WDS - 3rd expansion land: Lion King (Rumour)

What is your opinion on having Lion King as the replacement for Star Wars in the WDS expansion?

• Amazing! Lion King is a great choice for a new land in WDS. Star Wars fits well in Discoveryland

Votes: 36 35.6%
  • I am okay with not having Star Wars but would have preferred something else like Avatar instead

Votes: 29 28.7%
  • No way! They should keep the original plan and built a Star Wars mini land incl. RotR in WDS

Votes: 14 13.9%
  • I don't really care as long as WDS gets any new attractions at all

Votes: 22 21.8%

• Total voters

mrflo

Original Poster
Rumours and discussions have been circulating for quite a while now. We should get a confirmation soon. But right now everything is pointing towards a Lion King (mini?) land including an elaborate water-based ride replacing a mini version of Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge (including RotR) as the third expansion land of the WDS.

What's your opinion on this? What are your expectations?

LondonTom

I just can't imagine Lion King as a whole land. It seems odd, plus you would need Pride Rock to be sizeable 😂😂

Can only imagine the transition would be a bit weird too.

I voted for the mini Star Wars land and RoTR but as I've said else where, I think you go for Mando-Verse version of Galaxy's Edge, update the rides and make it the same as size as the us.

jmuboy

I think a lion king ride replacement for the Light Motors stunt show with an entrance on the south end of the new promenade is best. Saving the Star Wars pad for a new mini land is best.

mrflo

Original Poster
I think a lion king ride replacement for the Light Motors stunt show with an entrance on the south end of the new promenade is best. Saving the Star Wars pad for a new mini land is best.

The Stunt Show arena will be used for the new Alice show as of next year. Maybe at some point the area might be repurposed for an expansion of Avengers Campus and the planned e-ticket ride from DCA.

If rumours are true, Lion King will occupy the same piece of land that was earmarked for Star Wars. It would make sense as this expansion plan has already been signed off and gone through public consultation. They only have to adjust the layout of the buildings/infrastructure from the originally published plans.

DLP%2B1.jpg

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Maybe at some point the area might be repurposed for an expansion of Avengers Campus and the planned e-ticket ride from DCA.
Indeed. Reading between the lines I’d say the Alice show was not in the plans originally, until they found out they’d still have the arena for longer than planned. But kudos for doing something with it even as a temporary quick fix.

mrflo

Original Poster
So far I have not seen any rumours for the Lion King attraction being cloned at this stage. But like with Ratatouille it does not mean that it will be exclusive to DLP forever. Especially with Disney planning to heavily invest into their parks over the next decade, they would need to hire many more Imagineers to be able to design & develop unique new attractions from scratch within such a short timeframe.

mrflo

Original Poster
That's odd. I thought they were going to go with Avatar considering how popular that IP is. Maybe Avatar can take over the third expansion pad to the right of Frozen and the Cars Road Trip attraction?
Rumour has it that Avatar would occupy the area that you mention and open a few years after LK opens. There are fan mockups that showcase that Pandora would fit very well into that piece of land.

I think it would be better to open Avatar/Pandora first and then go back to animation IPs at a later stage. As you say, Avatar is very popular and has already been translated very successfully for the Disney parks. It might help to further diversify the themes and broaden the appeal of DLP to potential new visitors. If Universal owned the Avatar IP, they would not wait that long to bring it into their parks.

TheDisneyParksfanC8

So far I have not seen any rumours for the Lion King attraction being cloned at this stage. But like with Ratatouille it does not mean that it will be exclusive to DLP forever. Especially with Disney planning to heavily invest into their parks over the next decade, they would need to hire many more Imagineers to be able to design & develop unique new attractions from scratch within such a short timeframe.
Rumour has it that Avatar would occupy the area that you mention and open a few years after LK opens. There are fan mockups that showcase that Pandora would fit very well into that piece of land.

I think it would be better to open Avatar/Pandora first and then go back to animation IPs at a later stage. As you say, Avatar is very popular and has already been translated very successfully for the Disney parks. It might help to further diversify the themes and broaden the appeal of DLP to potential new visitors. If Universal owned the Avatar IP, they would not wait that long to bring it into their parks.
Is there an expected timeframe on when this Lion King land will be open? My money is on 2027. I also expect the Avatar land down the line that will go the right of Frozen will be the same one that will go to DLR, likely at DCA. For DLR I see Avatar opening in 2028 for LA2028.

Maybe Lion King could very well be exclusive to WDSP. That park really needs a high quality land exclusive to that park. But if LK comes to a US park, my money is on AK.

mrflo

Original Poster
Rumours say that the LK attraction could open by 2028. Depending how many projects DLP will finance and construct in parallel Avatar/Pandora could then follow by 2031. So quite some time left for things to shift or totally change again.

I fully agree that the WDS really would benefit from a "high quality land exclusive to that park". Though if I had to choose between high quality and exclusive, I would always pick high quality first. Let's hope that rumours are true and LK is both.

TheDisneyParksfanC8

Rumours say that the LK attraction could open by 2028. Depending how many projects DLP will finance and construct in parallel Avatar/Pandora could then follow by 2031. So quite some time left for things to shift or totally change again.

I fully agree that the WDS really would benefit from a "high quality land exclusive to that park". Though if I had to choose between high quality and exclusive, I would always pick high quality first. Let's hope that rumours are true and LK is both.
Do you happen to have any sources that say if this Avatar land assuming it's the same "experience" Iger keeps talking up for DLR presumably at DCA will be different than Pandora at DAK? Considering by the time it opens I would imagine that they would want to incorporate elements from the sequels.

A Disney YouTuber I watch also seems to think that If Avatar is being fast tracked for DLR at least, then the Avengers E ticket is being put on the back burner. Maybe that explains why the stunt show arena behind AC is getting that Alice show.

Haymarket

That's odd. I thought they were going to go with Avatar considering how popular that IP is. Maybe Avatar can take over the third expansion pad to the right of Frozen and the Cars Road Trip attraction?
I thought that DCA's Radiator Springs Racers would eventually be cloned on the Cars Road Trip attraction's plot. I forgot where I heard that, however.

mrflo

Original Poster
Do you happen to have any sources that say if this Avatar land assuming it's the same "experience" Iger keeps talking up for DLR presumably at DCA will be different than Pandora at DAK? Considering by the time it opens I would imagine that they would want to incorporate elements from the sequels.
Considering that Bob Iger did not say that a clone of DAK's Pandora but a version of an Avatar experience is coming to DLR, I assume that it will be different and potentially lean further into the sequels as well. Comments found in a D23 article seem to point into the same direction:

"Cameron, director of the Avatar films said. “I was thrilled to talk with Bob Iger about additional opportunities for people to step into the wondrous world of Pandora.”

Added Jon Landau, partner and producer of the Avatar films, “Together with Disney’s Imagineers, and with future Avatar films already in production, we’re excited about where we might be able take future guests.
”"

This might just end up to be a copy of FoP but with a new ride movie including new locations - à la Star Tours. WDS would definitely benefit from those plans as as well. I guess we will find out more about the DLR experience at some point within the next year.

Source: D23: Avatar: The Way of Water Stars React to News of an Avatar Experience Coming to Disneyland Resort

mrflo

Original Poster
It might also end up just being a walk through exhibit. Shudder.
If they aim for a fast track option, that could happen - hopefully just as an interim solution. 🫤

DLR president Ken Potrock did not even know about the plans when Bob Iger made the announcement about Avatar coming to Anaheim. So it sounds like that it was something that Bob decided and wanted to announce for the earnings call. And now it's up to WDI and DLR teams to make it happen. I would not mind Bob doing the same for DLP/WDS. ;)

What is encouraging me about the project is that Jim Cameron & his team are involved again. Cameron is a perfectionist and would not settle with something mediocre for his franchise. Ken Potrock also confirmed that they are "thinking bold".

TheDisneyParksfanC8

Considering that Bob Iger did not say that a clone of DAK's Pandora but a version of an Avatar experience is coming to DLR, I assume that it will be different and potentially lean further into the sequels as well. Comments found in a D23 article seem to point into the same direction:

"Cameron, director of the Avatar films said. “I was thrilled to talk with Bob Iger about additional opportunities for people to step into the wondrous world of Pandora.”

Added Jon Landau, partner and producer of the Avatar films, “Together with Disney’s Imagineers, and with future Avatar films already in production, we’re excited about where we might be able take future guests.
”"

This might just end up to be a copy of FoP but with a new ride movie including new locations - à la Star Tours. WDS would definitely benefit from those plans as as well. I guess we will find out more about the DLR experience at some point within the next year.

Source: D23: Avatar: The Way of Water Stars React to News of an Avatar Experience Coming to Disneyland Resort
If they aim for a fast track option, that could happen - hopefully just as an interim solution. 🫤

DLR president Ken Potrock did not even know about the plans when Bob Iger made the announcement about Avatar coming to Anaheim. So it sounds like that it was something that Bob decided and wanted to announce for the earnings call. And now it's up to WDI and DLR teams to make it happen. I would not mind Bob doing the same for DLP/WDS. ;)

What is encouraging me about the project is that Jim Cameron & his team are involved again. Cameron is a perfectionist and would not settle with something mediocre for his franchise. Ken Potrock also confirmed that they are "thinking bold".
With Disneyland Forward getting approval in early 2024, hopefully Disney will spill the beams on DLR's future at D23 2024. Part of the reason why I think they are referring to this as an "experience" rather than a land is because they don't want the city of Anaheim to take issue with something and have that derail DL Forward entirely. One of the things I hope they would build is an updated FOP that uses the Original quinjet Avengers E ticket ride system. Would it be possible for Disney to time it so the Avengers E ticket opens in 2027 followed up by Avatar in 2028 for LA2028?

Rumours and discussions have been circulating for quite a while now. We should get a confirmation soon. But right now everything is pointing towards a Lion King (mini?) land including an elaborate water-based ride replacing a mini version of Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge (including RotR) as the third expansion land of the WDS.

What's your opinion on this? What are your expectations?
I have my doubts about this… they have also said that there would be a Tangled land but we haven’t seen any progress about this… The only thing that really happened was the Avengers Campus, which was fantastic. Lion King is my favorite Disney movie and would love if there was an land dedicated to this movie! So, If that is true I’m really happy to know ! Keep giving more information about this topic plss !

J4546

I thought that DCA's Radiator Springs Racers would eventually be cloned on the Cars Road Trip attraction's plot. I forgot where I heard that, however.
i doubt that would happen just because those mountains in the background are so massive the back side would be seen from Disneyland

co10064

Premium Member
i doubt that would happen just because those mountains in the background are so massive the back side would be seen from Disneyland
While true, I think they could blend the back side of the Cars Land mountain range in such a way that it's not too far off from Frontierland's peaks. Then again, Cars Land is just fan wishful thinking.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom