WDW has lost much of its magic.

geekza

Will I continue to be vocal about how I feel about their standards? Yes. Will it have an impact? Likely not, as it has been shown that Iger doesn't really care. However, there's a difference between simply complaining and complaining with examples to back up an argument.

I'm not an idiot. I know that nothing in WDW is going to go back to what it was in the 70's and early-80's. I don't expect it to. I do expect new changes to at least meet the standards that the company has set for itself in the past, though, and when it doesn't, I'll call them on it. Main Street does kind of suck now. Main Street is not the whole park, though. It used to be someplace I liked stopping and experiencing. Now, it really isn't, so I'll walk on by.

There is still much about WDW that I think they do well. If it ever gets to the point when I don't feel that way, I will move on.

If some people want to just accept mediocrity and are content to do so, that is their prerogative. However, I think it's shortsighted to dismiss the opinions of people with actual experiences in WDW of the past, just because you weren't around during that time. If you're happy with everything that has come with the late-Eisner era up through today and the next few years, good for you.

There is a lot to love about WDW, even new things. There's nothing wrong with having expectations based upon past experiences, though.

LittleBuford

I can only speak for myself, but I look forward to going back to WDW because, warts and all, I do still think it is a wonderful place that is unique in what it offers. Are there things that I think were better in the past? You bet. Do I complain when I see Disney doing things that I feel degrade the overall experience? Sure. I complain because I have seen Disney do things right and have benefited greatly from these experiences. I'm passionate about WDW because, over the years, it has made such indelible impressions on me. I first went to WDW as a small child and am excited about going again as a 46 year-old. I haven't been able to go as often as I would have liked over the years, but each time has been wonderful or else I wouldn't want to return. You're right. People shouldn't spend thousands of dollars on something they hate. I honestly think most people don't. If they're returning to WDW, it's usually because they had a great experience on previous visits.

I think that there is a fallacious notion that those of us who like to talk about the "good old days" and complain about certain things are stuck in the past and refuse to accept change. I think you'll find that the vast majority of us love when new things come to WDW, when done well, and are okay with older things going away if it really is their time to go and nothing can be done within reason to make them relevant again.

With that said, there are some things that were unquestionably done better in the past and we'll yell to the rafters about the fact that they are no longer being done. Main Street was a more eclectic and interesting place until Eisner came in. Upkeep of the parks was far better in the past than it is now. Your money went much farther in the past. Future World should have never been allowed to stagnate and demolishing Journey into Imagination was a huge mistake. The Studios, though always flawed, was much more interesting when it was a working studio.

So what is better? The food choices and quality around the property are miles ahead of what was offered in the past. The choice and theming of resorts is wonderful. Pandora looks wonderful and at least FoP looks to be a fantastic evolution in motion simulation. Projection mapping is a fantastic addition to attractions. Galaxy's Edge has me excited.

TL/DR It isn't that I hate WDW or don't accept change. I welcome additions and evolution. However, for the money I'm spending, I expect Disney to commit to quality and creativity over commerce. I've experienced the things they've done right and I hold them to those standards with their current and future endeavors. They're Disney, not Six Flags. That means something.

I appreciate the fact that you're taking a balanced view. To be clear, I'm not questioning why people complain about WDW (like anything else, it has its fault), but why those who only or mostly complain bother going back (or posting here for that matter). You're clearly not among them.

Regarding Future World, I really don't think the public at large appreciated what many here yearn for. Take Horizons, for example. A month or so ago, I found out about the superfans who repeatedly took unauthorised behind-the-scenes footage of the ride in the mid-1990s. I couldn't understand how they got on an off the omnimover vehicles without being seen, and then I read that they would board only after ensuring there were enough unoccupied cars ahead of and behind them. When a ride is so empty that people can spend literally minutes hanging out among the animatronics without anyone passing by, there's a problem. Disney can't be blamed for seeing this problem and responding to it by opening something more popular. As you can tell from my username, I'm a big Country Bears fan, but I'm painfully aware that the show is losing numbers and may one day close as a result. I'll be sad if it happens, but the fault won't be Disney's.

(ETA: The closure of Journey into Imagination is another matter, of course. That was a bad decision all around, and the two replacements have not been nearly as popular.)

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
Here's the thing with "the magic". You're never going to recapture experiencing something for the first time. There are a lot of things Disney offers and it takes many people multiple visits to get to a point of feeling "We've experienced most of Disney World". There are things that you enjoy and you'll continue to do on future visits...and there are things that you'll abstain from in the future.

But once you get to that point of knowing and understanding the things that you like and dislike....well then other variables start creeping in -because the natural progression leads to wanting to gain an understanding of things from the operational side.

Think of it this way. A good card trick can be mesmerizing.....until you know how the trick is performed.....once that happens the illusion is compromised. In many instances when you get to that point - the next time you see the trick you'll find yourself critiquing the magician.

I've had many negative experiences at Disney. But the positive ones outweigh the negatives ten fold. If you go to Disney as many times as a lot of us have....then you're going to have: A day where it rains- a day it's unbearably hot - a day it's overcrowded - a ride malfunctions - you take part in a ride evac - animatronics malfunction - the food was not on par - the service was slow - the meal was undercooked - the meal was overcooked, on and on and on.

I'm sure back in 1980's there was heat and humidity, and rain, and poor service, and ride malfunctions, and crowds, and people realizing that the UK wasn't the actual UK. I know, because I was there.

Damon7777

This is a problem why?

This is called "managing people's expectations". I

But nickys wait times should reflect, well, the actual wait, don't ya think?. Guests rely on those displayed wait times and plan their day at the parks ,in part, according to those signs.

Both understating and overstating wait times can adversely affect guest planning. So, yes it can be problematic.

One of countless scenarios whereby overstating times can hurt:
Say a teen had one last chance to ride Everest(something he was really wanting on his trip) but he has another commitment which can not be missed. He sees the 75 minute wait sign----which in fact is only 50 minutes--- and decides against it and walks away sorely disappointed because he could only afford a up to a 50 minute wait. Thus, he lost out due to relying on inaccurate posted waits.

eliza61nyc

Go to DL and you'll feel like WDW sucks compared to it, then go to TDL and you'll realize all the resorts suck big time compared to TDR :)

do you still go to wdw? I hope that isn't true as I'm going to DL next February. If I come back and think wdw "sucks" after visiting DL I'll have to sell my dvc because I wouldn't blow my money on a place I thought sucked.

I have been to the paris Disneyworld. it was nice but I do like wdw better. I only spent 2 days there as it was a side trip from Paris. don't have any desire to go to Tokyo so I'll probably never visit those parks. Do you have pics you can post, I would love to see them.

Damon7777

I would takeTokyo Disney Sea and its Mira Costa hotel over all other 11 Disney full parks, hotels and water parks combined.

Nubs70

This seems to be the prevalent opinion on these forums -- that WDW is still great, even if not as good as it once was. Is there anyone else here who, like me, thinks that WDW is just as wonderful as it always was? I'm not denying that certain things have changed for the worse, but many others have changed for the better, and I struggle to understand all the negativity.
If you are paying twice as much, the experience should be twice as good.

nickys

Premium Member
But nickys wait times should reflect, well, the actual wait, don't ya think?. Guests rely on those displayed wait times and plan their day at the parks ,in part, according to those signs.

Both understating and overstating wait times can adversely affect guest planning. So, yes it can be problematic.

One of countless scenarios whereby overstating times can hurt:
Say a teen had one last chance to ride Everest(something he was really wanting on his trip) but he has another commitment which can not be missed. He sees the 75 minute wait sign----which in fact is only 50 minutes--- and decides against it and walks away sorely disappointed because he could only afford a up to a 50 minute wait. Thus, he lost out due to relying on inaccurate posted waits.

The in park wait times are inevitably not real-time. They depend on people who have already gone through the line, and I don't know how many people they use to determine them.

The most reliable real-time wait times are probably TP's, as they have liners reporting their actual wait times to them. The more data you have, the more accurate you can be.

As I say managing expectations is a sensible move. That teen makes a decision. Which is better? He makes the "unmissable" commitment or he misses it because that 50 minute wait time suddenly becomes 75 minutes while he's in the line. Anyway, if he really wanted to ride EE, he probably should have done it first if he didn't have a FP! ;)

Piebald

do you still go to wdw? I hope that isn't true as I'm going to DL next February. If I come back and think wdw "sucks" after visiting DL I'll have to sell my dvc because I wouldn't blow my money on a place I thought sucked.

I have been to the paris Disneyworld. it was nice but I do like wdw better. I only spent 2 days there as it was a side trip from Paris. don't have any desire to go to Tokyo so I'll probably never visit those parks. Do you have pics you can post, I would love to see them.
I still go, but to me it's like having multiple kids. WDW is the one who I love regardless but is in deep credit card debt, has bad luck and I cant say no to. They're still a good kid. DL is the self sufficient kid who is older and has their life together. Tokyo Disney is the adopted kid who grew up and became a neurosurgeon.

LittleBuford

Based on what's always being said on these forums, I was very worried that I'd feel this way after visiting Disneyland this year. Thankfully, I didn't. I love both resorts and can't choose between them. If we stick to the offspring analogy, I think Disneyland is sometimes treated as the favourite child who can do no wrong, let off for things that WDW is always being punished for. :)

Tony the Tigger

I think sometimes it has to do with which one you went to first, and how indoctrinated you are.

I never heard anyone say that Disneyland was “better“ until I came to these boards. Some people who say it seem to think it’s “the correct answer” because...Walt.

Having gone to WDW for ten years before visiting DL (that trip was 10 years ago this July and for only one day) we both thought, “That’s it?”

Considering it was not only my opinion, I have more faith in it.

We knew we only had one day, therefore we were looking for things that were new to us, or variations of our favorites.

The biggest point of interest was comparing rides we already loved like Pirates and especially HM, which is in a completely different land vs WDW.

The biggest miss was I forgot to look for Mr. Toad, as I had never done that anywhere.

The biggest hit was the submarine ride for the same reason, plus Nemo was the first Dis movie we watched together as a couple.

We may have skipped things we shouldn’t have, figuring BT,DT. California Adventure was kind of NBD.

Bottom line, we didn’t even stay the whole day.

Based on what I’ve read here, we may have been a bit hasty and rushed, and may give the park another shot one day, although I don’t see the value now for a one or two day park ticket, and I suspect I will mostly stand by our original assessment.

correcaminos

Why anybody would go in the summer is beyond me. I guess if you had no other choice. Somehow.

Lines are not always nightmarish. Except of course, in the summer.

I have to completely disagree with you about the price. If the prices were out of control, there would be no problem with lines. Those are mutually exclusive.

Main street has overpriced product, but I would not call it collectively junk.

Nope, the 80's are gone. Nostalgia plays tricks on the mind. Makes things recall better than they were.
Sorry but after doing summer and fall, the lines are nearly equal now. Spring break and Oct were equal and early June was less crowded than either. Summer isn't all that bad. We only had one day we broke out our rain ponchos and it wasn't pouring either.

Summer gets a bad rap, but really crowds have gone up so many other times of year that it almost doesn't matter when you go. That and slower times they have less staff and less vehicles running so the lubes are just as long.

CP_alum08

Is there anything the same as it was in the 80's or 90's? People change, the world changes, not much you can do about it.

I don't disagree with all your points, but you are always going to be disappointed when you long for the past.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom