7/3 (9-4am)
7/4 (8-1am)
7/5, 7, 9, 12 (9-midnight) 60
7/6, 11, 13, 18, 20, 25, 27 (9-2am) 119
7/14, 16, 19, 21, 23, 26, 28, 30 (9-11) 112
7/17, 24, 31 (8-11) 45

Hours open
1994: 444 hours < 2008: 485 Hours

Is that counting EMH? I believe the figured WDW1974 are presenting doesnt include E-ticket nights... or early entree... as EMH doesnt keep the parks open for everything.. only people staying on property.

disnyfan89

Is that counting EMH? I believe the figured WDW1974 are presenting doesnt include E-ticket nights... or early entree... as EMH doesnt keep the parks open for everything.. only people staying on property.
Yes, that does include EMH. I included them since the majority of guest visiting the park are entitled to EMH and regular guest are not kicked out of the park since they can still eat and shop. Also, EMH is part of the regular schedual and therefore counts as hours the parks are open. I'm not sure if E-Ticket nights where around in 1994 or not. The earliest ones I am aware of started around 97/98. However, if WDW1974 has extended hours similar to EMH for July of 1994 I would be happy to adjust the numbers.

marypoppins68

December used to be dead, before MVMCP and Pop Warner and cheerleading competitions. You could go anytime from the 1st to about the 20th and walk on to a good number of rides (it's how I rode Space Mountain 18 times in a row one day in December 1991).

Very true. I remember going a few days before Christmas Eve back in '79 or '80 and the Magic Kingdom was virtually empty. You could watch the Christmas Parade and have no one alongside of you at all. We walked on just about everything. It was great!

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Not all attractions and shops are open for EMH. Thus, it's not an apples-to-apples comparison to the regular park hours listed from past years.

Rosso11

And not every current ride or shop exsisted back in 94. I would say it's more than fair.

Thats a silly argument. Not every ride or shop that existed in 94 exists today. A large portion of the parks are closed during EMH. This includes rides, shops, restaurants and entertainment. When I use to work the EMH at the MK I had many unhappy guests who would complain that there was very few options, especially when it came to food.

WDW1974

Original Poster
July 2008:

MK
7/1-2, 8, 10, 15, 22, 29 (8-midnight)
7/3 (9-4am)
7/4 (8-1am)
7/5, 7, 9, 12 (9-midnight)
7/6, 11, 13, 18, 20, 25, 27 (9-2am)
7/14, 16, 19, 21, 23, 26, 28, 30 (9-11)
7/17, 24, 31 (8-11)

Hours open
1994: 444 hours < 2008: 485 Hours

Epcot:
7/1, 8, 10, 15, 17, 22, 24, 29, 31 (9-midnight)
7/2-3, 5, 7, 9, 11-12, 14, 16, 18-19, 21, 23, 25-26, 28, 30 (9-9)
7/4 (8-10)
7/6, 13, 20, 27 (8-9)

Hours open
1994: 391 hours < 2008: 405 hours

Disney's Hollywood Studios
7/1, 3, 5-6, 8, 10, 12-13, 15, 17, 19-20, 22, 24, 26-27, 29, 31 (9-10)
7/2, 4, 9, 16, 23, 30 (9-1am)
7/7, 11, 14, 18, 21, 25, 28 (8-10)

Hours open:
1994: 389 hours < 2008: 414 hours

Total park hours open:
1994: 1,224 hours < 1,304 hours

Sorry WDW1974 but as you can see the park hours in 2008 are higher than 2004 by about 6%! You should double check your facts before making such a statement. :wave:

See, this is the type of 'criticism' I have a problem with.

My facts are quite accurate. What you are doing is comparing apples and oranges by adding in an extra hour perq that is only available to on property guests.

And no matter how you try and spin it, it isn't a fair comparison. Even today, most guests don't stay at WDW (Orlando is the largest hotel and timeshare market in the country).

Adding in something that isn't available to the general public immediately invalidates your comparison. FWIW, early entry was available to resort guests in 1994 too and I didn't (and won't) attempt to include it because it isn't part of regular operating hours.

But your point does illustrate how cutting hours for all guests while tossing in an extra hour perq for select guests is part of the general WalMarting of the product as a whole because ALL guests are paying more and getting less.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Yes, that does include EMH. I included them since the majority of guest visiting the park are entitled to EMH and regular guest are not kicked out of the park since they can still eat and shop. Also, EMH is part of the regular schedual and therefore counts as hours the parks are open. I'm not sure if E-Ticket nights where around in 1994 or not. The earliest ones I am aware of started around 97/98. However, if WDW1974 has extended hours similar to EMH for July of 1994 I would be happy to adjust the numbers.

Again, you base it on a fallacy ... that the majority of guests are entitled to EMH. If that were true, why would Disney offer it? It's an enticement to stay at a WDW resort. Period.

The fact that 'regular guests' can stay and shop is really not helping your case as how many people would go to WDW to dine or shop if there weren't attractions?

Also, EMH is NOT part of a regular operating schedule as far as guests are concerned. It is an extra hours perq. If you want to argue that you got more hours by staying on property in July 2008 then you would have in July 1994, go right ahead. But that's not the argument here at all ...

E-Ticket nights also will NEVER be included because that was when resort guests HAD TO PAY $11 a pop to stay in the MK and ride 8-9 attractions for three hours.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Does anyone know what percentage of day guests are staying at resorts on property?

That is a number that constantly changes based on season, week and day ... heck, it constantly changes based on who is entering or leaving at any given time.

Obviously in general more guests are staying on property in 2008 then in 1978 or 1988 or 1998 because there are now 30,000 plus hotel rooms and timeshares available.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Very true. I remember going a few days before Christmas Eve back in '79 or '80 and the Magic Kingdom was virtually empty. You could watch the Christmas Parade and have no one alongside of you at all. We walked on just about everything. It was great!

Yeah.

The first two-three weeks of December were always times when guests were advised to visit to get to see all the holiday entertainment and decor with none of the crowds.

Those days are gone for good.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Thats a silly argument. Not every ride or shop that existed in 94 exists today. A large portion of the parks are closed during EMH. This includes rides, shops, restaurants and entertainment. When I use to work the EMH at the MK I had many unhappy guests who would complain that there was very few options, especially when it came to food.

Great points.

And to further it, I can say FOR A FACT that there were more shops and dining facilities back in 1994 that featured more unique offerings.

All of that added value to a WDW vacation. Now, there's far less and it's all been WalMarted and homogenized.

And, no, no matter how people and moan I am not going to start copying pages of guidebooks and maps to show there were more options in shopping and dining before WDW went to the consultants business model where every locale had to meet specific profit numbers/margins in the mid-90s.

EPCOT Explorer

Great points.

And to further it, I can say FOR A FACT that there were more shops and dining facilities back in 1994 that featured more unique offerings.

All of that added value to a WDW vacation. Now, there's far less and it's all been WalMarted and homogenized.

And, no, no matter how people and moan I am not going to start copying pages of guidebooks and maps to show there were more options in shopping and dining before WDW went to the consultants business model where every locale had to meet specific profit numbers/margins in the mid-90s
*b!tches and moans*

:lookaroun:lol:
Can you do it just so we can see them? For historical purposes?:lookaroun The Map Collector in me is interested....

I loved the old style of Guide Maps.:D

TalkingHead

That is a number that constantly changes based on season, week and day ... heck, it constantly changes based on who is entering or leaving at any given time.

Obviously in general more guests are staying on property in 2008 then in 1978 or 1988 or 1998 because there are now 30,000 plus hotel rooms and timeshares available.

My real reason for asking about the estimated percentage was because someone had said "the majority of guests" have access to Extra Hours. But you answered my question elsewhere by saying the majority of WDW guests aren't staying on property (and therefore wouldn't have access to Extra Hours).

Animaniac93-98

*b!tches and moans*

:lookaroun:lol:
Can you do it just so we can see them? For historical purposes?:lookaroun The Map Collector in me is interested....

I loved the old style of Guide Maps.:D

You mean you haven't seen them on this site before Explorer? :eek: For shame. :p

There are scans of those pages elsewhere on this website of those maps if you'd like to see them.

Animaniac93-98

With this new format I cannot find them any more. I wonder if Steve took them off.

This layout is most confusing, and I'm having difficulties posting photos in my album. I wish Steve would have told us about these changes a few days ahead of time (sorry if I missed the memo).

yankspy

This layout is most confusing, and I'm having difficulties posting photos in my album. I wish Steve would have told us about these changes a few days ahead of time (sorry if I missed the memo).
He did. For the most part I like it. It just takes some getting used to.

WDW1974

Original Poster
My real reason for asking about the estimated percentage was because someone had said "the majority of guests" have access to Extra Hours. But you answered my question elsewhere by saying the majority of WDW guests aren't staying on property (and therefore wouldn't have access to Extra Hours).

Valid question. And it all depends.

On some days at some park(s), the majority may well have access to EMH.

But my response to that would be so what?

Let's say tonight the makeup of on property guests to off property is 56-44. So what does that matter to the thousands (tens of thousands likely) who can't stay late. And what if they are spending today at the Studios or Epcot? How does having one night with three extra hours at MK help them? Well, of course, it doesn't.

EMH is a nice perq, no doubt about it.

But having parks that were open later for EVERY guest and had every attraction, shop and dining locale open was clearly better for all.

I was recently at Disney for nine days and was only able to take advantage of EMH one night. Yes, most of that was 'on me' as I went to Halloween Horror Nights and Sea World ... but when Disney parks had longer hours for all, I didn't have to do so much planning ... much like not holding back tables for locals and walkups at table serve restaurants, it just isn't a guest friendly policy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom