WDW 2010: Same old pixie dust?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Steve...Why do you keep pushing this?:lookaroun:lol:

Do you know something we don't? :p (You probably do!:lol:)
:lookaroun

Nope unfortunately I dont.

A couple of very large cranes just strike me as out of the ordinary for a refurbishment. It will probably come to nothing, but it's something to watch just incase.

EPCOT Explorer

Sorry, didn't ReDis make a big deal out of a TL expansion once?
Yes.:lookaroun

That thread was huge. I also remember a ST thread.:lookaroun

Nope unfortunately I dont.

A couple of very large cranes just strike me as out of the ordinary for a refurbishment. It will probably come to nothing, but it's something to watch just incase.
I suppose. That thing is pretty big, you are right. :lol:

MarkTwain

The last year WDW did not open a new Imagineering-designed attraction was 1985. But that year they debuted a new Fire Works Show at the Magic Kingdom and a new night time show at EPCOT Center "Laser Phonic Fantasy," which was the forerunner to Illuminations, and they opened a new Restaurant, Nine Dragons.

The last year WDW did not open anything new at all was 1979 (not counting rehabs).

But to be fair, back in 1979, WDW consisted of one park, the Magic Kingdom, not four theme parks and two water parks.

My post answered the question you ask. :lookaroun

I believe it will be marketed as a new addition as will the new and improved SM and the new additions and plussing of the F&G fest announced yesterday.

Gotta be honest, if the best Disney can come up with marketing next year is an 8-person motion sim, a half-hearted roller coaster rehab, and the return of an ANNUAL festival... then that's just sad.

hwdelien

I gotta say, "same old" is still the best thing out there. This year, after continuous trip to WDW over the last ten years, we decided to try USF. Even the kids were disappointed. We'll be there is May and nothing new or not, I can't wait.

CDavid

Whatever is happening at Typhoon lagoon - refurbishment or addition - shouldn't there be a permit issued either way? That should resolve the issue, shouldn't it?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Whatever is happening at Typhoon lagoon - refurbishment or addition - shouldn't there be a permit issued either way? That should resolve the issue, shouldn't it?

No the permits dont cover everything, so it isnt a 100% indicator.

Disneyson 1

We also have to remember that Uni. itself hasn't really added much new in the last few years itself, just refurbs and replacements of rides. Even when something is added (Shrek 4-D, for example, or WWoHP or even The Simpsons) Disney matches with something that's usually more rich in storytelling and overall magic (Philharmagic, for example, or New FL or even HM).

Although many complain that New FL has only one amazing new ride (Mermaid), a refurb of a classic ride (Dumbo), a refurb of a kiddie ride (Barnstormer), and a few things for the kids (Meet - N - Greets, shows), WWoHP is almost exactly the same: one amazing new ride (HP & the forbidden whatever), a refurb of a classic ride (Dueling Dragons), a refurb of a kiddie ride (Hagrid's Hippogrif) and a few things for the kids (MagiQuest).

As far as I'm concerned, it's the quality of these new additions that'll give me my opinion, and I've yet to see either in person or even on youtube! So I withhold judgement.

vonpluto

What about Carnival de Lumiere? Was that a retelling, too? Same with New World Fantasy, right?

The nightime WS shows as I have them:

•Carnival de Lumiere 10/23/82 - 6/83
•New World Fantasy 6/83 - 6/84
•Laserphonic Fantasy 6/9/84 - 1/88
•Holiday Illuminations 12/94-
•Illuminations 1/30/88 - 9/96
•Illuminations 25(1) 9/21/96 - 5/97
•Illuminations 25(2) 5/27/97 - 1/98 (new music)
•Illuminations 2/1/98 - 9/18/99 (same as above “25” dropped)
•Illuminations 2000 - Reflections of Earth 9/22/99 -

:)

DisneyCanadian

So we get a big announcement regarding a FL overhaul and some rides getting refurbished and people are still not satisfied? The expo just happened a few weeks ago, what other major announcement can we expect. Where will the funding for it come.

MousDad

So we get a big announcement regarding a FL overhaul and some rides getting refurbished and people are still not satisfied?

^This really is the crux of the discussion: Namely, does the announcement of an expansion of this calibre (not to mention DCA already in progress) justify the absence of additions/substantial refurbs for the 2nd time in 39 years?

Then that begs the additional question of whether funds for an expansion would feed off of "normal" expansion funds, or whether that is a separate capital investment?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
The original question posed in this thread is pretty simple to answer. WDW is getting nothing new in 2010. The OP makes some valid points about the lack of improvement in the parks for 2010 and what looks like 2011 also.

I wonder if its possible that WDW has gotten too big too fast. Maybe it has just gotten to the point where in order for WDW to be a fiscally profitable entity, they just can not be spending as much money to constantly add new things to the parks anymore. I would love for them to add something new to each park each year, but maybe its just not possible.

Either way, I don't find WDW to be stale. I can always find lots of things I have yet to do and experience. But the OP makes good points about the lack of additions. I can see it being frustrating for the people who visit more then once a year...

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Something we may not be considering is the fact that Disney (I believe) runs their calendar year on the same schedule as the Federal Government, i.e. the first day of the 2010 year would have been October 1. Under that, The Sum of All Fears ride would have been considered (by Disney at least) to be a ride introduced in 2010, regardless of the opening date being in October 2009. I know it's a marginal distinction to us, but for Disney it's a factor that could impact their current and future plans.

SirGoofy

I'll agree on IOA being on par with Disney, but not USF. It's just a hodge podge of themes, like DHS or DCA. I still don't think IOA is a full day park though. As for unbias, I don't think you fit that criteria either. ;)

Aren't those Disney parks?;):p

As for being unbiased, you're probably right that I'm not totally unbiased. I'll always like Disney a little more. It's where I grew up, I've got too many special memories there, and they pay me:lookaroun. That being said, I'm unbiased enough to see that Uni is just as good as Disney in most areas.

I don't think you can put RRR (which is having a plethora of issues), and an un-opened, behind schedule, ride into the category of quality just yet.

I guess, but Test Track had even worse issues during it's "opening" and it's one of WDW's most popular attractions now. You aren't going to do something new without some problems.:shrug:

WDW1974

Original Poster
What an informative post. This is some very interesting and sobering information, which I think transcends the personality conflicts and indicates that the OP's original point is valid and worth discussing.

And poor 1985. Even Laserphonic Fantasy, if I'm right on this, wasn't actually all that new, but rather a re-tooling of New World Fantasy, which debuted in 1983.

I don't look at 1985 as 'poor' ... I spent many weeks at WDW back then. It didn't feel tired or stale. I watched a Presidential Inauguration in May at EPCOT Center.

The Morocco pavilion had just opened in late '84 and was a major addition and Living Seas was fast approaching opening. I believe that was also the summer Disney had the Radio City Rockettes performing shows at America Gardens.

Disney did indeed debut Skyleidoscope over the lagoon. I'm trying to recall if there was a new stage show, but my memory is failing me (would have to drag out schedules and can't do that now).

Everything from dining to retail to park hours to entertainment hadn't been dumbed down as they have since.

And again, I am not talking about adding $200 million E-Tickets annually. There are many things that go into whether a park feels fresh.

Cutting pyro from shows, entrees from menus, hours from park schedules, entertainers from parks, variety from shops all contribute.

NX2I85

Uni has two Disney-level theme parks in Orlando.

There is more to it then just having two theme parks at Disney level. Yor forgetting about the customer service. The entire theming of the park, resorts, Resteraunts, shopping, snacks and most of all characters.

Sir Goofy. Universal is a very exciting thrills theme park that can be seen in a day but always makes me leave with with a feeling of wanting more. Hard to explain. It just doesn't compare to the Disney experience period. of resteraunts, resorts, downtown shopping, boat rides, and so on. Disney is a vacation experience and Universal a one day trip.

I agree. When visiting USF I give the parks one day each. I always leave thinking that I had a good time, but it is absolutely nothing at all like the Disney experience for me and my family. Universal is Disney's ugly sister.

MousDad

I don't look at 1985 as 'poor' ... I spent many weeks at WDW back then. It didn't feel tired or stale. I watched a Presidential Inauguration in May at EPCOT Center.

Meant 'poor' only within the context of the discussion (additions), not as a reflection of the park(s) as a whole.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Whether you think this is a good discussion or not it's in the wrong forum. There is no news nor rumors to be had in this thread. 74 just posted here since this forum gets the most action. :rolleyes:

Sorry, I don't think you're going to get this moved to some insignificant part of the site that no one visits.

First of all, if what is or isn't coming to WDW in 2010 isn't news, I don't know what is.

Second, Steve is actively posting here so I think he believes the thread is where it belongs.

And ... have you read some of the drivel-based threads that are posted here? ... This ain't one of them.

You don't like the topic, you have nothing to add, so move on ... I'm sure there's a thread about the new fountain/planter in T-Land that you can post about ... or maybe a new wall went up somewhere.

MousDad

I'm sure there's a thread about the new fountain/planter in T-Land that you can post about ... or maybe a new wall went up somewhere.

You asked about the difference between you and Martin earlier.

He, like most of us, has no problem posting in threads like that.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwmagic
How is it a 2010 addition?
It's already been unveiled and officially opened in 2009. I don't see Disney doing any marketing on it - its way too low capacity to be hyped.

My post answered the question you ask. :lookaroun

I believe it will be marketed as a new addition as will the new and improved SM and the new additions and plussing of the F&G fest announced yesterday.

Marketing hype doesn't count ... by Disney's metrics everything from PhilharMagic to Everest to TSMM are foisted on the public as being new. It's all about perspective.

Rehabbed attractions and festivals that have been going on for 15-plus years don't count (oh, and if Flower and Garden is like Food and Wine, I'd expect far more things to be cut than added).

WDW1974

Original Poster
Not wanting to get drawn into this discussion too much, but that is a prime example of the company - not you jt - scraping the barrel. A minor diversion which opened in 2009, a refurb that is a shadow of the original and years overdue which also opened in 2009, and a festival. Not a lot to shout about.

Nope.

Not at all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom