WDW has lost much of its magic.

geekza

Agreed, case in point: RIP Smurf Island :(
Ah, yes. When they got rid of the Hanna-Barbera license and switched it out for their own Nickelodeon properties, it was a sad day for my inner child. King's Island used to have a terrific boat ride that started by going through a giant TV screen and past scenes with all of the HB characters. It was no Small World, but it was nifty. That was then turned into a Smurf ride when they became popular. It was still pretty cool at that point. After that, the canal was filled in and it was turned into a knock-off of the Haunted Mansion called the Phantom Theater. Honestly, for what it was, they spent decent money on it and it was really enjoyable. Then someone thought it would be a good idea to tear that out (badly) and fill in the space with 2D black-light scenery and a few Scooby figures to turn it into a cut-rate Space Ranger Spin without the spin. Once they lost the license to Scooby, they didn't even bother making a new attraction. They just removed the Scooby characters and left the rest as-is. It's awful.

Sorry to derail the thread, folks. It's been fun reminiscing with you, @Missing_Aria !

Hcalvert

Fanboys will say I am wrong and I do not care;
I am sick of everybody just saying how great the place is.

• It is in Florida which means at least for me it is hard to get to and if you go in the summer do not complain when it reaches 95 degrees with 100% humanity and the daily afternoon storms
  • The crowds are terrible and it gets worse every year. Main street USA looks like a crowd of people waiting for a rock concert, the lines for attractions after the first hour when people really pack in go to about an hour just about everywhere. The few attractions you can count on are the Carousel of Progress, Hall of Presidents and the Country Bear Jamboree "maybe the Haunted Mansion"
  • The prices are out of control yet people still pack the place, over $100 just to get in, food you buy one of their terrible burgers, frozen fries, and coke maybe $15. They do have nice restaurants but unless you plan months in advance you will never get a meal and if you do plan get reservation you can spend $50 plus for one meal. The merchandise is also criminally priced, cheap golf shirt $50.
  • Experiences Magic Kingdom, Main Street stores where you can get over priced junk, push through crowds to get to other lands. Epcot Future World has been dumbed down for example Test Track, what do you learn about Transportation? World Show Case the cast is from the host countries but do not be fooled, you go to the UK IT IS NOT LIKE REALLY GOING to the UK. Hollywood Studios I can do Rock and Roll Coaster like it and this board people are always complaining about Aerosmith, I do not kid myself when the Star Wars area expands like Avatar there maybe one attraction tops worth the hype and you will never get close to it. Animal Kingdom the Avatar Land like I said been there 3 times and I am too old and fat to run to the one worthy attraction, and I am not waiting over two hours to try it. Nothing else in Animal Kingdom does anything for me.
After all my criticism why do I go ? WDW has got worse over the years, back when you had Magic Kingdom and EPCOT I really enjoyed the parks, I go now and then hoping rediscover past experiences.
Why do I still visit the board ? I keep hoping to rediscover the magic the place was in the 80s and 90s
Will I go back maybe but I will not go out of my way, if I am going to Tampa Bay for a cruise maybe visit WDW, but I will never relive the 80s again. All I have is pictures and video.

I kind of feel the same way since my last trip (I returned June 12). I found myself wanting to leave and go home at about day 4 because of the amount of rude people in and out of the parks, problems with the room, and/or I just plain was not feeling the "magic" this time. Usually, I go every year, but after this year's experiences, I don't think I will be returning back until 2021 at the earliest....if at all.

Missing_Aria

Ah, yes. When they got rid of the Hanna-Barbera license and switched it out for their own Nickelodeon properties, it was a sad day for my inner child. King's Island used to have a terrific boat ride that started by going through a giant TV screen and past scenes with all of the HB characters. It was no Small World, but it was nifty. That was then turned into a Smurf ride when they became popular. It was still pretty cool at that point. After that, the canal was filled in and it was turned into a knock-off of the Haunted Mansion called the Phantom Theater. Honestly, for what it was, they spent decent money on it and it was really enjoyable. Then someone thought it would be a good idea to tear that out (badly) and fill in the space with 2D black-light scenery and a few Scooby figures to turn it into a cut-rate Space Ranger Spin without the spin. Once they lost the license to Scooby, they didn't even bother making a new attraction. They just removed the Scooby characters and left the rest as-is. It's awful.

Sorry to derail the thread, folks. It's been fun reminiscing with you, @Missing_Aria !

XD I'm not sorry, it's nice to talk to someone who remember how that theater used to actually be a theater.

To bring it back to the topic, I think that's actually one of my favorite things about Disney World, they still know the value of live performances and acts. Carowinds used to have a bunch of those, now they're all gone except for the occasional presentation in the main theater showing off various schools' talents. I could sit for literally days re-watching Disney's live shows. So few parks out there even have them anymore.

Missing_Aria

I kind of feel the same way since my last trip (I returned June 12). I found myself wanting to leave and go home at about day 4 because of the amount of rude people in and out of the parks, problems with the room, and/or I just plain was not feeling the "magic" this time. Usually, I go every year, but after this year's experiences, I don't think I will be returning back until 2021 at the earliest....if at all.

Judging by your profile pic I think I can guess why 2021. Clearly you are an avid fan of the number 21. :p

KBLovedDisney

The problem with Paramount is that they saw Disney and Universal running movie-themed parks and thought they could just dive right in. The difference was that both Disney and Universal had been operating parks and attractions for a while and had learned how to design compelling attractions, manage crowds, handle food service, etc. Paramount knew nothing about that. Sure, they weren't starting from scratch with brand new parks, but operating theme parks at all is a completely different business than running a movie studio. The first couple of years weren't bad and they tossed a lot of money at the parks at that time, so there were lots of new rides that came about after a fairly long drought. They just couldn't keep up the pace and didn't pay enough attention to things like consistency in theming and upkeep of facilities. The parks started to really get run down and they lost a lot of money. If Cedar Fair hadn't come in when they did, I doubt the parks would still be open.
I do miss that Top Gun theme though, and Wayne's World:cry:

But that's really it. Just went to Carowinds this past weekend, and you can definitely tell the difference that Cedar Fair did. It was a great upgrade.

Missing_Aria

I do miss that Top Gun theme though, and Wayne's World:cry:

But that's really it. Just went to Carowinds this past weekend, and you can definitely tell the difference that Cedar Fair did. It was a great upgrade.

Weirdest thing is that Wayne's World has probably changed the least. They added in a go cart track but that was about it. Even though the name of the theme is gone everything else is basically the same. The Hurler even still had the Kewpie dolls in the factory last time I checked, but they'd cut down a ton on the other decorations.

Has Carowinds started making you pay for bag storage like the other Cedar Fair parks yet? I haven't been this year at all.

geekza

So few parks out there even have them anymore.
Theme park shows were a great way for young actors to gain experience and earn their Actor's Equity cards. Sadly, there are fewer and fewer of them around. My degree is in Theatre and I have several friends who got their feet in the door by doing theme park shows.

geekza

Weirdest thing is that Wayne's World has probably changed the least. They added in a go cart track but that was about it. Even though the name of the theme is gone everything else is basically the same. The Hurler even still had the Kewpie dolls in the factory last time I checked, but they'd cut down a ton on the other decorations.

Has Carowinds started making you pay for bag storage like the other Cedar Fair parks yet? I haven't been this year at all.
King's Dominion also had a Hurler. Great coaster. That whole section was really fun when it was Wayne's World themed.

KBLovedDisney

They do have lockers you can pay for, and for riding Fury 325, you have to get a locker. Most other rides though, have free storage at or around the loading areas.
I know the rides are still there in Wayne's World, but I miss the theme more so like the restaurant aesthetics, and the mirthmobile.

Missing_Aria

They do have lockers you can pay for, and for riding Fury 325, you have to get a locker. Most other rides though, have free storage at or around the loading areas.

Yeah that's how it is when I was there last. Honestly I went to Six Flags Great Adventure once and I've never been so grateful for free storage at Carowinds and Disney parks in my life. Seriously, even a small, crossbody purse (Or drink cups) has to go in a locker at a Six Flags park and you either have to leave them in there and not have access to them all day or pay every single time you go to a new area. I'll never go to Six Flags again, once was enough.

Want to loose magic in a park in one visit? Take a look at how Six Flags does it.

KBLovedDisney

Yeah that's how it is when I was there last. Honestly I went to Six Flags Great Adventure once and I've never been so grateful for free storage at Carowinds and Disney parks in my life. Seriously, even a small, crossbody purse (Or drink cups) has to go in a locker at a Six Flags park and you either have to leave them in there and not have access to them all day or pay every single time you go to a new area. I'll never go to Six Flags again, once was enough.

Want to loose magic in a park in one visit? Take a look at how Six Flags does it.
That's why I haven't been going back to Six Flags.:depressed: I honestly couldn't remember why I never went back before because I haven't been there in over 9 years. The only thing I miss is the rides Batman and Superman, but that's really it.

• It is in Florida which means at least for me it is hard to get to and if you go in the summer do not complain when it reaches 95 degrees with 100% humanity and the daily afternoon storms
  • The crowds are terrible and it gets worse every year. Main street USA looks like a crowd of people waiting for a rock concert, the lines for attractions after the first hour when people really pack in go to about an hour just about everywhere. The few attractions you can count on are the Carousel of Progress, Hall of Presidents and the Country Bear Jamboree "maybe the Haunted Mansion"
  • The prices are out of control yet people still pack the place, over $100 just to get in, food you buy one of their terrible burgers, frozen fries, and coke maybe $15. They do have nice restaurants but unless you plan months in advance you will never get a meal and if you do plan get reservation you can spend $50 plus for one meal. The merchandise is also criminally priced, cheap golf shirt $50.
  • Experiences Magic Kingdom, Main Street stores where you can get over priced junk, push through crowds to get to other lands. Epcot Future World has been dumbed down for example Test Track, what do you learn about Transportation? World Show Case the cast is from the host countries but do not be fooled, you go to the UK IT IS NOT LIKE REALLY GOING to the UK. Hollywood Studios I can do Rock and Roll Coaster like it and this board people are always complaining about Aerosmith, I do not kid myself when the Star Wars area expands like Avatar there maybe one attraction tops worth the hype and you will never get close to it. Animal Kingdom the Avatar Land like I said been there 3 times and I am too old and fat to run to the one worthy attraction, and I am not waiting over two hours to try it. Nothing else in Animal Kingdom does anything for me.
After all my criticism why do I go ? WDW has got worse over the years, back when you had Magic Kingdom and EPCOT I really enjoyed the parks, I go now and then hoping rediscover past experiences.
Why do I still visit the board ? I keep hoping to rediscover the magic the place was in the 80s and 90s
Will I go back maybe but I will not go out of my way, if I am going to Tampa Bay for a cruise maybe visit WDW, but I will never relive the 80s again. All I have is pictures and video.
No criticism here -you are correct and for those who continue to wonder why some state what is happening, it is because of how awesome it was and how awesome it could be again because we were there to see it.

dieboy

I'll throw in .. maybe again I can't remember.

So .. yes, some of us have the back in the day. Some hang on to it for a long time.

I've found over the years, I still get glimpses of magic. However, what also absolutely floors me .. is watching the logistics of a monster of a resort happen right before my eyes. Sooo .. I guess it amazes me in a different way as an adult? Or I could just be weird. Well .. that is probably it..

LittleBuford

No criticism here -you are correct and for those who continue to wonder why some state what is happening, it is because of how awesome it was and how awesome it could be again because we were there to see it.

I wish I'd seen it before it got moved to Florida and when the UK pavilion was still just like Blighty herself!

eliza61nyc

I don't wonder about how great it was back in the day. I didn't go back then but I can believe it simply because a lot of things were "better" 30 years ago and many here are long term visitors. perception and time are funny things though.

I do say that I can't understand why if you go some where and you constantly compare it as being "better" at another time you continue to spend the dough. now I have heard others say that they still have a good time and some one compared it to liking a professional sports team, but you really couldn't tell. it just makes me giggle, a person goes on vacation, spends thousands of dollars, come back and only complains (maybe that's the issue, poster never talk about their good time) and then get confuse when people say, "don't go back",

I really do wish I had a time machine, now I really want to see this great Disneyworld. (not including the crowd issue, that's a product of it being great)

Missing_Aria

It's too bad WDW doesn't add or update more shows regulary, a show like Beauty and the Beast at DHS in a generic Theatre should be updated about every 4-5 years.

Yeah I'll definitely agree with that. Beauty and the Beast is my favorite of the princess movies and yet the live show was still sort of w/e for me. A big part of that was that the theater was really uncomfortable though I think... It's really weird that show is outside while most shows like it are inside. And it'd be nice if it was something other than them just acting out the movie, I mean we've all seen the movie if we're at that show I'd think. Most of the other live shows are something completely new that isn't in the movie.

Cmdr_Crimson

I kind of miss the Eisner-ian Whimsy the parks had..Even the commericals had it and it made me want to go in how they presented it.

The Iger-esque era....Ehhhhhh.....With using the Slow-mo family through the parks and not having ANY PROBLEMS in them (Which is by far the lies of the ads)..And what is it with Guitar or Ukulele's in these commercials including the words..."There's a Place" now a days geeze...

Disneyhead'71

I kind of miss the Eisner-ian Whimsy the parks had..Even the commericals had it and it made me want to go in how they presented it.

The Iger-esque era....Ehhhhhh.....With using the Slow-mo family through the parks and not having ANY PROBLEMS in them (Which is by far the lies of the ads)..And what is it with Guitar or Ukulele's in these commercials including the words..."There's a Place" now a days geeze...

That second ad is poorly edited. Particularly the jump cut in the pool.

Hcalvert

During my first visit to WDW and MK in 1990, I remember taking the boat from the TTC and being totally geeked out that Goofy came by waterskiing and waving. That is one memory that I hold onto about "old" Disney almost 30 years later.

ILOVEDISNEY

You make some very valid points. I’ve been to WDW 501 days now and counting since 1977. What people are missing is the financial status of Disney, both short and long term. As long as investors (Disclaimer: I’m a DIP member) are happy nothing will change—the status quo is good enough. Plans are just that—plans. Getting the board of directors on board and procuring financing are always the stumbling blocks. I poised the question some years ago concerning the closing of WDW. You would have thought I was some sort of heretic, and not a huge Disney fan since 1955 after my first visit to DL. WDW will eventually close, albeit not in my lifetime, which is in the twilight years, but it will close. Sorry.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom