WDW has lost much of its magic.

draybook

I couldn't agree more with the pricing. We were looking at "Free Dining" for September. There's 6 of us now, four adults(including two teens) and 2 infants aged under 2. Due to our party size, we had to get a suite at the All-Stars to get the cheapest rate. Even with it being at a "value resort", it was going to be $259 a night. So, for a 9 night stay there with the minimum passes required, it would have been almost six THOUSAND dollars. That's including the crummy quick service plan, since they starting jipping the moderates out of the table service plan. To upgrade the difference to the regular plan would have put us around $6600.

Nah, bruh, I don't think so. We have APs so tickets and parking are taken care of. We'll rent a house a few minutes off site for around $72 a night and have our own rooms, washer/dryer, private pool and still be only 5-10 minutes off property. They can keep their measly extra magic hours. Oh, and the home owners don't charge for parking. Even when you factor in the table meals we'll pay out of pocket for, it's not even close by a long shot on value.

I have some other thoughts on what's going on at WDW, but I'll try to slip those into a trip report. We just got back early Tuesday morning so I'm still recuperating.

Raineman

I disagree. You have your opinion, I have mine, and I am not here to belittle you for yours, because that seems to happen too much here, and it's not just the doom-and-gloomers that do it-the pixie dusters do it too. I don't think I fall into either category-call me either a pixie-gloomer or doom-and-duster, I guess. There are some things about WDW that I don't like, but in no way are they bad enough to stop me from wanting to visit every year or two, or stop me from enjoying myself. If and when they do, I will not go. If I was not in a financial position to afford a WDW trip, I wouldn't break the bank or go into debt to do it. I spend very little money on souvenirs, the crowds are manageable (for me, at least) and I always go in the spring or fall, so the oppressively hot weather is not a factor.

crxbrett

The only thing I sort of dislike, although I kind of like planning so I have a love-hate relationship with it, is the FP+ and ADRs have to be booked so far in advance. I tend to like being spontaneous more often than not, so the FP+ and ADR systems have sort of sucked that fun aspect out of my WDW vacations. I remember booking a dinner over the phone in the middle of July for 'Ohana and CA Grill in 2006 after I was already at the resort. Never would happen now. I do miss that aspect of being able to things last minute without planning required. But I was still able to do quite a bit of spontaneous things on my last trip last summer, so it's not all bad!

But barring those 2 things, there's just as much magic as ever for me at The World. It's still my favorite place to visit and just unwind, relax, have fun, let myself go and completely escape and leave behind all the troubles in the world I have for the other 50 weeks of my year.

LittleBuford

It is in Florida which means at least for me it is hard to get to and if you go in the summer do not complain when it reaches 95 degrees with 100% humanity and the daily afternoon storms

World Show Case the cast is from the host countries but do not be fooled, you go to the UK IT IS NOT LIKE REALLY GOING to the UK.

I can't tell if you're being entirely serious. Your first reason for going off WDW is that it's in Florida, but it's always been in Florida. And was World Showcase ever a truly authentic experience?

For me, the magic is still very much there. I'm not saying you're wrong for feeling otherwise, but it's all a matter of opinion. I like the fact that the UK pavilion isn't like the real UK -- that's what makes it an escapist fantasy (I'm from the real UK!). As for the crowds, I once went to the parks in the early 2000s when there were far fewer people there, and I have to say that the place felt strangely desolate. I know most people here hate how populated the parks have become, but I actually like the buzz and energy.

Last edited:

geekza

The only thing I sort of dislike, although I kind of like planning so I have a love-hate relationship with it, is the FP+ and ADRs have to be booked so far in advance. I tend to like being spontaneous more often than not, so the FP+ and ADR systems have sort of sucked that fun aspect out of my WDW vacations. I remember booking a dinner over the phone in the middle of July for 'Ohana and CA Grill in 2006 after I was already at the resort. Never would happen now. I do miss that aspect of being able to things last minute without planning required. But I was still able to do quite a bit of spontaneous things on my last trip last summer, so it's not all bad!

But barring those 2 things, there's just as much magic as ever for me at The World. It's still my favorite place to visit and just unwind, relax, have fun, let myself go and completely escape and leave behind all the troubles in the world I have for the other 50 weeks of my year.
I have to agree. I went to WDW back in January of 1997 for a week. There were people, but the longest we had to wait to ride anything was maybe 10-15 minutes. Most attractions were practically walk-ons. We were able to relax, never be in a hurry, and spontaneously go ride or do whatever we felt like. It was amazing.

The last time I went was the summer of 2006. It was summer, so there were crowds, but it still wasn't awful. There were a few attractions, like Peter Pan, that would get a pretty long line as the day wore on, but that kind of thing was still the exception to the rule. This was during the era of paper FastPasses. Honestly, I loved those. They still allowed for spontaneity.

This time is already a different story and we don't even go until the week of Thanksgiving. I had to figure out more than six months in advance which parks we'll be visiting during what hours on each day. My butt was on the MDE app at 6:00am 180 days out to get meal reservations at BOG, since it's my wife's first trip to WDW and I think she'll like it. I've been making multiple touring plans in an attempt to wring as many attractions as I can, with as few 30+ waits as possible. I've been working out which attractions at each park will be the best use of FastPass and at what time of the day.

While the planning has definitely kept me excited for a trip that is still months away, it has also caused extra stress and killed any sense of spontaneity that existed on my previous trips. I'm really glad that we have six days in the parks, because I'm hoping that it will allow us to slow down a little bit and still see most of what we'd like to see.

jloucks

Fanboys will say I am wrong and I do not care;
I am sick of everybody just saying how great the place is.

• It is in Florida which means at least for me it is hard to get to and if you go in the summer do not complain when it reaches 95 degrees with 100% humanity and the daily afternoon storms
  • The crowds are terrible and it gets worse every year. Main street USA looks like a crowd of people waiting for a rock concert, the lines for attractions after the first hour when people really pack in go to about an hour just about everywhere. The few attractions you can count on are the Carousel of Progress, Hall of Presidents and the Country Bear Jamboree "maybe the Haunted Mansion"
  • The prices are out of control yet people still pack the place, over $100 just to get in, food you buy one of their terrible burgers, frozen fries, and coke maybe $15. They do have nice restaurants but unless you plan months in advance you will never get a meal and if you do plan get reservation you can spend $50 plus for one meal. The merchandise is also criminally priced, cheap golf shirt $50.
  • Experiences Magic Kingdom, Main Street stores where you can get over priced junk, push through crowds to get to other lands. Epcot Future World has been dumbed down for example Test Track, what do you learn about Transportation? World Show Case the cast is from the host countries but do not be fooled, you go to the UK IT IS NOT LIKE REALLY GOING to the UK. Hollywood Studios I can do Rock and Roll Coaster like it and this board people are always complaining about Aerosmith, I do not kid myself when the Star Wars area expands like Avatar there maybe one attraction tops worth the hype and you will never get close to it. Animal Kingdom the Avatar Land like I said been there 3 times and I am too old and fat to run to the one worthy attraction, and I am not waiting over two hours to try it. Nothing else in Animal Kingdom does anything for me.
After all my criticism why do I go ? WDW has got worse over the years, back when you had Magic Kingdom and EPCOT I really enjoyed the parks, I go now and then hoping rediscover past experiences.
Why do I still visit the board ? I keep hoping to rediscover the magic the place was in the 80s and 90s
Will I go back maybe but I will not go out of my way, if I am going to Tampa Bay for a cruise maybe visit WDW, but I will never relive the 80s again. All I have is pictures and video.

Why anybody would go in the summer is beyond me. I guess if you had no other choice. Somehow.

Lines are not always nightmarish. Except of course, in the summer.

I have to completely disagree with you about the price. If the prices were out of control, there would be no problem with lines. Those are mutually exclusive.

Main street has overpriced product, but I would not call it collectively junk.

Nope, the 80's are gone. Nostalgia plays tricks on the mind. Makes things recall better than they were.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
[*]It is in Florida which means at least for me it is hard to get to and if you go in the summer do not complain when it reaches 95 degrees with 100% humanity and the daily afternoon storms
Good news -- Animal Kingdom is well under 100% humanity...
I agree with a lot but since when does Disney control the weather? I mean, I wouldn't put it past them... And hasn't it always been in Florida?
We've seen VMK, and we know there is a "spell room"... and yet it never appears on any maps...

eliza61nyc

princess.gif
I love this meme thanks KB

Rumrunner

Fanboys will say I am wrong and I do not care;
I am sick of everybody just saying how great the place is.

• It is in Florida which means at least for me it is hard to get to and if you go in the summer do not complain when it reaches 95 degrees with 100% humanity and the daily afternoon storms
  • The crowds are terrible and it gets worse every year. Main street USA looks like a crowd of people waiting for a rock concert, the lines for attractions after the first hour when people really pack in go to about an hour just about everywhere. The few attractions you can count on are the Carousel of Progress, Hall of Presidents and the Country Bear Jamboree "maybe the Haunted Mansion"
  • The prices are out of control yet people still pack the place, over $100 just to get in, food you buy one of their terrible burgers, frozen fries, and coke maybe $15. They do have nice restaurants but unless you plan months in advance you will never get a meal and if you do plan get reservation you can spend $50 plus for one meal. The merchandise is also criminally priced, cheap golf shirt $50.
  • Experiences Magic Kingdom, Main Street stores where you can get over priced junk, push through crowds to get to other lands. Epcot Future World has been dumbed down for example Test Track, what do you learn about Transportation? World Show Case the cast is from the host countries but do not be fooled, you go to the UK IT IS NOT LIKE REALLY GOING to the UK. Hollywood Studios I can do Rock and Roll Coaster like it and this board people are always complaining about Aerosmith, I do not kid myself when the Star Wars area expands like Avatar there maybe one attraction tops worth the hype and you will never get close to it. Animal Kingdom the Avatar Land like I said been there 3 times and I am too old and fat to run to the one worthy attraction, and I am not waiting over two hours to try it. Nothing else in Animal Kingdom does anything for me.
After all my criticism why do I go ? WDW has got worse over the years, back when you had Magic Kingdom and EPCOT I really enjoyed the parks, I go now and then hoping rediscover past experiences.
Why do I still visit the board ? I keep hoping to rediscover the magic the place was in the 80s and 90s
Will I go back maybe but I will not go out of my way, if I am going to Tampa Bay for a cruise maybe visit WDW, but I will never relive the 80s again. All I have is pictures and video.
I have been going since 1975 and many of the changes have been dramatic. I have come to accept parts of the magic have changed never to be enjoyed again and that is hard for me but my kids and grand kids are having new and wonderful experiences. Disney is a 1200 mile trip and we always drive, we stay at moderate resorts, we are very wise with our food budget and eat only one meal a day at the park. We have saved a small fortune eating breakfast in our room, taking snacks to the park, eat one meal at the part, and have sandwiches, salads, etc when we get back to the room.
We are leaving tomorrow-June 9th for our trip-three families and 3 generations. Our rule is once we get to Disney we make everything positive. Negativity is not allowed. All we can do is accept the changes, yearn for some of the nostalgia of the past, and find new excitement in what Disney is today.

LittleBuford

I really get your point. It isn't as wonderful as it once was, but the world has changed and the Disney company has changed. At least those of us who experienced WDW at its peak can have our memories and enjoy the things that remain. I'm still looking forward to going back after 12 years. There are new things I want to experience and classic attractions to take me back to my childhood. It's not the perfect mix, but I'll take it over no WDW at all.

This seems to be the prevalent opinion on these forums -- that WDW is still great, even if not as good as it once was. Is there anyone else here who, like me, thinks that WDW is just as wonderful as it always was? I'm not denying that certain things have changed for the worse, but many others have changed for the better, and I struggle to understand all the negativity.

You have some good points.
However, there is still some good old fashioned fun to be hard in WDW parks.

I have been to WDW parks more than 100 times - my parents started to take me when I was three. As an adult I kept coming back.
We literally tune out the crowds and cranky people. We talk to those who look like they are having fun in lines. We enjoy our little Disney bubble.

Because at the end of the day, let's be honest, there really is nothing like a WDW park.
Even with all the negatives and changes, it still is, and always will be, an amazing experience.

Try this before going on your next WDW trip. Try some meditative yoga, tuning out the exterior and focusing on what you want.
The last few trips we took, before out little one was born, we felt that the park was ours to experience.
We focused on so much more, and tuned almost EVERYONE out.

We are going back with our 10 month old this summer. We will only go to 1 or 2 parks this time but we have the same perception in mind.
We honestly can't wait to take our little guy. So much positive to experience - - - - -

I think this is why people still keep coming in droves.
The other day the crowd at Fantasmic alone was magical. Everyone was so excited and into the show. Cheering for Mickey, dancing before the show started, doing the wave...we had a blast. Today Alice paused on her brisk walk to comment on my red dress and how I most definitely must paint the roses red. It made me smile inside. I also look for moments to bring a little magic myself to people I don't know. Saw a little boy with a bday button the other night and had some extra glow sticks on hand. His entire face lit up. This week we haven't waited more than 25 mins for anything. We did have good fast passes and know how to keep getting extra ones. Enjoyed helping a family learn this and hope it helped bring some extra magic to their four year old daughter for the remainder of their trip. The first time I brought my kids was in 2005 and it was cheaper and we got free dining easy etc. I completely understand frustration and disappointment and every person has a right to how they feel. But we still find making memories here and finding magical moments is possible and even try to spread a little when we can. Tomorrow is our last day and I have no idea how many years until we can come back. College expenses loom on the horizon. But this has been a very good trip indeed and one my kids and I will remember for a very long time. To the cast member I watched keep her cool in front of my kids when someone blew up at her...I thank you for setting a good example and hope your day got better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom