WDW has lost much of its magic.

DisneyDoctor

Sorry but after doing summer and fall, the lines are nearly equal now. Spring break and Oct were equal and early June was less crowded than either. Summer isn't all that bad. We only had one day we broke out our rain ponchos and it wasn't pouring either.

Summer gets a bad rap, but really crowds have gone up so many other times of year that it almost doesn't matter when you go. That and slower times they have less staff and less vehicles running so the lubes are just as long.
Out of curiosity, if you could pick anytime of the year to go, when would you go?

DisneyMann

Like someone else said.....you bring the magic and can experience it as you want.

However, in regards to the food, I disagree. If you look, there are plenty of places that have excellent (and different) food choices that aren't burgers and fries. There are lots of good food at some sit downs that you can still walk up to. While some are at resorts, they are out there. Now....this excludes DHS which is why we go to Epcot to eat most of the time while in DHS.

David Carberry

World Show Case the cast is from the host countries but do not be fooled, you go to the UK IT IS NOT LIKE REALLY GOING to the UK.

As someone who has travelled to quite a few places in the world it always makes me smile walking around the world showcase. As a Brit I especially love going to the UK pavilion and grabbing a pint in the rose and crown just to have a laugh at how ‘fake’ it is (and having a hush hush joke with a British CM whilst there) I like to take a look in the shop to make sure they’re still selling ‘Irish Whiskey’ from a completely different country! I don’t think imagineers realised that Northern Ireland and The Republic of Ireland are completely different countries and the latter is not part of the U.K.

Like some folks have already said, for me it’s about letting the inner child and magic come out from within. It doesn’t matter how busy it gets as a little forward planning always guarantees a wonderful time.

Fable McCloud

This is a problem why?

This is called "managing people's expectations". If it was the other way round, people would get annoyed, this way you're through before you were expecting to be. Not seeing a problem so far.

The other thing it can do is to discourage people from joining a queue, either as it becomes too long or towards the end of the night. Not really a problem imo. YMMV?

I wasn't stating this as a problem, just reminding people that sometimes it isn't as bad as people think.

Walt Disney1955

Fanboys will say I am wrong and I do not care;
I am sick of everybody just saying how great the place is.

• It is in Florida which means at least for me it is hard to get to and if you go in the summer do not complain when it reaches 95 degrees with 100% humanity and the daily afternoon storms
  • The crowds are terrible and it gets worse every year. Main street USA looks like a crowd of people waiting for a rock concert, the lines for attractions after the first hour when people really pack in go to about an hour just about everywhere. The few attractions you can count on are the Carousel of Progress, Hall of Presidents and the Country Bear Jamboree "maybe the Haunted Mansion"
  • The prices are out of control yet people still pack the place, over $100 just to get in, food you buy one of their terrible burgers, frozen fries, and coke maybe $15. They do have nice restaurants but unless you plan months in advance you will never get a meal and if you do plan get reservation you can spend $50 plus for one meal. The merchandise is also criminally priced, cheap golf shirt $50.
  • Experiences Magic Kingdom, Main Street stores where you can get over priced junk, push through crowds to get to other lands. Epcot Future World has been dumbed down for example Test Track, what do you learn about Transportation? World Show Case the cast is from the host countries but do not be fooled, you go to the UK IT IS NOT LIKE REALLY GOING to the UK. Hollywood Studios I can do Rock and Roll Coaster like it and this board people are always complaining about Aerosmith, I do not kid myself when the Star Wars area expands like Avatar there maybe one attraction tops worth the hype and you will never get close to it. Animal Kingdom the Avatar Land like I said been there 3 times and I am too old and fat to run to the one worthy attraction, and I am not waiting over two hours to try it. Nothing else in Animal Kingdom does anything for me.
After all my criticism why do I go ? WDW has got worse over the years, back when you had Magic Kingdom and EPCOT I really enjoyed the parks, I go now and then hoping rediscover past experiences.
Why do I still visit the board ? I keep hoping to rediscover the magic the place was in the 80s and 90s
Will I go back maybe but I will not go out of my way, if I am going to Tampa Bay for a cruise maybe visit WDW, but I will never relive the 80s again. All I have is pictures and video.

That was a major criticism prior to WDW opening up in 1971. Florida? Wow........too hot for a theme park. Sure isn't California! That ended up being a moot point. I don't go in the summer, so I don't mind if others do and experience larger crowds and hotter days.

I agree on some of your points. They really have to do something about Magic Kingdom's crowds. There is no excuse. WDW has the blessing of size. They need to add more rides for sure. Maybe even lower the capacity per day.

And the prices? I'm with you there. Things are terribly expensive and they are increasingly turning into a place where you really have to save money ahead of time - a long time - to go and enjoy it instead of just being a place for everyone.

sheriffwoody

They do have nice restaurants but unless you plan months in advance you will never get a meal
This is a misconception. I just looked for tonight and there were openings at 43 different restaurants for a party of two (46 for party of four). You may not get to dine in the castle if you don't plan ahead, and you may have more trouble if you have a huge family, but my husband and I have never had trouble finding good dining last minute. Sometimes it's more fun that way...just see what we're in the mood for.

carlos81

I used to live in Venezuela, went to WDW first time on 1990 beeing 9 years old, then on 1992, 1995, 1998, 2000 (with a group of friends after spending the whole winter in Boston), 2001 (party time with frinds living there) 2003 (last family trip), 2009 (magic kindom for a day with mom and girlfriend) and then in 2011 with my wife before getting our first artifitial insemination. Now we are living in Spain, my wife is 5 months pregnant and we are planning a trip to Orlando to take our 7 year son to WDW. This is the only place that I keep going back, and is a family treasure, and I think the magic is in the memories that we get everytime we go to WDW.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I used to live in Venezuela, went to WDW first time on 1990 beeing 9 years old, then on 1992, 1995, 1998, 2000 (with a group of friends after spending the whole winter in Boston), 2001 (party time with frinds living there) 2003 (last family trip), 2009 (magic kindom for a day with mom and girlfriend) and then in 2011 with my wife before getting our first artifitial insemination. Now we are living in Spain, my wife is 5 months pregnant and we are planning a trip to Orlando to take our 7 year son to WDW. This is the only place that I keep going back, and is a family treasure, and I think the magic is in the memories that we get everytime we go to WDW.
Whoa! TMI, dude...

bustamelon

[...]
TL/DR It isn't that I hate WDW or don't accept change. I welcome additions and evolution. However, for the money I'm spending, I expect Disney to commit to quality and creativity over commerce. I've experienced the things they've done right and I hold them to those standards with their current and future endeavors. They're Disney, not Six Flags. That means something.
Well put. I would add that while I welcome *good* change and new additions, even at the expense of losing classic attractions sometimes, I would almost rather they left well enough alone if it meant they could keep costs down. Again, I'm not at all averse to changes (if they're done well), but given the choice between few or no new attractions but meticulously kept and maintained, at reasonable pricing, versus constant closings and new construction, with prices increasing as they do 20-30% every year, I think I would prefer the former. OR, better still, if they could figure out a way of balancing closings and construction, say, by following a rule that says they will never close one attraction (permanently) without a plan to put something in its place (and "Dance Parties" don't count -- you hear me Iger?).

Missing_Aria

I'll add my 2 cents as someone who never got to go until she was 30 (I'm 32 now):

I think it's still magical. I think for people who go more often or get that 'back in my day' syndrome anything loses it's magic.

We have an amusement park where I'm from called Carowinds and let me tell you that place has lost a heck of a lot of wonder for me over the years. They're lucky enough to have great engineers making amazingly ahead of the curve rides for them which keeps people coming back but I was pretty much done when they tore down Thunder Road. The only time I really go there anymore is with my niece (where I can live vicariously through her sense of wonder), or for the holiday events like Scarowinds where they really go all out. I look at the spot where Thunder Road used to be that is now a couple of stupid water slides and I nearly cry every time though. Oh and they completely tore down the old, historic entrance that's been there since the park opened. It also doesn't help that Fury put us on the map and now people come in from across the globe just to ride it. It's cool to have a coaster like that but it also means far more crowds and far more traffic in an area that really isn't designed to handle it. These things tend to make someone resentful and resentment interferes with anyone's sense of wonder.

I think anyone who has been going to WDW (or any Disney Park) forever is going to lose at least some of the magic. And then there are the pangs every time you see a place where an old ride used to be or where a new ride that used to be something else is now. That said you still have weirdos like me who are so awestruck by the place that they tackle hug the Beast upon finally getting to meet him. Its a hard balance for any park unfortunately, keeping the old alive while still changing enough to keep the loyal customers of their past coming back.

I think if you want to feel that magic again maybe you should try one of the foreign parks. From what I hear DisneySea is truly magical.

But really I think if its so bad that you're 'sick' of other people enjoying it for being 'great' in their eyes then there's another issue and it's not Disney. I hope you can find that magic again but a big part of it really is a state of mind.

geekza

@Missing_Aria Carowinds was one of the first parks I visited as a kid. I've only been there twice, but loved it. All three of the parks that came around at that time (Carowinds, King's Island, and King's Dominion) were places where I have good memories. They definitely aren't what they used to be. I think Cedar Fair has done a much better job of park maintenance and upgrades than Paramount did, but Paramount really let the original feel of the parks go.

Missing_Aria

@Missing_Aria Carowinds was one of the first parks I visited as a kid. I've only been there twice, but loved it. All three of the parks that came around at that time (Carowinds, King's Island, and King's Dominion) were places where I have good memories. They definitely aren't what they used to be. I think Cedar Fair has done a much better job of park maintenance and upgrades than Paramount did, but Paramount really let the original feel of the parks go.

Oh yeah definitely, I think Cedar Fair is doing a MUCH better job but they still have to care about that bottom dollar and a shiny new entrance right next to Fury made more sense than keeping the old one unfortunately. :(

Paramount nearly drove the park into the ground. What was it they wanted to call it originally? Something dumb like Rip Roaring Fun Park or some other nonsense. They're also the ones who tore down the cave on the rapids ride and got rid of the log flume.

I'm seriously unhappy about Thunder Road though, it was iconic. My dad lives close enough to the park that I grew up waking up to the sounds of the riders screaming drifting through my open window lol.

geekza

Oh yeah definitely, I think Cedar Fair is doing a MUCH better job but they still have to care about that bottom dollar and a shiny new entrance right next to Fury made more sense than keeping the old one unfortunately. :(

Paramount nearly drove the park into the ground. What was it they wanted to call it originally? Something dumb like Rip Roaring Fun Park or some other nonsense. They're also the ones who tore down the cave on the rapids ride and got rid of the log flume.

I'm seriously unhappy about Thunder Road though, it was iconic. My dad lives close enough to the park that I grew up waking up to the sounds of the riders screaming drifting through my open window lol.
The problem with Paramount is that they saw Disney and Universal running movie-themed parks and thought they could just dive right in. The difference was that both Disney and Universal had been operating parks and attractions for a while and had learned how to design compelling attractions, manage crowds, handle food service, etc. Paramount knew nothing about that. Sure, they weren't starting from scratch with brand new parks, but operating theme parks at all is a completely different business than running a movie studio. The first couple of years weren't bad and they tossed a lot of money at the parks at that time, so there were lots of new rides that came about after a fairly long drought. They just couldn't keep up the pace and didn't pay enough attention to things like consistency in theming and upkeep of facilities. The parks started to really get run down and they lost a lot of money. If Cedar Fair hadn't come in when they did, I doubt the parks would still be open.

Missing_Aria

The problem with Paramount is that they saw Disney and Universal running movie-themed parks and thought they could just dive right in. The difference was that both Disney and Universal had been operating parks and attractions for a while and had learned how to design compelling attractions, manage crowds, handle food service, etc. Paramount knew nothing about that. Sure, they weren't starting from scratch with brand new parks, but operating theme parks at all is a completely different business than running a movie studio. The first couple of years weren't bad and they tossed a lot of money at the parks at that time, so there were lots of new rides that came about after a fairly long drought. They just couldn't keep up the pace and didn't pay enough attention to things like consistency in theming and upkeep of facilities. The parks started to really get run down and they lost a lot of money. If Cedar Fair hadn't come in when they did, I doubt the parks would still be open.

Agreed, case in point: RIP Smurf Island :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom