WDS - 3rd expansion land: Lion King (Rumour)

What is your opinion on having Lion King as the replacement for Star Wars in the WDS expansion?

• Amazing! Lion King is a great choice for a new land in WDS. Star Wars fits well in Discoveryland

Votes: 36 35.6%
  • I am okay with not having Star Wars but would have preferred something else like Avatar instead

Votes: 29 28.7%
  • No way! They should keep the original plan and built a Star Wars mini land incl. RotR in WDS

Votes: 14 13.9%
  • I don't really care as long as WDS gets any new attractions at all

Votes: 22 21.8%

• Total voters

fradz

I think LK is a lock-in. I also think something new is coming to Parc Disneyland. The rest is a bit hard to say, and it's too early for the 3rd gate, I'm not expecting announcement any time soon on that. They still have plenty of time contractually. Time to go back to the parks and check regarding LK & Parc Disneyland expansion.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
That's if they even go ahead with it, weren't they (Disney) in a similar situation in Hong Kong and they let it lapse, losing the future expansion land for a 2nd park?
They’re not quite the same; HKDL said they couldn’t commit to a second gate once the 20 year option ran out and so the government now have first choice for the land - with limitations in law including can’t be used for housing, retail, high density development or entertainment.

Paris extended the 3rd gate option and currently have until 2036 to announce a plan, or to extend their option again subject to approval.

Sir_Cliff

They’re not quite the same; HKDL said they couldn’t commit to a second gate once the 20 year option ran out and so the government now have first choice for the land - with limitations in law including can’t be used for housing, retail, high density development or entertainment.

Paris extended the 3rd gate option and currently have until 2036 to announce a plan, or to extend their option again subject to approval.
Obviously a lot can change in that time, but at least at present it seems that Disney has better relations with the government in France than Hong Kong. Obviously, the HK government owns a big chunk of the resort, but that seems to make it more of a political target and creates an imperative for the Hong Kong government to want to appear strict with Disney in exchange for public investment in the resort. At any rate, it's hard to imagine there will be a sound business case for a second park in Hong Kong any time in the foreseeable future.

At this point, it at least looks like the French government is very happy with all the revenue and employment Disneyland Paris brings in. They don't really seem to have any incentive to make life too tough for the resort by, for example, taking away their right to land if they don't build a third park before there's a business case for one.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Obviously a lot can change in that time, but at least at present it seems that Disney has better relations with the government in France than Hong Kong. Obviously, the HK government owns a big chunk of the resort, but that seems to make it more of a political target and creates an imperative for the Hong Kong government to want to appear strict with Disney in exchange for public investment in the resort. At any rate, it's hard to imagine there will be a sound business case for a second park in Hong Kong any time in the foreseeable future.

At this point, it at least looks like the French government is very happy with all the revenue and employment Disneyland Paris brings in. They don't really seem to have any incentive to make life too tough for the resort by, for example, taking away their right to land if they don't build a third park before there's a business case for one.
Master plans for Hong Kong show huge ideas with highways across the sea stemming from the second gate. Extending the Resort line. Etc etc. But it’s just as likely to become public open space (in conjunction with Disney?). They have no plans for it as things stand. And despite the current stance don’t want to rock the boat as it were.

The French government don’t have a choice; legally Disney can say “we will wait” or “we want to extend the period we want to wait for”.

nickys

Premium Member
I believe it was / is 22 million park visitors per year.

Also worth noting the development doesn’t have to explicitly be a “theme park”, just a “tourist attraction”. Lava Lagoon anyone?
I believe it was / is 22 million park visitors per year.

Also worth noting the development doesn’t have to explicitly be a “theme park”, just a “tourist attraction”. Lava Lagoon anyone?
I remember reading about Lava Lagoon. Is that the water park that would have been inside a giant dome?

fradz

I remember reading about Lava Lagoon. Is that the water park that would have been inside a giant dome?
yeah, mostly under dome with a big volcano in the middle (think Volcano Bay)

1705420755087.jpeg

Brer Oswald

I’m more excited about the potential of this area/attraction than I have been for anything in the US parks over the past 15 or so years. The IP choice is right (surprised it took this long). Just have to hope the execution is as good.

Timothy_Q

Still extremely curious about what a Lion King land would look like and how it would function, considering there are no man-made structures in that world

They will either make shops/restaurants/queues look like African architecture, or the land will be 100% "natural" and everything will be housed inside rockwork/trees/etc

Both options will require bigger creative leeway than most IP lands

J4546

i love lion king but am concerned about a few things
1. if they build it they will have 2 animated IPs around the lake which means the 3rd will either be animated to balance it out or not. Id rather not have 3 animated based lands but watevs.
2. rumors for a log flume style ride are what ive heard. I love log flumes but building 2 water rides in a rainy cold climate park is not great imo.
3. regardless of what they put there it better have more than 1 ride, these 1 ride lands are NOT it imo.

mrflo

Original Poster
Still extremely curious about what a Lion King land would look like and how it would function, considering there are no man-made structures in that world

That's pure speculation from my side. Though looking how The Lion King has been brought to life for the Broadway musical and shows in the parks, I would expect them not to go the realistic adaption route but rather rely on a more abstract design that uses African symbols and very bright & earthy colour palettes. Think of the "I just can't wait to be King" animation sequence and how its colours and shapes are more playful and imaginative. If they apply this kind of concept/design to most of the land, it would stand out from anything else in DLP and be also quite different from Adventureland. Like in the show "Festival of the Lion King" it's a pure fun celebration of the movie and would not need any real explanation why humans are there/invited.

x1080
7284789254c7a0d9938aa18bfda00173.1000x563x1.jpg

Here is also one example from the LK show in HKDL that applies the more abstract design.
Ddf8qTnVAAAnoxs.jpg:large

TheLewisHK

I think the design challenges are what makes the Lion King idea more exciting for me - how will imagineering overcome this and tell the story of the land? The challenge is what makes room for innovation and creative exploration.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom