WDW has lost much of its magic.

Astro_Digital

Original Poster
Fanboys will say I am wrong and I do not care;
I am sick of everybody just saying how great the place is.

• It is in Florida which means at least for me it is hard to get to and if you go in the summer do not complain when it reaches 95 degrees with 100% humanity and the daily afternoon storms
  • The crowds are terrible and it gets worse every year. Main street USA looks like a crowd of people waiting for a rock concert, the lines for attractions after the first hour when people really pack in go to about an hour just about everywhere. The few attractions you can count on are the Carousel of Progress, Hall of Presidents and the Country Bear Jamboree "maybe the Haunted Mansion"
  • The prices are out of control yet people still pack the place, over $100 just to get in, food you buy one of their terrible burgers, frozen fries, and coke maybe $15. They do have nice restaurants but unless you plan months in advance you will never get a meal and if you do plan get reservation you can spend $50 plus for one meal. The merchandise is also criminally priced, cheap golf shirt $50.
  • Experiences Magic Kingdom, Main Street stores where you can get over priced junk, push through crowds to get to other lands. Epcot Future World has been dumbed down for example Test Track, what do you learn about Transportation? World Show Case the cast is from the host countries but do not be fooled, you go to the UK IT IS NOT LIKE REALLY GOING to the UK. Hollywood Studios I can do Rock and Roll Coaster like it and this board people are always complaining about Aerosmith, I do not kid myself when the Star Wars area expands like Avatar there maybe one attraction tops worth the hype and you will never get close to it. Animal Kingdom the Avatar Land like I said been there 3 times and I am too old and fat to run to the one worthy attraction, and I am not waiting over two hours to try it. Nothing else in Animal Kingdom does anything for me.
After all my criticism why do I go ? WDW has got worse over the years, back when you had Magic Kingdom and EPCOT I really enjoyed the parks, I go now and then hoping rediscover past experiences.
Why do I still visit the board ? I keep hoping to rediscover the magic the place was in the 80s and 90s
Will I go back maybe but I will not go out of my way, if I am going to Tampa Bay for a cruise maybe visit WDW, but I will never relive the 80s again. All I have is pictures and video.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
oh-boy-this-zsydpl.jpg

wagner1225

We tend to agree, they need to upgrade the so-called premium restaurants , and they only have two parks we now like AK and MK, and prices have got crazy, we have been going for more years than most peoples age, and have seen a lot of changes, most changes are not for us,

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
To clarify ;
Your opinion is not wrong but neither is that of someone who loves the things you don't.
That being said, posting a diatribe like you did on a Disney fan site is bound to be met with criticism.
Again, if that's how the parks make you feel then you are entitled to feel that way and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

PurpleDragon

While you are more than welcome to your opinion, I will say that you seem to continually set yourself up for disappointment by expecting to relive the experience you had as a kid in the 80s and 90s. WDW has evolved from those days to appeal to a wider audience (that seem to have different tastes than you). While I agree that the parks don't have the same magic as they did back in the day when it was still somewhat of an undiscovered gem, its still a fun place to go if you know how to plan ahead, navigate between parks, and avoid peak crowds.

KBLovedDisney

• It is in Florida which means at least for me it is hard to get to and if you go in the summer do not complain when it reaches 95 degrees with 100% humanity and the daily afternoon storms Most people who visit are not from Florida so they don't know the weather
  • The crowds are terrible and it gets worse every year. Main street USA looks like a crowd of people waiting for a rock concert, the lines for attractions after the first hour when people really pack in go to about an hour just about everywhere. The few attractions you can count on are the Carousel of Progress, Hall of Presidents and the Country Bear Jamboree "maybe the Haunted Mansion" Disney is more popular than ever now = a lot more crowds
  • The prices are out of control yet people still pack the place, over $100 just to get in, food you buy one of their terrible burgers, frozen fries, and coke maybe $15. They do have nice restaurants but unless you plan months in advance you will never get a meal and if you do plan get reservation you can spend $50 plus for one meal. The merchandise is also criminally priced, cheap golf shirt $50. See the above answer to 2
  • Experiences Magic Kingdom, Main Street stores where you can get over priced junk, push through crowds to get to other lands. Epcot Future World has been dumbed down for example Test Track, what do you learn about Transportation? World Show Case the cast is from the host countries but do not be fooled, you go to the UK IT IS NOT LIKE REALLY GOING to the UK. Hollywood Studios I can do Rock and Roll Coaster like it and this board people are always complaining about Aerosmith, I do not kid myself when the Star Wars area expands like Avatar there maybe one attraction tops worth the hype and you will never get close to it. Animal Kingdom the Avatar Land like I said been there 3 times and I am too old and fat to run to the one worthy attraction, and I am not waiting over two hours to try it. Nothing else in Animal Kingdom does anything for me. It's a theme park and Disney is a business. The only way they are going to keep up with today's generation is changing things to appeal to today's generation
After all my criticism why do I go ? Yeah, why do you go?
dw3rqb.jpg

geekza

I mean, WDW has always been in Florida. The weather is one of the reasons it was built there. It allows it to be open year-round and, aside from the occasional hurricane and thunderstorm, the weather is fine for tourists. Yes, it gets hot and humid in the summers but, again, this has always been the case.

I agree that the massive crowds and astronomical price hikes are disappointing, especially since it isn't like paying all the extra money has translated to keeping the parks in tip-top condition.

The loss of the individual shops along Main Street has always bothered me, but that was Eisner's doing. Everything had to turn a profit. I really miss the Penny Arcade, the Magic Shop, the flower shop, and being able to actually watch movies in the Main Street Cinema. Alas, such is commerce.

I really get your point. It isn't as wonderful as it once was, but the world has changed and the Disney company has changed. At least those of us who experienced WDW at its peak can have our memories and enjoy the things that remain. I'm still looking forward to going back after 12 years. There are new things I want to experience and classic attractions to take me back to my childhood. It's not the perfect mix, but I'll take it over no WDW at all.

nickys

Premium Member
Seemed just like home to me 😁

Slightly off topic perhaps, but on my last trip, when we went to the Rose and Crown for lunch as part of the World Showcase tour, my DS and I met two of the CP kids who both went to the same school as my boys.

Not only that but at AKL we met another girl from Edinburgh on the CP programme, when we were waiting for pizza from the Mara.

NickMaio

You have some good points.
However, there is still some good old fashioned fun to be hard in WDW parks.

I have been to WDW parks more than 100 times - my parents started to take me when I was three. As an adult I kept coming back.
We literally tune out the crowds and cranky people. We talk to those who look like they are having fun in lines. We enjoy our little Disney bubble.

Because at the end of the day, let's be honest, there really is nothing like a WDW park.
Even with all the negatives and changes, it still is, and always will be, an amazing experience.

Try this before going on your next WDW trip. Try some meditative yoga, tuning out the exterior and focusing on what you want.
The last few trips we took, before out little one was born, we felt that the park was ours to experience.
We focused on so much more, and tuned almost EVERYONE out.

We are going back with our 10 month old this summer. We will only go to 1 or 2 parks this time but we have the same perception in mind.
We honestly can't wait to take our little guy. So much positive to experience - - - - -

I think this is why people still keep coming in droves.

rangerbob

This is all so true. I put my money where my mouth was. I let the annual pass go. Do I miss certain things yes especially the fireworks shows. The 2 used to be fantastic but I haven't seen the new castle light projection show with some fireworks at the Magic Kingdom yet so I can't say what it is all about. I've seen the sort of fireworks show from Ft. Wilderness beach and wasn't impressed by that portion of it. The soundtrack was OK.

gustaftp

The Magic is still very much alive for me -- but I purposely visit in either January or late April/early May in the lull between Spring Break and summer break.

I find that huge crowds -- more than any other factor -- will make me downright crabby and negative, and that starts to taint my perception of the parks. The only trip I can't say I enjoyed was when I visited in August one year due to the heat and crowds.

Crazydisneygirl

Disneyland still has the magic so might want to try going there. But Disney World is bigger and more to do for my family. We can only afford it every 4 years but we do what we can. From where I live I can pop down to Disneyland for 4 days for under $800 each for flight, tickets and hotel. And this trip in September is costing me almost $10,000 for 3 adults for 11 days. Could go cheaper by staying at a value but once you stay at a Deluxe, its hard to go back. I am looking for my magic this year and even just spending the time with family is great. My son loves Epcot for the countries.

ppete1975

I just don't understand why someone who doesn't like something would continue to go. No matter how many times you go its not going to bring back your past experiences, in fact it is prob going to taint them. Reading these boards and reading the negative stuff will also make you fixate on those things instead of your good memories. I suggest holding on to your good memories and find something else you enjoy, maybe try universal or traveling and seeing the world. If the Disney world in its current state isn't to your liking.. esp if you want it to move to another state, maybe is a good time to get out before you destroy all the magic that remember. It isn't going to change, in fact the crowds are about to get a lot lot worse.... the people are going to be more crabby (due to those crowds).... you aren't going to see star wars for 2 years after it opens. Maybe time to enjoy other things.

Just my two cents, I don't know you and I'm really not trying to be a jerk.. I just don't understand how you would have those thoughts and continue to frequent a message board about it, and visit the parks.. in fact your money is telling them everything is ok.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom