WDS - 3rd expansion land: Lion King (Rumour)

What is your opinion on having Lion King as the replacement for Star Wars in the WDS expansion?

• Amazing! Lion King is a great choice for a new land in WDS. Star Wars fits well in Discoveryland

Votes: 36 35.6%
  • I am okay with not having Star Wars but would have preferred something else like Avatar instead

Votes: 29 28.7%
  • No way! They should keep the original plan and built a Star Wars mini land incl. RotR in WDS

Votes: 14 13.9%
  • I don't really care as long as WDS gets any new attractions at all

Votes: 22 21.8%

• Total voters

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It would certainly help if both parks are funding this, but from what I understand I think this is strictly a DLP project. And as much as I want to see a Lion King ride somewhere at WDW, WDS needs some things that are original to that park.
It’ll be interesting to see the attraction since development was done for a DAK ride a few years ago

Gusey

June 24 1994 is going to mark the 30th anniversary of The Lion King. Do you think Disney will likely announce the Lion King land around then to mark the anniversary or wait until D23?

BrianLo

DLP seems to be heading in a generally good direction to be able to deliver a third park (eventually). Many of the late Eisner era financial pitfalls have been undone and the park seems to be on much better financial footings.

As much as this expansion was completely slow rolled, I think WDSP people are starting to develop a DHS like relationship with (there are a lot of good attractions within the borders, even if the thematic integrity is all over the place). WDSP will finally start to hold its own and can do so over the next decade.

HK, as much as I love, is still completely touch and go in terms of sustainability beyond being a single gate.

I think we’ll see an SDL second gate within about 10 years and the DLP one more within 15. DLR will go the way of Tokyo and just expand their two parks further.

LondonTom

June 24 1994 is going to mark the 30th anniversary of The Lion King. Do you think Disney will likely announce the Lion King land around then to mark the anniversary or wait until D23?
I'd guess they get told to hold it for D23 as they will want to pad that out as much as possible 😂 (Even if the be fair to Florida crowd will be upset that Paris is getting something).... that or some random "Annual Pass" show released on youtube for everyone the week after 😂

Last edited:

TheDisneyParksfanC8

DLP seems to be heading in a generally good direction to be able to deliver a third park (eventually). Many of the late Eisner era financial pitfalls have been undone and the park seems to be on much better financial footings.

As much as this expansion was completely slow rolled, I think WDSP people are starting to develop a DHS like relationship with (there are a lot of good attractions within the borders, even if the thematic integrity is all over the place). WDSP will finally start to hold its own and can do so over the next decade.

HK, as much as I love, is still completely touch and go in terms of sustainability beyond being a single gate.

I think we’ll see an SDL second gate within about 10 years and the DLP one more within 15. DLR will go the way of Tokyo and just expand their two parks further.
There is speculation that the Toy Story lot could become a 3rd gate for DLR.

JaKnight

Unfortunately I think that the proposed WDS land based on The Lion King would be based on the live action cgi movies (Sequeles and spin-offs are coming) instead on the classic animation movie.

Robbiem

Master plans for Hong Kong show huge ideas with highways across the sea stemming from the second gate. Extending the Resort line. Etc etc. But it’s just as likely to become public open space (in conjunction with Disney?). They have no plans for it as things stand. And despite the current stance don’t want to rock the boat as it were.

The French government don’t have a choice; legally Disney can say “we will wait” or “we want to extend the period we want to wait for”.
it sounds like the pre covid idea of building a flower park on the second gate in Hong Kong. I would love to see more at hong kong the resort could be so much more

JaKnight

that would be a terrible decision if true, the animated version is a classic, and looks timeless.
Unfortunately Disney has done such thing previously,. Galaxy's Edge: The terrible new trilogy wash chosen instead the Classic one. Mickey and Minnie RR, the new cartoon instead the standard Mickey Mouse. Even the cancelled Mary Poppins tea cups for Epcot were based on MP Returns instead on the timeless 1st movie.

J4546

Unfortunately Disney has done such thing previously,. Galaxy's Edge: The terrible new trilogy wash chosen instead the Classic one. Mickey and Minnie RR, the new cartoon instead the standard Mickey Mouse. Even the cancelled Mary Poppins tea cups for Epcot were based on MP Returns instead on the timeless 1st movie.
Luckily GE has moved away from that timeline at least in CA it seems. Also I really like mmrr and am glad they used the new style but either one would be great imo

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
Luckily GE has moved away from that timeline at least in CA it seems. Also I really like mmrr and am glad they used the new style but either one would be great imo
Disneyland Park is presently the best in the world, and it is great to see actually smart decisions now being made. Combine that with everything else there and holy.

The park is unreal and is likely to get even better with the more thematically suitable for New Orleans Square and lesser Splash getting replaced by Tiana's Bayou Adventure. It was clear the update was made with Disneyland in mind first, as is usually the case. Oh, and by the way, Galaxy's Edge and Mickey are complete expansions to what was already the best castle park in the world. I mean, it's basically MK + HWS + even more at this point.

TDA has also widened and beautified the park's walkways and converted gift shops to rest areas. The best change is that nearly all of the classic rides have received major updates (Alice, Snow White, Matterhorn, etc.). Fantasmic! is also still the better of the two coasts, but you not only have that at Disneyland Park but also fireworks with Wondrous Journeys, which is actually better than Happily Ever After.

The food around the resort is also still scrumptuous. Service is also still a noticeable step up as well especially when compared to all of the major resorts across the country.

The "the parks are falling apart" definitely does not apply to the newly revitalized Disneyland Paris or even Disneyland Resort in Anaheim. Orlando is a different story, with many of the attractions in less-than-great condition. Still, I genuinely feel Disney World is the best it has been in many years from Cosmic Rewind to Flight of Passage, but maintenance is one area the resort lacks.

Disneyland Park is just magnificent by comparison and has also done standard-setting work keeping and updating classic attractions. It's like sure, it would be great to update Tomorrowland aesthetically and add a thrilling coaster, but it's not pressing in the way Magic Kingdom needs its "Galaxy's Edge," just because of the number of great rides that make it have the most of any park in the world. RIP Murphy I guess, though I'd imagine a night parade is on the way.

Tokyo DisneySea, with Fantasy Springs opening and assuming it will have an elite ride or two will likely be the best park in the world. It obviously is still the greatest by far in terms of theming and stands out even above Animal Kingdom, but as an experience, Anaheim's original iteration is just so unbelievably stacked with things to do it's hard to compete with it after MMRR and the Toontown update lifted the park even further. They are both similarly in need of a thrilling coaster, however.

I'm curious what this means for Disneyland Paris honestly. The executives have clearly been to Disneyland and many to Disneyland Paris and they know they need more major rides at both Parisian parks, so I guess we'll see. My money's on Lion King and Pandora which would make WDS an intriguing mash between Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios.

DisneyDean97

I hope not. For what it would cost the park needs more than a lacklustre boat ride and a short film. Not to mention the land wouldn’t feel the same as Orlando on a wet and cold January day.
If they did a completely indoor land for Pandora that could be cool, but I agree this park need something more than just a boring boat ride.
I'm just wondering what will happen first... a 3rd land around the new lake or opening the elusive Avengers E-Ticket 😂

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
If they did a completely indoor land for Pandora that could be cool, but I agree this park need something more than just a boring boat ride.
I'm just wondering what will happen first... a 3rd land around the new lake or opening the elusive Avengers E-Ticket 😂
That Avengers E-ticket better be the best ride in the world. We’ve heard about it for, how long now? With it only likely to start construction next year?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom