WDW Fan Base Initiative

Krack

Points taken! With this said, do you have any suggestion for a site format that would lend itself nicely to this sort of design? Coding a site like that by hand would take....forever.

A pre-built CMS of some kind would work nicely. I don't think it should be in the format of a forum, like vBulletin or phpBB, because you don't want just anyone to be able to post/comment, or you end up losing control of the mission.

All that stuff is kind of over my head; I could probably slug it out if I had too, but I know there must be at least one expert with interest on this site who could knock something better out quickly.

The Duck

I have to admit that after reading about all of the problems with Splash Mountain (here, and elsewhere), that the internal problems at WDW are far worse than I imagined. This isn't another simple lightbulb/litter/dirty restroom problem. This is a major attraction on the verge of a meltdown. I wish everyone here success in this endeavor to "Fix the Magic" and lets all hope for a speedy recovery to the Florida Project.

MerlinTheGoat

I'll at least try to provide some pictures and details whenever i make my way up to Orlando. Wonder how many dirty and weird looks from cast members i'll get when i take out my Android and snap a shot of peeling paint though.:p

In my opinion, we need a better interface than just one page listing the broken effects and issues with all the attractions. Each attraction and land deserves its own dedicated page to aspire for more detail without cluttering up a single page that goes on forever. Apart from the main feed that would update new breakages (or fixings), the sidebar should be made in a way that has a list of the Parks and general areas in WDW. I'd like to see a tree of basic general locations (the individual parks being centerpiece). The tree can expand and collapse in real time, showing subcategories within the general locations. And have subcategories when you click on each park with the lands or areas INSIDE each park. And then further subcategories within the lands showing specific links to pages for the actual attractions or places. That's my best idea on how the interface should work.

A quick (and poor) mspaint mockup on what i'm talking about-
http://img861.imageshack.us/img861/9282/fixwdwtemplate.png

Spike-in-Berlin

A very good idea I was already carrying with me for years (actually mostly because I wanted to organize a fan-movement for bringing back the Tiki Room). If I would be an US-citizen I would have already started such an initiative years ago. Just didn't make any sense for me as I am not American and not living in the states either as the people behind this organization would have to stay in close touch with the topic and the company.
I wish you good luck with your plan, an organized fanbase with a real huge number of members could get some influence however it would need thousands and thousands of members to be successful.

ob1thx1138

I really think we need a lot of photo documentation on the site. Not only documenting the problems but really focusing on the improvements when they are made. Maybe 3 types of photos, one before the issue, one of the issue and one of the fix. That way there is some incentive to not only fix the problem, but inprove on what was once there.

Spike-in-Berlin

I really think we need a lot of photo documentation on the site. Not only documenting the problems but really focusing on the improvements when they are made. Maybe 3 types of photos, one before the issue, one of the issue and one of the fix. That way there is some incentive to not only fix the problem, but inprove on what was once there.

Concerning broken special effects videos would be even more appropriate. Especially if you deal with AAs and other effects that include motion and sound.

captainkidd

I'll be there in 16 days, and am going for 2 weeks. I don't look for problems, but I do think I have an eye for them. I'll be more than happy to take pics of things that are off, and post them here. I think this is a great idea. We need to get someone's attention.

devoy1701

Original Poster
I'll at least try to provide some pictures and details whenever i make my way up to Orlando. Wonder how many dirty and weird looks from cast members i'll get when i take out my Android and snap a shot of peeling paint though.:p

In my opinion, we need a better interface than just one page listing the broken effects and issues with all the attractions. Each attraction and land deserves its own dedicated page to aspire for more detail without cluttering up a single page that goes on forever. Apart from the main feed that would update new breakages (or fixings), the sidebar should be made in a way that has a list of the Parks and general areas in WDW. I'd like to see a tree of basic general locations (the individual parks being centerpiece). The tree can expand and collapse in real time, showing subcategories within the general locations. And have subcategories when you click on each park with the lands or areas INSIDE each park. And then further subcategories within the lands showing specific links to pages for the actual attractions or places. That's my best idea on how the interface should work.

A quick (and poor) mspaint mockup on what i'm talking about-
http://img861.imageshack.us/img861/9282/fixwdwtemplate.png

Tom....did you get all of that???? I sense many sleepness nights in your near future as you figure out how to build that! :lol: :wave:

I think the first thing we need to do as Tom and I have discussed is get the blog portion up and running so we can start sharing articles as we build out the effects watch section for each area of the parks.

It's great to see people like Martin and Kevin on board with this. With Kevin being published and having a huge following with his books and the Disneyland fan base, we're definitely going to need people like him to give this initiative some steam. With Martin's help (if he's willing to put in some time...though something tells me he already has this going for personal use :D) someone with his in depth knowledge of the attractions and parks in general will be vital in helping us capture an initial list of missing effects...because I'm going to be honest here, I've only been a diehard fan for the past 5 1/2 years and I'm too young to talk about "what used to be" without the insight of people like Martin. :eek:

We are definitely going to need an army of photographers, locals and non, who are willing to take pictures of these things like Merlin suggested. This initiative is going to be dead in the water without pictures!

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
This is a great idea. I would be willing to help on any reasonable front. I live in NJ though, and even though I am a DVC member, we still do not get to the parks more then once or twice a year.

Might I suggest a twitter handle to go along with the website. Twitter has become the main source of news for millions upon millions of people. If you tweeted every time there was an update to FTM, that would really improve page hits, therefore increasing credibility.

Good Luck with this, you have at least 1 individual page view per day in me.

aurorawest

I'm a FL seasonal passholder and I go about once a month (outside of blackout dates), so I'd be happy to help with photos and whatnot.

devoy1701

Original Poster

So what did happen to them for the second time? I can't get into the 3rd thread that you put up here and the website is now something to do with Spanglish. Reading through some of the comments it sounds like they had a fairly decent following and even some press...

need to be enlightened... :wave:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
So what did happen to them for the second time? I can't get into the 3rd thread that you put up here and the website is now something to do with Spanglish. Reading through some of the comments it sounds like they had a fairly decent following and even some press...

need to be enlightened... :wave:
Rob (MKT) would be the better person to talk to on this as he was heavily involved. I was merely an observer and had been invited to write for the site but it fizzled out before I did. I sent a PM to Rob and a message on facebook so hopefully he will respond.

My opinion of it mirrored Rob's when he exited the group.

that's right... since I've left their site, I had time to rethink... and here's what I think.

I spent so much time about what was wrong in the parks, that I forgot the most important thing: to enjoy the parks. I wasn't having any fun, cause I was being too critical of them.

Time to forgive, time to apologize to those of you who I ed off and alienated.

The D-troops had their moment, but it's gone. They took too long to make the site, and by the time it was up, it was no longer vital. They were too radical, too whiny, and far too late.

menamechris

Wow! You guys jumped right into this after just 24 hours! Awesome!

Count me in! I will help in any way I can. At the parks all the time, so just let me know...

devoy1701

Original Poster
Rob (MKT) would be the better person to talk to on this as he was heavily involved. I was merely an observer and had been invited to write for the site but it fizzled out before I did. I sent a PM to Rob and a message on facebook so hopefully he will respond.

My opinion of it mirrored Rob's when he exited the group.

Thanks for the heads up Richard. I would love to be able to see some of the stuff that Rob worked on...perhaps he wouldn't mind send us some examples of what the d-troops did. I think right off the bat we have a different philosophy just from what I read in those threads you posted. We plan to be critical, but we're going to praise when praise is due, we're going to highlight attractions that have been done right, we're going to get people to contribute that have a critical eye that also have an undeniable love for the parks.

This is going to be tricky to find the correct niche, but I hope we can get the appropriate people involved to give the site a decent following. I was speaking to our friend '74 on another site and he believes the only way to get the attention of TDO is to be critical, point fingers, shout at management, take no prisoners, early Al Lutz-type approach. I'm currently reading up on Al now...but without having in-depth knowledge yet of Al's approach, I'm hoping this is not the case...because I feel like we've been screaming and pointing fingers at TDO for the past 6 years now and all they do is shrug that approach off with a "it's just the rabid fanboys getting in a tizzy again."

We'll see what we can come up with! Would love if you would like to participate with some articles!

Wow! You guys jumped right into this after just 24 hours! Awesome!

Count me in! I will help in any way I can. At the parks all the time, so just let me know...

Pictures Pictures Pictures Chris! My pass has lapsed so I can't do the photo updates myself! I plan on keeping it that way for another 10-months as part of my personal "stick it to TDO" message. This will be the longest time we've gone without passes over the past 5 years...a total of 15 months when it's over!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom