WDW Fan Base Initiative

Monorail Lime

I hope this takes off!

I'm not great with words. :lol: But I'll help out if I can, such as taking photographs when I see something that needs improvement.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Thanks for the heads up Richard. I would love to be able to see some of the stuff that Rob worked on...perhaps he wouldn't mind send us some examples of what the d-troops did. I think right off the bat we have a different philosophy just from what I read in those threads you posted. We plan to be critical, but we're going to praise when praise is due, we're going to highlight attractions that have been done right, we're going to get people to contribute that have a critical eye that also have an undeniable love for the parks.

This is going to be tricky to find the correct niche, but I hope we can get the appropriate people involved to give the site a decent following. I was speaking to our friend '74 on another site and he believes the only way to get the attention of TDO is to be critical, point fingers, shout at management, take no prisoners, early Al Lutz-type approach. I'm currently reading up on Al now...but without having in-depth knowledge yet of Al's approach, I'm hoping this is not the case...because I feel like we've been screaming and pointing fingers at TDO for the past 6 years now and all they do is shrug that approach off with a "it's just the rabid fanboys getting in a tizzy again."

We'll see what we can come up with! Would love if you would like to participate with some articles!

Pictures Pictures Pictures Chris! My pass has lapsed so I can't do the photo updates myself! I plan on keeping it that way for another 10-months as part of my personal "stick it to TDO" message. This will be the longest time we've gone without passes over the past 5 years...a total of 15 months when it's over!
While I tend to favor your approach, 74's is the more effective of the two. However, I seriously doubt that either approach will do much. WDW is a cash cow. They are the ATM machine of the Disney park empire. As long as that ATM keeps spitting out 20's no one cares how they do it. Aside for Lasseter naming himself king of WDW, I fear the only way that they will listen is to disrupt the cash flow. The only way to do that is to convince a significant portion of the 19 million people that come to WDW every year to go elsewhere and write Disney and tell them why. While missing effects and broken yetis tick us off to no end the other 18.99 million people could care less.

Patrick_Ears

While I tend to favor your approach, 74's is the more effective of the two. However, I seriously doubt that either approach will do much. WDW is a cash cow. They are the ATM machine of the Disney park empire. As long as that ATM keeps spitting out 20's no one cares how they do it. Aside for Lasseter naming himself king of WDW, I fear the only way that they will listen is to disrupt the cash flow. The only way to do that is to convince a significant portion of the 19 million people that come to WDW every year to go elsewhere and write Disney and tell them why. While missing effects and broken yetis tick us off to no end the other 18.99 million people could care less.

:sohappy::sohappy:

BrittanyRose428

I can help too if any more help is needed :D I'm going on Sunday (with my new camera that I'm excited to take lots of pictures with lol) I'll check back on this thread when I get back? Unless someone in charge of the website wants to maybe pm me their email address that I can send my findings to?

MerlinTheGoat

Obviously everything you say is 100% true. That doesn't mean people should just stay quiet however. If anything, perhaps a movement like this will bring these issues to light for people other than just the diehard fans. Every little bit could end up helping. If the movement gets popular and has enough attention, anything could happen. We won't know unless we try, and just because WDW is a cash cow, it doesn't mean people have to keep their mouths shut about it.

To be honest though, i'm skeptical that disrupting the cash flow would even help at this stage in events. More than likely, they'd just take an even worse turn for management if people started cutting into their profits. It takes a bit of both, disrupting the cash flow AND telling them WHY people aren't spending the money.

devoy1701

Original Poster
Obviously everything you say is 100% true. That doesn't mean people should just stay quiet however. If anything, perhaps a movement like this will bring these issues to light for people other than just the diehard fans. Every little bit could end up helping. If the movement gets popular and has enough attention, anything could happen. We won't know unless we try, and just because WDW is a cash cow, it doesn't mean people have to keep their mouths shut about it.

To be honest though, i'm skeptical that disrupting the cash flow would even help at this stage in events. More than likely, they'd just take an even worse turn for management if people started cutting into their profits. It takes a bit of both, disrupting the cash flow AND telling them WHY people aren't spending the money.

Agree here and this is what I pointed out to '74. Our idea might very well not have any effect...but it most definitely will not have an effect if we don't try to do it at all. There's no harm in trying. And being a regular contributor to sites like this one that is fullllllll of pixie dust fans, at the very least we can help get those who haven't really noticed to see that there is a bigger problem than just lightbulbs!

Btw, Richard, you might know of the top of your head...what kind of actions did Lutz's campaign trigger? Disneyland also sees 10s of millions of people each year with half of them being AP holders...was there really a significant drop in attendance during his movement? Just curious...still doing my information gathering. Going to reach out to him later today.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

A bit of yes and no. While we see what is going on at Disney as a problem the vast majority of WDW client base does not. The trick will be getting that vast majority to subscribe to our way of thinking and vote with their dollars. Ten and only then will Disney revert back to the philosophy of quality first and the profit will come. Could something like this start that change? Sure it could, but it is not likely. It would have to make mainstream national news to have any effect. With our current political stalemate, several wars going on and an economy hanging by a thread "Disney fans upset about slipping standards" is not going to be the lead story anytime soon.

I am all for people wanting to try but it is a major up hill battle. If you do it, do it out of love for the parks and realize that it might be all for nothing.

kapeman

Points taken! With this said, do you have any suggestion for a site format that would lend itself nicely to this sort of design? Coding a site like that by hand would take....forever.

A pre-built CMS of some kind would work nicely. I don't think it should be in the format of a forum, like vBulletin or phpBB, because you don't want just anyone to be able to post/comment, or you end up losing control of the mission.

I can't even figure out how to created categories in this stupid google blog I setup quickly, so I need to keep digging. I like open source stuff.

If you are looking for a CMS (which, I think, is the correct tool for this) I would recommend Joomla.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Agree here and this is what I pointed out to '74. Our idea might very well not have any effect...but it most definitely will not have an effect if we don't try to do it at all. There's no harm in trying. And being a regular contributor to sites like this one that is fullllllll of pixie dust fans, at the very least we can help get those who haven't really noticed to see that there is a bigger problem than just lightbulbs!

Btw, Richard, you might know of the top of your head...what kind of actions did Lutz's campaign trigger? Disneyland also sees 10s of millions of people each year with half of them being AP holders...was there really a significant drop in attendance during his movement? Just curious...still doing my information gathering. Going to reach out to him later today.
I honestly do not know. I do not keep up with the events at the home land like I should. I would suggest emailing him directly for insight.

MerlinTheGoat

A bit of yes and no. While we see what is going on at Disney as a problem the vast majority of WDW client base does not. The trick will be getting that vast majority to subscribe to our way of thinking and vote with their dollars. Ten and only then will Disney revert back to the philosophy of quality first and the profit will come. Could something like this start that change? Sure it could, but it is not likely. It would have to make mainstream national news to have any effect. With our current political stalemate, several wars going on and an economy hanging by a thread "Disney fans upset about slipping standards" is not going to be the lead story anytime soon.

I am all for people wanting to try but it is a major up hill battle. If you do it, do it out of love for the parks and realize that it might be all for nothing.

I don't think anyone here is going into this with the mentality that it will be a 100% success (if they are, they should certainly step back). But any step is progress, and i think it's the love of the park (and in fact, the ideals that Walt himself had) that drives people to hope for the best they can get. People shouldn't just give up because the odds are against them. If anything, continuing to fight to better the parks is doing exactly what Walt would want done. And yes, i know people speak in Walt's name a lot and make grand assumptions on what he would or wouldn't do with the company. But i think we can all agree that he would be proud that certain individuals are striving to preserve his ideals and maintain a sense of quality in things he helped build. That at least is one thing we know he would have done.

So yeah, a long shot, misfire, whatever. It's better than just not doing anything. And it will represent our passion of the parks, and express this to others to try to get them into it. I say don't give up. And i guess you can surmise from my words that i'd want to get involved based on my love of the parks and not just to complain for the sake of being negative.:wave:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I don't think anyone here is going into this with the mentality that it will be a 100% success (if they are, they should certainly step back). But any step is progress, and i think it's the love of the park (and in fact, the ideals that Walt himself had) that drives people to hope for the best they can get. People shouldn't just give up because the odds are against them. If anything, continuing to fight to better the parks is doing exactly what Walt would want done. And yes, i know people speak in Walt's name a lot and make grand assumptions on what he would or wouldn't do with the company. But i think we can all agree that he would be proud that certain individuals are striving to preserve his ideals and maintain a sense of quality in things he helped build. That at least is one thing we know he would have done.

So yeah, a long shot, misfire, whatever. It's better than just not doing anything. And it will represent our passion of the parks, and express this to others to try to get them into it. I say don't give up. And i guess you can surmise from my words that i'd want to get involved based on my love of the parks and not just to complain for the sake of being negative.:wave:
This pretty much sums it up. If someone wants to do this and is OK with devoting the time to it then more power to them. My main point is that this approach has been tried before at WDW with no tangible results. Maybe it is time to come up with a different approach.

jmick71

count me in.
it looks like everyone is serious about this, there is already a website!

I frequently go to the parks and have acute observations on what is and is not working, as well as noticing the little details. a am an artist and have an eye for that stuff, also if you guys need a logo or anything like that i am free to help!

devoy1701

Original Poster

Hey...if just once we get some pictures up of some badly chipped paint one week and it's repainted the next...we could closed the site with a "job well done!"

:ROFLOL:

Just saying!

devoy1701

Original Poster
count me in.
it looks like everyone is serious about this, there is already a website!

I frequently go to the parks and have acute observations on what is and is not working, as well as noticing the little details. a am an artist and have an eye for that stuff, also if you guys need a logo or anything like that i am free to help!

Yes! Logo would be amazing! :sohappy:

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
So what did happen to them for the second time? I can't get into the 3rd thread that you put up here and the website is now something to do with Spanglish. Reading through some of the comments it sounds like they had a fairly decent following and even some press...

need to be enlightened... :wave:

Sorry about that. I own the domains now, so rather than park them on a placeholder page, I have them forwarding to my own blog.

Anyway, a combination of factors killed the site- the server died, and at the time we were all irresponsible kids and failed to do a backup. We couldn't get the site back, and we just kinda moved on.

The thing about Disney is, you can not pressure them to do anything unless they will make more money by doing it. They don't give a rats ______ about the fans like us- they aim for the fans that don't care how they do it. Once I learned that lesson, I really stopped giving a damn.

Now, if you want to start a site, more power to you. I'll forward the domains to your site once you're done.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom