe he remembers something.
I would like to know if they poured new footers for that, or if they excavated and dusted off an already existing one. If so, this could renew the monorail discussion, which I'll start a new thread for.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I would like to know if they poured new footers for that, or if they excavated and dusted off an already existing one. If so, this could renew the monorail discussion, which I'll start a new thread for.

It's not likely a notice of commencement would contain that information, they tend to be very vague at best.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Thanks. Talk about vague! They could get monorail expansion permits and we would never know it. By the way, is that rectangular object 100' SW of the POB a monorail footer? Don't kill me for asking that...

If you are talking about the dotted rectangle on the plan, I am not sure what that represents. It's not likely a monorail footer since that would mean the track would directly intersect the current one so would need to go over it.

Tom

Beta Return
Thanks. Talk about vague! They could get monorail expansion permits and we would never know it. By the way, is that rectangular object 100' SW of the POB a monorail footer? Don't kill me for asking that...

They poured new footings and installed new pylons and beams. There are many photos on the web of the work as it progressed. They only installed the tractor location as part of their response to the accident, so don't get excited and think they're building monorail track for fun ;-)

And I think that dashed box might be an electrical substation or rectifier. Google maps would tell you.

PeterAlt

If you are talking about the dotted rectangle on the plan, I am not sure what that represents. It's not likely a monorail footer since that would mean the track would directly intersect the current one so would need to go over it.
I asked that because it looks proportional to the infamous exposed footer in front of WDI backstage EC.

PeterAlt

They poured new footings and installed new pylons and beams. There are many photos on the web of the work as it progressed. They only installed the tractor location as part of their response to the accident, so don't get excited and think they're building monorail track for fun ;-)

And I think that dashed box might be an electrical substation or rectifier. Google maps would tell you.
I wish the kind of progress that we see today with smart phones, the Internet, and tablet PC's would carry over into other industries - that each industry had their own Steve Jobs to spark innovation. Besides those three areas, things have really gotten boring. Where's that drive that took America to the moon in the 60's? Or even in the late 80's when world space agencies made the commitment to build the two-football-fields-long $100 billion International Space Station?

Last week, I saw an old news clipping that was dated some time between the date that Walt Disney died and when WDW opened. It was the announcement that construction was about to start on the MK, the Seven Seas Lagoon, the Contemporary, the Polynesian, the Venetian, the Asian, and the Mediterranean, and the Ft. Wilderness Campground. For the hotels, the contracting construction company announced new materials and building processes. The hotel rooms would be mass produced in a factory-like assembly line and then assembled on site. These combined innovations were to drastically reduce the overall construction cost.

Why aren't we doing these types of things any more. No one is trying anything new any more in the construction business, for example, to innovate and drive the cost down. We should be seeing machines synthesizing new carbon fiber materials and robots at construction sites assembling those nano fiber materials into state of the art modern architecture buildings right now. Today, these companies prefer to do things the way it's always been done because that's what works and always will work and the demand will always be there. There's no real incentive to invest in innovation and try new things. So, until a company like a adisney decides to go with contractor X because contractor X makes a pledge to innovate and try new things in order to win that contract, like Disney did with WDW Phase I, we're pretty much stuck with the high cost of construction.

Construction will become like the invention of steps in prehistoric times. There hasn't been a single improvement, except for maybe the escalator you may call is an upgrade to the prehistoric invention of the step.

What all this has to do with permits? I don't even know, but I had to get this off my chest. I've been thinking about all of this lately and I'm really baffled by it...

BalooChicago

I don't remember Peter, what aspect of the construction industry are you involved in? As an Architect, I'm directly in tune with the significant advancement that has happened in the last 15 years that I've been in the industry. I'm curious what your vantage point is.

Sam Magic

I wish the kind of progress that we see today with smart phones, the Internet, and tablet PC's would carry over into other industries - that each industry had their own Steve Jobs to spark innovation. Besides those three areas, things have really gotten boring. Where's that drive that took America to the moon in the 60's? Or even in the late 80's when world space agencies made the commitment to build the two-football-fields-long $100 billion International Space Station?

Last week, I saw an old news clipping that was dated some time between the date that Walt Disney died and when WDW opened. It was the announcement that construction was about to start on the MK, the Seven Seas Lagoon, the Contemporary, the Polynesian, the Venetian, the Asian, and the Mediterranean, and the Ft. Wilderness Campground. For the hotels, the contracting construction company announced new materials and building processes. The hotel rooms would be mass produced in a factory-like assembly line and then assembled on site. These combined innovations were to drastically reduce the overall construction cost.

Why aren't we doing these types of things any more. No one is trying anything new any more in the construction business, for example, to innovate and drive the cost down. We should be seeing machines synthesizing new carbon fiber materials and robots at construction sites assembling those nano fiber materials into state of the art modern architecture buildings right now. Today, these companies prefer to do things the way it's always been done because that's what works and always will work and the demand will always be there. There's no real incentive to invest in innovation and try new things. So, until a company like a adisney decides to go with contractor X because contractor X makes a pledge to innovate and try new things in order to win that contract, like Disney did with WDW Phase I, we're pretty much stuck with the high cost of construction.

Construction will become like the invention of steps in prehistoric times. There hasn't been a single improvement, except for maybe the escalator you may call is an upgrade to the prehistoric invention of the step.

What all this has to do with permits? I don't even know, but I had to get this off my chest. I've been thinking about all of this lately and I'm really baffled by it...
More like their own Walt Disney, As someone studying construction and Urban design I can say that company's are starting to use new ways of building and designing. The public demand is calling for original city layout and old architecture , so at this time thats what were getting. Disney has plans for WDW that will surpass your imagination and new building techniques that they are only testing.

PeterAlt

More like their own Walt Disney, As someone studying construction and Urban design I can say that company's are starting to use new ways of building and designing. The public demand is calling for original city layout and old architecture , so at this time thats what were getting. Disney has plans for WDW that will surpass your imagination and new building techniques that they are only testing.
This is good news. Are you guessing or is this coming from someone in the "know"?

I know they can innovate (the construction industry) and do from time to time, as is evidenced with the energy efficient "green" towers that have risen in NYC since 9-11. Also, I was using the construction industry as an example for what I was talking about but I was really talking about specialized sectors in general. What set me off is the fact that the cost of building monorail has gone up over the years drastically and prohibitively, while technological advancements in areas such as composite materials and robotics should be driving the cost down. Also, if cost goes down, demand goes up. If demand goes up, production goes up. When production goes up, so does supply. As supply goes up costs go down, and the cycle keeps repeating. Currently, Bombardiar has two customers for WDW-compatible monorail - WDW and Las Vegas. Mitsubishi could bid on compatible systems as well. I'm going off on a tangent but I think I got my point across.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
This is good news. Are you guessing or is this coming from someone in the "know"?

I know they can innovate (the construction industry) and do from time to time, as is evidenced with the energy efficient "green" towers that have risen in NYC since 9-11. Also, I was using the construction industry as an example for what I was talking about but I was really talking about specialized sectors in general. What set me off is the fact that the cost of building monorail has gone up over the years drastically and prohibitively, while technological advancements in areas such as composite materials and robotics should be driving the cost down. Also, if cost goes down, demand goes up. If demand goes up, production goes up. When production goes up, so does supply. As supply goes up costs go down, and the cycle keeps repeating. Currently, Bombardiar has two customers for WDW-compatible monorail - WDW and Las Vegas. Mitsubishi could bid on compatible systems as well. I'm going off on a tangent but I think I got my point across.

Can we please continue this discussion in another thread.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Four more permits for Disney Springs today, 2 more operations trailers, one for a wood "patron fence" at 1580 E.Buena Vista Dr and most significantly one for a trailer compound for WDI and general contractor.

It's going to take me a while to get all the permits posted since they filed 40 of them today, the most I have ever seen in one day by a pretty large margin!

Tom

Beta Return
Four more permits for Disney Springs today, 2 more operations trailers, one for a wood "patron fence" at 1580 E.Buena Vista Dr and most significantly one for a trailer compound for WDI and general contractor.

It's going to take me a while to get all the permits posted since they filed 40 of them today, the most I have ever seen in one day by a pretty large margin!

You're just being lazy. We need permits!!!

:)

PeterAlt

Anything I can do to help?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom