WDW literally falling apart

Goofyernmost

Some of the photos show water stains consistent with a leak/water running behind the facade.
Not sure how you can be sure that they were water stains and even if they were if that had anything at all to do with whatever happened. That stain could be water and it could be any other moisture that might have happened before the facade was even put up or while being installed.

Buried20KLeague

Having just ridden Space Mountain, it's very rough and needs that new track replacement now. Was supposed to have gotten a huge overhaul like what? over 10 years ago now? They started the process by painting what needed removing and then it didn't happen. They installed extra brakes instead lol

2007, if I recall.

lazyboy97o

It would seem to be that if that is what happened that it would be obvious that it is a pre-existing condition. The question is, if that is do we assume that a pre-existing condition is something that we unquestionably should be aware of? People have cancer for years and until it gets serious do not even know it is there. It doesn't matter if it is water (I can't think of any reason why that is the reaction that would result from that) or not enough solid anchoring that caused a failure. It seems to me that the if it was due to construction problems it would have created that condition at the time of construction and no connection to maintenance. If they used the wrong materials or insufficient anchoring it is something that would require someone with x-ray vision to possibly spot. And I believe that Universal has exclusive rights to that guy east of the Mississippi. It hasn't even been established if there was that much initial damage or if the person had come along with a camera after the crew had removed some of the panels and perhaps didn't neatly stack them up.
Buildings don't just start developing deterioration the way a person develops cancers. There are causes. Poor initial anchoring is a possibility but probably would have resulted in more damage instead of just one side.

What makes you think that water leakage had anything at all to do with it?
Because it is a common cause deterioration in a building. Prolonged water intrusion into this space would result in this sort of failure by corroding the attachments that exist between concrete and the panels.

Not sure how you can be sure that they were water stains and even if they were if that had anything at all to do with whatever happened. That stain could be water and it could be any other moisture that might have happened before the facade was even put up or while being installed.
Concrete has a certain look to it.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
It would seem to be that if that is what happened that it would be obvious that it is a pre-existing condition. The question is, if that is do we assume that a pre-existing condition is something that we unquestionably should be aware of? People have cancer for years and until it gets serious do not even know it is there. It doesn't matter if it is water (I can't think of any reason why that is the reaction that would result from that) or not enough solid anchoring that caused a failure. It seems to me that the if it was due to construction problems it would have created that condition at the time of construction and no connection to maintenance. If they used the wrong materials or insufficient anchoring it is something that would require someone with x-ray vision to possibly spot. And I believe that Universal has exclusive rights to that guy east of the Mississippi. It hasn't even been established if there was that much initial damage or if the person had come along with a camera after the crew had removed some of the panels and perhaps didn't neatly stack them up.

I don't think that over 10% of those that "won't go back" are even aware of any random situation such as this much less using that as an excuse for no longer wanting to play in that sandbox.

What makes you think that water leakage had anything at all to do with it?

I agree, and I wasn't quoting anyone anyway. That said, however, is that you have lost the confidence that nothing bad could ever happen at WDW? Seriously, are you close to not going because a random facade came loose? That's no way to live a life. I have lived to 74 by being cautious of things that had a high level of probability of danger to my well being. Not to the trivial things I am not aware of existing.

I have never done things like swim in hand sanitizer and I occasionally lick my fingers when eating fried chicken. I haven't even had a cold in 5 years. I do have other problems but none that I can blame on outside sources. As a kid I drank out of a garden hose, rode many, many miles in cars that didn't even have any seatbelts, went over the speed limit quite often, and as a kid I used to fall asleep up on the back seat window shelf looking up out the rear window at the stars. Nothing about any random, freak situation, such as discussed here that would ever make me stop living and doing the things I like because things aren't perfectly safe. What's the reason for living if we don't live it. We can be a perfectly superb physical specimen and wrap ourselves in bubble wrap and we are still going to die of something. So why obsess over irrational fears.

Oh you are reading what i said completely wrong.... i would never stop my life etc for anything i said... i was just making a statement more so regarding the state of disney than anything else... Im 47 so yes ive drank out of a hose as well hahaha so i get it trust me

Casper Gutman

I'll take a sledgehammer to the hood of your car and then shame you for not taking proper care of it.
I mean, if this is proven to be the work of a very small, oddly focused terrorist organization, maintenance is off the hook.

And in your example, if my car was the first display at Sledgehammer World, where every guest gets a free sledgehammer… yeah, not sledgehammer-proofing my car would probably be on me.

LittleBuford

I’m not sure why it’s so difficult for some here to accept that this may have been a freak occurrence caused by a very specific and unusual incident. Others can correct me if I’m wrong, but this is not the sort of thing we hear of happening with any regularity at WDW. Indeed, I can’t recall a single story like it. It’s the exception that proves the rule—that Disney is well maintained in terms of the integrity and safety of its structures—not evidence of some deep and systemic failure.

UNCgolf

They're almost certainly water stains; I'm not sure anyone would argue otherwise.

No one suggested that it was absolutely the cause of what happened, though. That's exactly what we're discussing so I'm not sure what your point is?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I picked his brain about Space Mountain in another thread, in case you’re interested:

I for one certainly wouldn’t be holidaying in a theme park I suspected of being unsafe. I’ve never known WDW to have that reputation, despite the framing of this thread.
I wondered what a 4 year old quote was doing 😁thought it may be hurricane fever

Professor_Jason

Having just ridden Space Mountain, it's very rough and needs that new track replacement now. Was supposed to have gotten a huge overhaul like what? over 10 years ago now? They started the process by painting what needed removing and then it didn't happen. They installed extra brakes instead lol
I just back from WDW and Space Mountain feels like DL's Matterhorn, it's gotten rougher each visit the last few years

Goofyernmost

Buildings don't just start developing deterioration the way a person develops cancers. There are causes. Poor initial anchoring is a possibility but probably would have resulted in more damage instead of just one side.

Because it is a common cause deterioration in a building. Prolonged water intrusion into this space would result in this sort of failure by corroding the attachments that exist between concrete and the panels.

Concrete has a certain look to it.
Concrete has a number of looks to it. Buildings can deteriorate, but it doesn't look like this one did. Do we even know what the facade was made of? What gave out the building or the facade. What was holding the facade on the front of the actual building? Yes, water is a common cause, but that doesn't mean that it was the case in this instant. Why would they have made that particular building out of concrete and if not the building what possible reason wouldn't they have had for building the facade out of concrete. Wood or plastic would have worked just fine. It's the facade that is exposed to the weather or the famous sideways Florida rain storms. I don't think we will ever really know what happened, but water is not the only possible explanation.

Goofyernmost

They're almost certainly water stains; I'm not sure anyone would argue otherwise.

No one suggested that it was absolutely the cause of what happened, though. That's exactly what we're discussing so I'm not sure what your point is?
My point is simply that whether or not that was a water stain is not an automatic reason that their might have been a failure if it was that indeed. I'm having a hard time accepting the ECV scenario as well. Conspiracies are the the countries new national anthem.

Smiley/OCD

I’m NOT a construction expert (nor do I play one on TV), but I did my share of improvement projects…but to ME, it looks like the outer facade was “glued” to the building and separated due to failure of the adhesive or moisture or both. The ECV “hit” might have been the straw that broke the camels back, just jarring loose the unattached and loose pieces.
I use my own ECV and we’ve all seen drivers, but don’t you think this would have been mentioned many times before?

G00fyDad

I can't believe we're seven pages in on this discussion.

the lion king laughing GIF

Thelazer

Years ago.. they would be doing welding work in SM NIGHTLY on those tracks..
Now I don't know what, or why.. I just know that there was a TON of nightly work going on..
(I can say I never saw tons of new track going in.. so it was more like patch work..)

almost like it needed to be put back together each night after running all day...

Smiley/OCD

At least it’s still running…look at El Toro at Six Flags in NJ…built in 2006, probably being torn down due to structural defects

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom