WDW has lost much of its magic.

DisneyDoctor

This seems to be the prevalent opinion on these forums -- that WDW is still great, even if not as good as it once was. Is there anyone else here who, like me, thinks that WDW is just as wonderful as it always was? I'm not denying that certain things have changed for the worse, but many others have changed for the better, and I struggle to understand all the negativity.
I think the negativity may reflect different things than actual state of WDW.

LUVofDIS

The first time I went was 1994, and I do miss many things from that time. But there are things that have been changed and/or added that are much better than that time period.

I feel the MK is better, AK is new since my first time and I love almost everything about it. I am 50/50 on HS, with the addition of TSM, Fantasmic and RnRC and the loss of the Studio Backlot Tour, Great Movie Ride and the Osbourne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights it sort of averages out, maybe. EPCOT overall has gotten worse, it has its shinning parts but much seems to be wasted.

Typhoon Lagoon is the same, although it still upsets me when the Miss Tilly doesn't erupt with its watery glory. Blizzard Beach has been added and though I like TL better it is a nice addition. I do miss River Country, it just had an awesome feeling tied to it.

Discovery Island is sort of missed but AK more than makes up for it.

As for the World Showcase, there is no way you can fit a whole country in an acre of land or however big it is. It is meant to give you a sense of the culture, to maybe get you excited about and want to learn more about it. It would be impossible to create a true authentic feeling of the country.

At this point I still love to plan and visit a trip or two each year to WDW. I still see and experience new things each time. Its not perfect, but it wasn't perfect back in 94. Its more of WDW provides a wonderful setting and all that is needed is you wanting to have a magical time. There are other forces that can put a damper, but you, yourself have to be willing to make it a good time. If you're not willing than it wont be and that's okay, Disney is not for everyone.

Disneyhead'71

It is not the same product I grew up with, and the new version doesn't really appeal to me. But apparently it is quite popular with millions of people. It is what it is.

Nubs70

Had the mushy peas at Rose n Crown. Those.are.not mushy peas.my friend. They tasted like mushy cardboard.

How difficult is it to make mushy peas???

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
Sometimes it's best to think about all the things that are still magical at WDW. That being said, the place is an embarrassment.

LittleBuford

Make it magical? The rides that are still left, the fireworks, atmosphere, etc.

Embarrassing? The lack of maintenance, a big chunk of Epcot, questionable design decisions, the Yeti statue, and so on.

Thanks for elaborating. For me, something has to be truly shambolic to qualify as an embarrassment, which is why I was surprised to see you describe WDW as such.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
Thanks for elaborating. For me, something has to be truly shambolic to qualify as an embarrassment, which is why I was surprised to see you describe WDW as such.

I probably should've said some elements are an embarrassment. Overall WDW is a magical place but compared to Disneyland, Tokyo Disneyland, DisneySea the lack of care in certain areas is obvious.

LittleBuford

I probably should've said some elements are an embarrassment. Overall WDW is a magical place but compared to Disneyland, Tokyo Disneyland, DisneySea the lack of care in certain areas is obvious.

I can't speak to the Tokyo parks (which do look absolutely amazing), but I do think people here romanticise Disneyland rather too much. I was there earlier this year and saw paint chipping away in parts of Fantasyland. It was nothing terrible, and I'm sure it'll be fixed before long, but it did make me think that people hold WDW to an unfair standard.

eliza61nyc

This seems to be the prevalent opinion on these forums -- that WDW is still great, even if not as good as it once was. Is there anyone else here who, like me, thinks that WDW is just as wonderful as it always was? I'm not denying that certain things have changed for the worse, but many others have changed for the better, and I struggle to understand all the negativity.

I do.
So first, I'm not one who constantly compares stuff to 1999? and always admit that I never understand the obsession with nostalgia. Seriously, you spend thousands of dollars to go on vacation and your mindset during and after is that it was "better" before. How is that a vacation? that's not to say if you feel that way it's wrong but unfortunately Disney is not going back to the 90's, if you can't accept that it may be you will be doomed to dissatisfaction.

Then you keep going back expecting it to be different, isn't that one definition of insanity? ;) someone keeps going back "hoping" to recapture the magic of the 80's and 90's. wow!! I wish I had that type of disposable income. Now I get the crowd issue, who likes crowds? but once again if one really detest crowds I would say wdw is no longer the place for you. Obviously the mouseman is doing something correct as the crowds keep growing.

Lastly, I also admit, I am not the ride connoisseur that many here are. Do I care if King Triton has hair fibers while all the others have plastic hair? nope. Do I care if the tracks on the new slinky dog are "outside" tracks, not in the least and I don't compare all rides to the Pirates of the Caribbean. I simply relax and enjoy the experience.
I love my wdw vacations. Have I gotten a bad meal, oh of course but I've also had lousy meals in Paris and my hometown of NYC, but I will say I'm not one to waste my money. If I have two bad meals at a restaurant that's it, not going back. My late husband and I went to Jamaica twice, both times the vacation was "meh" so I have not been back nor will I be going back.
So I do ask honestly to people, if you are having all these negative experiences anyplace, not just wdw why would you continue to frequent a spot? If Tokyo and Paris Disney is much better simply go to those parks.

I just chalk it up to we are a society that likes to criticize more than compliment.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

I do.
So first, I'm not one who constantly compares stuff to 1999? and always admit that I never understand the obsession with nostalgia. Seriously, you spend thousands of dollars to go on vacation and your mindset during and after is that it was "better" before. How is that a vacation?

Then you keep going back expecting it to be different, isn't that one definition of insanity? ;) someone keeps going back "hoping" to recapture the magic of the 80's and 90's. wow!! I wish I had that type of disposable income. Now I get the crowd issue, who likes crowds? but once again if one really detest crowds I would say wdw is no longer the place for you. Obviously the mouseman is doing something correct as the crowds keep growing.

Lastly, I also admit, I am not the ride connoisseur that many here are. Do I care if King Triton has hair fibers while all the others have plastic hair? nope. Do I care if the tracks on the new slinky dog are "outside" tracks, not in the least and I don't compare all rides to the Pirates of the Caribbean. I simply relax and enjoy the experience.
I love my wdw vacations. Have I gotten a bad meal, oh of course but I've also had lousy meals in Paris and my hometown of NYC, but I will say I'm not one to waste my money. If I have two bad meals at a restaurant that's it, not going back. My late husband and I went to Jamaica twice, both times the vacation was "meh" so I have not been back nor will I be going back.
So I do ask honestly to people, if you are having all these negative experiences anyplace, not just wdw why would you continue to frequent a spot? If Tokyo and Paris Disney is much better simply go to those parks.

I just chalk it up to we are a society that likes to criticize more than compliment.

It baffles me also that people are willing to spend thousands of dollars on a place they consider to be going down the tubes. There is a world beyond the World if the latter no longer makes them happy!

As for the connoisseurs, while I understand some of their gripes (I'm also a very fussy person), I think that nostalgia blinds them to the fact that differences in quality have always been there. During my first visits to Disneyland and WDW as a child in 1991, I remember noticing how basic some of the Fantasyland dark rides looked and wondering why they weren't as elaborate as, say, the Pirates of the Caribbean. If Mr. Toad's Wild Ride were built today, people would rip it to shreds for being nothing more than a bunch of cardboard cutouts.

nickys

Premium Member
So many times waits are listed as 30+ and really end up being 10-15 or even walk ons.

This is a problem why?

This is called "managing people's expectations". If it was the other way round, people would get annoyed, this way you're through before you were expecting to be. Not seeing a problem so far.

The other thing it can do is to discourage people from joining a queue, either as it becomes too long or towards the end of the night. Not really a problem imo. YMMV?

Tony the Tigger

World Show Case the cast is from the host countries but do not be fooled, you go to the UK IT IS NOT LIKE REALLY GOING to the UK.

Is this a joke?

I disagree. You have your opinion, I have mine, and I am not here to belittle you for yours, because that seems to happen too much here, and it's not just the doom-and-gloomers that do it-the pixie dusters do it too. I don't think I fall into either category-call me either a pixie-gloomer or doom-and-duster, I guess. There are some things about WDW that I don't like, but in no way are they bad enough to stop me from wanting to visit every year or two, or stop me from enjoying myself. If and when they do, I will not go. If I was not in a financial position to afford a WDW trip, I wouldn't break the bank or go into debt to do it. I spend very little money on souvenirs, the crowds are manageable (for me, at least) and I always go in the spring or fall, so the oppressively hot weather is not a factor.

Excellent post.

So sick of all the miserable posts. Note: You. Make. Yourselves. Miserable.

Please find somewhere else to spend your vacations and somewhere else to complain. Maybe WDWMAGIC can make some money on a separate Disney hate site where you can all commiserate about how you can’t afford a $15 lunch. WDWNOTSOMAGICALdotcom.

Foolish mortals.

geekza

I can only speak for myself, but I look forward to going back to WDW because, warts and all, I do still think it is a wonderful place that is unique in what it offers. Are there things that I think were better in the past? You bet. Do I complain when I see Disney doing things that I feel degrade the overall experience? Sure. I complain because I have seen Disney do things right and have benefited greatly from these experiences. I'm passionate about WDW because, over the years, it has made such indelible impressions on me. I first went to WDW as a small child and am excited about going again as a 46 year-old. I haven't been able to go as often as I would have liked over the years, but each time has been wonderful or else I wouldn't want to return. You're right. People shouldn't spend thousands of dollars on something they hate. I honestly think most people don't. If they're returning to WDW, it's usually because they had a great experience on previous visits.

I think that there is a fallacious notion that those of us who like to talk about the "good old days" and complain about certain things are stuck in the past and refuse to accept change. I think you'll find that the vast majority of us love when new things come to WDW, when done well, and are okay with older things going away if it really is their time to go and nothing can be done within reason to make them relevant again.

With that said, there are some things that were unquestionably done better in the past and we'll yell to the rafters about the fact that they are no longer being done. Main Street was a more eclectic and interesting place until Eisner came in. Upkeep of the parks was far better in the past than it is now. Your money went much farther in the past. Future World should have never been allowed to stagnate and demolishing Journey into Imagination was a huge mistake. The Studios, though always flawed, was much more interesting when it was a working studio.

So what is better? The food choices and quality around the property are miles ahead of what was offered in the past. The choice and theming of resorts is wonderful. Pandora looks wonderful and at least FoP looks to be a fantastic evolution in motion simulation. Projection mapping is a fantastic addition to attractions. Galaxy's Edge has me excited.

TL/DR It isn't that I hate WDW or don't accept change. I welcome additions and evolution. However, for the money I'm spending, I expect Disney to commit to quality and creativity over commerce. I've experienced the things they've done right and I hold them to those standards with their current and future endeavors. They're Disney, not Six Flags. That means something.

eliza61nyc

I can only speak for myself, but I look forward to going back to WDW because, warts and all, I do still think it is a wonderful place that is unique in what it offers. Are there things that I think were better in the past? You bet. Do I complain when I see Disney doing things that I feel degrade the overall experience? Sure. I complain because I have seen Disney do things right and have benefited greatly from these experiences. I'm passionate about WDW because, over the years, it has made such indelible impressions on me. I first went to WDW as a small child and am excited about going again as a 46 year-old. I haven't been able to go as often as I would have liked over the years, but each time has been wonderful or else I wouldn't want to return. You're right. People shouldn't spend thousands of dollars on something they hate. I honestly think most people don't. If they're returning to WDW, it's usually because they had a great experience on previous visits.

TL/DR It isn't that I hate WDW or don't accept change. I welcome additions and evolution. However, for the money I'm spending, I expect Disney to commit to quality and creativity over commerce. I've experienced the things they've done right and I hold them to those standards with their current and future endeavors. They're Disney, not Six Flags. That means something.

Ok so this is an honest question. Right now, as of now and the foreseeable future Iger is what we have. So you are going to hold them to some standard of excellence that evidently no longer exist. not being snarky, for the next at least 10 years I think this is the direction the mouse management is going. Do you think you set yourself up for disillusionment?? Main street is not going back to that time. It does seem like you are stuck in the past. If you walk down Main street and constantly say it was better during XYZ, that's pretty much stuck. I get the passion part, I don't feel that way but I get it. Disney for me is a great vacation. Once I start saying It was better during the 20_____ whatever then it will be time for me to move on.

I just question what seems to me (and this is just the impression I get from reading threads) to be, folks going on vacation and then saying every thing is lacking.

Do you think it becomes a self fulfilling prophesy? I'm seen threads ripping slinky dog (just as an example) apart, evidently its a county fair ride at best. So truthfully can you come back and say you (everybody, a person in general) liked an attraction if before even going a person had made the determination that it's not up to the previous "standard"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom